New Sync Strike - Available Now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: New Sync Strike - Available Now!

Post by Fudoh »

A sync stripper won't change this. The flickering is probably caused by the TV handling the input as 480i instead of 240p. If your TV has got a VGA input and you're using a 60Hz SNES, then a linedoubler would be the easiest solution.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Decent ArcadeForge Case for the Scaler :)

blog entry with high resolution pics.
http://bencao74.blogspot.com/2011/07/sc ... ished.html

Price for case is 19€. Sorry I was in hurry and had only time to shoot some quick pics from my workbench desk. More nice looking pics follows.

http://www.arcadeforge.de/?page_id=880#scalercase
fagin

Post by fagin »

That looks pretty "nifty" to me! 8)
Grumbleduke

Post by Grumbleduke »

Yep. Im clicking an order for one as i type. :D Tested Japanese Master System and modded PC Engine Duo R with strike/vga-cga/slg and they passed with flying colours b.t.w.
"Hands up who likes me."
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

Ok, I think my Sync Strike is defective. The Sync Strike does not work at all.

I am using it with a DVDO Edge upscaler. Other people seem to use this device fine with the DVDO Edge.

I used a VGA to 5-BNC adapter, plugged it into the component2/PC input on the back of my DVDO Edge. No signal. I switched the H and V cables just to make sure that wasn't it, still no picture. I flicked the switch that says external psu/power from SCART, still no picture. I even changed the jumper that says csync/hsync, still no picture.

I know it's not the VGA to BNC adapter because it works just fine with my Dreamcast. Even so, I tried the screw terminals on the Sync strike, thinking maybe the VGA port is bad, and I got no picture. I tried several different game consoles, so I know it's not the SCART cable. Is this thing defective or is there more I have to do with my DVDO Edge?
fagin

Post by fagin »

a) If you're connecting this from a SCART RGB console to your EDGE, don't connect the Vertical Sync phono to the EDGE. Just connect the Horizontal (top) phono on the EDGE
b) CSYNC jumper / switch should be enabled on the Sync Strike
c) You may need to feed it external PWR (regardless of whether or not the light comes on, as it depends on how much PWR your SCART is carrying)

Which consoles have you tried?
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

fagin wrote:a) If you're connecting this from a SCART RGB console to your EDGE, don't connect the Vertical Sync phono to the EDGE. Just connect the Horizontal (top) phono on the EDGE
c) You may need to feed it external PWR (regardless of whether or not the light comes on, as it depends on how much PWR your SCART is carrying)

Ok, I will not connect the vertical sync, but I thought the whole point of the SyncStrike was for it to take composite sync and give it H and V sync? Either way I'll try that.

I will try the external power thing as well. Gotta find a donor AC brick. I'm assuming polarity is important here?

I am trying it with an NES (modded for RGB and SCART), SNES, and Genesis/MegaDrive. None work (all work fine with my composite transcoder, though).
fagin

Post by fagin »

Hamburglar wrote:
fagin wrote:a) If you're connecting this from a SCART RGB console to your EDGE, don't connect the Vertical Sync phono to the EDGE. Just connect the Horizontal (top) phono on the EDGE

Ok, I will not connect the vertical sync, but I thought the whole point of the SyncStrike was for it to take composite sync and give it H and V sync? Either way I'll try that.

I will try the external power thing as well. Gotta find a donor AC brick. I'm assuming polarity is important here?

I am trying it with an NES (modded for RGB and SCART), SNES, and Genesis/MegaDrive. None work (all work fine with my composite transcoder, though).
I wouldn't recommend getting the polarity wrong with a PCB that uses IC's! :mrgreen:

Well my SNES never had enough juice through the SCART, so I needed to use an external PSU.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

fagin wrote:
Hamburglar wrote:

I wouldn't recommend getting the polarity wrong with a PCB that uses IC's! :mrgreen:

Well my SNES never had enough juice through the SCART, so I needed to use an external PSU.
Ah it might be as simple as the PSU then. What type of PSU do you recommend?
fagin

Post by fagin »

An old phone charger should suffice.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

Ok so I got a 5v power brick from an old phone and I'm ready to rip the tip off and splice it into this thing. How do I know if the polarity is right so I don't fry it? There are no markings on the Sync Strike to tell me what's negative and positive.
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

Scaler case looks great... exactly what I hoped for :D
I just ordered 1.
Don't bomb. DON'T BOMB.
Damn! Should have bombed.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Hamburglar wrote:Ok so I got a 5v power brick from an old phone and I'm ready to rip the tip off and splice it into this thing. How do I know if the polarity is right so I don't fry it? There are no markings on the Sync Strike to tell me what's negative and positive.
There should be! ;)

5v = 5v positive
GND = Negative
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

fagin wrote:
Hamburglar wrote:Ok so I got a 5v power brick from an old phone and I'm ready to rip the tip off and splice it into this thing. How do I know if the polarity is right so I don't fry it? There are no markings on the Sync Strike to tell me what's negative and positive.
There should be! ;)

5v = 5v positive
GND = Negative
Ok thanks! Now the light stays on even if nothing is plugged into the SCART cable :)

But I'm still getting no image. I have the jumper set to csync, and a VGA to 5 RCA going from the Sync Strike to the PC/Component 2 input on the back of the Edge. No matter how many different ways I plug it in (H only, V only, both H and V, swap the H and V) nothing works. I'm getting no picture :(

Again, I know the VGA to RCA 5 is working fine because I get a perfect display from my Dreamcast's VGA port.

Please help!
gumbo

Post by gumbo »

Hi Hamburger. I too heard about this device to make old consoles look good on modern TV's. Ordered the full kit and waited for package to arrive. It's not a full kit though.. There are no instructions so it's a little tricky if you are new to all of this. Missing from the kit are 3x male to male VGA cables and a 5v power supply so just order those from somewhere.

Not all consoles work with it. Play around with the cga2vga buttons. Eventually you will be able to get it to English and be able to set the res to 640x480

Start with a recent console like the Wii and then move back to older consoles. For me the pal SNES and usa N64 (rgb modded) didn't work but Wii, Gamecube, PS2, PS1 and Megadrive (& the cable TV box) worked great
Last edited by gumbo on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
hellbelly

Post by hellbelly »

I haven't tried the kit myself, but that Scaler PCB, no matter where you buy it from, it doesn't come with a PSU, it's designed for use in projects such as this so the manufacturer doesn't include one as people may want to use a dedicated PSU, power it off of their Cab etc etc.

The packaging for my scaler said it needs 5v DC, minimum of 2 amp, I think it says it on the PCB too. You can use either of the connectors.

Pete
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

About the docs:

I`ve added a PDF manual for the scaler to my site:

http://www.joca-tech.de/docs/gbs-8220_c ... r_rev1.pdf

- Scaler PSU : I`m working on fitting and regulated PSUs for the scaler. I`ll add is as option for the DIY kit.
- VGA Cables: I ddin't find any not crossed male changers, so I´ve developed some for my own. I put them also on the site when available. I`m waiting for parts.i

So the basics in the DIY kits will be delivered and the common things like PSU and Adapters could be added as an option.

Neanwhile I´m working on a shop with order status and all this things. The old one is of course valid, the new one also. I`ve to fill the products.

http://wp1114205.wp150.webpack.hosteuro ... /login.php

Here`s the URL for the new shop, it takes already orders. If something is odd, please get in touch.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I ddin't find any not crossed male changers, so I´ve developed some for my own
you mean gender changers ? Why would you need crossed ones ? I'm using a least a dozen VGA gender changers all over my setup and never paid attention to anything special.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

The ones I`ve found have only crossed connectors.

So when I want to plug Sync Strike to the Scaler PCB one of the PCB bottom is up. Sure, this is absolute no problem when the PCBs are in an enclosure or something.
But I want the complete chain in a nicely manner connected without extra cables together.

Then I have

MAK Strike -- scart cable -- [Sync Strike --gender changer-- Scaler --gender changer-- SLG3000]

This works with all the already available gender changer of course. ;)

Finally I`m prepared to design a all in one case for this chain. I`ve played around with a acryl prototype. This prototype is a arcade stick right now (little idea to get the money back for the prototype cost) . Anyhow the motivation for this study was to get impression about the joints, sturdiness, frame and connectors and such.

Here some connectors like SCART, VGA out, Audio Cinch, knob for scanline intensity, PSU plug etc could inserted. Here I`m using a Neutrik USB connector. This connectors a really simple to use (just 24mm circle hole).

Wall is 6mm. I don`t think that a scaler case needs such a strong material

The frame for a scaler case could be reduced to three layer each 8mm or even 6mm

enough Place for mods, perhaps even for a complete console PCB.

perhaps some PCB mounting shelf should be included. I`ve drilled here a PCB just simple to a part of the frame.

In general for such a case much planning and work is left. Don't expect any results this year ... ;) just some thoughts

PIC in better resolution (http://bencao74.blogspot.com/2011/08/he ... ustom.html)
shaurz

Post by shaurz »

I finally got around to testing my sync strike. I am using it with the CGA2VGA scaler.

My first test has led to disappointment. With a Mega Drive at 50Hz (Asian PAL), the picture jumps up and down. It looks like it would be great, if it stayed in one place. Maybe at 60Hz it isn't a problem.

Also I could not get SCART power to work. I checked and there was definitely 5V on pin 8 of the SCART, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. What pin does the sync strike use for ground? It's not a big issue since I can power it from the scaler anyway.

Edit: Tried it with my RGB modded PC Engine... no picture at all. Only audio. The LED on the sync strike doesn't light up.
fagin

Post by fagin »

What ground are you referring to?

No lighty no power. Even a light does not guarantee enough juice.

Can't comment on a 50hz MD I'm afraid.
hellbelly

Post by hellbelly »

shaurz wrote:I finally got around to testing my sync strike. I am using it with the CGA2VGA scaler.

My first test has led to disappointment. With a Mega Drive at 50Hz (Asian PAL), the picture jumps up and down. It looks like it would be great, if it stayed in one place. Maybe at 60Hz it isn't a problem.

Also I could not get SCART power to work. I checked and there was definitely 5V on pin 8 of the SCART, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. What pin does the sync strike use for ground? It's not a big issue since I can power it from the scaler anyway.

Edit: Tried it with my RGB modded PC Engine... no picture at all. Only audio. The LED on the sync strike doesn't light up.
I had problems with my MD on my scaler using my own sync stripper, but the sync strike worked straight away with it. I've also used it with a modded PCE, which I know is wired fine as I did the mod, and thus worked fine with the sync strike. Maybe pin 8 isn't wired properly on the PCE? I've seen a few recently that had no power going to this pin at all :-(

For the MD, Have you tried holding down the Auto button to adjust the picture? I've tried a lot of consoles at 50 and 60hz with no problems.

Ta
Pete
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Hey,

and here my cents

If you use the cga2vga scaler (gbs8220) you should have a 5V PSU either way. Use this one. I`ve experienced that sync strike -> scaler works best with exact 5V power supply for sync strike. Let us know of any updates
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

bencao74 wrote:Hey,

and here my cents

If you use the cga2vga scaler (gbs8220) you should have a 5V PSU either way. Use this one. I`ve experienced that sync strike -> scaler works best with exact 5V power supply for sync strike. Let us know of any updates
Use which one? Did you mean to link to something?

I tried a 5V power supply and my SyncStrike is too dark, maybe I need a different power adapter.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

@Hamburglar : this was my recommendation for shaurz. Anyway, please tell your setup. If the picture is to dark on your TV try to set it brighter.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Lol, that sounded sarcastic... He means it's stupidly dark. Could this be caused by lack of power to the Sync Strike?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
fagin

Post by fagin »

The minimum I have tried it with is a regulated 4.5v and it was fine.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

I am using it with a DVDO Edge upscaler. Other people seem to use this device fine with the DVDO Edge.

I used a VGA to 5-BNC adapter, plugged it into the component2/PC input on the back of my DVDO Edge. No signal. I switched the H and V cables just to make sure that wasn't it, still no picture. I flicked the switch that says external psu/power from SCART, still no picture. I even changed the jumper that says csync/hsync, still no picture.
I also have a DVDO Edge and the same problem. You have done all right, the problem is your console outputs 60hz, change to a 50hz console and you will see all working fine.

PS: Sorry for my bad English
fagin

Post by fagin »

Overkill wrote:

I also have a DVDO Edge and the same problem. You have done all right, the problem is your console outputs 60hz, change to a 50hz console and you will see all working fine.

PS: Sorry for my bad English
Not true!

I have no issues with 60hz consoles, the Sync Strike and connection to the DVDO EDGE.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Not true!

I have no issues with 60hz consoles, the Sync Strike and connection to the DVDO EDGE.
Maybe you have original 60hz consoles, or a good mod, my consoles are all european PAL 50hz and have been home moded to output 60hz and the true is that they don't work on my dvdo edge in 60hz mode, with or without a sync strike. I connected them directly to dvdo edge and no image (dvdo edge says unsuported signal), i change to 50hz and voilá, image comes to life.

Actually there is no problem for me as i connect all my scart consoles first to a Xrgb3 and then to my dvdo edge