How about hand-drawn graphics

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Dewclaw

How about hand-drawn graphics

Post by Dewclaw »

I'm trying to get started working on the graphics for a character-based shmup(that is, not spaceships) and I see alot of people talking about pixeling for the sprites. I suck at pixeling and would like to make everything hand-drawn. Both me and the man with the programming skills are pretty much new at this so I was wondering, is a hand drawn shootemup doable? Can anyone show me an example of one(or any kind of game with hand-drawn, not mouse-drawn graphics)? I thank ya.
landshark

Post by landshark »

You could get a wacom tablet and hand-draw them into a pixel program.

It's also feasible to draw them and scan them in, but you are undoubtably going to have to touch them up with a mouse (or wacom tablet, it's just easier) to get the edges and coloring right.
Dewclaw

Post by Dewclaw »

So that's how it has to be. Well, I have a wacom but for some reason I can only color on computer, not draw...just can't get steady lines when I use a tablet.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

If you read the great ESPRade interview translated by GaijinPunch, you'd find out they only hand drew the scrolling backgrounds. The characters and enemys are all 3d polys which were animated, and then flattened into 2d sprites. Apparently it saved a lot of time from hand animating the "tweens".

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~japangaming ... 6&p=1[url]
Dewclaw

Post by Dewclaw »

Wow, very clever...if I ever get into polygon work I'll have to remember that.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

If you know how to keyframe animate then you could feasibly hand draw, then ink all your sprites, and then scan in all your individual keyframes and animate them in-code. It would be quite difficult though, and pretty time consuming (but not as time-consuming as pixelling, although the effects can be very nice, like this guy's work.