How do I get my PVM-2530 (NTSC) to display RGB?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
scrilla4rella

How do I get my PVM-2530 (NTSC) to display RGB?

Post by scrilla4rella »

Ok, I've recently purchased three Sony PVM-2530 monitors, specifically for my Sigma AV5000, Sega Saturn and SNES. Obviously my goal is to get them to display an RGB signal. I've been spending a lot of time reading up on different conection types but i'm still a bit confused. Could someone explain to me the best method for hooking up my Supergun and Saturn to the PVM-2530?

I know that RGB SCART cables are easily obtainable for many different systems. I also know that monitors in NA do not have SCART inputs. I've been looking at some converters like the SCART to BNC Breakout Board but I'm not sure if I connect such an adapter to the the BNC input or the 25-pin D-sub input. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. I apologise in advance for my ignorance. I've been wanting to get into the RGB thing for the last 6 years. It's finally within reach, I just need a little help to make my dream come true.

Edit: looks like RGB is only carried through the 25-pin multi connector so it looks like I need to get/make a SCART/RGB > 25-pin multi connector adaptor.
neorichieb1971

Re: How do I get my PVM-2530 (NTSC) to display RGB?

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I had what your looking for but sold it a long time ago. Someone on the forum built it for me.

the cable came in two pieces. The main part that went into the monitor was DB25 and 4 or 5 feet long, the other end was DB9 female I think. What this guy did was make AV cables about 6" in length for each console. From the console end it had the respective AV cable connector and they all ended in a male DB9 to connect to the other part of the cable which was female. It worked really well.

What is not that well documented is changing the screen sizes. Which I can help you with if you feel like taking it apart. Its a pain in the ass though. Especially for supergun usage.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

I have the 25 pin connector and a female scart connector that would make an adaptor for you to hook your systems up if you would like to buy them. I'd volunteer to make it for you but since I don't have a test monitor (mine is a newer pvm that does rgb via BNC cables) that makes things harder since it took some trial and error to get my adaptors to work.
Ramza

Post by Ramza »

scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Thanks for the replies guys! It's great to know that I'm not going at it alone. I've been doing some more research and I came across this. http://tsenzen.blogspot.com/2007/04/son ... -test.html It makes me think that the the job isn't so difficult. I may even give it a try myself.
@Keil: "trial and error"? Ugh-oh, maybe it isn't as simple as the blog post linked above suggests.
@neorichieb1971: That sounds pretty nice. What do you mean by "changing the screen size". Are you talking about configuring the PVM-2530 or changing the output of the Sigma supergun?

I'd certainly be willing to pay someone for their time and the parts to make a 25-pin -> female SCART cable. If anyone has the spare parts and the time please let me know.

One more thing that I was wondering about was whether to make/get the 25-pin -> female Scart connector in a Japanese SCART or European SCART configuration. I already have an official Super Famicom Scart cable but if finding JPN SCART cables for my Saturn and AV5000 is a big pain in the ass then I may want to configure the adapter to Euro SCART and just get the cables from somewhere like retrogammingcables.co.uk