PIXEL FIGHTERS - THE MOST OLDSCHOOL SHMUP EVER MADE!

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
tiaoferreira

Re: PIXEL FIGHTERS - THE MOST OLDSCHOOL SHMUP EVER MADE!

Post by tiaoferreira »

NEW UPDATES TO YOU TEST

Hope you enjoy the soundtrack. Remember, this game is a HOMAGE and it will be distributed totally free. the soundtrack was obtained from various websites that share video and music. Owners and performers will be mentioned in credits.

Not all of 40 stages and 40 bosses soundtrack are implemented, and not all of 40 bosses are available to fight. The stages that their bosses are not available will run forever, until the player DIES. :)

Please, forgive some remaining bugs like cars running over water and debris appearing above aircrafts. I've not time to work to fix them.

Have fun!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/61s49 ... aviao4.swf
shoot_me_up_roll

Post by shoot_me_up_roll »

I like your artstyle.
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

TKS, bro, the idea is follow the RIVER RAID graphic style. Is too fun (and hard, heheh) to develop this game :)
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

I've found more BOSS pics from the beginning...

SUPERHEAVY HOVERCRAFT (CLOSED MODE)

VULTUR RAPINANT

X-PANZER KANONE

HMS HORRENDOUS (CARRIER VERSION)

HEAVY CHOPPER

MEGATRAIN
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

Well, it's time to show the updates:

I built a poor score system, using flash + php + txt, you play and send your score. But, I can't make the scoreboard work correctly, and it does not register player scores by number of points, but by sending order. In fact, I adapted one tutorial from "guestbook", replacing some data like "message", "e-mail" and "website" by "score", "name" and "enemy destroyed".

Hope you enjoy the soundtrack! Is pure metal!

Note: When the site is open, you must click on usable area of game, for activate

http://samysofigames.esy.es/pixelfighters/pixel.html
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

Played it, thought it's pretty nice. A few things:
-You may consider speeding up the bullet speed of the player. Looking at River Raid, you can see the bullets there are at least double or triple the speed your using. Your bullets feel almost like missiles, instead of fast moving bullets. It will make the player feel more strong. Just a thought.
-Once I got into the city area, I had green bullets.. but some odd bug occurred where my bullets passed through everything, and nothing died. I dodged things for a while, then crashed and died.
Good luck!
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

Thanks for your evaluation and considerations, man! The green, yellow and red weapons are not implemented for all targets yet. The game still has too many bugs, the actual things what you're seeing are only for performance tests.

The saga of development continues... :)

Now, with high scores registration.
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

Well, I like bombs. Every battle, every war, has bombs.

So, there are four types of bombs in "PIXEL FIGHTERS", and each of them has a specific function:

The default bomb, at starting game, is BLUE. It is a "spread bomb" and its strong point is to destroy quickly any little enemies on perimeter, and also is capable to cause several damage on strongest enemies, but it does not destroy enemy bullets. The inspiration is from yellow RAIDEN bomb;

The RED bomb is like famous "GRAND SLAM", it release a strong and heavy charge of TNT, destroying any type of enemy, but only in one direction (from down to up). It does not destroy enemy bullets too;

The GREEN bomb is a powerful air strike, and it clears the screen of anything enemy objects, including enemy bullets. A big bomber drop the charge with parachutes;

The YELLOW bomb is a massive bomb inspired on RAIDEN RED BOMB. It clear the screen, but only under middle to down, and destroy enemy bullets too.

The use of bombs has some prices: player obtains less points and loses some bonus at the end of stage. Basic and classic punishment :)

Anyway, if player needs to use, DO IT!
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

Here you can view some cutscenes (flash animation):

http://tiaoferreira.deviantart.com/art/ ... -630007277

Here you can view how the cutscenes were made:
http://tiaoferreira.deviantart.com/art/ ... -629990178

Building a piece of procedural map:

The 1st boss firing at will:
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

Well, The game is not complete yet, but some stages are playable. Enjoy.

http://www.samysofigames.esy.es/pixelfi ... pixel.html
Taizen Chisou

Post by Taizen Chisou »

It... seems like it plays pretty solidly, but it's having trouble on my laptop somehow. It might just be the Flash platform but I do experience some slight frame chug, basically .... throughout.
Game's alright- I must note some really wonky layer numbering issues (The player being drawn underneath the flames of destroyed ground-based objects, for instance) and the fact that the general lack of iframes, crazy high respawn position, and plethora of enemies coming from behind early on in stage one makes things come off a little more difficult than I feel needs to be.
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

Thanks for your evaluation. In true, there is not a mandatory sequence for missions, you can choose anyone between 1 and 40. To follow the numeric order does not has influence (yet) over the general results, perhaps I use this factor to unlock the secret missions (I've planed 5, until now ).

The game is really too heavy, I made some mistakes that cause lag when there are too many objects on screen. Some of them are not removed when they're out of screen, and I must fix this error to gain performance in game.

The mechanics I developed/adapted for this game are unusual, this is main cause to its long development process...

About the soundtrack, it runs ok? The game has more of 80 music, and I did not implemented all yet.
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

Hi, all!

Glad to be alive, hehehe!

After the death of Flash, I'll migrate this project to GML (someday, hehehe).
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Funny timing, tiaoferreira, I was just making a comeback announcement myself. Good to hear you're doing okay. :)

Obligatory shill, but in case you didn't know, GM is now free for non-commercial use! Never been a better time to get into it than now, if time and real life lets you.