Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I'm mildly annoyed by hearing basically everyone talking about that crappy sub (that's either imploded already or is suffocating its occupants). Specifically, I'm annoyed at hearing everyone either completely fail to identify the controller shown, or shit on Logitech as if their hardware were bad (it's not). I've heard it referred to as an N64 controller, a Gamecube controller, an Xbox controller, a knock-off Playstation controller, and so on.

The thing is, it looks like a wireless version of the same controller they've made since 2010, the F310 which is a decently serviceable controller for analog PC games. It's not like, Xbox One controller precise necessarily, but it works perfectly fine, and the only reason it's a highly questionable control choice is because they're using a wireless controller with no evidence of USB backup, no evidence of hardwired controls or hydraulic controls in case of electronics failures. The controller itself, when not being used to send gullible rich people to their deaths on a group masturbation ego stroking trip in a coffin with a porthole (with a bucket toilet), is perfectly fine.
BIL

Post by BIL »

For that kind of precision it's Seimitsu or nothing imo. Image
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Please don't waste perfectly good arcade hardware by burying it at the bottom of the ocean along with your dumb ass.

Wasting some junky Logitech wireless crap is fine, though.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Imagine you bust out a sick WR down there and nobody ever sees it :o :shock:

Imagine you use your last 1% of battery to upload it insteada contacting GPS :cool: /true man ending
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

You better be playing In the Hunt down there. But it doesn't look like they had any time for any extended gaming sessions down there, anyway.

https://www.cnn.com/americas/live-news/ ... 5df5e60784

https://www.cnn.com/americas/live-news/ ... 55247626f5

RIP in peace.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The criminal negligence here is shocking. No certification whatsoever, painfully inappropriate materials, a know-it-all CEO who thinks his crappy hardware store submersible is equivalent to one made by professional engineers...

The 19 year old kid is what gets me here. The kid apparently didn't want to go, but because dear old dad was super into the Titanic, he went along. And of course it was Father's Day. Did the kid notice how crappy the outfit was and attempt to back out? Was he embarrassed about dad getting pissed about wasting a non refundable 250,000 dollar ticket? Was the CEO so used-car-salesman slick that he used his silver tongue to convince them all it was safe? Awful.

Reminds me of the time my dad surprised me with a glider flight (a small plane with no engine, you're towed into the air by an actual plane and fly on thermals). I did not want to go because there was no particular reason to risk my safety on something like that, but I went anyways due to feeling similar pressure. But, in my case, the glider was at a professional airfield, the pilot was in the military, gliders have relatively low risk of something going seriously wrong due to relying on only a small number of components, and it was only 30 minutes, tops. This thing was insanely dangerous, and I struggle to believe that it actually made it to the Titanic previously.

Some idiot who went on a ride and survived wrote an incredibly stupid piece on CNN where he praises the CEO non-stop despite him being clearly responsible for their deaths. The guy's been compressed to a fine paste at the bottom of the ocean along with four other people due to his incompetence, I think it's time to take his dick outta your mouth.
world's biggest goddamn moron wrote:I’ve watched the narrative in the media shift from shock, to hope, and when hope fades, to blame. But when someone dies climbing Mount Everest, it’s not always the fault of the ropes or the tools or even the Sherpa who brought them there. Sometimes you just have to blame the mountain.
Get a bunch of people killed in your shitty unlicensed sub? It's okay because you were a brave visionary! :roll: :lol:

As others have pointed out, it's really irritating to see libertarian entrepreneurial types shit on market regulation and be gleefully delighted to jeopardize people's lives in order to make a few bucks, but suddenly demand public spending to bail them out when the predictable consequences of their actions catch up to them. At least the militaries involved here can treat this waste of time as a training exercise...

tl;dr don't fucking buy people dangerous thrill rides they don't fucking want as presents, I don't give a shit how much you think skydiving is a lifechanging experience, so is dying if the parachute doesn't deploy
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sounds like these jokers were more Action 52 than IREM M92. 3; Cheetahmen 2 WR attempt? Zone V awaits either way. Image

Actually that's a terrible slander on the UN Spacy. Silver Hawk had survived a brutal dogfight with a heavily-armed cybernetic eel. The jerkoffs who made this thing just lugged some carbon fibre rolls back from Camper World.
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:The guy's been compressed to a fine paste at the bottom of the ocean along with four other people due to his incompetence, I think it's time to take his dick outta your mouth.
:lol:

That opinion piece about "blaming the mountain" is so fuckin rich it's giving me gout. There's been a lot of dunking on those involved simply for the attempt... needless to say, condemning shitty manufacturing and safety standards =/= writing off human endeavour.

The company's history with David Lochridge and co. seems illustrative. I'm halfway out the door but I don't think it was referenced in the opinion piece? Will have to give a closer look later.

"Obsessed with safety," huh. I guess CEO bro should be happy, his final act in this world took out a few of his hated Old White Guys. >_> Including himself! Now that's a commit to the bit. :shock:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BIL wrote:That opinion piece about "blaming the mountain" is so fuckin rich it's giving me gout. There's been a lot of dunking on those involved simply for the attempt... needless to say, condemning shitty manufacturing and safety standards =/= writing off human endeavour.
There's a shocking amount of apologetics by people who think "new" and "innovative" are virtues. If something is scientifically untenable from a basic engineering standpoint, and raises immediate red flags to anyone with any kind of industry expertise, the fact that it's never been done before is not necessarily a good thing! It's just like those idiots who connect a bunch of people into giving them millions of dollars in the promise of making highways out of glass tiles (!!!) and putting solar panels in them (!!!), and had tons of commenters whining about skeptics (i.e. people who understand why you don't make highways out of glass tiles) for failure to appreciate "innovation".

I loathe utopianism in general. Space travel is entirely a waste of resources at this point when our planet is currently hurtling towards a point of no return climate tipping point in the next few hundred years, and we have tons of good, existing technologies that are simply being underutilized (wind turbines, high speed rail) and demonized by companies that want to sell an emphatically worse product (Tesla's cars and shitty tunnels for instance).
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

BIL wrote:Imagine you bust out a sick WR down there and nobody ever sees it :o :shock:

Imagine you use your last 1% of battery to upload it insteada contacting GPS :cool: /true man ending
:lol: :lol:
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Rich people dying because they're bored? *yawn*

That's a fucking shame.
We apologise for the inconvenience
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Everything I've heard about the fucking sub story has been a god damn trip.

Outright negative safety margin EVERYWHERE. Wasn't the viewport only rated for 1/3rd the expected dive depth or some other shit?
I think the funniest/saddest bit is that the carbon fiber was obtained on the cheap since it wasn't considered airworthy due to being old stock... which I'd probably think would mean it was even less seaworthy, especially given the depth they were targeting. Pretty much everything about the build was apparently done as cheaply as could be, to the point of absurdity.
Also, although I didn't know this at the time, apparently carbon fiber doesn't take wear very well and will fail at way lower than expected forces if there is wear on it, making the idea of a carbon fiber submersible for these depths just a terrible idea. Strong like steel, light as hell, but takes damage in a way more comparable to glass, and given that we're talking about old-stock carbon fiber... well, rip.

Blaming the mountain? Fuck man, you can't blame Everest if you end up climbing with carabiners and rope from Dollar Tree.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Breaking news, the true and honest cause of the implosion is revealed 3; Don't throw controllers, kids!
orange808

Post by orange808 »

BIL wrote:Breaking news, the true and honest cause of the implosion is revealed 3; Don't throw controllers, kids!
Happens all the time. People betting other people's lives on bad engineering--and ignoring sensible warnings along the way.
Spoiler
Spoiler
At least the Titanic was a product of decent engineering. All they had to do was drive it like an ordinary boat--and everything would have been fine. Probably shouldn't have cut corners on the compartments, but it wasn't designed go full speed into icebergs.

Be careful and you'll probably live longer. ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
orange808

Post by orange808 »

There are those who argue that DLSS can add input latency, but any latency penalty gets offset by the higher frame rate...
https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-geforce- ... rformance/

Not really. No. That's wrong. That's misleading.

Processing latency is processing latency and we don't have a time machine. We don't have the luxury of run ahead, because we can't process the frames fast enough--and that only works to remove latency from the software game loop. Not an option with brand new PC games.

DLSS 3.0 "higher" frame rates are often using guessed frames. They're not real. Can your video card predict the future? Of course not. The card shows you a best guess. If you do something else, the next real frame will display the true result. This statement makes it sound like frame generation knows the future.

In practical terms, lag is really about your ability to respond to what's on screen. The GPU can't predict the future.

The card has much more information about the actual image than a video interpolation engine. It's the same reason we can display games in 3d, but we still cannot suitably convert video or film to 3d without artifacts and problems. That's all fine and good, but we still can't predict the future; the software doesn't tell the GPU what's next until: the software tells the GPU what's next.

It's good to know a lot about the scene, but we still can't predict the future. The real frame rate is exactly what the software outputs. Everything else is fake. Processing latency is always there. If you spend time doing something, that time is gone. In this case, there's not much opportunity to do other things faster than expected and earn time back. Adding fake frames doesn't turn back time.

All across the media, there are under qualified people spreading misinformation. That author's misguided statement about nvidia frame generation is wrong. You must push real frames from the software at the raster to lower latency. The article's discussion of DLSS 3.0 in this situation implies the use of frame generation to reach the numbers nvidia is advertising. It's not just upscaling. More frames doesn't mean a thing. It's complicated.

Frame rates alone do not predict latency in video games. In addition to interpolation technologies, we've been dealing with swapchain headaches since the dawn of 3d gaming.
Let's try reading: https://raphlinus.github.io/ui/graphics ... acing.html

I mention the swapchain, because your biggest latency gains from vanilla machine learning upscaling don't involve pushing more frames. The best way to cut lag is to enable and run Ultra Low Latency on an nvidia card. If using vanilla DLSS upscaling can make Ultra Low Latency playable, cutting buffered frames is where you're most likely to find big latency gains--and the gains should exceed the time it takes for pure machine learning upscaling without using DLSS 3.0 frame generation. Many times, you're better off at the same frame rate with less buffering.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Writing a large program that does very clever things by way of a Hindley-Milner type system, then feeding it into the final production compiler and...

(half an hour, 32GB of compile data, and one system lockup later)
...Maybe I got too clever with it :?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Ebay auctions where they put the disc over the top of a nasty sticker in a 1 pic auction.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Stop killing my Japanese Twitter experience reeeeeeeeeeeee. Elon Musk GO TO MARS.

https://twitter.com/Apogee_Ent/status/1 ... 9007366152
Lander

Post by Lander »

Dead horse, but YouTube Shorts.

A fresh-faced and naive individual may assume that 40 seconds of video is not enough room to cram an obnoxious ad into.

They would, of course, be wrong.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Also on teh toob: channel intros! I typically don't mind much. Want to see 10seconds of animu I otherwise DGAF about? Sure XxX_InuYaShaDogPen0rRoxx6669XxX, I'll not begrudge you your spot. HOWEVER, this goes specifically to ones with criminally unbalanced audio, so you get a nice ear-splitting volume spike of typically inane Jpop shite at the end of your purloined animu scene.

Unforgivable (`w´メ) <-- straight from glory days of channel intros <333
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I'd like to add when you browse your Youtube subscriptions and you see an upcoming video premiere. You can add it to watch later, but why does it appear in subscriptions as it's not available, makes no sense to me.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Lander

Post by Lander »

SponsorBlock does a decent job of beating back the templated CliveGamerNinja intro renders and sneaky segues into yet another SquareSpace bit. Though only if the channel in question has already provoked a fellow member of Teh Interwebz Liberation Front.

Audio mixing full stop deserves its own post :lol: average dB levels have been creeping up for years across media as a whole (Loudness Wars, eh? They say the bodycount went up to 11 :shock:), flames fanned further by trickery like CRANKING IT UP on ad breaks so Joe Telly can still hear the content while he's in the kitchen making a brew.

Adding Wild Wild WestTube to the mix was positively incendiary, even before you run across IED-rolls like That Song From Moana But Facetracking The Rock And Every Time He Says 'You' The Bass Gets Boosted 2x.

One of these days I'll have to figure out how to audiophile, so I can reroute power from the deflector dish and daisy-chain a compressor into my audio pipeline.
emphatic wrote:I'd like to add when you browse your Youtube subscriptions and you see an upcoming video premiere. You can add it to watch later, but why does it appear in subscriptions as it's not available, makes no sense to me.
I dodge the YouTube UI via RSS feed, and still can't escape this nonesense. Premieres masquerade as regular videos, but with no working link. Utter enshittification!
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

There's something wrong with my laptop's trackpad where it stops working in the middle area sometimes so I have to navigate with just the edges of the pad. I'm sure it's software related because it just comes and goes all the time. Drives me absolutely crazy
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Took my first week of vacation in nearly a year, spent most of it doing overdue cleaning, tidying and meal prepping, managed to get most everything done with one day to spare, planned on finally properly relaxing the final day...right on cue one of my window blinds snaps and my refrigerator stops working. *Sigh...*
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I had YouTube's recommendations pretty well trained, but now they've disappeared. Is YT no longer doing recs without an account? Has a browser or extension update broke it? Who knows. In any event, I'm now exposed to the pure, searing idiocy of the main page.

An object in a picture I can't immediately identify, IS IT GOD???

Shocked I'm doing a wage theft! (literally the most common form of theft)

Woooah there must be something to this antivax stuff, fellow rich shithead, if you'd pass up what for us is couch change

Listen to me, a media puppet with a punchable* face, about how WRONG those media puppets are

* Placeholder term until an appropriately strong one is invented. Flame throwerable face?
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I dunno, I just visited the front page (which I haven't done in years) and didn't see anything that stupid. I had to scroll down pretty far to even see something I wasn't interested in, and it was just .. some golf channel. I expected it to be overgrown with garbage.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Mortificator wrote:I had YouTube's recommendations pretty well trained, but now they've disappeared. Is YT no longer doing recs without an account? Has a browser or extension update broke it? Who knows. In any event, I'm now exposed to the pure, searing idiocy of the main page.

An object in a picture I can't immediately identify, IS IT GOD???

Shocked I'm doing a wage theft! (literally the most common form of theft)

Woooah there must be something to this antivax stuff, fellow rich shithead, if you'd pass up what for us is couch change

Listen to me, a media puppet with a punchable* face, about how WRONG those media puppets are

* Placeholder term until an appropriately strong one is invented. Flame throwerable face?
Every time I'm forced to find a youtube video on one of our schools computers, I'm confronted with the idiocy of our civilization. Everythings amazingly stupid, but US "conservative" (it looks extremist through almost every European's eyes) media totally takes the cake. It's enough to make you question your will to live.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:US "conservative" (it looks extremist through almost every European's eyes)
That's because it is, but the "center" here remains conveniently determined to never, ever acknowledge this.

Currently using up one of my personal days at work waiting for the fridge repairman, btw. Hopefully he can actually fix it while he's here, as opposed to needing a second visit - and a second service charge - while waiting for a part to come in. :? Also have an old bedsheet hanging where the busted blinds used to be, so he'll be treated to a real classy-looking joint when he arrives. :P
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Huh. I just came here to complain about YouTube Shorts. I can't stand them cluttering up the feed with garbage idc about
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Videogames that load to a screen that plays music and a title screen with "Press START button" on it.

Then you press it, and it loads again.......................................................

The press start button should only appear once everything after that is loaded in. What it has actually loaded in up until the start button prompt is anyones guess.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
ChurchOfSolipsism

neorichieb1971 wrote:Videogames that load to a screen that plays music and a title screen with "Press START button" on it.

Then you press it, and it loads again.......................................................

The press start button should only appear once everything after that is loaded in. What it has actually loaded in up until the start button prompt is anyones guess.
:!: