Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

oh lord, this is going into 'tools for mass displacement' territory again, fuck this

Instead of a link to a shitty meme pic, here is a link to the article that actually talks about the event the image posted is from:

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... esxml.html
About a dozen businesses have already signed up for a “Gun Free Zone” decal, including Cafe Racer, where a customer shot and killed four others last year. Other participants include Neumos, Oddfellows Cafe & Bar, Sweatbox Yoga and Cupcake Royale, with more expected in the coming days.

“This is something businesses can do to be on the front lines of preventing gun violence,” said Ralph Fascitelli, board president of Washington CeaseFire, a gun-control group that approached McGinn three months ago with the idea and has since been recruiting participants. “It’s a good incremental step.”

Fascitelli said the program won’t stop a determined killer such as the Cafe Racer shooter. But he said that taking guns out of the equation could prevent some arguments from ending in tragedy.
Edmond Dantes wrote:Criminals are people who BREAK THE LAW.

"Gun-Free Zone" is a LAW.

Criminals are going to BREAK IT.
The word 'criminals' isn't even used at all in the article and isn't what they're targeting with their program. Also, it isn't being implemented as a 'law', it's a program where they're asking store owners not to allow customers to enter while carrying firearms. See how dumb your ranting looks when it's actually put into proper context?

I like that you posted a shitty meme pic, complained about how it won't stop criminals, and ignored the fact that the original picture had nothing to do with stopping gun violence caused by criminals committing burglaries/murders, but rather was about inconveniencing stupid people who think using their gun is a means to solve an argument. High five for illiteracy!
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:44 am, edited 6 times in total.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

I'm not really a pro-gun/anti-gun fanatic, but I think the idea of having a big sign that says "GUN FREE ZONE!" Is kinda silly. Why would anyone assume otherwise?
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:oh lord, this is going into 'tools for mass displacement' territory again, fuck this
No, it's not; I don't believe that shit and the "those traincars for transporting autos are designed by FEMA to haul people to concentration camps" types annoy me as much as they do you.

Where firearms supporters are split is over whether you have a right to a gun, no matter how dumb, obnoxious, and aggressive you are, while others liken it to a car that must be mastered and which can be taken away if you are likely to - as a individual person - use it to the harm of others. But that in no way constitutes or supports a blanket ban on firearms for private citizens in general.

Anyway, "Britain: Post-Democratic society?" got me wondering about what really matters in today's society, in terms of social movements, and then I found this:
Tomgram: Barbara Garson, How to Become a Part-Time Worker Without Really Trying
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Lord Satori wrote:I'm not really a pro-gun/anti-gun fanatic, but I think the idea of having a big sign that says "GUN FREE ZONE!" Is kinda silly. Why would anyone assume otherwise?
I don't know, I assume its an american thing.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:The word 'criminals' isn't even used at all in the article and isn't what they're targeting with their program. Also, it isn't being implemented as a 'law', it's a program where they're asking store owners not to allow customers to enter while carrying firearms. See how dumb your ranting looks when it's actually put into proper context?
Except it doesn't look dumb at all.

How do store owners enforce these zones? Do they have metal detectors installed? Do they actually frisk their customers to make sure none of them are carrying a piece?

Or did they just put up a sign and hope the customers will obey out of the goodness of their heart?

If the latter, then my original point still stands completely unchallenged.
I like that you posted a shitty meme pic, complained about how it won't stop criminals, and ignored the fact that the original picture had nothing to do with stopping gun violence caused by criminals committing burglaries/murders, but rather was about inconveniencing stupid people who think using their gun is a means to solve an argument. High five for illiteracy!
Love how you follow it up with a jab at my literacy after thoroughly tripping over yourself verbally.

You say its not about stopping crime, but then you say it "inconveniences people who think using their gun is a means to solve an argument." Using a gun to threaten people is assault, pulling the trigger makes it battery and if the victim dies, its murder. In other words, YES, IT FUCKING IS ABOUT STOPPING CRIME.

Secondly, this paragraph has nothing to do with the point I or the original blogger were getting at--that you can't expect people to do it just because you put up a sign telling them to do it. So, great, you just wasted two paragraphs on a meaningless tangent.

But whatever. I've done enough arguing with anti-gun advocates to know there's no rationality in their stance. Its all about the emotional comfort of thinking they're safe from guns because a new law was passed. A rational mind would realize the only way to be safe from people with guns is to own a gun yourself.

FUN FACT: Despite what Hollywood has been feeding you for centuries, the "wild west" period of American history was actually not very violent at all, with a record low number of murders, assaults, rapes and every other sort of crime (save maybe cattle-rustling). The reason? Because it was a time where everyone carried a gun. That person who shot four people? In the Old West, the minute he/she pulled out her piece, everyone else in the shop would've pulled out theirs, and that person would've thought twice about pulling the trigger.
The resident X-Multiply fan.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Criminals are people who BREAK THE LAW.

"Gun-Free Zone" is a LAW.

Criminals are going to BREAK IT.

That means that the CRIMINAL is going to have a GUN and the law-abiding innocent citizens WILL NOT have guns.

See the problem yet?
Ah, irrational paranoia, that thing on which the fabric of American society is hemmed. No wonder you think guns are necessary, you believe you'll still be shot even in their absence, lol.

What a load of nonsense.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Skykid wrote:Ah, irrational paranoia, that thing on which the fabric of American society is hemmed. No wonder you think guns are necessary, you believe you'll still be shot even in their absence, lol.

What a load of nonsense.
History lesson:

-Columbine was a gun-free zone, and there were laws in place to prevent kids from getting guns.

-Virginia Tech was a gun-free zone, and since this was after Columbine the laws were even more strict.

-Sandy Hook Elementary... ya know what, I've made my point.

Frankly, I almost hope one day you see gun violence, in your country which bans guns. Hopefully that'll force you to pull your head out of your ass.
dcharlie

Post by dcharlie »

Frankly, I almost hope one day you see gun violence, in your country which bans guns. Hopefully that'll force you to pull your head out of your ass.
whilst i don't live there - my home town in the UK had the most recent gun incident where legally owned guns were used to kill a dozen or so people, with people i know directly affected. I still don't see how letting everyone have guns would have made this any better - i'm happy the UK and Japan where i currently live make owning a gun difficult because people suck and the last thing they need to be is tooled up.

The incidents of gun use are way lower in the UK than in the US on a per 100k rating. Obviously raw figures are going to be bigger for the US, so they can be chucked in the bin for comparison purposes.

However, i do agree that the banning of guns in the US is going to have little impact, certainly in the short term. Basically, the problem with the US is something in the mentality related to guns. Taking guns away is locking the barn door after the horse has bolted. And yeah - having somewhere a gun free zone is pretty much unenforcable. If someone has decided to go somewhere and shoot i'm pretty sure a "gun free sign" isn't going to change their mind.

UK and Japan and a host of other countries haven't had a recent history of gun ownership - they'll both see gun crime, but i'd content it's still going to be nowhere near the scale seen elsewhere. For those two places the norm of gun control is established and the gun crime figures remain low - a knee jerk unbanning of guns would be outrageously stupid given the status quo is low gun crime : what we've had is one off incidents.
"I've asked 2 experts on taking RGB screenshots...."
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Edmond Dantes wrote:Frankly, I almost hope one day you see gun violence, in your country which bans guns. Hopefully that'll force you to pull your head out of your ass.
Oh my, what a classy way of rehashing the old "good guys with guns always shoot the bad guys with guns" myth.

WHAT IF WE HAD MORE POWERFUL WEAPONS? Hey, we should all have tactical nukes, then we'd REALLY be safe! Fuck, I'm brilliant.
dcharlie wrote:Basically, the problem with the US is something in the mentality related to guns. Taking guns away is locking the barn door after the horse has bolted. And yeah - having somewhere a gun free zone is pretty much unenforcable. If someone has decided to go somewhere and shoot i'm pretty sure a "gun free sign" isn't going to change their mind.
Changing that mentality is something that takes decades. It's impossible to happen overnight of course, but small societal shifts of people demonstrating their unhappiness towards a society that feels a need to make deadly weapons readily available for any nutjob who wishes to go on a rampage and generally owns lots of guns relative to other countries is what's needed at least to make a dent in that culture.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Edmond Dantes wrote: Frankly, I almost hope one day you see gun violence, in your country which bans guns. Hopefully that'll force you to pull your head out of your ass.
Yes, and I suppose you think it's both mystery and miracle I've never been witness to gun violence in my country, that bans guns?

Funny that.

trap15

Post by trap15 »

Edmond Dantes wrote:the "wild west" period of American history was actually not very violent at all, with a record low number of murders, assaults, rapes and every other sort of crime (save maybe cattle-rustling). The reason? Because it was a time where everyone carried a gun.
[citation needed]
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

trap15 wrote:
Edmond Dantes wrote:the "wild west" period of American history was actually not very violent at all, with a record low number of murders, assaults, rapes and every other sort of crime (save maybe cattle-rustling). The reason? Because it was a time where everyone carried a gun.
[citation needed]
Education needed.

Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Came back from a store where they had Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition for sale. Price: R$150. You can find it for $20 at GameStop (that's around R$45).

And later they ask why piracy is so high around here. I'd happily buy all my games in my country if they charged fair prices, but they choose to be greedy bastards instead.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

trap15 wrote:
[citation needed]
One of the triggers of the whole "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral" was tensions between the lawmen (Republicans mainly) with outlaws (Democrats and family of former Confederates, if not some being Confederates themselves). Specifically, one of the 'outlaws' got pistol-whipped by Wyatt Earp, I think, because he tried to ignore a regulation about turning your gun in when you rode into town.
LOGIC TIME!
BareknuckleRoo wrote:WHAT IF WE HAD MORE POWERFUL WEAPONS? Hey, we should all have tactical nukes, then we'd REALLY be safe! Fuck, I'm brilliant.
What you have tried to do is an impermissible logical move, and I can hopefully demonstrate why. We all know that this is the argument to absurdity, formally called the "reductio ad absurdum," or just "the reductio." It works in some situations but not in others. Consider an example where it doesn't work: Rand Paul's argument in 2011 hearings on the Older Americans Act (also known as "seniors going hungry" - I believe the discussion might be seen here; it's certainly in here), and there is a partial transcript here including the important bits):
PAUL: I appreciate the great and I think very collegial discussion, and we do have different opinions. Some of us believe more in the ability of government to cure problems and some of us believe more in the ability of private charity to cure these problems. I guess what I still find curious though is that if we are saving money with the two billion dollars we spend, perhaps we should give you 20 billion. Is there a limit? Where would we get to, how much money should we give you to save money? So if we spend federal money to save money where is the limit? I think we could reach a point of absurdity. Thank you.

FRANKEN: I think you just did.
Senator Paul's mistake was in trying to advocate a version of the opposing argument that is, in fact, not held by the opposition at all. There is obviously a point at which you don't need to add funding to the Act to make all its goals. But Paul wants to try to reduce things to a simple continuum to make it appear as if the underlying logic always leads you into this absurd proposition. Perhaps, in his defense, it could be said that the Democrats weren't specifically saying that there is a point at which you don't need to throw more funding into the Act. But this isn't a reading any reasonable adult would hold, and it only takes a jibe from Al Franken to collapse the whole ridiculous construction.

Alright, let's return to this argument.

The first step in using the reductio reasonably, as I see it, is to make sure you aren't tilting against windmills and arguing against something which a.) isn't something the party you are arguing with believes and b.) is not a reasonable construction of their argument.

Proponents of gun ownership are a pretty diverse lot. There may well be some hardcore survivalists and secessionists who think that private ownership of nuclear weapons are reasonable (I'm not sure I've met anybody pretending to believe this online, but I have seen this particular point brought up and I don't recall anybody agreeing to it). They are obviously wrong and most second amendment advocates disagree with them strongly. The presence of idiots hanging around every fandom and movement doesn't reflect on those groups - but rather is a simple fact of life. Also, every person is able to construct their own version of an argument, and sometimes they split off from the previous group with disagreements. You can't say that the new splinter group should be responsible for defending the very beliefs that fomented their splitting from the original group - there's no original sin for an atheist.

There is a general understanding among academics that you should try to construct a stronger version of your opponent's views - a "steelmanned" instead of a strawman argument. This allows you to show off your superiority in understanding the issue while legitimately moving the argument forward.

So, here's a couple ways I might take the "nukes for all" argument.

- Under what circumstances are nuclear weapons permissible for private individuals?
- What is the purpose of private arms?

These points are similar in many ways. Without getting too wrapped-up in what the Founding Fathers say, it is clear that the Founding Fathers believed at least that there are limits to what government (and, by reasonable extension, policing) can achieve. This is a reasonable thing to believe unless I'm very mistaken. Note: Many proponents of handgun ownership believe in something stronger than this - that not only are there limits on what government can achieve, but there are strong limits on what trust you should place in government (it's kind of hard to spell this one out without the view contradicting itself). In other words, government is thought to be ineffective when needed and often - if not usually - untrustworthy. Historically, this is actually not a completely irrational belief to hold, either, but it is unnecessarily extreme. I favor just reverting to the original proposition I present here - there are limits on what services governments and policing can provide the public citizen.

So, then, the two ways (which I think are just two halves of the same argument):
One purpose of owning private weapons is to defend oneself. The purpose of using a tank, or a bomber, or a nuclear weapon, is very much undermined by the difficulty in one person using them. We're also implying necessity here: In defending yourself, there is a necessity of having some abilities. For some people this might just be their ability to shove and punch. I also think this fairly implies that you are only acting within a reasonably small space. If you are surrounded by enemies, you might be able to hold them off with a handgun, or you might need something bigger. But long before the time things escalate to nuclear weapons seeming to be required, you had better have friends to assist you. In this case, "friends" means "the armed forces." There's also an obvious link in to responsibility: If your ultimate response technique is to send off a Davy Crockett or Little John, it's hard to see (in the usual case) why that's really just a private defense, and not an event of great magnitude. Now, you can modify this belief to argue for limits on how powerful a weapon people can have - I think it'd be foolish to disagree with that entirely (again, firearms proponents tend to have trouble with this one, because they don't see handguns and nuclear weapons on the same scale, but they tend to like the idea of being able to own a private mortar or cannon, just in case).

The other part of this argument is about something like the reasonableness, effectiveness, and accountability of acting in isolation. Clearly, no government has the ability currently (and possibly never will!) of absolutely protecting its citizens, even from mundane things like traffic accidents or forgetting to breathe, let alone intentional murder. There are some things that a government does better than other things: It's impossible to give each citizen a personal guard, and each person has a natural right to protect themselves - so there is a simple necessity of each person taking some responsibility for their own safety, at least up to some level - I don't think anybody can reasonably refute this (though some have apparently tried, i.e. Jesus in the Gospels, maybe). At the same time, a government is generally good at providing a massive, coordinated response to large attacks - and more accountable and effective at it than private individual who answers to no chain of command. Of course, many people will say that nuclear weapons are never reasonable for use in human conflict, so there is that.

We agree that just a large number of people with sticks and stones, or a small handful of people with weapons, can overwhelm a private citizen's ability to secure their safety on their own, so they will have to rely on outside help from the gub'mint at some point. At this point, the person's private weapon or shelter becomes less about subduing the opposition, and more about surviving. Here is another point many firearms aficionados stumble on: Many say (at least in forums) that it's good to kill another scumbag. But the purpose of firearms isn't to kill random people doing supposedly terrible things; it's to protect yourself. If you can shoot the gun out of a mugger's hand, great! Of course, if you can't (like basically everybody) then you will have to shoot to kill, if you can, and if you manage not to kill the person then that is even better. If you can't kill the opposition, then you protect yourself by holding them off, hopefully long enough for the cavalry to arrive, or to convince them that attacking you isn't worth it.

Of course, if you live alone on an island and are surrounded by evil flesh-eating demons that must be killed (God said so), then perhaps having the nuclear weapon is reasonable. But this isn't a situation any of us live in, unless I'm mistaken about the true thrust of that Canadian plan to secure the Northwest Passage with stealth snowmobiles.

By the by, I am generally not too sympathetic towards some supposedly good uses of firearms, like clearing "varmints" from the land. But I haven't actually been infested with them - it's been my observation that the handful of squirrels, rabbits, woodchucks, possum, and raccoons that hang about tend to get killed by cars long before they can become any kind of nuisance, and probably before they can even stabilize their numbers. But maybe I would change my tune if I had to grow a garden to feed myself and my family, and it was overrun by critters. But generally I see people who talk about casually clearing random critters out of the woods behind their small house as wanton killers doing nothing for the ecosystem.

The problem that concerns me most is the same one pretty much everybody agrees on: There are dangerous people, idiots, and then there are dangerous idiots. Supposedly the Second Amendment protects the right of each person to have a gun, without demonstrating competence or the right attitude towards gun ownership. Even barring the mentally disturbed has been challenged by some as a violation of the Second Amendment, but of course nobody ever thought of putting a firearm in the hands of a prisoner, or somebody appearing at court. There's definitely lots of problems to be worked out still.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

tl;dr. (although I skimmed over it a bit)

You really set him off, didn't you, Roo?
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Ed Oscuro wrote:What you have tried to do is an impermissible logical move, and I can hopefully demonstrate why.
fascinating tale my bretheren zzzzzzzzzz protip: it wasn't a serious response, for fuck's sake

next time just post something like http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Reductio sheesh
Edmond Dantes wrote:Frankly, I almost hope one day you see gun violence, in your country which bans guns. Hopefully that'll force you to pull your head out of your ass.
Anyways, the whole nonsense about "well if you had shootings you'd want MOAR GUNS" is laughable, considering I have had shootings nearby. So yeah, you're just being a presumptuous little shit. We've had several major shootings in Toronto in fact - some rival gangbangers shot up each other at a mall not long ago (I passed through the mall only an hour or two before it happened) and several bystanders were hit, and more people have been shot outside bars in fickle arguments because apparently they were shits who think guns are a great alternative to fists. And of course, a lot of the guns are being smuggled in from the US where firearms are much more readily available, and thus easily obtained. So yeah, fuck you, your country's love affair with handguns is part of the reason we've got so many of them floating around on the black market. The whole point of not supporting everyone carrying around guns/grenades/nukes is that I don't want to live in a society where everyone is armed and paranoid about having a shootout at any given time (especially when most gun advocates don't advocate mandatory safety/training the way car owners need to be licensed). Children shouldn't have to go to schools with their teachers armed always worried about when the next crazy fuck steals his mommy's assault rifle and goes on a killing spree.

There's a reason a lot of american states with huge gun lobbies pass laws like "Stand Your Ground" - they treat their guns as a first resort to any perceived threat, but they don't spend terribly much time in addressing the underlying issues/causes of violence and crime because hey, we have guns, we'll just shoot any bad guys yay! I would much prefer to have only the necessary law enforcement armed and have society try to address the actual causes of crime like gun violence. Simply giving people more easy access to guns is exactly the sort of bandaid solution I'd expect someone with a myopic view of cause and effect.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I think some of this Ed/Roo discussion could probably do with a thread split, only because the subject in question is large enough that its out of the scope of this thread and would be better in its own.

Anyway, little things that annoy the hell out of me:

When I can't tell if I'm on shmups.system11.org or 4chan.org because everyone uses internet slang and memes I don't understand as an attempt to sound cool and hip. :|

When people aren't correctly educated in what they do, or even in the most basic of things. It's not just them, it's the teachers these days not doing an adequate job. Too often I'm seeing teachers in it for their paycheck and not for the actual student, and everyone suffers for it.

Worst of all at the moment, when this song, or [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsZXDcY3xK8], or any of the ones currently getting flogged on the radio five times EVERY FUCKING HOUR pops up on the radio at work. At least with Selena Gomez' one I think of Nigel Thornberry every time she goes "naaaaaananan" so it could be worse.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Hmm? Going after Edward because he's a soft target, but still sneaking in stuff I've replied to. "Only I get to be the voice of reason around here!"

I happen to agree about the malign influence of people with bad ideas. You'll be happy to know that the Stand Your Ground-type laws have seen prominent backers pulling out, like Wal*Mart. I think this one has been played out in the court of public opinion; unfortunately, revisiting, repealing, or educating people about the laws doesn't seem to be gaining traction, if that's what's needed. I'm not certain about SYG's actual effect "warping" the law. I know some very anti-firearms people who agree completely with Massad Ayoob's expert testimony on Stand Your Ground laws - the short version: They don't change a person's duties. What he says is very much like what I've said; Ayoob saying that "there's never been a duty to retreat if you cannot retreat in complete safety." Believe it or not, not every firearms owner is reckless (like George Zimmerman) or provoking dangerous situations needlessly. I'll admit not being an expert on the law, but whatever it is, it's clear most people don't have a clue. I'm not sure if juries are returning the right verdicts, which should (if Ayoob's reading, and the plain reading of the law in Florida, are right) not be much changed from what the law said before, or if they are going nuts. Yes, there may be a statistical imbalance between successful SYG defenses by white and black people (white people being more successful).

The law isn't perfect -> OMG BAN IT NAO. Yeah, thanks, tell me another!

SYG may be bad, but the law that is clearly nuts is the Texas-style "defense of property" law. I've posted about it before and the link should be around somewhere. Now THERE is a law that provokes disregard for the rights of others.

Bad stuff, but bad laws would still be bad if they said you could run over somebody with your car or hit them with a baseball bat until dead "in defense of property." (And of course, if you happen to be justified in using a car or a bat that way, you will have a defense.) In these cases, what the law promotes is actually separate from the firearms that many people use with erroneous conceptions of self defense, and we could undo a lot of the harm of firearms (i.e. cases like George Zimmerman) if we had a better conception of what you actually can go out and do if you have a gun, and what you should not do.

I don't see the value in a lot of the rest of what you wrote, and in debates like this, that can be worse than useless. Either you go to the places that do harbor people who believe these crazy things you speak of, and educate them, or at least try to engage with the points here. Well, I can't be too bothered if you don't try, but the pro-firearms people base their political stance on deeply held beliefs - some of it moral, and some of it based on reasonable facts. You aren't going to shake that, probably not even with a really good argument, and there is a danger when people on either side of the debate just conform to the "those nutty people on the other side believe this shit?" stereotypes. At the very least I would appreciate it if people were not recklessly making bad arguments and making things harder for people who actually want to think things through.
BareknuckleRoo wrote:The whole point of not supporting everyone carrying around guns/grenades/nukes is that I don't want to live in a society where everyone is armed and paranoid about having a shootout at any given time
I'm sorry, but we actually do live in a world where there is uncertainty. Dealing with it reasonably is not equivalent to paranoia. You can laugh at your neighbor for wearing a tinfoil hat or building a bomb shelter - okay - but does that give you the right to laugh at somebody for having a first aid kit or, goodness forbid, having a shotgun at home if they live in a high-crime neighborhood, or carrying a high-power revolver for defense against bears in the northwest or for making pizza deliveries (which they will statistically never fire in self-defense)? No, it doesn't.

Well, except that I already took apart your "everybody gets a nuke" strawman, so I'd appreciate it if you stopped trying to smuggle it in.

To your latest point - you are really having some trouble with your characterizations. So what's to stop people from saying "armed police make people (especially black people) paranoid about being shot at any given time, so let's take the police's guns away too?" Is it just magic or is the shiny badge what does it? There's nothing insulating a population of "good guys" from harboring "bad guys," especially if your idea of "people that don't need something" includes the widest conception of the public, which includes people of every temperament. There are plenty of people in the public who are already spending a huge amount of time studying safe firearm usage and learning how to respond to situations, just as the police have to. There certainly have been cops who are basically gangsters with a badge. You know what the solution is to problems with the police; what's stopping you from admitting a simple reform would work?

What I believe is underlying these arguments is a refusal to admit that because police and government cannot protect you all the time, there is absolutely no justification for essentially arguing that people worldwide, regardless of their needs and circumstances, should be expected to give up their natural right to self-defense. If there's an argument by statistics for it, it's a flavor of the utilitarian argument that would also lead us to say that torture is alright, or whatever completely ridiculous modern ritual is thought to absolve us of our social sins. We just end up sacrificing the chance to have a real debate about where the limits reasonably are. I've already said that, for pretty much any individual, nuclear weapons are out, but you can't even get past that stumbling block.

Again, nobody is stupid enough to believe that absolutely everybody gets a gun. At the very least, most people agree that the mentally unbalanced and the reckless are not likely to be good candidates for carrying handguns.

So basically it's a political problem, like all others. Nothing particularly special about it.
(especially when most gun advocates don't advocate mandatory safety/training the way car owners need to be licensed).
So if they were licensed, would you still stick to the "don't want to live IN A WORLD" view? I'm all for training, let's not use "but most people are stupid etc." as the easy way out. That's true of all sorts of things that aren't banned.
There's a reason a lot of american states with huge gun lobbies pass laws like "Stand Your Ground" - they treat their guns as a first resort to any perceived threat, but they don't spend terribly much time in addressing the underlying issues/causes of violence and crime because hey, we have guns, we'll just shoot any bad guys yay! I would much prefer to have only the necessary law enforcement armed and have society try to address the actual causes of crime like gun violence. Simply giving people more easy access to guns is exactly the sort of bandaid solution I'd expect someone with a myopic view of cause and effect.
Again, it'd be really helpful if you didn't insist on seeing everything as lumped into one big pile, with only the worst abuses of gun ownership resulting from intelligent decisions to use guns. Like pretty much anything in life, firearms can be used wisely or poorly.

I also would pay at least a dime to see somebody try to "address the underlying issues/causes of violence" against a hostage-taker with a knife or a mugger with a gun. Police regularly shoot people dead because it is reckless and stupid to leave dangerous people alive in some cases. This is still true for the private citizen, except the private citizen does not get the benefit of being a police officer to weigh towards taking lethal action. Black people get even less benefit of the doubt even when taking reasonable actions.
Lord Satori wrote:tl;dr. (although I skimmed over it a bit)

You really set him off, didn't you, Roo?
Nah, it's just something I've worked out, thought it made sense to put it here.

Shit, the post was originally paragraphs, but it's more based on the literature and less on me spinning out arguments this time, so perhaps more interesting to seriously interested people, not that I should expect anybody in a thread based on whining to do anything but loop their whines ;D

This is complicated stuff, and just running around yelling "I HATE STUFF" doesn't make your arguments worth reading.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Yeah, I'm in favor of a topic split too.

That friend I mentioned originally brought this to my attention. It's a Harvard study that according to him, "proves everything [the anti-gun crowd in this thread] says are wrong."

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/org ... online.pdf

To be honest, I don't personally like guns that much either. The thing is, they exist now and you can't make them un-exist. Just like you can't make diseases not exist, or hunger not exist. The world is not perfect, and attempting to make it so or suggest everything would work out if we just made more rules is not only silly, it flies in the face of recorded history.

And Skykid, I find it hilarious that someone who is anti-guns has a sig that reads "Always outnumbered, never outgunned."
drauch

Post by drauch »

Maybe if we keep the gun debate going for another year you guys will all eventually agree. That's usually how that works.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
trap15

Post by trap15 »

@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Edmond Dantes wrote: And Skykid, I find it hilarious that someone who is anti-guns has a sig that reads "Always outnumbered, never outgunned."
I generally enjoy cathartic glamorisations of violence, just not in real life.

Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

trap15 wrote:Image
It always occurs to me too late that I should just figure out whether is actually going to participate in a discussion before I just go "here you go, library dump"

eh I'm always hopeful
dcharlie

Post by dcharlie »

gain, nobody is stupid enough to believe that absolutely everybody gets a gun. At the very least, most people agree that the mentally unbalanced and the reckless are not likely to be good candidates for carrying handguns.
except politicians desperately opposed to background checks - i think that's my biggest bugbear in all of this. I've no -real- interest in the subject but i just don't get why all sides can't agree on background checks - i just don't get it. It's in everyones interests.

bu bu bu it won't stop psychos getting there hands on guns! No - but it'll make it a damned sight harder for them to do so as opposed to the current set up.

If politicians have this attitude then why have airport security? I mean - if someone is determined to get a weapon on board they will, so ... (yes, i know this is pushing it - but hell, one nut job tries to blow up a plane with a shoe bomb and look at what -everyone- has to go through at security now - yet near constant gun related deaths and you'd be a commie to suggest that we need to tighten up gun control)
"I've asked 2 experts on taking RGB screenshots...."
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Yeah, background checks sound reasonable to me too.

Author Tom Clancy made a point too: "Lots of people are killed every year by cars, but you don't see anyone suggesting we ban cars, do you?" (Actually, there was an episode of Speed Racer with that exact premise...)

Random: Bothers me that Speed Racer is generally no longer given the recognition it deserves. Still one of my top five anime. The original manga was published in English recently in a handsome hardcover set, and it's a pretty good read.

Also, does anyone have advice for getting rid of cats? There's an excessive amount in my front yard, I can no longer afford to feed them, but the humane society is refusing to help. But I don't want to do anything violent to them. What are my options? (And please don't say "get a dog"--I'm allergic to dogs)
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Edmond Dantes wrote: Also, does anyone have advice for getting rid of cats? There's an excessive amount in my front yard, I can no longer afford to feed them, but the humane society is refusing to help. But I don't want to do anything violent to them. What are my options? (And please don't say "get a dog"--I'm allergic to dogs)
Shoot them before they shoot you.

jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Edmond Dantes wrote:
Author Tom Clancy made a point too: "Lots of people are killed every year by cars, but you don't see anyone suggesting we ban cars, do you?"
The difference being a gun's sole purpose is to kill, where as a car is a form of transport that just happens to be big enough and fast enough to kill things, generally due to human error. Big difference and a ridiculous comparison. Do you buy a car to protect yourself from other car owners?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

jonny5 wrote:Do you buy a car to protect yourself from other car owners?
Maybe that's why old people buy those huge Cadillacs. :lol:
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

1) When people are selling old school consoles and when to show it powers on and works, connects it to a 16:9 display, widescreen stretch and all that :(

2) Smartphone design. A good friend of mine bought a new Samsung and gave me his old Nokia clamshell. Seriously, why don't people make clamshells anymore? I doubt there are few things that are as satisfying as to end a conversation by closing the lid, while striking a cool pose. :mrgreen:

That aside, I would be all over a smart clamshell. Sharp had one in Japan, but never came here :cry: And now Japan seems to be abandoning the clamshell design as well.
CHECKPOINT!
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Screen size. Imagine something like an iPhone or Samsung, with a flip part the same length as the screen portion. When you opened it, it would be like 10 inches long.