Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Edmond Dantes wrote:I did check the size, elitist monsiuer.
Monsieur*, and it'd sound more grammatically correct if it were 'monsieur elitist' (mr. elitist).
For some reason, it kept fucking up when I picked the latter two--it wouldn't take the entire USB drive (apparently they were partitioned before). But when I picked "completely replace Windows,"

Why hadn't I used this option in the first place? Because due to its label, I assumed it would nuke Windows even though I was installing it on a USB drive... which fortunately, it won't in that case.
It sounds like the distribution you were using has some bad terminology in the installer. The 'completely replace Windows' just seems to be a 'wipe all partitions and cram the OS onto it', whereas most Linux installers I've used allow you to manually make/remove partitions before the installation and use those terms quite clearly.

Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose, but if you were unsure of which drive was the USB one, you should have run the installer without the USB drive in, then exited, rebooted and run the installer with the USB drive plugged in so you would know for sure whatever new drives appeared that those were the ones belonging to the USB. It also sounds like you weren't aware it was partitioned, but that would have helped identify those partitions as belonging to the USB. If you're really unsure still and worried you might wipe your drive when trying to partition it, back that sucker up (you obviously need an extra drive to do this). There's tools out there that'll let you save your drive as a kind of image file and then restore it (Norton Ghost). If you're ever unsure of which drive is which when you're messing around with partitioning, you're basically playing Russian Roulette with your hard drive; stop and spend some time figuring out which drives are which before continuing, or make sure you have a backup if you do screw up.

I empathize with your loss, it can be quite annoying to mess around with an installer you're unfamiliar with only to fuck it up, and drive naming/assignments can definitely seem obtuse if you're used to a Windows environment, but very few Linux distros are made with the intent of being user friendly like Ubuntu, and in those cases they don't generally expect you to fiddle with partitioning much I think. Generally, the people who go messing around with multibooting and drive partitioning are expected to either know what they're doing or learn the hard way to be extra careful, so you're not going to get terribly much sympathy if something goes awry. Next time, if you're worried, take a picture and post it ("which drive is which?") or something. Waiting to install that OS and making sure you know what partition belongs to what drive is better than risking an unfortunate data loss I think.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Super sensitivity over obvious joke comments.

Indistinct avatars.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

Silverfish.
Edmond Dantes wrote:They're almost as stuck-up as Ninja Gaiden fans and have the same "you didn't magically know that this would happen despite there being no logical way to reasonably expect this? IT's YOUR FAULT!"
Edmans pls. The topic's still there, feel free to bump it if you're ever ready to move past the futile bitching stage. I will always endeavour to assist even the most incorrigible of scrubs. Get better soon!

Regards, BIL
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BPzeBanshee wrote:
Ed Oscuro wrote:Things that annoy me: Razer.

At least my mouse is back to working. It'd be nice if the shoulder buttons on my Onza stopped acting up. Nice to have the left shoulder button seize up entirely (due to something loose rattling around inside, it's been that way since I bought it and should've sent it in at the time, in retrospect) when trying to line up a shot against a bear in Red Dead Redemption.
This.The Onza is a piece of shit.

I bought it for $50, $10 less than what the official 360 controller was going for. Regret every penny: should've gone for the official controller or looked around harder for a third-party controller that was cheaper (at the time they weren't too easy to find locally). Now I've got a Rock Candy one that was $20-30 and already seems better-built.
This, also, almost to a tee (although I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on a Rock Candy, even at a hair over $11 on Amazon; it just looks too garish and I can't shake the feeling that it will feel too slick in comparison with the usual). I do like the Onza's ergonomics and the triggers seem to be lighter than usual - if they aren't broken (there's a notable difference between the tightness of my left and right triggers, and no, that's not adjustable on the non-TE Onza). I should also have mentioned that out of the box there not only was a small piece rattling around inside, but when I push up on the left thumbstick, there's the feeling of a rubber band snapping. That's never caused me problems but, thinking back to it, it's probably amazing that I've put up with all this shit as long as I have. I haven't been using the controller very much until just recently, though, which explains part of it.

So then, aside from the Onza, are there any (durable) 360 controllers with light shoulder triggers? Those are nice to have.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Ed Oscuro wrote:So then, aside from the Onza, are there any (durable) 360 controllers with light shoulder triggers? Those are nice to have.
Try this MadCatz pad. I got one for cheap on a whim at a computer store a while ago when I was looking for a controller with a good D-Pad, and admittedly the D-Pad on it is the worst piece of shit I have ever used. Seriously, it looks like it might be good, but it loves to register only diagonals and it's worse than the early release Xbox 360 official controllers (which is frankly just pathetic). You have to press quite forcefully to register up/down properly.

Aside from the D-Pad though, it's a pretty good pad and everything else on it is actually quite solid - the left/right shoulder buttons are wide and have a satisfying click to them, and the shoulder triggers are very, very light. I can't find a good picture showing 'em, but they're basically flat plastic pads on top your fingers rest on, whereas the part of the triggerthat slides into the controller is much thinner than normal, making it a lot smoother/lighter and easier to press or hold it for long periods. The analog sticks also seem to work pretty well, though the face buttons feel a bit squishier than the official pad buttons do. It's a good alternative controller... assuming you don't need the D-Pad (or is only used rarely for items/weapon switching I guess). Bayonetta played well and that requires a lot of timed RT presses for dodging, so yeah.

The start and back buttons are positioned a little unusually too, but that's not a serious issue. Actually, now that I look, my controller doesn't have those rubber grips on the side and isn't quite as small. It seems the 'Micro' is an updated version of this controller, so it actually might have a good D-Pad now, but my older model like this one definitely has a sucky D-Pad.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Skykid wrote:Super sensitivity over obvious joke comments.

Indistinct avatars.
Indistinct avatars are super sensitive to jokes?

Here I thought Avatars were inanimate data.
BIL wrote:Silverfish.
Edmond Dantes wrote:They're almost as stuck-up as Ninja Gaiden fans and have the same "you didn't magically know that this would happen despite there being no logical way to reasonably expect this? IT's YOUR FAULT!"
Edmans pls. The topic's still there, feel free to bump it if you're ever ready to move past the futile bitching stage. I will always endeavour to assist even the most incorrigible of scrubs. Get better soon!

Regards, BIL
You know, its kind of childish when you blame the critic for questioning your ideas and behavior, instead of correcting the thing he's criticizing.

My problem with NG was never its ridiculous difficulty. It was always its programming flaws (which even the creator admitted was a bug). To which all I got was some nonsense answer about how its okay as long as its what the designer intended--which is bullshit (someone even defended the Hokuto no Ken MD game this way). By that reasoning, if I design a game that sets off a nuclear bomb and it works exactly as I intended, its a good game and anyone who complains is just a scrub.

If you're unwilling to seriously examine your thinking and instead must hide behind the shield of everyone who disagrees is a "scrub", you're no better than a Troper or a Brony.
The resident X-Multiply fan.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

There are only a few significant programming errors in NG that I've noticed, and I can't think of one of them that's detrimental to the player. Maybe I'm missing something :?:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

trap15 wrote:There are only a few significant programming errors in NG that I've noticed, and I can't think of one of them that's detrimental to the player. Maybe I'm missing something :?:
Not wishing to turn this into another NG topic, so I'm only gonna answer this question and be done...

The "programming error" was how, if you die on the last boss, you get sent back to the beginning to 6-1 (all other stages send you back to the room before the boss). In an interview the creator admitted this was an error that he simply chose to keep in.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

This Dell laptop not charging. Something to do with a possibly intentional design flaw where the computer doesn't recognize the charger and refuses to do more than run off the charger [and so, it ignores the battery -- I'm at 3% battery and not charging, good thing I have an assy netbook that really doesn't care what kind of power supply it's using so I can have an actually mobile laptop].

I can't be arsed to buy another charger, this is my third since buying this laptop sometime in 2009 or 2010. I used to be able to jiggle the cable around and it would recognize the charger and work [until the plug fell out/got pulled out], but that stopped working. It goes away for a while when I buy a new charger, and then slowly gets worse.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Solution: don't die. If you need practice against the boss, play in an emulator and use savestates.

Besides, he said he liked it, hence keeping it in.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

when your internet connection repeatedly cuts out when you're trying to post and it gets deleted.

communities that thrive on the report button.

flat soda.

people who claim that their nipples are actually portals to another dimension.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Flat soda owns, stop hatin' :(
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Lord Satori wrote:people who claim that their nipples are actually portals to another dimension.
Wait, WHAT?

Also, communities with "voting" where people get to thumbs-up and thumbs-down certain posts. All it does is enable clique behavior.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Lord Satori wrote:when your internet connection repeatedly cuts out when you're trying to post and it gets deleted.
Oh man, that shit is the worst.
I started copying my posts into a notepad window if they get long after that happened to me once too many times.

That reminds me, my dad made me look for flights for him today, and while we're deciding which ones to book, the damn page says "session timed out" while we're still interacting with it and we have to put in all the info again. Fucking horseshit.
If there's one Chrome feature I like, it keeps track of entered fields during a session. So if I accidentally leave the page or hit alt+left, I don't lose everything.
Lord Satori wrote: people who claim that their nipples are actually portals to another dimension.
wut :shock:
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

null1024 wrote:This Dell laptop not charging. Something to do with a possibly intentional design flaw where the computer doesn't recognize the charger and refuses to do more than run off the charger [and so, it ignores the battery -- I'm at 3% battery and not charging, good thing I have an assy netbook that really doesn't care what kind of power supply it's using so I can have an actually mobile laptop].

I can't be arsed to buy another charger, this is my third since buying this laptop sometime in 2009 or 2010. I used to be able to jiggle the cable around and it would recognize the charger and work [until the plug fell out/got pulled out], but that stopped working. It goes away for a while when I buy a new charger, and then slowly gets worse.
Turn it off, remove the battery, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Put the battery back in and start it up. This helped for me (Windows7).
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Termites.
Edmond Dantes wrote:You know, its kind of childish when you blame the critic for questioning your ideas and behavior, instead of correcting the thing he's criticizing.
This doesn't even make sense. Did you type this in the MLP topic and paste it into this reply by mistake? Or are you asking me to invent time travel, break into Tecmo's offices and have the staff tone down NG's difficulty at gunpoint so you won't bitch about it endlessly in the present?
Edmond Dantes wrote:My problem with NG was never its ridiculous difficulty.
Your problem is most certainly its difficulty. No amount of rolling around on the floor bawling your eyes out will make the game any easier. That's the heart of the matter.
Edmond Dantes wrote:It was always its programming flaws (which even the creator admitted was a bug). To which all I got was some nonsense answer about how its okay as long as its what the designer intended--which is bullshit (someone even defended the Hokuto no Ken MD game this way).
Deal with it, Edmans. Just like Akira Nishitani's SFII combos and Hideki Kamiya's DMC juggles, that mean Mr. Yoshizawa decided this particular bug had something to offer and was more important than placating whiny scrubs who couldn't handle the difficulty:
Masato Kato wrote:Mr. Yoshizawa directed the action part for the first game, but that was actually something a programmer had implemented this way accidentally. However, it wasn't tried to fix it. They were like "hey, that's not bad, either". *laughs*
That Yoshizawa-kun. What a rascal!
Edmond Dantes wrote:By that reasoning, if I design a game that sets off a nuclear bomb and it works exactly as I intended, its a good game and anyone who complains is just a scrub.
Hard game = nuclear bomb. Whiny scrubs = mass death and radiation poisoning. LOL!
Edmond Dantes wrote:If you're unwilling to seriously examine your thinking and instead must hide behind the shield of everyone who disagrees is a "scrub", you're no better than a Troper or a Brony.
You're a bad player who blames everything but his own ineptitude for his failings and refuses to learn from his mistakes. I hate to break it to you, but that thar be a scrub.
trap15 wrote:Solution: don't die. If you need practice against the boss, play in an emulator and use savestates.
But that would require scary things like application, discipline and effort! I just want to spend X amount of hours and get my reward! WAHHH.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Edmond Dantes wrote:The "programming error" was how, if you die on the last boss, you get sent back to the beginning to 6-1 (all other stages send you back to the room before the boss). In an interview the creator admitted this was an error that he simply chose to keep in.
It was pretty absurd seeing as how it was the only spot in the game it happened, but even I managed to beat the game without resorting to savestates eventually. It's extremely tough for a platformer and requires way more hit precision due to how the game likes to position enemies at the edges of pits, and you don't have a nice big melee weapon range (VICE: Project Doom, aside from the gun and grenades you have, the laser whip's hitbox is deliciously huge) and shuriken run out much more quickly than say the helper bots in Shatterhand (the punches there seem to have a more forgiving hitbox than Ryu's sword, lol).

That said, the only absurd section I really, genuinely hated the game for other than the final boss oddity was that one eagle placement in the end of the game where you're moving right over green platforms and it only spawns as you jump and there's an enemy right beside that loves to respawn as you kill it (I think you can let it wander offscreen by itself?). There's nothing impossible in the game by any means, but it's a game that has very strict hit timing in some cases compared to other platformers I'm used to (I'm admittedly not that good at the genre as a whole). I'm also not sure I like the 'realistic' jumping where if you move backwards your velocity is reduced drastically. You gotta treat it more like Castlevania and make those jumps count.

I actually preferred Shadow of the Ninja (even if it is a bit short) and I think NG1 is a bit overrated (the difficulty mostly comes from Ryu's weapon being tiny, I prefer melee platformers that make it feel difficult even though you have a good moveset like Kick Master), but it's not as bad as you make it out to be. It just has a couple huge difficulty spikes towards the end in an already challenging game.
Lord Satori wrote:people who claim that their nipples are actually portals to another dimension.
are you hanging out on chat sites for people with weird fetishes or something, what the fuck
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:That said, the only absurd section I really, genuinely hated the game for other than the final boss oddity was that one eagle placement in the end of the game where you're moving right over green platforms and it only spawns as you jump and there's an enemy right beside that loves to respawn as you kill it (I think you can let it wander offscreen by itself?).
I've half-heartedly thought about recording a short video just for that checkpoint. You can indeed let the dagger-chucker backtrack to its death, with careful positioning - this is the best method if you've no available subweapon. The most obvious method is to get there with a Jump Slash subweapon, but it's just as doable with the vanilla shuriken.

As with every part of this game, the main thing is to not give any ground you don't need to, so stuff won't respawn.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BIL wrote:I've half-heartedly thought about recording a short video just for that checkpoint. You can indeed let the dagger-chucker backtrack to its death, with careful positioning - this is the best method if you've no available subweapon.
Yeah, it took me quite a while to get a strategy nailed down for the last stage and to do it consistently enough. If you're used to forgiving platformers like Mega Man that don't punish you for backing away or using as much time as you like, you're going to have a hard time adjusting to NG. It's a very different style of platformer that requires you to constantly push forward, or the time limit will make you regret dawdling.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Also, hilariously, the staff liked that "programming error" so much it was instituted along with the triple last boss rush as a series tradition for NGII and NGIII. And unlike NGI, in those games you don't get your health refilled for each boss. :lol: (any you've killed do still stay down if you die and return, though!)

Fear teh NGII Jaquio! (cos if he softens you up, rush boss #2 will ruin your shit)
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Edmond Dantes wrote:

Indistinct avatars.

You didn't possibly think they were two separate gripes?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

OH MAH GAWD - how's this for a little thing to annoy the hell out of you. Part of the ceiling in my box room just fell in due to all this rain. :[

But there ain't shit in there, not even a bunch of dicks. ^__^

I lack the shingles, nails, ladder and tar paper to fix the roof leak that caused this. ಠ_ಠ

Still, could've been worse. Could've been the study and a bunch of wet insulation and drywall could've landed on my precious CIB NINJA RYUKENDEN FAMICOM CARTS. Not that it would've done any good, I keep all my shit in WATERPROOF PLASTIC CONTAINERS within METAL FILING CABINETS for just such an event. 凸(`⌒´メ)凸
moh

Post by moh »

trap15 wrote:Flat soda owns, stop hatin' :(
i love flat soda too :B
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Seagulls.

LOL HE SO CUTE HE BE STEALIN TEH CHIPZ / FREEDOM FRIEZ More like "LOL he shat all over my roof and took a buzz at my head while I was patching a leak."
Last edited by BIL on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nZero

Post by nZero »

BIL wrote:Seagulls.
In the quest for making the world a better place, it is best to leave no tern unstoned.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ha! Vocabulary level up! Image

I just realised I've been playing Ninja Gaiden all day and I could've potentially been knocked off a roof by a bird to my splattering death while armed with a sharp instrument (that is, a boxcutter)... IRL
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:
are you hanging out on chat sites for people with weird fetishes or something, what the fuck
no, I just threw that in there for the lulz, and to see how people would react.

also, when you highlight something, and it gets put in the fucking search bar. I don't want to fucking google it, I just want to delete it!
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Skykid wrote:
Edmond Dantes wrote:

Indistinct avatars.

You didn't possibly think they were two separate gripes?
For some reason I thought your post was about me and that made me flippant. Seems I was mistaken.

I apologize.
BIL wrote:Termites.
I personally have a fear of wasps. When I see one I want to kill it on sight.
Edmond Dantes wrote:You know, its kind of childish when you blame the critic for questioning your ideas and behavior, instead of correcting the thing he's criticizing.
This doesn't even make sense. Did you type this in the MLP topic and paste it into this reply by mistake? Or are you asking me to invent time travel, break into Tecmo's offices and have the staff tone down NG's difficulty at gunpoint so you won't bitch about it endlessly in the present?
You think I'm criticizing NG. I'm not. I'm criticizing the elitist attitudes that were all over that thread.
Edmond Dantes wrote:My problem with NG was never its ridiculous difficulty.
Your problem is most certainly its difficulty. No amount of rolling around on the floor bawling your eyes out will make the game any easier. That's the heart of the matter.
Funny that I don't cry my heart out about Capcom arcade games (most of which I've never beaten), and I kept playing Rainbow Six despite how punishingly tough it was.

My favorite video game genre? Shmups and Fighters... in both cases, there's maybe one or two each that I've actually beaten. Meanwhile RPGs are easy to down, and I hate that genre.

Your supposition that this is just some guy crying about how hard NG was is nothing more than a lazy strawman that ignores readily-accessible facts about me and basically disregards anything that punches a big hole in what you want to believe (which is how most strawmen are, actually).
Edmond Dantes wrote:If you're unwilling to seriously examine your thinking and instead must hide behind the shield of everyone who disagrees is a "scrub", you're no better than a Troper or a Brony.
You're a bad player who blames everything but his own ineptitude for his failings and refuses to learn from his mistakes. I hate to break it to you, but that thar be a scrub.
Same deal as above. I've never blamed the game for any other game, including several I can't beat. With Ninja Gaiden I criticized one very specific aspect.

Again, you're just strawmanning.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

When procrastination gets so bad you start putting off things you WANT to do.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Lord Satori wrote:When procrastination gets so bad you start putting off things you WANT to do.
Story of my life.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.