Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
dcharlie

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by dcharlie »

Have you seen Four Lions?
Is it any good?
I bought the dvd but never got around to watching it yet. I love Chris Morris and his brand of humor.
yes
and
yes.

It's as funny as it is tragic - it's a little too obvious at times, but the incompetence spin on terrorism is pretty fantastic.
"I've asked 2 experts on taking RGB screenshots...."
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I saw that movie mentioned - I think I might look it up sometime. The description of the lads is a great hook all by itself.

Speaking of things that are not so little but hella annoying, here's what a cost-benefit view of justice gets us:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=abb_1289336154

I can't really say that I want the banker thrown away in prison; it should be taken as good that he can help society (an open question) outside the pen, and it is good to have a view that says we need to worry about rehabilitating people, rather than taking revenge. But the flip side is really ugly: If the transplant doc had hit the investment banker, he would be thrown into jail if he wouldn't have the money to pay. There's no denying that money is a powerful and important force, because you don't get much done without it, and it's not clear to me that we should be obsessed with the "justice" of ranking the importance of their jobs or worth as people (which isn't the point of restitution in lieu of time behind bars), though, so even trying to find out what about this is clearly wrong is infuriating as well. At the bottom of it, the basic narrative shown here is making use of our prejudices (however well-formed) against the investment banking crowd, and I don't like that either.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Here’s the trick: Erzinger is supposedly willing to pay restitution. As a result, prosecutors argue that Erzinger’s job with MSSB will be at risk if felony charges are pursued and as a result his ability to pay the restitution will be jeopardized. No job=no restitution.
If I had to guess, I'd imagine that, if he's as big a big shot as he insists he is, the banker's got more than enough money in his personal coffers alone to pay ample restitution (and live comfortably for quite some time afterwards) even if his job (to say nothing of his personal investments) doesn't pay him another penny from this moment forward. I say that, if he truly intends to make good on what he's done (which, considering that he left the guy for dead, I rather doubt), he ought to both cough up the cash to the guy he nearly killed and accept whatever legal and professional consequences are (or should be) coming his way. The fact that he apparently hasn't even considered this option (directly counter to the plaintiff's wishes, I might add) tells me that, true to his occupation's stereotype, he hasn't ceased looking out for Number One for one second, and refuses to cop to the sheer, vile inhumanity of what he did.
At the bottom of it, the basic narrative shown here is making use of our prejudices (however well-formed) against the investment banking crowd, and I don't like that either.
Considering how criminally infrequently (and I mean that in the most literal sense) brazen, defiant, widely-felt wrongdoing by this particular segment of society, prejudiced impressions or not, is ever actually punished (let alone addressed in a way that would curtail it in the future), I would submit that we as a collective segment of humanity still hold them in much, much higher esteem than we ever ought to. Any society in which Gordon Gekko is regularly and openly invoked not as a cautionary tale but as an ideal to strive for (and again, I do not exaggerate) has long ignored, if not forgotten outright, the true, primal face of tyranny and injustice.

EDIT: See this.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Just another random thought on my way out -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotheaded_Naked_Ice_Borer

I remember this article. I thought it was real! Ah, gullible me :mrgreen:
Astraea FGA Mk. I

Post by Astraea FGA Mk. I »

Games that won't let me adjust the image to display the correct aspect ratio on my 16:10 monitor.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

When you go abroad for an extended period and buy stuff from forum members and have it shipped home, get back for a visit and check the stuff, and find the condition of a lot of it is significantly poorer than was described (and in good faith you already left positive feedback.)

Seriously, who sold me Parodius Deluxe Pack? No inlay cover? How the hell did that manage to slip your mind when asked about condition. :?

Not cool.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

Astraea FGA Mk. I wrote:Games that won't let me adjust the image to display the correct aspect ratio on my 16:10 monitor.
Game/Consoles that won't support correct aspect ratio on my 16:10 monitor.
Seriously, its like having a 16:10 (or even a 4:3 in some case) a crime or something.
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

nasty_wolverine wrote:
Astraea FGA Mk. I wrote:Games that won't let me adjust the image to display the correct aspect ratio on my 16:10 monitor.
Game/Consoles that won't support correct aspect ratio on my 16:10 monitor.
Seriously, its like having a 16:10 (or even a 4:3 in some case) a crime or something.
The death of 1200p and 16:10 :cry:

There also don't seem to be many gaming-fast good WQHD / WQXGA / QSXGA monitors about that are larger than 27". "The myth of blocky pixels" - I don't mind high resolution but most UI elements for common programs are still designed with low-DPI monitors in mind.
nasty_wolverine

Ed Oscuro wrote: The death of 1200p and 16:10 :cry:
I was fooling about with tate mode aspect ratio's other than 3:4. Surprisingly, 10:16 does way better and even looks and plays better than 9:16.
9:16 is just to tall, and you cant have effective diagonal patterns, 10:16 makes for very good balance for wide(tall)screen tate mode shmups.
Too bad its going out of fashion.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

People who put a vest labeled "Service animal" on their pets and use it as an excuse to bring them on the bus, when it's clear the owner has zero special needs, and the pet is not a service animal. Doesn't happen often, but it's kind of spreading around the city.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Specineff wrote:People who put a vest labeled "Service animal" on their pets and use it as an excuse to bring them on the bus, when it's clear the owner has zero special needs
Service dogs are used for a variety of needs, not just for visibly obvious ones like blindness or a physical handicap. They're also used by people who suffer from seizures and people who are deaf. It could even be someone who is training the animal to be a service dog that's handling them, I know because we have a lot of service dog trainers in town taking them around in their vests when training them. You can't know what the handicap or reason the person has for owning a service animal is just by looking at them, so it's unfair to assume they don't need one just because you think they don't look like they do.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

The fact that the US Government so easily brushes aside the ten amendments.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Lord Satori wrote:The fact that the US Government so easily brushes aside the ten amendments.
You mean the Bill of Rights?

Yeah, and the worst part is that the people actually think its a good thing and are ay-okay with it. Especially with regards to that second amendment. Anyone who supports any abridgement of that one deserves whatever ill befalls them, IMHO.
The resident X-Multiply fan.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:
Specineff wrote:People who put a vest labeled "Service animal" on their pets and use it as an excuse to bring them on the bus, when it's clear the owner has zero special needs
Service dogs are used for a variety of needs, not just for visibly obvious ones like blindness or a physical handicap. They're also used by people who suffer from seizures and people who are deaf. It could even be someone who is training the animal to be a service dog that's handling them, I know because we have a lot of service dog trainers in town taking them around in their vests when training them. You can't know what the handicap or reason the person has for owning a service animal is just by looking at them, so it's unfair to assume they don't need one just because you think they don't look like they do.

Objection, your honor. Tacky, clearly made-by owner vest, animal clearly not behaving or trained like a service one, vagrant owner who's not deaf. Oh, and me seeing the owner putting the vest on the animal right before boarding the bus (the service animal should have the vest at all times, right?) I'm not assuming, but rather commenting on evidence.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Yeah, and the worst part is that the people actually think its a good thing and are ay-okay with it.
Funny how absolutely nobody (other than traitors, of course) seemed to mind it at all, even on a much farther-reaching scale (alongside the deficit, foreign relations disasters, and various other things) until the past few years.
dcharlie

Post by dcharlie »

Indeed - i wonder where these "patriots" were when Plame et al was going on where it was pretty clear that that went all the way to the top.

Also - as a Brit looking in from the outside i simply cannot understand how , under the Bush era, that Halliburton getting a slew of non-tender contracts when the sitting VP was a previous board member - and for it then to transpire that they were vastly inflating prices on services and goods to the US military ? yeah - again - where were the patriots?
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Funny how absolutely nobody (other than traitors, of course) seemed to mind it at all, even on a much farther-reaching scale (alongside the deficit, foreign relations disasters, and various other things) until the past few years.
Keep on defending your team. After all, who cares if they are evil, when the other team is also evil.
Astraea FGA Mk. I

Post by Astraea FGA Mk. I »

nasty_wolverine wrote:
I was fooling about with tate mode aspect ratio's other than 3:4. Surprisingly, 10:16 does way better and even looks and plays better than 9:16.
9:16 is just to tall, and you cant have effective diagonal patterns, 10:16 makes for very good balance for wide(tall)screen tate mode shmups.

I need to post a picture of my 16:10 setup it is epic... it would make you guys wet
KAI

Post by KAI »

Girls.
I'm fucking sick of girls.
I think I'm turning 1000% gay.
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

My neighbours,as they are Nathan barely style idiots.
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Jonst wrote:My neighbours,as they are Nathan barely style idiots.
Bet they're well fucking futile.

Sorry, can't stop with that one.

Jonst

Post by Jonst »

Bum! They're proper fuck zips...
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
nasty_wolverine

Astraea FGA Mk. I wrote:
nasty_wolverine wrote:

I need to post a picture of my 16:10 setup it is epic... it would make you guys wet
Please do post, I wanna see, I ll post mine as well as soon as i can do a decent shot...
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

When one screw is tighter than all the others.

Just finished cleaning an NES controller, but it was hell to get it open. Five of the screws came out easily, but the sixth was stuck (and for some reason didn't seem to be the same as the other screws). I wound up having to literally break some of the plastic just to open it. Fortunately I'll never have that problem again, and the controller works like new now.
The resident X-Multiply fan.
dcharlie

Post by dcharlie »

When one screw is tighter than all the others.
And the screws ended up being of such shit quality that when you turn them hard they become stripped :/

Not an annoyance as such but an amusement that tickles me - seeing people reduced to being youtube comment trolls in their dire attempts for some attention. "Awww bless"
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

I get pissed off when CG people use the word "rotoscoping" to refer to a method of compositing that has nothing to do with the rotoscoping that Max Fleischer invented in 1915. Why couldn't those fuckers come up with a new word?
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Jet lag. My word, this is endlessly horrible. :(

Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Hey, at least it means you can afford going places. I don't think I've been in an airplane since 1993. :roll:
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I'm essentially jet-lagged year-round :lol: My sleep schedule varies so wildly that it might as well not even exist.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

trap15 wrote:I'm essentially jet-lagged year-round :lol: My sleep schedule varies so wildly that it might as well not even exist.
If you were like this year-round you'd probably kill yourself. I've never been jet-lagged before, but 9 months in another time zone has really done it. I never imagined it to be so horrible. Today is the sixth day and it's only just started to (marginally) subside. The last five days have been hellish - it's like being sick with no symptoms except feeling as though you're walking around at 6am with no sleep (even though you slept) nausea, brain feeling like it's expanding in your skull, dizziness and a constant struggle to concentrate. And I've got a freaking article to finish - the worst timing ever. :(

I've been trying to finish Knights of the Round on SFC to ease my torment, but it's not helping.