Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Ed Oscuro

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Tout simplement magnifique, BIL!
Rob wrote:Do you feel a sense of loss after every trash day, too?
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

BIL wrote:Do not entice Satori-kun into your nefarious gambling, cat-bothering ways, Edmans!
WHAT'S WRONG WITH CAT-BOTHERING?!?!
The resident X-Multiply fan.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nothing I suppose, as long as I'm not the particular cat being bothered. Rawr! ;3
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

BIL wrote:Nothing I suppose, as long as I'm not the particular cat being bothered. Rawr! ;3
Do you ever read my blog? My cats are sooooo much cuter than you. ;)

As for NG, I actually haven't touched it since vanishing from the original NG topic. As I said, my interests shifted (and I usually hate gaming in the heat of summer). Actually took up re-reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms and, reading for the first time, The Water Margin -- though the translation I have actually calls it "Outlaws of the Marsh." (I'm trying to read all four of the Great Chinese Classics ya see).

Now that we're on a cooling trend, I might pick it back up again, but actually this little tuffle has given me an amusing thought--essentially just following thru on what I said earlier. Get incredibly good at other games, but avoid NG entirely, and watch you keep calling "scrub" in spite of my achievements. Alternatively, beat NG2 and/or 3 but not NG1. It'll be worth a laugh either way.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Fundamentally, there's really nothing separating NG from other sidescrolling action games of its particular bent. Of course there's that particularly harsh knockback that all but mandates a mastery of Act VI to avoid a lot of struggle while mastering its boss rush. But I guarantee if you mastered a number of similarly intense or harder sidescrollers and returned to NG, you'd look at it differently (and would beat it). I certainly wouldn't assume doing so was beyond you, anyway! I've neither 2-ALLed Daimakaimura nor 1CCd Ninja Spirit, but I've come pretty close and both had a lot more to digest than any of the three NES NGs.

As you correctly surmised, I'm stubborn as all hell, so the raging brute force approach your commentaries seemed to suggest you were using did eventually work for me, when I was new to the game (after like a year, on/off)...
me, last year wrote:I practically sweated blood to finish it as a kid even with the unlimited continues. NGII's later stages practically turned me blue with rage back then, and it's probably a good thing I never got my hands on NGIII, particularly as it would've been the infamously hard US version. Says a lot about my gaming history that the first thing I thought of when I saw a clip of an eagle knocking a goat off a mountain recently was NG1!
me, last year again wrote:Can't recall it happening to me in my NES days (I would've remembered, I got the proverbial "brick wall demolished with forehead" clear).
...but it's a bad idea. Much less painful to keep questioning your own methods and improving them wherever you can, putting failures along the way down to experience. That's all that goes into these games, really. That and some bloody-mindedness / stubbornness. Well, a lot of that.

Anyway, you're welcome in the NG thread any time! The System11 Ryukenden Task Force is always recruiting... Image

Back to regularly scheduled annoying little things.

sandflies :[
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

I'm rather in training to be part of the X-Multiply Task Force... or else the Fatal Fury 3 task force...

Oh, getting back on topic... little thing that's bothered me lately is how American arcade joysticks (referring to the actual stick, not the entire controller) and Japanese sticks feel so different. This is actually causing me minor angst, because I've got a stick with American-style Happ parts that I custom built and I'm trying to decide if its worth the cost to replace those with Japanese-style Sanwa (and if I do, what'll I do with the Happ parts?)

Random other thing, and this is something the the Ryukenden Task Force might want to inform scrubs of... sometimes your diet can affect your play. Too many sodas is especially bad.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yes! Too tired or too wired and you've just entered a raffle for a round trip ticket to scrubsville! Superior performance demands superior nutrition. 8)
CIT

Post by CIT »

Why did JAPJAC get banned?

Any particular reason other than him being himself?
BIL

Post by BIL »

His last few posts seem to have vanished, I guess he JAPJACked up the casual racism a bit high this time around.

In short: no, I guess not. :lol:
Ed Oscuro wrote:Tout simplement magnifique, BIL!
Merci Ed! Wait, what the...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUOutjv6iks :shock:

Monsieur JAPJACQUES's language is truly a remarkable thing! Its legacy will certainly continue.

edit: A REMEMBRANCE OF THE JAPAN FIRSTS
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
Rob wrote:Do you feel a sense of loss after every trash day, too?
BIL wrote:JAPJAC is banned. ;_;

In Memoriam
Ha ha, my god, that really is him (or at least how I imagine him to be. Sort of.)

Never heard of that show - written by Charlie Brooker and Chris Morris? Dunno how it slipped me by. :idea:
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

Skykid wrote:Never heard of that show
Me neither, I only found out about it when the title character was mentioned on this forum as a dead ringer for a certain overly nationalist Frenchman! It's quite uncanny, isn't it... I wonder if other infamous forum heels have similar fictional doppelgangers?
KAI

Post by KAI »

The word "Retrogaming"
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Skykid wrote:
BIL wrote:JAPJAC is banned. ;_;

In Memoriam
Ha ha, my god, that really is him (or at least how I imagine him to be. Sort of.)

Never heard of that show - written by Charlie Brooker and Chris Morris? Dunno how it slipped me by. :idea:
Looking, learning, moving on. :mrgreen:
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

When your pee stream forks in half.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Lord Satori wrote:When your pee stream forks in half.
Every damn time :(
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I was actually going to post that here a few days ago but thought it a bit too personal. Well said :lol:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

That's only a major problem if you have a Prince Albert.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Mine only does that after I jerk off or have sex (which is rare). I presume this is the same cause for everyone.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I thought the same, but I've had it happen without anything like that before :?
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
dcharlie

Post by dcharlie »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Re8qj07_Y

that Nathan Barley was about as good as it'll ever get - i love Morris and Brooker but watching someone so horribly deluded about their entire being and existence was just a bit too painful to watch.

The guy who plays Nathan was in a pretty fun if throw-away comedy called No Heroics that, despite a so-so trailer, is pretty funny.
"I've asked 2 experts on taking RGB screenshots...."
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Summer, please hurry up and end.

Yesterday I was nauseated all day due to heat... and one other thing.

Food allergies, especially to foods I used to love. As a kid? Loved Macaroni and Cheese. As an adult? I risk spending the day in bed with stomach ailments if I touch it.

Also, that the anime I want to watch is never, ever one I actually have on hand.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BIL wrote:
Skykid wrote:Never heard of that show
Me neither, I only found out about it when the title character was mentioned on this forum as a dead ringer for a certain overly nationalist Frenchman! It's quite uncanny, isn't it... I wonder if other infamous forum heels have similar fictional doppelgangers?
That show is brilliant. :D Watched the pilot today. Well fucking futile, yeah!

I think Gaijinpunch would appreciate.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Jonst

Post by Jonst »

Almost everyone I've recommended Nathan barley to has never understood it,killing any chance of a decent conversation about it afterwards...
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
dcharlie

Post by dcharlie »

On the subject of Morris i have to say that Jam was one of the most surreal comedy experiences i've ever had. I'd already heard the radio show that it spawned from but some of the sketches in video format just had that extra layer of ... horror? ... disturbing? ... well , something.

It's a "comedy" that i'd really REALLY think thirty times about before recommending to someone but if you can fall into it there's some amazing moments - the intro(s) does enough to put off most people !

But - if you fancy something stylistically interesting and, um ,comedic-wise "challenging" people might want to give it a try. The Day Today and Brass Eye it is not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCtG5_yKafE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2vhaLtx6oM
etc...

take the intro test! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhYyjhXyLZw

(... and that first sketch that follows... goooood god lol. What an introduction to the series)
"I've asked 2 experts on taking RGB screenshots...."
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Something that occured to me (in part due to the Breaking Bad topic, but also because my mind has weird associations), and a really petty thing to bring up, but whatever:

When people say that Avatar: the Last Airbender proves that American animation can be just as good as anime. When I hear people say that, all it proves to me is that the person saying that doesn't really understand anime, and likely has no exposure to it outside of Naruto and stuff that airs on Cartoon Network (and even those, they only have a superficial understanding of).
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
Lord Satori wrote:When your pee stream forks in half.
Every damn time :(
In totally unrelated news, I need new shoes.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/12/if ... -producer/

This entire article and modern gaming on a whole :(
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Never_Scurred

Post by Never_Scurred »

1. Old white men and their sense of entitlement.

2. Jazz musicians who pepper every fucking thing they say with a quote from some long dead jazz legend.

3. Having a sweet deal cockblocked by sales tax.

4. That you can't rent certain movies on iTunes, even if they're two or three years old.
"It's a joke how the Xbox platform has caught shit for years for only having shooters, but now it's taken on an entirely different meaning."-somebody on NeoGAF
Watch me make Ketsui my bitch.
Never_Scurred

Post by Never_Scurred »

dcharlie wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Re8qj07_Y

that Nathan Barley was about as good as it'll ever get - i love Morris and Brooker but watching someone so horribly deluded about their entire being and existence was just a bit too painful to watch.

The guy who plays Nathan was in a pretty fun if throw-away comedy called No Heroics that, despite a so-so trailer, is pretty funny.
Have you seen Four Lions?
Is it any good?
I bought the dvd but never got around to watching it yet. I love Chris Morris and his brand of humor.
"It's a joke how the Xbox platform has caught shit for years for only having shooters, but now it's taken on an entirely different meaning."-somebody on NeoGAF
Watch me make Ketsui my bitch.