Upgrading from Hori EX2 to HRAP EX-SE

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Neith

Upgrading from Hori EX2 to HRAP EX-SE

Post by Neith »

I've always been a game pad gamer but noticing that you all prefer sticks I went down that road. I have been using a Hori EX2 Fighting stick for the last year or so, I got it for my PC. Since then I got a Xbox360 and Deathsmiles and have been loving it.

I've noticed that the EX2 feels cheap, the buttons in particular. They are inconsistent, required different amounts of pressure to push. Accidental inputs are frequent. I have since adjusted to it and with a bit of care I can make it do what I want. Can't complain too much about the joystick itself though.

My question is How much of an improvement should I expect? I have been a fan of arcades since the late 80s / early 90s but never had enough money, and that was a long, long time ago so I can't really compare anything to my EX2 until the EX-SE arrives.

I hope it is worth it, shipping to the UK was almost as much as the stick itself.

The HRAP VX SA was also tempting me but I wanted Seimitsu parts.
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Upgrading from Hori EX2 to HRAP EX-SE

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For Neith,

It's quite a jump in terms of using said Japanese Seimitsu arcade parts on a HRAP EX-SE compared to a cheaper Hori EX2 setup (which uses generic Hori parts for both the arcade stick and push buttons). The only minor gripe is that the HRAP EX-SE doesn't have built-in auto fire capabilities (like the HRAP VX SA arcade stick does have built-in adjustable auto-rates on the fly + uses Japanese Sanwa arcade parts instead for the arcade stick & push buttons).

You made an excellent choice in upgrading to an Xbox 360 arcade stick that uses all Seimitsu parts. Prepare to see your shmup scores getting higher and higher indeed (compared to using an EX2 stick setup). ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

it's a huge upgrade. you'll be very happy. that being said, you can still mod the ex2 with better parts. you'll probably want someone who knows what they are doing to do the work, as that stick in particular is a bit of a pain, but it can be pretty nice when modded.
Neith

Post by Neith »

Thanks both of you for the responses, I knew the difference would be worthwhile but wasn't sure by how much.

I'm just a little bit conflicted because I like the design and layout of the VX SA more than the one I chose. I could get it for just slightly more money, but my understanding is that Seimitsu parts are generally best for shooters, so I went with the EX-SE. It hasn't shipped yet so it is not impossible to change my order..
Wonderbanana

Post by Wonderbanana »

Neith wrote: I hope it is worth it, shipping to the UK was almost as much as the stick itself.
That doesn't sound good :(

I brought my EX-SE from Amazon US for about £80 brand new and it was shipped over here to the UK in 2 days flat for about £16.

Edit: Oh and fwiw it's a great stick, you should love it :)
Neith

Post by Neith »

I missed that deal unfortunately. I ended up paying around £25 more than you with the fastest shipping option.

I'm quite excited I hope to 1cc Deathsmiles with it as I am so very close :)
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

This seems like a good place to ask this question so here goes:

i fancy getting a stick and have noticed there are various ones available with mushi, DS and otemedius G, all are hugely expensive (cheapest ive found is £180 for second hand). Now i just checked on ebay and found loads of different 360 sticks mainly called 'fightstick', but these are only circa £50. Is there any difference in the quality or are the shooter sticks just more collectable? And is there a difference between 'ex2' and 'real arcade pro'?

thanks in advance
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

small remark: Amazon.com actually has the HRAP Premium VLX in stock (for $299). That's considerably cheaper than ordering one from Play-Asia.... even when ordering from Europe that's less than 300 EUR incl. express shipping *AND* all taxes.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Guardians Knight wrote:i fancy getting a stick and have noticed there are various ones available with mushi, DS and otemedius G, all are hugely expensive (cheapest ive found is £180 for second hand). Now i just checked on ebay and found loads of different 360 sticks mainly called 'fightstick', but these are only circa £50. Is there any difference in the quality or are the shooter sticks just more collectable? And is there a difference between 'ex2' and 'real arcade pro'?
The vast majority of licensed sticks are exactly the same as the sticks they're based on, except that they're more expensive and collectible. Some of the licensed HRAPs are actually more difficult to mod. Now, the Virtual On and Otomedius sticks are special because of the twinsticks and touchpad respectively and there's no unlicensed version for either.

FightStick is just Mad Catz's stick line. There's the SE and TE, which is equivalent to the difference between the EX and RAP. If you want to dabble in sticks at an affordable price, go with the SE or EX. If you're involved in serious competition and demand the best from your controls, go with the TE or an all-Sanwa / all-Seimitsu RAP.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I really can't recommend a Hori EX2 or its licensed variants (Soulcalibur IV, BlazBlue CT, etc) under any circumstances - the stock parts are of extremely substandard quality and they're prohibitively difficult to mod. For the same cost, MadCatz SEs have better stock parts and you can change for Sanwa/Seimitsu parts with nothing more than a screwdriver.

I personally own a Hori RAP EX-SE (imported from the first wave of Horistore orders, back when we all thought it would be a one-time-only JP-website-only deal), MadCatz TE (stock and pretty much just sits in its box under my bed collecting dust), and MadCatz SE (with Seimitsu LS-32/PS-14-GN swapped in).
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

so as a first dabble into sticks would a ex2 be an acceptable starting point, or should i really be looking at an ex-se or equivalent to do my shooter collection justice? am currently using the hori joypad and find this fine, altho guwange hurts my thumb with all the moving of your spirit guide with the dpad
Barrakketh

Post by Barrakketh »

EX-SE unless you plan on replacing the stick yourself, and the buttons later on when they start to fail. The JLF and its imitators aren't really suited for shooters.

Personally, I own a SSFIV TE (the TE-S) and replaced the JLF with a Seimitsu LS-40-01. I picked up the TE-S for $128 USD shipped, and it is more mod friendly than Hori's sticks. (Dual-modding a Hori stick is basically out of the question without replacing the PCB, which means spending more money on another controller so you can gut it.) There are some issues with practically every doujin game in existence without using a workaround (one of which is dual-modding, the other is an unofficial driver) due to the nature of Xbox 360 controller so that could be a problem.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Guardians Knight wrote:so as a first dabble into sticks would a ex2 be an acceptable starting point, or should i really be looking at an ex-se or equivalent to do my shooter collection justice? am currently using the hori joypad and find this fine, altho guwange hurts my thumb with all the moving of your spirit guide with the dpad

the sfiv tournement 360 stick is £80 in hmv?

I think this may be the most cost effective route - especially if you play fighters as well. [Uses a sanwa stick + buttons].

Personally I prefer sanwa, but once used to stick the Seimitsu stick could always be modded in later as mentioned by Barrakketh.

If you just want seimitsu from the outset then its £ for a hori se or the mod route.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Barrakketh wrote:EX-SE unless you plan on replacing the stick yourself, and the buttons later on when they start to fail.
and the pcb, when that dies.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

brokenhalo wrote:
Barrakketh wrote:EX-SE unless you plan on replacing the stick yourself, and the buttons later on when they start to fail.
and the pcb, when that dies.
Haven't had a Hori PCB fail on me yet (*knocks on wooden desk vigorously*). I'd say the early MadCatz PCBs are more suspect, as you can easily see the cheaper parts used once you open it up (for example, the use of black blob COBs rather than IMO more reliable ICs).
Guardians Knight wrote:so as a first dabble into sticks would a ex2 be an acceptable starting point, or should i really be looking at an ex-se or equivalent to do my shooter collection justice? am currently using the hori joypad and find this fine, altho guwange hurts my thumb with all the moving of your spirit guide with the dpad
Just to reiterate - I don't think an EX2 is worth owning at any price. As far as I'm concerned, it's pure garbage.
Neith

Post by Neith »

I started with an EX2 that I got for £45 shipped from amazon.co.uk to use on my PC for MAME. I have recently bought an Xbox360.
Since I was unsure if I would prefer a stick over my Saturn pad I didn't want to spend too much money.

It is very apparant that the EX2 hori parts are sub-standard when compared to better sticks. The buttons especially.
Despite this I have really enjoyed it. I have 1 cc'd Deathsmiles with one of the characters on it.
I have had to adjust my use based on the EX2s weaknesses. Tapping the buttons in a specific way so they don't register being held down, etc.

When my EX-SE arrives I'm sure the difference in quality will be much, much more apparant.
Having the EX2 for my friends to use as player 2 will be nice.

Like the more experienced posters have said the EX2 is not very good, but I think it has its purpose. If it were garbage it wouldn't be on my shelf it would be in the bin.

*edit*
I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy an EX2. If I knew then what I know now I would have bought something better.
I just felt I should share my honest opinion of it based on my experience.
Neith

Post by Neith »

Ok the stick has arrived. I love it :)

One question though to those who have it:
Is there a plastic film on the top that should be removed? It really doesn't seem like it wants to come off but I've heard people say that the surface of the stick is unmarkable and very durable. Mine gets smudges and finger prints all over it.

It came in english packaging so it is the USA model.

Thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me!
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Mine was on for a bit, but it started scrunching up fairly quick and I had to get rid of it. The surface is indeed durable and it'll look a lot better bare than with oily wrinkled plastic on top of it.

Note you might need to open the case (open the screws on the top, don't bother removing the bottom plate) and pop out the buttons a bit to get at the plastic sealed under the button bezels.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

I recently discovered that the EX-SE has an unnecessary additional gate, you might want to open the stick up and remove it. I know I am.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Indeed, that secondary guide is only needed if you want 4-way or 2-way; in 8-way mode it just makes the stick "lumpier". I think I have my secondary guides and the screws that held them to the lever in a ziplock bag somewhere.
Barrakketh

Post by Barrakketh »

Elixir wrote:I recently discovered that the EX-SE has an unnecessary additional gate, you might want to open the stick up and remove it. I know I am.
That's common to all LS-32 sticks. The pivot also pops up some when you hit the gate hard.