TATE setup

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Nico87

TATE setup

Post by Nico87 »

So, I'm planning to buy this

http://www.lefdal.com/product/lyd-bilde ... v-le19c355

Would this be any good to play Cave 360 shooters (+ Batsugun and DDP's for PS1) TATE mode with?

And what would be the recommended TV and game setup to do it with?
gundamalpha

Re: TATE setup

Post by gundamalpha »

I personally wouldn't want to tate a 16:9 panel
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Lcds; you'll be fine to tate it whatever the aspect ratio... Personally I'd want a bigger screen but that's up to personal taste.

1366 x 768 is an odd resolution - you might be better off getting a native 1080p or even a 720p

Generally best performance and color accuracy is gotten via vga or dvi inputs, although often hdmi now proves to be just as good on most tvs [and handy for audio if not going into separate receivers/speakers].

HOWEVER THE REAl IMPORTANT THING IS: You really need to check the screen's input lag , note this is different, and in addition, to screen response times. Often it is hard to find input lag figures since these often vary depending upon resolution and input type [and to be fair most non gamers couldn't care less]... but an input lag could ruin a shmup experience for you... Many fighting game fans also have similar concerns...

Color/viewing angle wise you probably want to avoid TN panels, and go for IPS, S-IPS, again finding this information can be a bit tricky - and you really need to check the input lag details with IPS panels...

[I couldn't quickly find such information for this tv - maybe I'm blind ;)]

I don't know if anyone has any specific recommendation for a tv in Norway (?)

Hope this helps!
njiska

Post by njiska »

gray117 wrote:1366 x 768 is an odd resolution - you might be better off getting a native 1080p or even a 720p
Actually you'd be surprised how common a resolution that is. A lot of "native" 720p displays are actually that resolution and not 1280x720. I'm not sure if they scale the image or what, but it's really, really common.
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
Nico87

Post by Nico87 »

Well, I bought the TV. It's not like I was only going to use it for TATE.

I have a question though. When I TATE my 22" CRT it's so damn visible that it's in TATE mode, but when I tried ghetto-TATE with the TV above, there's hardly any difference between when my TV is in normal position and when it's rotated. Are my eyes playing tricks or what?

Think I might just stick with my 22" CRT for shmups tbfh.
njiska

Post by njiska »

Nico87 wrote:Think I might just stick with my 22" CRT for shmups tbfh.

Probably is the best decision. It'll be the right shape display and you won't have to worry about processing input lag.
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
Shogun

Post by Shogun »

Nico87 wrote:Well, I bought the TV. It's not like I was only going to use it for TATE.

I have a question though. When I TATE my 22" CRT it's so damn visible that it's in TATE mode, but when I tried ghetto-TATE with the TV above, there's hardly any difference between when my TV is in normal position and when it's rotated. Are my eyes playing tricks or what?

Think I might just stick with my 22" CRT for shmups tbfh.

Careful...playing in ghetto tate for too long has dangerous side effects. You might get up one day and everything will still be sideways. At least you wouldn't have to worry about rotating your monitor but driving might be a bit of a bother.