The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Bunk

Post by Bunk »

Hi everyone.

Only just joined up as my search for a supergun brought me to your trading section (now in the process of buying a Sigma AV7000 + 2 TB9000s off Flazh).

I'm based in the UK and I've been playing videogames since the Megadrive/SNES era. Just over five years ago I had a supergun and a modest collection of boards (Ketsui, Progear, Nebulasray, R-Type Leo, Battle Bakraid, Armed Police Batrider, 19XX, and Aliens) but sold the lot when buying a house with my fiancee.

Now, for some strange reason I'm getting drawn back in (actually, I know what it is, it's the news of Ketsui coming to the 360 - it stirred some strong emotions inside :)) and I can't wait to hook up whatever my first board is (yes, must get some of these too), cranking up the volume, and losing myself in a great shooter for an hour.

Throughout all this, one question keeps going through my head ... why oh why did I sell Ketsui? :cry:

:)
kog3100_edw

Post by kog3100_edw »

Long-time lurker.
Long-time player actually, as in ancient. Pre-NES. Started playing at local pizza parlors when Space Invaders, Night Driver, and Pong were new.

Yikes. No way I'm going public with my age.

Anyway, have never really stopped playing in all this time. I'm into a number of different genres, but they're all pretty old-skool or have old-skool roots; 2D fighters, driving games... mixing in an occasional FPS or 3D fighter. STGs are my first, maybe my best, love.

Cheers.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Another hello to the even-newer newbies. :)
rancid3000

Post by rancid3000 »

I'm pretty new to posting here but I've been playing shmups on and off for about 5 years or more. I'm 21 but will be 22 soon. Recently I have been into the bullet hell type games but the games that really got me into the genre are Galaga, R-Type I and II and Strikers 1945+.

Like bunk, I recently got back into shmups after buying an xbox and learning that Dodonpachi and Ketsui are going to be ported. I'm trying to find a cheap, used Japanese 360 now =(

Currently I am studying health and physical education at the Unviersity of Delaware.

My main hobby is actually juggling. I've been juggling for 5 and a half years now. Shameless plugs to my youtube videos:

Most popular with 25,000 views

Newest video
PieOrDie

Post by PieOrDie »

thanks for the info about the 0.99 saving for cave games. i got better at some bosses because of it. Furthermore, does anyone know what good shmups i can start out with 1cc'ng. i don't know what ones are difficult or not.

thanks
~PoD
Last edited by PieOrDie on Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Don't concern yourself with trying to 1cc something just for the sake of doing so. Find a shooter you like to play more than the rest, and play it... alot. You'll get the 1cc down eventually, and if you like the game enough, will continue to try and improve your score, and/or clear it with fewer deaths, etc. Or whatever you want to do with it so long as you continue to have fun.
PieOrDie

Post by PieOrDie »

so i should beat the game and just gradually lower my deaths until it becomes a 1cc?
Last edited by PieOrDie on Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

PieOrDie wrote:so i should beat the game and just gradually lower my deaths until it becomes a 1cc?
Yeah, this is quite a good tactic. Perhaps start off with a goal of 3 or 4cc'ing the game, and then work your way down from there. Remember: while many on this forum will stand behind the 1 credit clear as the only true way to interact with an arcade game, you should remember the central concept that can be attributed to all arcade games: 'Please Continue'.
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

MX7 wrote:you should remember the central concept that can be attributed to all arcade games: 'Please Continue'.
Please give us more money.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

themachinist wrote:
MX7 wrote:you should remember the central concept that can be attributed to all arcade games: 'Please Continue'.
Exactly.
AraraSPAMWitch

Post by AraraSPAMWitch »

'Sup dudes. Been lurking for a little now, decided I'd join the party. Dabbled in shmups for a while, played LifeForce and Gradius NES roms in the library with a friend pretty much every day my junior year of high school, but then in college I got for serious.

I owe this largely to crithit5000, who introduced me to Cho Ren fucking Sha on this other forum, and this other guy HeWhoGoverns, who, despite being a power-up stealling whore, showed me how to run MAME, lent me his PS2 so I could play ESPGaluda, and taught me the one-credit rule. which completely changed my perspective on gaming and Nietzschean philosophy.

So yeah, that's it.
PieOrDie

Post by PieOrDie »

just tried Mushihime. that game is fun, although i suck hard at it. it looks really nice though.
TheWalkingDude

Post by TheWalkingDude »

Hello everybody, I also am a long-time lurker. I started out on shmups with some Genesis games a few years back, such as Thunder Force 3 and 4, but eventually, I managed to try out Radiant Silvergun last summer and that's when everything just went downhill (or uphill. Depends on who you ask.) Then, I started playing other arcade shmups (Dodonpachi, mostly) one credit at a time, after having discovered the 1CC rule at Insomnia.ac.

Some of my current favorite shmups include Radiant Silvergun (No duh, huh?), ESP Ra. De. and R-Type Final (Why does it get so much hate anyways?)

I'm looking forward to acquiring some new tricks from the very best and I hope no one will point and laugh at my sub-par skill...
Animal Collective and Big Black. Make of that what you will.
Dragoforce

Post by Dragoforce »

Hi!

Been lurking around here for a year or so, but due to various reasons (love that explanation) I havent gotten around to posting much. Anyways, I played for team Sweden in this years Shooting game tournament (which was a real blast!) and I have played shmups on and off for the most part of my life. Some favorite games: Boogie Wings, Hyper Duel, Espgaluda, Area 88, Sonic Wings 2 and Battle Garegga.

What's more to say... I'm 22 years old and study social psychology (amongs other subjects) at Linkopings university in Sweden. I live with my girlfriend, 2 rats and too many games in a small apartment. If all goes according to plan I will start working as a prison guard this summer or "kriminalvårdare" in swedish (roughly translates to caretaker of interns)

In contrast to most swedes my english is not very good, so please don't go flaming on me if I misspell something :)
Swedish shmup community - stgfan.com
Do not be afraid...
romscout

Post by romscout »

Yea, I came upon this site by chance because I just happened to be on a little shmup binge, and then it's ilke "whatddya know, a forum full of people who like shmups... sounds good enough for me!" Oh, and I also was a little bugged by the fact that I could never get the text to show up in Ether Vapor, but then I saw this forum through Google and it solved how to do that for me. Yay and stuff! So yea, I might not post a lot, and I don't have a huge collection (I looked in the collections thread and am just like "whoooooa"), but I've played a lot of the famous titles in the genre and have started to love this stuff again (shmups and I had a little dip in the relationship for a while thanks to some particular bullet hells, but that's fixed).

Hope to be around here plenty, try some stuff I didn't know about, check out the site some more, and have fun! See you all around!
system11

Post by system11 »

MX7 wrote:
themachinist wrote:
Exactly.
The older arcade manuals advised operators to set games to be hard enough that their players could only last for 3 minutes, to maximise profits. It's there in black & white, in a lot of Capcom ones.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

Greetings and salutations to all new humanoids.
Fight Like A Robot!
oli_lar

Post by oli_lar »

Hi to all, I'm on the Retrogamer and Assembler forums too, enjoy a good bit of shmupping on the PC Engine and PS2. Also into electronic music (Breaks and Trance mainly) and dable with a bit of music production. Currently in last year of uni at University of Sheffield, UK.
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

Hi. I'm new here but over time have played a wide variety of shmups. Right now I am looking to pick up some new shmups to play on the PC or on the arcade. I played many of the popular ones: Raiden, Gradius, DoDonPachi, Cho Ren Sha, and Twin Bee. I'm not so much as pushing myself to 1cc such games. I just want to enjoy them.
logical123

Post by logical123 »

Hey, I'm Rob, and I'm a classic gamer. I've come here to find out some new shmups to play. I've played all the classics, and loved them (They're my favorite games!), but I know that the shmup genre is MUCH larger than what I have come to know of it. I am currently awaiting a copy of Ikaruga for the Cube in the mail. That'll keep me busy!

Cheers!
gibbous

Post by gibbous »

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while too. I've posted a little bit, but I decided to "come out" because I think I might start asking more questions. I'm still exploring the shmupn' side of my video game playing, I've been collecting classic arcade games for a while already, but have always liked old school arcade shmups like Xevious, Gun.Smoke, and Lifeforce.

I recently picked up an Astro City cab that AKRATEN helped me 'tate. Right now, it's got a nice and inexpensive Raiden in it. I picked up a Raiden II board but it freezes after a couple of minutes. Still trying to figure that one out. I also snagged a non/working but complete Ikari Warriors cab that will be perfect for my Time Soldiers PCB too.

I'm having a lot of trouble coming up with the cash for the newer spendy titles, so by necessity more than not wanting to try anything new, I'll probably be looking at older shmups. In the meantime I do enjoy the newer stuff in MAME.

Thanks.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Yo all,

my very first shmup was M.U.S.H.A. on the Genesis, at least as ones that I became obsessed with go. I guess Galaga and what not count before that.

Castle Shikigami 2's (hilariously badly dubbed) US release got me back in the genre with a passion, and now I pretty much play any shmup I can get my hands on.

Touhou hates me.

Some other shmups I love include Raystorm/Crisis, Radio Allergy(got hooked on this real fast), Gunbird 2, and Silpheed(Sega CD/PS2).

Just noticed someone from West Palm Beach on the last page, so I'm obligated to mention that I'm from Coral Springs.

So Fla represent! 8)
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Pretty amazed that you're one of the few that can actually tolerate Radio Allergy. Good job. Also, welcome!
Wurstkopp

Post by Wurstkopp »

Hi everyone! I'm 32 years old and located in Germany. Since about 2 years I'm a shmup-fan and mostly playing pcb's, but because of the prices of the cooler shmups now seriously thinking about a Mame-projekt in my new astro city or MVS-U4. During my search for infos bout candys (especially the monitors) I discovered this great forum. Cause of my bad English I probably won't ever post something again but only for the case I will, at least I have introduced myself :D.
robthebanks

Post by robthebanks »

Haven't dropped by here yet, so I figure its about time...
My dad was a heavy Stargate (Defender II) player in the arcades in Vancouver (he claims to have held the hi-score title for a while, but perhaps this is claim based in nostalgia), and so I suppose him playing that at home on our old PC when I was a kid first got me into shmups. Last year I got into shooters a lot more after trying out Bangai-O for the DC, and after playing some bullet hells with my friend (who also just got heavily into shmups via Warning Forever) I've been hooked ever since. Still trying 1cc DoDonPachi, I'm a pretty big noob... But I hope to get good eventually...
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hello to the new people.

Also, while this has nothing to do with anything, RTB, whenever I see your name, I can't help but picture Rob with a Rich Uncle Pennybags top hat and moustache.
robthebanks

Post by robthebanks »

Hah, I hope thats a good thing!
zSection

new 2 the forum

Post by zSection »

Been a shmup fan since playing space invaders a long time ago,,,. Maybe more of an RPG fan, but when it gets down to short gameplay then it will always be a shooter. I've owned many consoles, but when the saturn was released, to me it was a new era of home gaming. In the day i'd bought 2 japanese saturns and got as many shmups as possible via import, only recently completing my collection. Sega's DC is also awesome for shooters imho, and as much as i dislike Sony I'll admit the ps2 is a good shooter machine. Basically, this site renewed my interest and i'm buying shmups i didnt even know existed. Awesome stuff and great site that inspired me to turn my 68cm JVC on it's side

Fave shmup of all time - Battle Garrega
Fave Controller - Saturn 1st gen pad
Fave shmup console - saturn

Currently playing, X11 stag, Homura, ESPgaluda, Batsugan, Thunderforce 5
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Welcome new people, glad to have you!

I registered 2 years ago when I became infatuated with Raiden Fighters Jet at an arcade around here. It got to the point that I wanted to know more information on how to score (or where more of those micluses were) so I found my way to this site.

I ran into the occasional shmup as I was growing up, Gunnac might'v been the first one I played. And the first shmup I really grew a fondness to was U.N. Squadron. I remember when I rented Mystical Ninja Goemon on the SNES and discovered the Gradius minigame at the amusement park... remembering this brings me such a feeling of nostalgia, to think, so many years later, I'd be 1cc'ing the real Gradius games. In fact, I've got Gradius IV running in the ps2, hooked up to an HRAP2 as I type this.

The fascination with these games never flowered untill I played for score.

What I really love about shmups, and these forums, especially is the comradery the fans share to learn, improve and compete. They also are a fantastic escape when 'in the zone' (we had a topic about this before.)

Anyway... it's been a pleasure to be here. About me, I'm 22, a big procrastinator, a sort of lackluster poet, and have dropped out of music production school after High School. But now I'm looking forward to schooling this Summer as I've inherited some money. I also LOVE EarthBound / Mother series, that game impacted my life.

And new people, don't be afraid to submit scores! Cheers ;D
terry330

Post by terry330 »

Hello

I've lurked here for a bit and decided to finally join.

Been into shmups for quite a while as well as other 2D and arcade related games. Some people might recognize me from the NG.com forums.

Favorite shmups are Batrider, Under Defeat and Download.