SHIT my JP Xbox 360 has just died

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Trevor spencer

SHIT my JP Xbox 360 has just died

Post by Trevor spencer »

Fucking great my JP 360 has just died and i was progressing quite nicely with my DS EX 1cc :x

Anyway what are my options for getting this fixed , I can take it apart and have a mess around myself but is there a decent kit i can use or will microsoft fix this for me ?

Im in the UK btw

Many Thanks
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
neorichieb1971

Re: SHIT my JP Xbox 360 has just died

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Sorry to hear. Xbox years are fast. Most people I know use a broken 360 as an excuse to buy a new one with warranty. I don't know many people that risk a fix. Microsoft has an exchange program which is your best bet. They send a courier to your house with a new machine.

I'd start here - http://support.xbox.com/en-gb/Pages/default.aspx
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

All of the older Xbox 360 models are destined to fail given a long enough time. I used my old J360's death as an excuse to go ahead and get a new Xbox 360s unit, and I've been much happier with it.

To be fair though, it would have cost the same amount either way as I had a release day unit with no warranty.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Yeah mines a release JP model so to be fair its done well to last this long

Ill try the RROD kit plus new upgraded fan and if that donst fix it then ive only lost £17 , Then id just break it and chuck the parts on ebay and put the money towards a new slim version

Btw weres the best place to find a new JP 360 these days? I seriously need one before Akai comes out

Thanks
YouTube
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Trevor spencer wrote:Yeah mines a release JP model so to be fair its done well to last this long

Ill try the RROD kit plus new upgraded fan and if that donst fix it then ive only lost £17 , Then id just break it and chuck the parts on ebay and put the money towards a new slim version

Btw weres the best place to find a new JP 360 these days? I seriously need one before Akai comes out

Thanks
I was lucky and due to some shit I was able to get mine for cost and a favor. So I'm not sure what they're actually running, but I paid 260 or so for actual Dollar to Yen conversion for the 4gb base model.
Evilmaxwar

Post by Evilmaxwar »

Sorry to hear that, If you want to fix it yourself and have a better chance of it working for some time again try the Hybrid x-clamp replacement kit, its better than the other basic fixes, You can also try llama's fix. Plz dont use the towel trick and beware of using self-overheating of the console, it shorten hardware life span. If xclamp replacement does not work you need to reflow the Motherboard.
IMO best way to repair the 360, short of having it refurbished by M$, is to have it reflowed by a professional or at least by someone who knows his stuff, then you can apply airflow mods to it.

http://forums.xbox-experts.com/viewtopi ... =13&t=2969 * interesting airflow mod thread.

I recently bought 5 broken 360 from Ebay and fixed them, had 3 rrod and 2 e74. My boxes were in a sorry state and had already been "fixed" before with a cheap x-clamp fix that did not work. I had to reflow them all using griddle + heatgun + insulation, now they work but they have a reputation of breaking again after a while, i had my first one break again after 3 weeks of regular playing, im now experimenting to find the most durable fix for my consoles.

I actualy think fixing these things is alot of fun.

Good luck with your JP, and please if you want to sell the broken unit keep it whole and dont sell parts separatly, dvd drive is paired with mother board, the whole thing becomes useless if they are separated !
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Er, I believe microsoft will actually fix this for you in the uk.

Trying to find where I've seen this before; think a repair has happened for other people before in the uk with jap sytems - try checking with microsoft and specify its asian/jap in case they simply replace the console.

... You could always try billing the EU; it was their shit laws that banned the use of lead in solder which has been at the route of so many of these issues...
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

gray117 wrote:Er, I believe microsoft will actually fix this for you in the uk.

Trying to find where I've seen this before; think a repair has happened for other people before in the uk with jap sytems - try checking with microsoft and specify its asian/jap in case they simply replace the console.

... You could always try billing the EU; it was their shit laws that banned the use of lead in solder which has been at the route of so many of these issues...
I should try that here. You know, considering that was one of the reasons that the USA passed the same law -_-
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

you can try the x-clamp mod, but that is only going to buy you a couple more months at best (i know from experience). if you can't get it fixed under warranty sell the busted one and buy a new one. no sense in spending money for extra fans and such if it's just going to die again.
Evilmaxwar

Post by Evilmaxwar »

brokenhalo wrote:you can try the x-clamp mod, but that is only going to buy you a couple more months at best (i know from experience). if you can't get it fixed under warranty sell the busted one and buy a new one. no sense in spending money for extra fans and such if it's just going to die again.
I agree with you, once these units have failed once, most repairs have a reputation of not lasting more than a couple months. If one is not interested in studying the problem and taking time tinkering with the console repeatedly, better off selling the unit and go buy a new one. Trevor, Consider a Jasper and not a Slim if you want to keep using the same HDD, slim uses a different HDD.

That being said, i am one of those who like to thinker. I do believe there is a way to fix the old troublesome boxes for good. There are some folks that did manage lasting repairs if you read through some forums. I really enjoy fixing stuff and i think 360 are a blast to mess with, most people do not feel this way yet i know i am not alone either. So i think the call is different for each people.

Trevor, if you decide to go for the repair at home solution, i dont mind sharing knowledge, i have been reading/studying 360 repair for the past 6 weeks. I totaly enjoy the subject !
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Yeah ill be trying to fix this tomorrow , I had the kit yestereday and dropped a bolt and washer on the floor and now i cant find it :x 2 bloody hours i was looking , Its just vanished - So ive had to order another kit FS :x

Even if this lasted me another 3 months id be happy as it will let me finish my DS EX 1cc and i can also save for a new system in that time , I think ill order a ASIA system from PA

Cheers
Trev
YouTube
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

Evilmaxwar wrote:
brokenhalo wrote:you can try the x-clamp mod, but that is only going to buy you a couple more months at best (i know from experience). if you can't get it fixed under warranty sell the busted one and buy a new one. no sense in spending money for extra fans and such if it's just going to die again.
I agree with you, once these units have failed once, most repairs have a reputation of not lasting more than a couple months. If one is not interested in studying the problem and taking time tinkering with the console repeatedly, better off selling the unit and go buy a new one. Trevor, Consider a Jasper and not a Slim if you want to keep using the same HDD, slim uses a different HDD.

That being said, i am one of those who like to thinker. I do believe there is a way to fix the old troublesome boxes for good. There are some folks that did manage lasting repairs if you read through some forums. I really enjoy fixing stuff and i think 360 are a blast to mess with, most people do not feel this way yet i know i am not alone either. So i think the call is different for each people.

Trevor, if you decide to go for the repair at home solution, i dont mind sharing knowledge, i have been reading/studying 360 repair for the past 6 weeks. I totaly enjoy the subject !
Actually, remove that HDD from the enclosure and it works perfectly in a slim. ;)

Fixing an original Xbox 360 is just a waste of time as it's a manufacturing fault. When my JP 360 RROD I thew it in the bin, didn't even try to Xclamp it.

I think Slim would be this guy's best bet, a 4GB one.
Evilmaxwar

Post by Evilmaxwar »

Trevor spencer wrote:dropped a bolt and washer on the floor and now i cant find it :x 2 bloody hours i was looking , Its just vanished
OMG the part swallowing vortex! So im not the only one to have them ...
It will likely be spit out at a different place sometime in the future.

Btw these bolts and washers are standard M5 and 1 mm thickness washers, i got them local from a specialized hardware store.
speedlolita wrote:When my JP 360 RROD I thew it in the bin, didn't even try to Xclamp it.
You did not even sell it? That is so sad, hope someone else found it and adopted it.
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

Smashed it to pieces with a sledgehammer. No more 360s for me.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

speedlolita wrote:Smashed it to pieces with a sledgehammer. No more 360s for me.
LOL
OMG the part swallowing vortex! So im not the only one to have them ...
It will likely be spit out at a different place sometime in the future.
Yes lol , or maybe house gremlins
YouTube
Evilmaxwar

Post by Evilmaxwar »

speedlolita wrote:Smashed it to pieces with a sledgehammer. No more 360s for me.
:shock:
njiska

Post by njiska »

Trevor spencer wrote:Btw weres the best place to find a new JP 360 these days? I seriously need one before Akai comes out

Thanks
If it's in-stock HMV will be the most affordable. They charge actually price + near actual EMS. No nasty import surcharge like buying from Play-asia.
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

njiska wrote:
Trevor spencer wrote:Btw weres the best place to find a new JP 360 these days? I seriously need one before Akai comes out

Thanks
If it's in-stock HMV will be the most affordable. They charge actually price + near actual EMS. No nasty import surcharge like buying from Play-asia.

ooohh lovely , Thanks very much
YouTube
pcb_revival

Post by pcb_revival »

Video Game Imports have J Slims if you want to use a UK based reseller otherwise risk import fees.

As for a UK spec Slim PSU try contacting MicroSoft. I told them I bought a machine while in Japan and after giving them the serial number they sent me a power supply totally free.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

pcb_revival wrote:Video Game Imports have J they sent me a power supply totally free.

Oh cool :P

Anyway , I fixed my 360 tonight , Its been working for about 30mins now , I dont expect this to last long but its better than nothing

:)
YouTube
njiska

Post by njiska »

pcb_revival wrote:As for a UK spec Slim PSU try contacting MicroSoft. I told them I bought a machine while in Japan and after giving them the serial number they sent me a power supply totally free.
This is something that bugs the hell out of me. Why make multiple PSUs rather than just one 120-240hz switched PSU with interchangeable cords? You know, like everything else?
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

Size, probably.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Well its dead again , Packed up today

360 4GB Slim here i come , HMV JP i think , Wonder what the import tax will be ? Ill also do what Speelolita said and remove my old HDD from its case and place it in the new slim
YouTube
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

njiska wrote:
pcb_revival wrote:As for a UK spec Slim PSU try contacting MicroSoft. I told them I bought a machine while in Japan and after giving them the serial number they sent me a power supply totally free.
This is something that bugs the hell out of me. Why make multiple PSUs rather than just one 120-240hz switched PSU with interchangeable cords? You know, like everything else?
Try this: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designer-s ... plug-47645

But they don't due to production costs - the majority of owners buy consoles from their own country. It's an external power adapter, not a transformer. It would be nice if they officially sold power adapters though.

Actually come to think of it, I'd need to find a 220v Slim power supply, if I bought one. Ugh.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

YouTube
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Trevor spencer wrote:Well its dead again , Packed up today

360 4GB Slim here i come , HMV JP i think , Wonder what the import tax will be ? Ill also do what Speelolita said and remove my old HDD from its case and place it in the new slim
Import tax is kind of random. Some stuff simply doesn't get picked up - some does.

If asked to pay it: 20% + £8 of object value. Unless under £15 or from a EU country.

Protip - makes sure item value on declarations does not include postage costs [usually doesn't, but some private sellers may make this mistake].

I've found ems delivery less likely to be taxed. Its not a solid recommendation, but it may help.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

WARNING for those who wish to fix their own consoles.

MS can BAN you from live for making an unauthorized repair.

They can detect this because the console logs failed boots and sends the log to MS every time you connect to live.

So unless a microsoft certified repair person logs the repair in the event log, you are flagged for banning as potentially having a modchip they can't detect yet.

The ban, if it happens, will be delayed until the next ban wave.

Things known to trigger a ban

1) fan mods
2) booting without the drive attached, even once, even when not connected to live at the time
3) failing to change the new drive id when replacing a drive
4) too many RRODs in a row before fixing it yourself (no one knows how much too many is)
alamone

Post by alamone »

I did a fan mod on mine (replaced w/ talismoon whisper, which is just as loud as the stock) and no issues with MS so far.
My old J360 developed pre-RROD symptoms (crashing, checkerboard GFX glitching)
and I did the x-clamp washer fix, letting the chip bake for a few mins to reflow the solder.
It's been running fine since then, but I gave that model to a friend and just bought a new slim J360 for my own use.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

If the new fan uses the same voltage you are probably okay.

If it uses more voltage, the console is a time bomb waiting to be banned.

That said, I believe the bans are not automated. I suspect human makes the decision whether or not to ban, examining flagged consoles and either banning them or giving them a pass at least until the next banwave.
Last edited by zaphod on Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

Trevor spencer wrote:Yeah mines a release JP model so to be fair its done well to last this long

Thanks
I think Rancor can get you one
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)