Xbox 360: Akai Katana Shin (May 2011)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Special World

Re: Xbox 360: Akai Katana Shin (May 2011)

Post by Special World »

O. Van Bruce wrote:just to confirm, why this game (arcade PCB) didn't sell enough?
From what I've heard, it was easy to reach the scoring ceiling in the arcade version, thus people didn't really stick with the game.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

Yep, their attempt at making an entry-level scoring shmup to expand the fanbase backfired, and it was probably all the proof they needed that non-smartphone shmups are no longer marketable.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Special World wrote:
O. Van Bruce wrote:just to confirm, why this game (arcade PCB) didn't sell enough?
From what I've heard, it was easy to reach the scoring ceiling in the arcade version, thus people didn't really stick with the game.
That didn't seem to stop Espgaluda. The bigger problem is that the game was clearly rushed and in need of a version 1.5, which basically came in the form of its console port. And all of that unnecessary slowdown couldn't have helped.
O. Van Bruce
Location: On an alternate dimension... filled with bullets and moon runes...

Post by O. Van Bruce »

how well did the 360 port sell?

I've been thinking the other day... that maybe the game wasn't a success due to portraying some left-wing pacifist (COMMIES) trying to overthrow the sacred emperor and stop him in his rightful and natural plan of bringing NIPPON to dominate every nation... you know, the huge chauvinism in japanese society...
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

O. Van Bruce wrote:how well did the 360 port sell?

I've been thinking the other day... that maybe the game wasn't a success due to portraying some left-wing pacifist (COMMIES) trying to overthrow the sacred emperor and stop him in his rightful and natural plan of bringing NIPPON to dominate every nation... you know, the huge chauvinism in japanese society...
I know it really can't be trusted but vgchartz says it sold 12000 http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-da ... tana-shin/
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
O. Van Bruce
Location: On an alternate dimension... filled with bullets and moon runes...

Post by O. Van Bruce »

AntiFritz wrote:

I know it really can't be trusted but vgchartz says it sold 12000 http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-da ... tana-shin/
And those are good or bad numbers?
Special World

Post by Special World »

For what reason are you asking? If you haven't picked up the game yet and are wondering if it's worth your time, it's a very good title.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

O. Van Bruce wrote:
AntiFritz wrote:

And those are good or bad numbers?
For a shmup, its not too bad i guess but for example according to vgchartz deathsmiles sold close to 200 000 worldwide (47 000 in japan).
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

The impression I had from rancor's translation of AK CAVE interview is that the arcade version was a bit of a rush job. Some features that are in the XBOX version didnt make it in the arcade original. I havnt played either version but to me the xbox version seems to be the definative version

Plus if you think about it there isnt that many shmups RSG can localise, given so many of the best examples are region free or like in Raiden Fighters Aces and the 5pB CAVE games in limbo
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

http://www.risingstargames.com/games/ak ... x-360.html

Looks like their keeping the original name too.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Was this ever confirmed region free?

I know it's probably the 80th time this has been asked.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Special World wrote:Was this ever confirmed region free?

It won't be region free, it might be able to be played on us consoles though.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Anyone know if the 4:3 zoom bug's been fixed?
Special World

Post by Special World »

AntiFritz wrote:
Special World wrote:Was this ever confirmed region free?

It won't be region free, it might be able to be played on us consoles though.
Well, that's what I meant. I guess nothing's confirmed, then.
Casper<3

Post by Casper<3 »

The game is so awesome and I love the artwork for it.
Barrakketh

Post by Barrakketh »

Casper<3 wrote:The game is so awesome and I love the artwork for it.
I <3 the arranged soundtrack. Stage 3 in particular is a huge improvement over the original.

RIP Ryu Umemoto.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Most of the focus is currently on the upcoming US/PAL versions, but for anyone still interested in picking up the Japanese release there'll be a cheaper reprint coming in mid-June.
1up

Post by 1up »

Went to amazon.co.uk today to preorder and the price has dropped to £20.77
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BulletMagnet wrote:Most of the focus is currently on the upcoming US/PAL versions, but for anyone still interested in picking up the Japanese release there'll be a cheaper reprint coming in mid-June.
But perhaps not with 4:3 screen fixes.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Enemy

Post by Enemy »

Just got my copy in the post this morning, should be working (I work from home) but had to fire it up. Really liking this one a lot. Just got to get my head around the scoring system.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

I hope everyone will make concerted effort to learn Shin (it is the name of the game after all.)
Once you get your head around its scoring there's really no looking back. Arcade mode is a good, but Shin makes it kind of dull.

Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Why bother.... this games best modes are 16x9.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Played this a bit earlier today. It's great fun, so far! Everything's just starting to click for me - collecting steel and unloading a bunch of katanas into a big enemy is really satisfying. I need to work on my timing, though; I've wasted katanas because I switched back out of Phantom mode before they were actually readied, heh.

You can tell it's not out in the US yet - I was 8th on the leaderboard after a couple of goes. That's not right. :lol:
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Strider77 wrote:
That's probably true, although no one's going to turn their nose up at an HD arcade port in the proper dimensions for playing on cabs. :wink:

TonK

Post by TonK »

Shin mode is awesome. I think I'm gonna pick it up again. Shin mode on my plasma.

Who sells it in the U.S.?
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

TonK wrote:Shin mode is awesome. I think I'm gonna pick it up again. Shin mode on my plasma.

Who sells it in the U.S.?
I was able to preorder it from gamestop, but amazon has it too
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Is it better to be frequently throwing lots of small amounts of katanas around, or saving them up for the bigger targets? I got to the st5 boss that time, but my score's miniscule compared to the other folks who've done the same (190mil, or thereabouts). :P

Ed: ah, I'm watching some of Icarus' videos now, and getting a much better idea!
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Fri May 11, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Shin is awesome (my favorite mode), but don't sleep on arcade mode. When I first got the game, I only played Zetsu because I figured it was basically Akai Katana 1.5, but arcade has its own nuances that makes it really fun on its own.
Klatrymadon wrote:Is it better to be frequently throwing lots of small amounts of katanas around, or saving them up for the bigger targets? I got to the st5 boss that time, but my score's miniscule compared to the other folks who've done the same (190mil, or thereabouts). :P

(Stage 5 is excellent, btw!)
Depends on the situation, but generally speaking, large enemies are the ones that will give you the most score. Some enemies are invincible while they're entering the screen (e.g., the plane at the start of stage 3, giant turrets, tanks, and towers on stage 5), so you can really grind out tons of gold from them. Other times, you'll want to hang back and wait for the screen to be full of bullets and popcorn before letting your katanas go, so you can kill as many enemies as possible.

Also, keep in mind that chaining is important.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Good stuff. Thanks very much, mate!
Andypc

Post by Andypc »

Skykid wrote:
Strider77 wrote:
That's probably true, although no one's going to turn their nose up at an HD arcade port in the proper dimensions for playing on cabs. :wink:
Just got the Pal version and there is no 4:3 mode, unless I am missing something. :evil:
If you are playing on a 4:3 crt, then a 4:3 option is better than playing 16:9 on a 4:3 crt.