What is a shmup!!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
undamned

Re: What is a shmup!!

Post by undamned »

harrihaffi wrote:for shot em ups... I got cofused... twinstickshoters... And I not real... Is it just me... I find it wrong to call Astroids or mad tv shmups!
Someone wanna help this guy out?
The thread stickied at the top of this forum titled: 'Unofficial Shmup Glossary' wrote:Shmup: Short for “shoot-‘em-up.” Semi-official classification for video games in which a large amount of shooting is involved, and the gameplay is executed in a 2-dimensional style (though the graphical objects onscreen can be 3-D), and controlled strictly from a third-person perspective. Most shmups automatically scroll the background in a certain direction to create the impression of movement as the player progresses, and involve taking control of a plane or spacecraft (as such they are sometimes called “Space Shooters”), as well as collecting various power-ups,, but there are many, many exceptions to and variation on this. Though some use the term “shooter” by itself to refer to shmups (in Japan, in fact, shmups are usually called “Shooting Games,” or “STG’s” for short), this sometimes gets them confused with first-person shooters or light gun shooters.

Different gamers have vastly different hard-and-fast definitions of what a “shmup” technically is (or even whether the term “shmup” should be used at all), but the above covers most of the essentials. Players and/or fans of the genre are often called “shmuppers” or “shmup-o’s,” and gatherings of said aficionados together to compete or otherwise engage in “shmuppery” are sometimes called “shmupmeets,” or “shmeets” for short.
And for the #1 awesome post from a newer user:
Blackbird wrote:What is shmup!? Baby don't snipe me, don't snipe me, no mo'...
:D :!:
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Heartwork

Post by Heartwork »

Xoxak always talks about shmupsforum in his reviews, but I've never seen him post. Does he go by a different name on here or something?
FMK

Post by FMK »

undamned wrote: And for the #1 awesome post from a newer user:
Hmmm, there's still the poetic, enigmatic "1991" thread :lol:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 85&start=0
HEY POOR PLAYER!
undamned

Post by undamned »

FMK wrote:Hmmm, there's still the poetic, enigmatic "1991" thread :lol:
Well, I meant newer as in recent... but now that you bring that thread up... it's so clear now: harrihaffi == Darius11 :shock:
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

FMK wrote:
undamned wrote: And for the #1 awesome post from a newer user:
Hmmm, there's still the poetic, enigmatic "1991" thread :lol:
The thread ever. I like tacos . .
I was tempted to necropost over there but I'd probably get pwned, so I will just say right here that Fast Striker is the port ever. And Gunbird 2.
Heartwork wrote:Xoxak always talks about shmupsforum in his reviews, but I've never seen him post. Does he go by a different name on here or something?
Well, Xoxak and rob have never been seen in the same place at the same time. Coincidence? I think not . . :wink:
SWY: Games are just for fun
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

harrihaffi wrote:but then I got cofused

"No, harrihaffi, you are the shmupper."
And then harrihaffi was a loli.
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

harrihaffi wrote:R-type and Gladius are to complex
Please tell me you're trolling.
<trap15> I only pick high quality games
<trap15> I'm just pulling shit out of my ass tbh
TVG

Post by TVG »

This is a shump:
"In short, it comes down to spirit" - dodonpachi developper Kohyama.
harrihaffi

Post by harrihaffi »

CaptainRansom wrote:
To complex as in they have to specific element...They aren't real as basic as 1942 and xeivious...The powe-up system in Gradius does not exist in R-type and the forcer in R-type does not exist in Gradius...So these games can't really be used as a example for horizontal shmup, since this would confuse some people to think that every horizontal shoter is has a power up system like Gradius or a forcer like R-type. !942 and Xeivious doesn't really have that much of a trademark-move... So people could understand what a vertical shmup is without geting to confused. These games are therefore a allmost perfect exempel of the word shmup(as I use it)

Is there a horzontal version of 1942 and xeivious or do I need to turn my tv 90 degress...

MVHH
BarfHappy

Post by BarfHappy »

If you consider Xevious is still generic despite having ground shot, then i d say scramble is your hori equivalent.
st5ex0boss/st5ex0boss.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_appear.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_disp.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_move.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_anime.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_check.cpp

And there shall be TTLB... <3 Muwohohoho
harrihaffi

Post by harrihaffi »

BarfHappy wrote:If you consider Xevious is still generic despite having ground shot, then i d say scramble is your hori equivalent.
Yeah...you've got a point...so it's just 1942...

MVHH
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Oh heyyyyyyyy, down syndrome! Long time no see.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Too iliterats in won treat! Ahsom!
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Heartwork wrote:Xoxak always talks about shmupsforum in his reviews, but I've never seen him post. Does he go by a different name on here or something?
He posts as Skykid here.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
BIL

Post by BIL »

harrihaffi wrote:To complex as in they have to specific element...They aren't real as basic as 1942 and xeivious...
One of this genre's biggest strengths is the presence of myriad game systems and styles within the same no-nonsense template established by 1942 and Xevious. Play more, worry less.

By the way, 1942's looping maneuver is pretty much a "trademark move" for it and the next couple of games in the series.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Drum wrote:
He posts as Skykid here.
Lying bastard!

Don't let him fool you, xoxaks actual username is m3tall1ca.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

harrihaffi wrote:
CaptainRansom wrote:
To complex as in they have to specific element...They aren't real as basic as 1942 and xeivious...The powe-up system in Gradius does not exist in R-type and the forcer in R-type does not exist in Gradius...So these games can't really be used as a example for horizontal shmup, since this would confuse some people to think that every horizontal shoter is has a power up system like Gradius or a forcer like R-type. !942 and Xeivious doesn't really have that much of a trademark-move... So people could understand what a vertical shmup is without geting to confused. These games are therefore a allmost perfect exempel of the word shmup(as I use it)

Is there a horzontal version of 1942 and xeivious or do I need to turn my tv 90 degress...

MVHH
but 1942 has a charge shot, and that may confuse people into thinking all shmups have charge shots

If you want examples of Horizontal games, they are r-type and gradius. Its not confuseing anyone, a lot of games take after the power up system and the orb, like Parodius, Xexex, Last Hope, etc. If you want something similar to 1942 with no features to it like those, maybe try Sengoku Blade? Got a charge shot, and a bomb. One of the characters even flies closer to the screen during a bomb. Yay
Pa
Heartwork

Post by Heartwork »

Jockel wrote:
Drum wrote:
He posts as Skykid here.
Lying bastard!

I'm not THAT new here, you trolls.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Heartwork wrote:
Jockel wrote:
Drum wrote:
He posts as Skykid here.
Lying bastard!

I'm not THAT new here, you trolls.
You are looking for Rob - http://shmups.system11.org/memberlist.p ... ofile&u=53
harrihaffi

Post by harrihaffi »

dunpeal2064 wrote:
but 1942 has a charge shot, and that may confuse people into thinking all shmups have charge shots
What charge shot?

BIL wrote:
By the way, 1942's looping maneuver is pretty much a "trademark move" for it and the next couple of games in the series.
Yes there is the loop move but you can only use it like three times a stage! When I play I allmost never use it... And then there is the fact that Every vertical shmup that I.ve play has something like the loop unlease it has a ground attack like xevious and legendary wings...

But I guess this means I was wrong about r-type and Gradius because ever horzontal shmup seems to copy one of them and sometimes both...
I guess I got confused because the tradmark forcer and power up system stands out more than the loop and the ground attack...

MVHH
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

harrihaffi wrote:What charge shot?
I think he's talking about that garbage 1942 Joint Strike.
harrihaffi wrote:I was wrong about r-type and Gradius because ever horzontal shmup seems to copy one of them and sometimes both...
I don't want to sound obnoxious, but you need to play more games, seriously.
harrihaffi

Post by harrihaffi »

Kollision wrote:
harrihaffi wrote:I was wrong about r-type and Gradius because ever horzontal shmup seems to copy one of them and sometimes both...
Oh yeah the remake...Haven't played it...So you might have a point there :P
Play more games...

MVHH
BIL

Post by BIL »

harrihaffi wrote:Yes there is the loop move but you can only use it like three times a stage! When I play I allmost never use it... And then there is the fact that Every vertical shmup that I.ve play has something like the loop unlease it has a ground attack like xevious and legendary wings...
Psyvariar and Ikaruga don't have anything like 1942's loop, or ground attacks, and virtually no other shooters have their Buzz (not graze) or polarity mechanics. Yet you accept them. So yes, to answer your original question, you're wrong.

The vast majority of people here are going to regard bare-bones stuff like 1942 as the foundation on which more diverse shooters were built. You'd do well to read undamned's post, which is really the only reply this topic requires.
greg

Post by greg »

I liek 2 play teh shoter gamez 2. Harffharff, twinstickshoters r not shumps, nor is Astroids. Their arena shoters.

EDIT:
harrihaffi wrote:I find it wrong to call Astroids or mad tv shmups!
yeah i totally agree. most comedy skit shows in general are not shmups, now that I think about it...

MVHH
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

doctorx0079 wrote:
Well, Xoxak and rob have never been seen in the same place at the same time. Coincidence? I think not . . :wink:
I called it.
SWY: Games are just for fun
Dragoforce

Post by Dragoforce »

harrihaffi = The second coming of Shoesama?
Swedish shmup community - stgfan.com
Do not be afraid...
Hair

Post by Hair »

I already posted in this thread, but my post never showed up. Not the first time. Maybe it will pop up later. Whatever.

A shmup is any game that centers around dodging bullets with an on-screen avatar, while shooting enemies. That's it. Simple. Newer shooting genres, such as FPS and light gun games, have projectiles that are not dodgable because they move too fast, instantly, or are otherwise not visable. Everything from vert, hori, rail shooter, run-and-gun is a shmup in the general sense. It is a wide genre, and that is while sub genres exist. Shmups have many sub genres. Shmups used to be the only type of shooter (hence they were called shooters) but newer genres came along that involved shooting and new terms were created. Whether your avatar is a space ship, air plane, dude, or dragon doesn't change anything. Whether you scroll or not, jump or not, etc... it's still a shmup. Panzer Dragoon is a shmup, Robotron is a shmup, and Metal Slug is a shmup. Halo is not. Virtua Cop is not. Even Rez is not (you can't really dodge projectiles like in PD or Space Harrier). The line is pretty clear.

While some of the run and gun or rail shooters may be on the fringe of the genre, I still call them shmups. But I agree that the core of the genre are verts and horis of several different types.

There will always be games that blur the lines, or are hybrids.

I know the term STG (shooting game) is still common, but I find it too general. Isn't House of the Dead a shooting game? But it's not a shmup. Still love it though...
That's so Raiden
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

harrihaffi wrote:
Kollision wrote:
Oh yeah the remake...Haven't played it...So you might have a point there :P
Play more games...

MVHH
Whoops, maybe I was thinking of 1943? I could've sworn one of them had a hold-the-shot-button charge up shot. Maybe I just remember it wrong, haven't played the 194x games in a while.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Hair wrote:I already posted in this thread, but my post never showed up. Not the first time. Maybe it will pop up later. Whatever
Have you got it set up so you have to login every time you visit the forum rather then automatic repeat logins? Ive noticed that if you take a long time between starting a reply and submitting the comment then you can lose your post as it asks for you to re log back in

As for the definition of a shmup, I and many others define the woords shmup and shooter / shoot em up as different things, shoot em up, like adventure game or rpg are very broad genres which includes all boarderliners like FPS and rail shooters just like what your definition of a shmup is. I see a shmup though as just classic spaceship shooters (verts and horis)
BarfHappy

Post by BarfHappy »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:
Hair wrote:I already posted in this thread, but my post never showed up. Not the first time. Maybe it will pop up later. Whatever
Have you got it set up so you have to login every time you visit the forum rather then automatic repeat logins? Ive noticed that if you take a long time between starting a reply and submitting the comment then you can lose your post as it asks for you to re log back in
Imo the problem is that he clicked saved and not submit, his draft box must be full :p
st5ex0boss/st5ex0boss.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_appear.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_disp.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_move.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_anime.cpp, st5ex0boss/st5ex0b_check.cpp

And there shall be TTLB... <3 Muwohohoho