Retro console SCART RGB to Arcade Cabinet Multisync Monitor

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fagin

Retro console SCART RGB to Arcade Cabinet Multisync Monitor

Post by fagin »

I have been trying to sort this out with an off the shelf solution, that will suffice different retro consoles from RGB SCART to a VGA connect into a tri-sync arcade monitor.

How to get retro consoles with RGB SCART to work on a tri-sync monitor (direct connect) via vga to work with 15khz if available, without any picture degradiation (look as they should) or lag issues. :mrgreen:

Buy one of these:
SYNCBLASTER

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37141

This beauty will convert from SCART RGB to VGA. Has a built in sync splitter and video amp (comes with a psu to power the video amp if needed).

Buy one of these:
SCART COUPLER
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=28096

This will be used to connect your console RGB SCART to the SYNCBLASTER RGB SCART

Note: Since there is no audio breakout from this whole run of cables I made a Audio breakout cable from this box. Easy to do, just split the box open and wire in some phonos.

Connect everything up and away you go!!! :mrgreen:

I have tested the following consoles via RGB straight to the multi-sync monitor:

NEOGEO works fine and gives 15khz picture, requires psu plugged in for Video Amp on SYNCBLASTER
SNES works fine and gives 15khz picture, requires psu plugged in for Video Amp on SYNCBLASTER
TURBO GRAPHX 16 did not work as it could not sync.... must be the way this console has been RGB converted
GAMECUBE works fine and gives 480i picture as you would expect on a normal RGB CRT
XBOX works fine and gives 480i picture as you would expect on a normal RGB CRT
MEGADRIVE works fine and gives 15khz picture, requires psu plugged in for Video Amp on SYNCBLASTER
PS2 works fine and gives 480i (will do low-res 240p on software that supports it - SHMUP heaven with the PS1 games) picture as you would expect on a normal RGB CRT

Have not tested my N64 or SATURN but I don't expect any issues with those.

This has breathed a whole new life in to my retro consoles again.... CRT love for the old skool! :D Forget it being all about the "spine cards" for consoles.... it's about the "scanlines"! :mrgreen:

I hope this information is of use, as trying to find a solution you can buy off the shelf at a decent cost and fits many hats, is like trying to get an audience with the Pope!!!
ckong

Re: Retro console SCART RGB to Arcade Cabinet Multisync Monitor

Post by ckong »

fagin wrote: SYNCBLASTER

This beauty will convert from SCART RGB to VGA. Has a built in sync splitter and video amp (comes with a psu to power the video amp if needed).
That is an interesting cable. Will it also work the other way round? I mean could it convert a 15Khz signal coming from a PC (on which soft15khz is installed) to a RGB signal which will be the input for a Barco lowres monitor with a Scart input plug?

EDIT: never mind, I just noticed that the cable is GBP 68. At first I thought that it was GBP 8!! 9I need spectacle). The cable is too expensive for my taste.
antron

Post by antron »

That is a nice cable for folks who could/would never build their own lm1881 circuit.
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

Thanks for the info, fagin. I could use something like that, mainly for PS1 and Saturn.
Don't bomb. DON'T BOMB.
Damn! Should have bombed.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

What results do you get on a LCD monitor?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
elvis

Post by elvis »

fagin wrote:I have been trying to sort this out with an off the shelf solution, that will suffice different retro consoles from RGB SCART to a VGA connect into a tri-sync arcade monitor.

How to get retro consoles with RGB SCART to work on a tri-sync monitor (direct connect) via vga to work with 15khz if available, without any picture degradiation (look as they should) or lag issues. :mrgreen:

Buy one of these:
SYNCBLASTER

It sounds like you're confusing your terms.

VGA is an analogue video signal. DSUB15 is the connector commonly used to send VGA over, but the two aren't tied together (you can send a VGA signal over just about any wiring/plug setup you like, as long as there are enough available pins).

Are the devices above 21pin SCART to DSUB15 converters (sending only 15KHz RGB down the DSUB15 connector)? Or are they also 15KHz RGB to 31KHz RGB (VGA) line doublers?

There's no technical detail that I can see there.

Your tri-sync monitor will accept 15KHz native, so there's no reason for you to need a line doubler. CGA->VGA (15KHz->31KHz) upscaling/line-doubling is an unecessary processing overhead if your monitor takes 15KHz native, and all you need is a 21pin SCART-> 15pin DSUB physical connector.
antron

Post by antron »

neorichieb1971 wrote:What results do you get on a LCD monitor?
is there such thing as a 15kHz RGB LCD monitor? he does say it converts to VGA but I think he just means a DB15 connector with c-sync

edit:
this implies that there is no signal conversion, and by multi-sync he means supporting low res
fagin wrote: I have tested the following consoles via RGB straight to the multi-sync monitor:

NEOGEO works fine and gives 15khz picture, requires psu plugged in for Video Amp on SYNCBLASTER
SNES works fine and gives 15khz picture, requires psu plugged in for Video Amp on SYNCBLASTER
TURBO GRAPHX 16 did not work as it could not sync.... must be the way this console has been RGB converted
GAMECUBE works fine and gives 480i picture as you would expect on a normal RGB CRT
XBOX works fine and gives 480i picture as you would expect on a normal RGB CRT
MEGADRIVE works fine and gives 15khz picture, requires psu plugged in for Video Amp on SYNCBLASTER
PS2 works fine and gives 480i (will do low-res 240p on software that supports it - SHMUP heaven with the PS1 games) picture as you would expect on a normal RGB CRT
fagin

Post by fagin »

Ckong,
No it wont work the other way round.

NeorichieB1971,
The cable would not work (unless it is one of the very few that can except 15khz on the VGA port) on a LCD for the 15khz stuff as it won't be able to sync at that frequency for the VGA port.

Elvis,
Not intentionally confusing terms. Apologies if I have.

If you re-read with the context I am using the term "VGA Connect", as I am purely referring to the actual connection method (read plug) rather than the signal type. This solution is purely referring to connection to a multi-sync arcade monitor with a VGA "type" connection. This method would not work on a PC VGA monitor input as there is no line doubler circuit.

A straight through RGB SCART to 15pin DSUB lead will not work, as with these consoles you will need either a sync separator and/or video amp.... which this lead contains both.

Using this method ensures I can get my tri-syncs to accept a true 15khz signal from the console (if available), to provide me with the inherent scanlines that come with that signal on a CRT.

Hope this helps to explain it better.

Antron,
Yes the cable contains a LM1881 sync splitter, video amp and is provided with an external powersupply to power the video amp if needed.

15khz LCD's are available but they are like rocking horse shit. :D As (hopefully) better explained above and as you suggest, this method purely converts an RGB SCART plug to a 15pin DSUB connection. Does not convert anything apart from the sync. Effectively enables a tri-sync arcade monitor to be treated as an RGB enabled SCART socketed CRT TV.
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

Can you leave the external power plugged in all the time - switching it in and out depending on the system would get annoying.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

On my multisync monitors 15khz works via the jamma input. Viletims adapter works for scart, so really this has no benefit to me at the moment.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Zapf,
I have not done all inclusive testing on that front but it made no difference to the video amp being powered on a xbox (original) connection (which does not need the video amp), so I assume you could leave it in (on) all the time.

Neorichie,
That is the route I would of gone to be honest if I had JAMMA, but this is for connection to a NAOMI cab on JVS. However direct connect to the JAMMA would still not work for anything like PS2, as you need a different sync (remove sync on green) which this cable will cope with.
antron

Post by antron »

fagin wrote:However direct connect to the JAMMA would still not work for anything like PS2, as you need a different sync (remove sync on green) which this cable will cope with.
I think you mean get sync from c-video, as this is a low res cable. PS2 only does sync-on-green in progressive scan mode.
fagin

Post by fagin »

antron wrote:
fagin wrote:However direct connect to the JAMMA would still not work for anything like PS2, as you need a different sync (remove sync on green) which this cable will cope with.
I think you mean get sync from c-video, as this is a low res cable. PS2 only does sync-on-green in progressive scan mode.
Yes... apologies. I was thinking of something else when I made that statement. :oops:
viletim

Post by viletim »

fagin wrote:Zapf,
I have not done all inclusive testing on that front but it made no difference to the video amp being powered on a xbox (original) connection (which does not need the video amp), so I assume you could leave it in (on) all the time.
There's only a sync separator inside + voltage regulator. It gets power from an external supply or leaching power from the switching signal. That's the "sync amplifier". There's no video amplifier inside because it's completely unnecessary.
spl

Post by spl »

This looks perfectly like what I need for my XM29!

But JESUS CHRIST THE PRICE!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

67.99 POUND for a cable?!!? WITHOUT shipping overseas? Oh wait according to their site they WON'T ship overseas.

Anyone seen this sort of thing for cheaper or with overseas shipping?
elvis

Post by elvis »

fagin wrote: If you re-read with the context I am using the term "VGA Connect", as I am purely referring to the actual connection method (read plug) rather than the signal type. This solution is purely referring to connection to a multi-sync arcade monitor with a VGA "type" connection. This method would not work on a PC VGA monitor input as there is no line doubler circuit.

A straight through RGB SCART to 15pin DSUB lead will not work, as with these consoles you will need either a sync separator and/or video amp.... which this lead contains both.

Using this method ensures I can get my tri-syncs to accept a true 15khz signal from the console (if available), to provide me with the inherent scanlines that come with that signal on a CRT.
Ah OK, that makes sense.

You can usually get around the video amp problems with a 200uF cap + 75 ohm resistor combo on the R, G and B lines. For Sync, I'm lucky enough to have monitors that accept not only composite sync, but some even take composite video (doing the sync strip on the monitor chassis for me), which is great.

If you don't want to do your own soldering, viletim is selling his device again, which could work out for you:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 69&start=0
fagin

Post by fagin »

Viletim,
Ooops.... you are of course correct. Christ knows why I thought it had a video amp. I just read that it contained an amp and must of been looking at something else to do with a video amp.

SPL,
I had been in touch with Viletim and he is looking to release a cable such as the one shown here in about another month. :) I would of bought one of these cables from Tim, but I managed to track this cable down that was available now.

Elvis,
Vlietim's current board will not work on my Naomi tri-sync set-up. I have already asked tim about this. For Jamma stuff it certainly seems the way to go though. :)