Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
angryswede

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by angryswede »

Thamiel wrote:Just got one of those Lenkeng SCART to HDMI scalers to have a play with, currently running my modded PAL SNES into it. It goes "OK" when the system is running at 50hz but goes black and white with a lot of shimmering when I try 60hz. If I had to guess at the issue it would be the cable i'm using.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SNES-Super-N ... 53eb98207b

The picture on PAL is pretty nasty, colours are fine just the image itself is quite "rough". Was getting a better looking picture out of my SCART to YUV transcoder actually (aside from a "shimmering" which is caused by my TV treating the SNES signal as 480i?).

Sorry for the noobish questions, done a heap of reading about this but it's all a bit different when actually messing with it in person.
I have a pal snes cable from adapter_man without the rca breakout. It works as it should both in 50hz and Pal 60hz . I would rather suspect the Lenkeng.
clean gloves, dirty hands.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Can I improve the composite picture quality on the XRGB-3 by chaining a Kramer FC-10D, or is the comb filter in the xrgb as good as it gets?
The comb filter inside the XRGB-3 is as *bad* as it gets. This said, I don't know the Kramer....
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

nvm
bryan_c

Post by bryan_c »

angryswede wrote:Can I improve the composite picture quality on the XRGB-3 by chaining a Kramer FC-10D, or is the comb filter in the xrgb as good as it gets?
I actually recently ordered an FC-10D in the hopes of improving NES -> XRGB-3 picture quality, as RGB modding a NES is beyond my abilities. It was cheap enough that I won't be bummed if it doesn't help. Will post how it turns out once it arrives.

Speaking of the XRGB-3 + composite, make sure to try setting Options -> Y/C Filter to Low Pass. With the NES at least that setting means the difference between the picture being atrocious and being merely kinda bad.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Does anyone know where I can obtain a longer stick shaft for the ls-32 stick (non-jlf)? When I built my arcade stick controller, I realized the area left to hold the shaft is small. My hand is big so it's hard to grasp the stick ball.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

What is, in whoever's responding to this' opinion, the best Batrider board to seek.

Thanks!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The best region Batrider PCB to get, ideally, would be the original Japanese "B" version variant, but to save some $$$, it's best to buy an Korean variant PCB and just swap the region eprom to that of an JPN "B" version. Easy as pie. Hobbyroms.com site can burn the proper JPN Batrider "B" eprom for a small fee if it needed be.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Having cab issues.

I got my first pcb in, spent all day rotating the monitor.

So, I hook it up, flip the main power, flip the power inthe pcb bay, and nothing.

Am I missing something? It worked when it was delivered, and only moved 5 feet.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For dunpeal2064,

Does the monitor turn on but have a "black" colored screen?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:For dunpeal2064,

Does the monitor turn on but have a "black" colored screen?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
From what I can tell, the monitor is not turning on at all, but I may have not noticed that it turned on black. I do hear a soft hum from the black box with the power switch on it.

On that black box, there is nothing plugged into DC out 2, DC out 3, or AC out 12.somethingV

Should those all be not plugged in?

Checked it, the monitor is not turning on. Seems like the speakers are though, as I hear a small scratch when I boot the cab.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Ok, so an update on my issue with my new Astro II

Cab is getting power, speakers are getting power. I can hear the game running, insert coin, shoot, all that good stuff.

I am not getting anything on my monitor though. The seller tested it and it was working, and I was very careful in rotating the monitor, even had a buddy help me.

Is there a common, "This probably came unplugged"?

I'm missing console stuff already :lol:

EDIT: uploaded a terrible video, figure it may help my cause. More videos/pix can be taken if need be.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Sorry to hear Dunpeal... You can probably get a lot more help over at NeoGeo or Arcade Otaku.
I hope this gets worked out soon, you have some 19XX to play!
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

chempop wrote:Sorry to hear Dunpeal... You can probably get a lot more help over at NeoGeo or Arcade Otaku.
I hope this gets worked out soon, you have some 19XX to play!
yeah me too man, picked up a cool Vapor Trail pcb to have to play while I waited for that 19xx, its quite disheartening working on this cab business with no knowledge of what is what.

I'll try to post a thread over on AO and see if I can't get some help.
chempop

Post by chempop »

While your waiting, you should watch all of "varcadegames" YouTube channel. He basically has tutorials and info to turn anyone into clueless->expert in no time. You could even shoot him a message, I'm sure he would do anything to help.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

chempop wrote:While your waiting, you should watch all of "varcadegames" YouTube channel. He basically has tutorials and info to turn anyone into clueless->expert in no time. You could even shoot him a message, I'm sure he would do anything to help.
Thanks! I needed something like this. I posted up a thread over on AO, so while I wait I will go watch those.
bryan_c

Post by bryan_c »

angryswede wrote:Can I improve the composite picture quality on the XRGB-3 by chaining a Kramer FC-10D, or is the comb filter in the xrgb as good as it gets?
So my FC-10D arrived. Here's what I've found, compared to hooking up a frontloader NES via composite directly.

The good:
  • It's much sharper. The default XRGB-3 sharpness setting with the FC-10D is much sharper than when the sharpness setting is maxed out when the NES is directly connected. Though this is likely because the low-pass Y/C separation blurs the composite picture, which isn't needed for S-Video input from the FC-10D.
  • Colours are more vibrant.
The bad:
  • The picture occasionally drops out, sometimes accompanied by the green XRGB-3 input text (S IN 1 NTSC). I assume this means the XRGB-3 loses sync?
The ugly:
  • Doesn't improve the composite "shimmering" on moving/scrolling sprites/backgrounds. At all.
  • Very minor ringing. Not as bad as the ringing in DVDO Edge screenshots I've seen, but still present.
  • On certain regions of solid colour I can barely make out very faint jailbars.
  • Still doesn't look as nice as the screenshots of the Entech CVSI-1 on Fudo's site. Wish I could find one of those!
Because of the occasional sync loss I can't recommend use of a Kramer FC-10D with an XRGB-3. At least, not with a NES; I haven't tried it with anything else (no need). Maybe it'd be fine for RPGs though.

I assume the sync loss is that described at http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/XRGB ... in_B1_mode - "Several users have reported that this problem occurs when using S-Video inputs too, in this case there is no known fix. Note : There is no problem in B0 mode." Although I did experience it both B1 and B0; just less often in B0.

The sync loss happens most often on a screen transition from gameplay -> black screen -> gameplay. This is pretty easy to reproduce with Battle Kid, which goes to black between every screen. But it also lost sync once while playing Sky Shark (don't laugh, it was my first shmup :)) during normal gameplay without any flash or black screen. If anyone has newer information than the XRGB wiki on how to avoid S-Video sync loss, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I've got a $35 paperweight. :p Though maybe I'll try the FC-10D with a CRT...
SunJammer

Post by SunJammer »

does the Extron Andora use the same power supply as the Extron Emotia?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I think so, yes. I have the pinout of the Andora PSU somewhere on file. I'll check later on and post it.
antron

Post by antron »

dunpeal, what all did you disconnect while rotating? maybe the neck board isn't fully inserted on the tube? or the flyback came out (be careful with this one)?
ryu

Post by ryu »

does anyone know what exactly the av superimpose switch on the back of the pvm monitor models does?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

What options are there for getting a Saturn controller working on a PS3?
ryu

Post by ryu »

there's some presumably official usb saturn controllers that work on a ps3, like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn-Gre ... 1c258d3dd7

if you're lucky you can get them for far less money too. i got mine for about $18

the directional pad isn't the best on these though. pressing too hard left or right results on the pad recognizing an "up" input. that kind of sucks for fighting games.

maybe it's just my pad having this problem though
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

ryu wrote:does anyone know what exactly the av superimpose switch on the back of the pvm monitor models does?
From what I've been reading from this PVM-1271Q manual
When a Sony SMC-70 or SMC-70G microcomputer, a SMI-7073 superimposer and video equipment such as a video disc player are used together with this monitor, a picture from the microcomputer can be superimposed on a picture from the video equipment.
Basically allows someone to superimpose an image/video over another on the screen. I think it's used for timestamping and overlays, but don't take my words.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
ryu

Post by ryu »

weird. when i fiddled around with it back when i got my first pvm monitor, i think i had a little noise in the picture when i had superimpose switched to off.
mdsfx

Post by mdsfx »

If I have an NTSC-U and an NTSC-J xbox 360 console, can I swap a single hard drive between the two of them each time I play without issues? Could I have both NTSC-U and NTSC-J games installed on it at the same time?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

yes & yes.
mdsfx

Post by mdsfx »

Fudoh wrote:yes & yes.
Thanks!
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

beatsgo wrote:Does anyone know where I can obtain a longer stick shaft for the ls-32 stick (non-jlf)? When I built my arcade stick controller, I realized the area left to hold the shaft is small. My hand is big so it's hard to grasp the stick ball.
Search on eBay for "SEIMITSU SHAFT EXTENDER" and ye shall find.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

shmuppyLove wrote:
beatsgo wrote:Does anyone know where I can obtain a longer stick shaft for the ls-32 stick (non-jlf)? When I built my arcade stick controller, I realized the area left to hold the shaft is small. My hand is big so it's hard to grasp the stick ball.
Search on eBay for "SEIMITSU SHAFT EXTENDER" and ye shall find.
Thanks shmuppyLove, will be ordering this soon.
ryu wrote:weird. when i fiddled around with it back when i got my first pvm monitor, i think i had a little noise in the picture when i had superimpose switched to off.
Maybe it improves picture quality by superimposing deinterlaced frames over another to give a progressive look. As I said, don't take my words completely true. Anyone else who has a superimpose switch on their Sony PVM tv?
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Double post!

Anyone knows what type of power plug the extron super emotia Is and IIs use?
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden