BIOS bullshit

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Daigohji

BIOS bullshit

Post by Daigohji »

My PC started randomly freezing on startup a couple of months ago. It's infrequent, but enough to make me very worried. Normally it freezes while the motherboard's manufacturer splash screen is up, but today I managed to get it to switch the display to the POST screen before it froze. The result was the photo above. The obvious difference between the above screen and when I have a successful boot sequence is that it says "a la la la la la" where it should have the model of the ATAPI DVD drive. Nothing else is different or missing from that screen.

Any idea what the hell is wrong? I've had this PC for two years, and this is the first problem I've had with it.
kernow

Re: BIOS bullshit

Post by kernow »

Unplug the cdrom drive and see if it still does it.
akumajo

Post by akumajo »

ide cable, ide port or dvd drive is dead

try with another ide cable first
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Is your optical drive SATA or PATA (IDE)? If it's SATA, you could also try plugging it into a different port along with the above suggestions.
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

It's SATA. I'll try unplugging the DVD drive the next time it acts up,but I'm not sure if the mobo has a spare SATA port to try switching it to.

Thanks for the suggestions.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Oh, and I'm also going to throw out the suggest to run memtest86+ at your first opportunity, because bad RAM makes -everything- go bad, and often in unpredictable ways.