Are there any 2d/2.5d shmups on Xbox?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
petrolhead

Are there any 2d/2.5d shmups on Xbox?

Post by petrolhead »

I've had a look but can't find any in the UK(PAL).

Are there any out there? :?:
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

No shmups have been released in the UK. The closest you will get is the shmup mini games in Project Gotham 2 and GTA San Andreas.

The only shmups on the system are Psyvariar 2 and Shikigami No Shiro relased in Japan only.

Of course, if you get your XBOX modded then you can have every shmup released for MAME.
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

mmm.
Do you know anything about mod chips?

I could do with some info, please.

I have purchased an Xbox on Ebay but have found out from the seller that it has a mod chip and cannot be used online.

Can i remove the chip and return it to standard?

I could do with knowing this, i have the option to cancel the sale if i don't want it.
theevilfunkster

Nah, dont know much about XBOX modchips, still trying to get the funds to mod my XBOX.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

petrolhead wrote:I have purchased an Xbox on Ebay but have found out from the seller that it has a mod chip and cannot be used online.

Can i remove the chip and return it to standard?
If it's a fancy modern chip, some types let you temporarily turn it off using a special command (depending on the chip), to allow you to use the Xbox as normal for Xbox Live.

Also note, if the Xbox was ever accidentally connected to XBL with the chip on, then MS have certainly permanently banned the console's internal identifier number already, and the Xbox will not work on Xbox Live even if you get the chip removed/disabled.

If they say it "cannot be used online" then they either mean the Xbox has already been banned from Live, or the chip never supported disabling anyway.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Thank you for telling me that, i know nothing about Xbox.

It appears that the mod chip is a cheap one that can be removed, i'm just checking with owner that it has never been used online, ever, modded.

Do mod chips effect the hard drive in any way?
IF this xbox has never been online and has the chip removed, will any 'damage' already be done to the HDD?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Shikigami no Shiro 2 is on the xbox. Though it isn't worth buying one for that alone.

I'd suggest emulation is your best bet, considering most people who have modded xbox consoles use it for MAME, SNES and Megadrive games. There's not alot of games on the xbox that I even like, but it beats the hell out of buying the real thing.
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Elixir wrote:Shikigami no Shiro 2 is on the xbox. Though it isn't worth buying one for that alone.

I'd suggest emulation is your best bet, considering most people who have modded xbox consoles use it for MAME, SNES and Megadrive games. There's not alot of games on the xbox that I even like, but it beats the hell out of buying the real thing.

I already have PS2,GC,DC,PC and only want(now have) an Xbox for the better XBlive games/exclusives and any shmups that are available.
I have got most of the PAL shmup's available for PS2, these will last me years to come, so no problem if there's none available for Xbox.

I can use MAME or any other emulators on my PC, so i don't intend to use the xbox for anything other than official games.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

I really don't know why you purchased an xbox, when there's under 5 shmups available for it. If you already have shmups readily available and will last you for years to come, play them instead.
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

:roll:
I don't just play shmups, and the Xbox is the most powerfull console available, i like good graphics in games and there's loads of online games.
It only cost me £40, so, even if i don't like it, it has'nt cost a lot.
If i'm disappointed with it, i'll sell it on anyway.
:) :)
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Well, the PS2 has online capabilities too. As for xbox, I haven't managed to see any online games worthwhile, except for the possibility of Fable, Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike, Capcom vs. SNK 2, and... well, that's it.

If your xbox has been on live while modded, and is banned, there's always xlink kai. I don't use it myself, but it's apparently 1) Free and 2) Available to all games baring the "xbox live" logo. It doesn't matter whether your console is modded or not. It's more like a developer's haven, and where modded xbox users go for online entertainment.

Listen to me, I sound like I'm trying to sell one. :<
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

The seller has guarenteed me that it has not been online ever, so it's not been banned from XBlive.

Which is good news, and the console has had the mod removed and is back to standard configuration.

I sold a few GC games to pay for it anyway :)

Shopping list so far:-
Fable
Top Spin
Panzer Dragoon orta
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Did the xbox modchip have any addictions? Like xbox media center? Or dvd2xbox? If you wanted, you could stick the chip back in and link ot up to your computer via an ethernet crossover cable. That's what I did at least, and now it has Dvd2xbox.

I just rent games and download them. It's saved me over $500 in games so far. I don't think it's illegal either, as you're not making duplicate cds of the original copy. Though I wouldn't count on just that alone..
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Apparently it was just a cheap mod chip to allow you to use copied games, nothing more.

The seller has guarenteed me that nothing else has been done to the console or installed on the HD.

I quite like having the original games anyway..
theevilfunkster

Elixir wrote:Well, the PS2 has online capabilities too. As for xbox, I haven't managed to see any online games worthwhile, except for the possibility of Fable, Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike, Capcom vs. SNK 2, and... well, that's it.
Going a bit of topic now but there are loads of awesome XBOX Live games to be had. Halo 2s single player might be a bit weak but online its unrivaled. Then there's Unreal Championship 1 + 2, Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow + Chaos Theory, Doom 3, Rainbow Six 3, Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike, Capcom vs. SNK 2, Outrun 2, Project Gotham 2.......

Fable isn't playable online though.

I wish someone else would play Guilty Gear XX Reload :(
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Fable, even though it's not online, looks awesome.

I know that there are loads of fantastic XBlive games available, that's one of my main reasons for getting an Xbox.

The price of xbox360 is expected to be similar to the original xbox upon release.
£399 on release, £299 after a few weeks, and dropping after 6months or so, then there will be plenty of life in the Xbox yet.

Don't believe the crap about it being approx £160 (USA price), it'll cost a lot more in the UK.
theevilfunkster

petrolhead wrote:Fable, even though it's not online, looks awesome.

I know that there are loads of fantastic XBlive games available, that's one of my main reasons for getting an Xbox.

The price of xbox360 is expected to be similar to the original xbox upon release.
£399 on release, £299 after a few weeks, and dropping after 6months or so, then there will be plenty of life in the Xbox yet.

Don't believe the crap about it being approx £160 (USA price), it'll cost a lot more in the UK.
Fable is awesome!! And yep, I can't imagine XBOX360 bein any less than £299 over here. Why is it the UK always gets shitted on when it comes to prices?
Kamakazie

Post by Kamakazie »

theevilfunkster wrote: I wish someone else would play Guilty Gear XX Reload :(
I tried, the lag is unbearable! Even on the "EXCELLENT" connection servers there is about one second of lag that totally kills the game.

Oh, and modding your XBox yields more joy than just playing imports - you can stick emulators (ranging from Amiga to SNES to MAME to N64) on there and play the classics.