Super Emotia - P.Supply problems ...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ninja in USA

Super Emotia - P.Supply problems ...

Post by Ninja in USA »

Hi! I have bought an Extron Super Emotia, without power supply, so I searched info, on the power input pin out, and found the pin out in a topic of this forum

(http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... lit=emotia) (Thanks it290 for the pin out)

Code: Select all

RTN/GND             +5V
      -12V      +12V
         RTN/GND
Well, I did not have very clear if that pin out is for the din-5 in the emotia, or for the din-5 you have to solder ...
So, I decided to use a tester, to check continuity between pins of the din-5, if I found where the two pins that are using GND, I could solder without giving wrong voltages to the Emotia, but here started trouble.
I tested continuity and found that on the first pin (left, upper row pin) I got GND (ok, as it should be), but in the last pin (right, upper row pin) I got GND too, where it should be +5 v ...
I checked if the middle pin was GND, and it was, so I got three GND pins, no +5v volts.
I thought this was very strange, so I opened the emotia, to check if there was some crossing trace (between gnd and +5v line) but I did not find any damage in the board, what I saw, near the Din-5, that there were 4 ua7805c (voltage regulators), if my memory serves me right, those 4 ics, convert +12 to +5v ... (maybe a revision of the super emotia mainboard, that does not require, that you feed it with +5v?)
As an additional test, I have checked continuity in a 74HC04N (pin 14 is Vcc) but there wasn't continuity with GND, and those +5v came from one of the ua7805c ...

Ok, so after all this, I don't really what to do now, maybe I bought a "special" super emotia, with a different din-5 pin out? A broken emotia?
Should I feed it with +12 where it should be and pray not to kill it?
Ninja in USA

Re: Super Emotia - P.Supply problems ...

Post by Ninja in USA »

Well, I have desoldered the din-5 of the emotia, and now I'm checking continuity ... looks like +5v and gnd is crossing (maybe a dead IC?) somewhere, got to find where ...