CRT tvs that eat the side of the display

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
wariomona

CRT tvs that eat the side of the display

Post by wariomona »

So I finally tried playing my 360 on a tated crt today. It was great for Cave's games with all the display options. But I tried playing Triggerheart Exelica, and I cannot see a significant portion of the play area at the bottom of the screen. If I move down as far as possible I can only just see the top of Exelica's sprite. (I ran into so many bullets I couldn't even see!)
Does anyone know why this happens?
I don't think it's just this tv either, because even on other crt's I've had in the past, playing non-shmups in yoko, I would always seem to need to go into display options and move the screen around (which would still mean I can't see all of it)
Does anyone else find these things happening? Maybe it's the 360, or maybe I just can't seem to buy good tvs...
Endymion

Re: CRT tvs that eat the side of the display

Post by Endymion »

gray117

Post by gray117 »

aw...

but basically, yes, your crt will almost definately be cutting off a part of your picture in all games.

Geometry controls can help you config the screen... You will probably need to know how to access a hidden service menu to do this on a consumer tv.
ikaruga007

Post by ikaruga007 »

Are you using an RGB cable on that CRT?

If so, I would guess this is RGB shift (not sure if this is a commonly used name) that makes the image slightly shifted to the left, i.e. you loose part of the bottom when TATEd.

I've seen this on many CRTs. It usually can't be adjusted in the normal settings but maybe from the service menu.
Hewitson

Post by Hewitson »

Here is a sync shifter by viletim for the Megadrive. Might at least give you a starting point.

burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

wariomona wrote:So I finally tried playing my 360 on a tated crt today. It was great for Cave's games with all the display options. But I tried playing Triggerheart Exelica, and I cannot see a significant portion of the play area at the bottom of the screen. If I move down as far as possible I can only just see the top of Exelica's sprite. (I ran into so many bullets I couldn't even see!)
Does anyone know why this happens?
I don't think it's just this tv either, because even on other crt's I've had in the past, playing non-shmups in yoko, I would always seem to need to go into display options and move the screen around (which would still mean I can't see all of it)
Does anyone else find these things happening? Maybe it's the 360, or maybe I just can't seem to buy good tvs...
Yes, I have had to deal with this myself. Unfortunately consumer TV's do not come with all the geo controls that a arcade monitor has. The best you can do is probably find a hidden service menu which will let you shift the picture in the x or y directions.

Try this:
http://www.artofhacking.com/files/TVMODES.TXT

I used the info for my Panasonic and it worked like a charm.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)