Sturmwind - New DC Euroshmup by Duranik/redspotgames

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
mjclark
Banned User

Re: Sturmwind - New DC Euroshmup by Duranik/redspotgames

Post by mjclark »

stryc9 wrote:Something didn't look right from the trailer. The weapons do look weak, if I was a dev I'd make my guns stand out in a trailer, would'nt you?
Yeah in that trailer that ship's tragically underpowered and keeps reminding me of Soldner-X which isn't a good thing :D
But the graphics have that Naomi-style awesomeness so it would be good to see some hefty blasting weapons, tracking lasers and energy bombs for some rapidfire craziness!
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

I recently dusted off my Dreamcast, so this and Fast Striker both look quite tempting. :shock:

Looking at the trailer, I can see why people compare it to Soldner X, though. Still, if the music turns out be anywhere as good as SX, that might just sell me on it.
Elaphe

Post by Elaphe »

Nice graphics, but let's hope they don't spoil the fun with the typical euro-style playability.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Theres an interview with the devs in the upcoming retro gamer magazine issue 86, heres a preview of the mag http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkHKUyUF8uw
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

cool, anyone going to pick up that issue? Shipping is rather pricey for me.
=/
defected78

Post by defected78 »

These euro shmups have no character and a stagnant theme to them.

Back in the day no one would have bought these if they came out 10 - 15 years ago so why now.

And the thought that people are buying PCB's of these for serious money is astounding. People must be desperate for something new to play taking these flash games.
E. Randy Dupre

Post by E. Randy Dupre »

Oh, you've played it, then?
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

Ignore the troll and he'll probably just go back to gamefaqs.
=/
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

antares wrote:Is this the same Duranik that worked on the never released Native for the Atari Jaguar? If yes has it something to do with Native? Because the graphics design and gameplay look quite similar.
Back in August of 1998, Native was shown at the World of Atari '98 Expo (precursor to the famous yearly Classic Gaming Expo show) in Las Vegas...it was up & running on a developer's Jag console setup with a Jag flash cart loaded up. A guy from the Duranik team asked me if I wanted to try it out and I said sure. He hooked up a laptop with a serial cable to the dev Jag console and uploaded the demo complete with the awesome BGM tunes as well. It didn't take very long to upload it and simply pressed the "Start" button. My jaw just about dropped upon seeing the arcade-spec 60fps framerate and a very cool shmup game indeed. Tis a shame that no more additional stages were finished/completed. Unfortunately, the Native demo that was released on Jag CD disc format doesn't have the kick-ass BGM tunes to accompany it.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Hair

Post by Hair »

I preordered it. I wish it was a tad cheaper, but we'll see how good it is. If the game is great it will be worth it especially because it will have a physical disc and packaging/booklet, which is nicer than an XBL download that will leave you ownership when your Xbox stops working.

I think the DC is the perfect place to release this game. It's not the first posthomous shmup on the DC and it won't be the last. They are a niche, but they sell. XBL and PSN are more crowded with cheap DL games.

Not everyone has a DC, but if you are a shmup fan, you probably should have one. It's one of the best consoles of all time for arcade-style games, including it's great shmup library. Sturm Wind is a perfect fit for the Dreamcast demographic.

Edit: forgot to add that I think the bosses look really awesome, and that is a major draw for me to buy a hori.
Last edited by Hair on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
That's so Raiden
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

It looks great from the stills, but I want to see a trailer with a bit more meat on it before I put my pre-order down.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

This game is shaping up to be one of the most gorgeous looking shmups on the dreamcast.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

that stream was kinda brutal at times, but was cool anyway to see some of these games get some love. I like the changes to Sturmwind thus far.
=/
LeeVanCleef

Post by LeeVanCleef »

I found a video link for the episode with Sturmwind. They start playing Sturmwind at about 1:44:00 of part 1 and continue on through the first section of part 2.

Part 1:
http://www.justin.tv/destructoid/b/281638376

Part 2:
http://www.justin.tv/destructoid/b/281644790

I wish they would stop trying to be entertaining and be quite so we could here the BGM. The changes to the weapons are nice and it is good to see the game in action.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Thanks for the links, looking promising so far...though I had to mute the sound because of the retarded kid who just couldn't shut up.
@Kingbuzzo: clicking on your sig gives me a malware warning...using chrome.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

Necronom wrote:Thanks for the links, looking promising so far...though I had to mute the sound because of the retarded kid who just couldn't shut up.

Yeah, should take a few more hours before google removes that notification. Server was hacked a few days ago but is fine now.

Just finished the 2nd part. Dunno who the host is, but damn he needs to chill out. Is he drunk? I'm happy they did this, but how can they love these games when they have no idea how to play them?

some quotes...

"what's shinobi?"

"aren't all these shooting games 2 player?"

"Is this a generic ska band?" It's the OFFSPRING....

"we only have 2 controllers...."

"I don't understand chu chu rocket"

"sega's here! uh... we only have 2 cups..."

I think some of us need to show them how it's done ;)
Last edited by KBZ on Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
=/
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Kingbuzzo wrote:
Necronom wrote:Thanks for the links, looking promising so far...though I had to mute the sound because of the retarded kid who just couldn't shut up.
Yeah, should take a few more hours before google removes that notification. Server was hacked a few days ago but is fine now.
co.cc should be on everyone's noscript block list. Damn free DNS redirect services are evil.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Christ what drugs was that host smoking, I wanted to throttle him. Plus no-one could could work out how to fire backwards properly, how hard can it really be.

The game looks good although ill reserve judgement till I get to see another playthough one where theres no one talking shit over it.

FRom what I could tell the scenary doesnt kill you, which is a shame imo

EDIT: Oh thx for mentioning noscript, this FF extention looks really usefull :)
admith

Post by admith »

Preordered! It looks superb and I like euroshmups. :shock:
Can't wait to put my hands on this game.
ShmupSamurai

Post by ShmupSamurai »

I like a few euroshmups my self, and seeing as I still have a working DC...this could be worth looking up in the near futute. :D
Use Shumpman's advice!

"USE A BOMB!"
admith

Post by admith »

Any news about estimated release date?
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

I saw on a preorder website that it won't be released before th end of the second quarter of 2011.

This game looks beautiful. Too bad it reminds me of Soldner-X, which is a cool game, but pretty boring and the weapons are so pitiful (Soldner-X2 is an improvement, but still lacking). I'll still get this anyway because it looks pretty sweet.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
moonblood

Post by moonblood »

Release date is now 11-11-11...

http://sturmwind.duranik.com/order.htm
Pyongyang

Post by Pyongyang »

Pre-ordered my copy this week, the game looks fantastic!
--
Blog: Pink Bullets / YouTube: StuffiWrote / VGMdb: Pyongyang

Image Image
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

I've preordered this game through Redspotgames back in 6th December 2010- they seem to have no record of my preorder- yet I have a Paypal account showing a transaction to them on 6th December 2010.

I've emailed them and had a responce saying that they have no record of my preorder- anyone else had any problems with Redspotgames?
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
rancor

Post by rancor »

If you have the paypal transaction details then that's fairly indisputable unless you sent money to the wrong address. Give them the transaction number and they'll be able to pull up the payment easily enough. Assuming you sent the money to the right people I'd say there's nothing really to worry about.
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

Cheers- I've just emailed the transaction ID for the preorder- hopefully that will sort out the problem.

I'll post back if I have any more problems -- and if there is a resolution.
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

Two emails and no reply..... not impressed
E. Randy Dupre

Post by E. Randy Dupre »

I had some weirdness with the site when I ordered Wind & Water from them a while ago. Can't remember exactly what the problem was, but it meant I couldn't tell if the site had properly accepted my order or not. Emailed them about it and did get a friendly, helpful response, but it took a few days, iirc.