PS2 60hz issue.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
STG~PASI

PS2 60hz issue.

Post by STG~PASI »

I'm having an issue playing games in 60hz on my PS2.
It seems that even though my TV does support NTSC/60hz, I'm getting a black & white picture. All my other consoles look fine with 60hz, so the problem isnt in my TV.

Can anyone help? Sucks playing Gradius V B&W.

Thank you !
"Use a bomb when it comes to a pinch. It is wasteful to die before using bomb."
Fudoh

Re: PS2 60hz issue.

Post by Fudoh »

Are you using a PAL PS2 ? The PS2 outputs an unusable mix of PAL and NTSC when forced to output 60Hz. You need to use a proper RGB cable to solve this problem.
STG~PASI

Post by STG~PASI »

Yep its PAL, but I already tried it with a cable I use on my PS which puts out 60hz just fine :?
Sparda

Post by Sparda »

Even if your TV support 60hz, it happens that only one input can handle RGB/60hz...so try different ones
STG~PASI

Post by STG~PASI »

Sparda wrote:Even if your TV support 60hz, it happens that only one input can handle RGB/60hz...so try different ones
? Different Televisions, different cables ? :)
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

He's referring to the scart sockets on your tv - if there are are several of them, it's possible that only one of them actually supports RGB.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
STG~PASI

Post by STG~PASI »

Only one SCART socket, I'm playing through one of them selector/hub thingies.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

What tv exactly is it? ... it's probably going to be your tv if the picture is black and white...

HOWEVER, Does the ps2 play dvds normally? - unless you're using a proper sony rgb scart cable dvds will play green [note rgb scart NOT av composite scart] - I never know how it did this, but perhaps it's a similar trick/sensitivity with which your tv won't cooperate with until you have a sony cable?

[I've never had this issue myself - and it never had any effect on games with a non sony rgb scart cable for me, but you never know - I do know my brother had a gooodmans tv that won't play his jap ps2 in colour back in the day, but did play dreamcast 60hz in color - I never knew about the cable thing back then...]
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

How about you post a picture of the cable?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

It seems like you're playing in composite, not RGB. You either need an RGB SCART cable or you need a selector that supports RGB SCART through each socket - Or you're using a non-RGB SCART input on your TV. Most CRTs only had one SCART input wired for RGB.
STG~PASI

Post by STG~PASI »

Got it working now, RGB SCART did the trick, thank you for the help everyone !

Holy shitbiscuit the image is good.
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

[quote="gray117"]What tv exactly is it? ... it's probably going to be your tv if the picture is black and white...

HOWEVER, Does the ps2 play dvds normally? - unless you're using a proper sony rgb scart cable dvds will play green [note rgb scart NOT av composite scart] - I never know how it did this, but perhaps it's a similar trick/sensitivity with which your tv won't cooperate with until you have a sony cable?[quote]

Doesn't matter about the branding, my official PS2 SCART cable still has the green. It's some kind of glitch in the firmware - fixed it later versions I believe.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Green image when playing DVDs on a PS2 with RGB scart is not a glitch or a bug - it's a feature. It was Sony's attempt to stop people from copying their DVDs. More info available here if you're curious.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos