Display Settings On LCD TV help required

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Hibachi

Display Settings On LCD TV help required

Post by Hibachi »

I have most of the STG's for the Xbox 360 as also have a JP console too but wanted to know if there is a specific thread dedicated to where I can find optimum settings for each game.

I have an 42" LCD that I use in YOKO so wanted advice on filter settings, overscan etc so as to have them set up correctly.

Having not experienced many of the games in PCB form and if so, very little this would be very handy.

Many thanks.
Live Fast Die Ugly

Xbox Gamertag: Gunstar Hero 10
gray117

Re: Display Settings On LCD TV help required

Post by gray117 »

It varies per game; with many having unique options/setups. This is usually to be found in the game's own thread in the chat section of the site and if you can plumb the pages it's often much discussed in the thread just after a game's release; also note the best crt setup is not necessarily the best lcd setup but may give you a means for comparison.

Very vaguely you want to try and stick to clear multiples of the source material, but this can vary depending on how your tv actually displays the picture anyway; let alone the old issue of personal taste.

In general the best thing to actually start with is to explore your tv. There's no point working out how to get a game looking good via component only to discover immediately better results on another input/settings. Equally you might find trade-offs; better picture with lag, less lag with a worse picture.

You may want to see if you can setup your tv to reduce lag, or get the best color balance, or picture sharpness... For example, is there a game mode [which generally turns off/simplifies post processing on your picture], or conversely are there specific film modes turned on [which can generally add post processing/delays]. You *might* find your tv accepts and displays different resolutions in different manners depending on the input being used - for example some users find vga results in less lag/processing than others; particularly when upscaling a resolution - but this really does vary per tv. You will probably also find different inputs have different options available to them; sometimes gamemode is only available on a specific socket etc etc.

Best advice is to suck it and see :) A 360 can be a good tool to test this on because of it's wide range of display modes, and cabling options.

If you ever want to get 'into it' I always point users to fudoh's excellent site [perhaps you already know it?] which may help inform your solutions/tastes/expectations: http://www.hazard-city.de/
Hibachi

Post by Hibachi »

Thank you very much indeed for the help and I am going to check the Hazard City site now.

Looks like I have some homework to do. :D
Live Fast Die Ugly

Xbox Gamertag: Gunstar Hero 10
darklegion

Post by darklegion »

As a general rule : OFF, OFF, OFF!

Turn off 100hz/120hz, turn off noise filters, turn sharpness down to a minimum. If the TV has a "True Cinema" mode or similar (which sets colour relatively correctly) then use it. If the TV varies the backlight based on light settings, turn it off. Depending on the TV, you might want to enable Game mode to reduce input lag, but not all TVs will have reduced input lag with Game mode enabled.

Of course this all varies from TV to TV, but generally most of the software based attempts to make the picture look better fall flat on their face.
Endymion

Post by Endymion »

They do what they're supposed to do--it's just that they weren't meant to do it for computer graphics and video games. All of that stuff is made to work with video broadcasts and it can improve the image quite a bit, particularly for older video sources. For computer made video however it's just the wrong way to go.
darklegion

Post by darklegion »

Endymion wrote:They do what they're supposed to do--it's just that they weren't meant to do it for computer graphics and video games. All of that stuff is made to work with video broadcasts and it can improve the image quite a bit, particularly for older video sources. For computer made video however it's just the wrong way to go.
Sometimes, but honestly I feel that most of these settings aren't even useful for video, even SD video. It's a matter of taste, and some implementations of these filters are better than others. Personally I feel like they are only implemented for marketing reasons, or as failed attempts to fix the unfixable (or fix what doesn't need to be fixed).