How good are you at bombs?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

how often do you die with at least 1 bomb in reserve (as in, forgot to use them appropriately)

100% of the time
39%
75% of the time
50%
50% of the time
8%
25% of the time
3%

Total votes: 36

dpful

How good are you at bombs?

Post by dpful »

I always get high scores when I use my bombs.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i have no clue how to use bombs effectively. i constantly misjudge my ability to dodge. i would say in total i die with bombs in stock approx. 85% percent of the time.
I have no sig whatsoever.
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

If I'm playing Gunbird 1 or 2, I usually die with one or two in stock...I'm totally all about bomb hoarding in Psikyo games for some reason. Most other games I play I don't usually die with bombs...I'm odd.
now tighter than your sister
it290

Post by it290 »

I'm terrible with bombs when it comes to DDP, just because you get reamed so badly for using them. I'm also really bad w/bomb usage in Shiki 2, because I always die when I don't expect to.
The Bullet Dodger

Post by The Bullet Dodger »

crithit5000 wrote:If I'm playing Gunbird 1 or 2, I usually die with one or two in stock...I'm totally all about bomb hoarding in Psikyo games for some reason.

Same here. I bomb like crazy in Psikyo shmups, because most of the time the bullets are really fast and hard to dodge. I guess I panic to much in 'Gunbird 2' and 'Strikers 1945 II'.

If it's a manic shmup like 'Mars Matrix', 'DDP' or 'Giga Wing' (1 or 2), then I'm pretty confident about my dodging skills while getting through the levels. So I usually have bombs in stock whenever I die. However, if it's the final boss, I'll most likely get hit after using my last bomb.

I'd say 75% most of time.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

I bomb like crazy in manic shmups, because most of the time the bullets are really fast and hard to dodge. I guess I panic to much.

Edited BulletDodger's post

This would fit me

btw I hope I wont get sued for copyright infringment BulletDodger :lol:
My Trying Not To
The Bullet Dodger

Post by The Bullet Dodger »

Hey, to each his own. :)
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

The Bullet Dodger wrote:Hey, to each his own. :)
and to own his each and all that or something :)
My Trying Not To
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I've been getting better, but I still tend to die at least once or twice with a bomb or two left over. I used to do nothing but hoard em'... but my number of 1CCs and high scores both went up after I started actually using them. Bomb away I say!
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

There is a tension in me. I'm pulled in two different directions:
1. I love to get by without bombs.
2. I hate to die with bombs left.
The result of this interplay is sometimes nice, but usually pathetic.
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

:evil: - I hate dying with bombs left in reserver.
Fight Like A Robot!
landshark

Post by landshark »

I need a "90%" option.

And a "90% with 3 or more" option.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I tend to be horrible when it comes to hoarding on some games...sometimes I'll lose all my lives without bombing once. Somewhere in the back of my head I hope that this will eventually make me better at dodging so I won't need bombs as much, but it's pretty much a pipe dream, heh.
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

Bad. Very bad.
FULL LOCK is BOMB
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

BulletMagnet wrote:I tend to be horrible when it comes to hoarding on some games...sometimes I'll lose all my lives without bombing once. Somewhere in the back of my head I hope that this will eventually make me better at dodging so I won't need bombs as much, but it's pretty much a pipe dream, heh.
That's what I tend to think as well... "Hey, that guy on the DDP:DOJ superplay doesn't need bombs! Why should I!?!" ... of course, I'm -not- that guy :lol: .
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Cthulhu wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:I tend to be horrible when it comes to hoarding on some games...sometimes I'll lose all my lives without bombing once. Somewhere in the back of my head I hope that this will eventually make me better at dodging so I won't need bombs as much, but it's pretty much a pipe dream, heh.
That's what I tend to think as well... "Hey, that guy on the DDP:DOJ superplay doesn't need bombs! Why should I!?!" ... of course, I'm -not- that guy :lol: .
I've been having these same thoughts the past few days while playing DDP. I know I'd get a lot farther into the game if I learn how/when to bomb correctly. This is something a newbie doesn't learn if they are first exposed to a game via superplays. :cry:
Marc

Post by Marc »

Agreed. Watching superplays and the like, even unlockable tutorials, it's the mindset that 'If someone else can do it, then so can I' that gets me in the shit. But of course, these players are bad invisible ninja-style motherfuckers, and I suck. It's not gonna happen.

DDP is my main bugbear. Once I hit round three, I'm not good enough to be dying with a full stock. But I do, constantly.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Sometimes I manage to convince myself that "I'm gonna use bombs this time!" and I do alright. Other times... I die. And then I use bombs... d'oh!
popawell

Post by popawell »

I suck at bombing in general. In 19XX, I charge up a bomb, then get blasted before I release it. It always seems that bosses spew more led if you charge them.
"There is always an exception to every rule."
shiftace

Post by shiftace »

Bombs are for the weak!

... and for those who want to succeed at anything.
"Can they really get inside my head?"
"As long as you keep an open mind."
dpful

Post by dpful »

sometimes I'll throw in a "revenge bomb"