New Scanline generator SLG3000 - available now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
rugdoctor

Re: New Scanline generator SLG3000 - available now!

Post by rugdoctor »

fagin wrote:
rugdoctor wrote:Or grew up listening to CDs or vinyls?
If you don't know what "reel to reel" is then you're WAY TOO YOUNG! :mrgreen:
Reminds me of the c64 cassette loading days...oh I miss flicking out the decapitation move on conan..Hmmm...kind of thinking of it, was scanlines that noticable in the pre-Amiga, c64 and bbc acorn (boulderdash yeah! Computer of choice at our catholic school back in '88) days on dedicated monitors if there is such a thing?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

yes, they were. But many of the older systems were connected through composite connections, so you would end up with more noticeable artefacts (color bleed, dot crawl...) than scanlines.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

oh I miss flicking out the decapitation move on conan
showed Barbarian to my GF on one of modded C64DTV and guess what happend ;) she ripp off my head on the very first game ;)

This neat device Minimig has a built-in scanline option imho. A500 and higher models had an dsub23 connector which outputs RGB PAL (http://pinouts.ru/all/AmigaVideo_pinout.shtml

I`m still using an old amiga monitor for my arcade pcb test rigs.

Anyway, the pre-amiga decade is like Fudoh said.
venchia3

Post by venchia3 »

Hello,

I would like to ask you something about SLG3000 and an LCD TV I would like to purchase. The model is a Samsung LW20M21C, that is basically an EDTV with a maximum resolution of 640x480 @60hz (to be precise 59.940hz :P ). My question is (kept in mind that all depends from tv to tv model, so it cannot be said for sure), this could be an ideal monitor/tv for running the chain SLG3000/Sync Strike/Scaler + PS2 on?

I would take this since it's a 4:3 EDTV 480p and in theory there will be not much of a resolution scaling, am I right? Or there are better options concerning LCD? (I have a CRT sony trinitron but I need an LCD as a matter of space in my home :)

Sorry for my english and great work to all your community :D
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Should be fine. There's isn't much of a difference between playing in native res and scaling to a 1080p display. You're losing a bit of quality, since the PS2's output is 720x480 while your display is only 640x480, but I wouldn't worry about this...
venchia3

Post by venchia3 »

Thanks for your reply! Really appreciated! Cheers from Italy :)
g0ldenchild562

Post by g0ldenchild562 »

I just bought for my Ps3 to play Street fighter III Online edition. I bought this cable from Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Wii-PS3-VGA-HDTV- ... 822&sr=8-1

It's not working like it should. I set my ps3 to display 430p and the scanlines are not coming out. The SLG3000 red light comes on, When i set the S4 and S5 dipswitch to off. It kinda works, but when i increase the intensity, it just get really really bright. Is this defective?
Last edited by g0ldenchild562 on Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say using a cable like that probably doesn't provide the SLG3000 enough power to function... the PS3 doesn't officially support VGA output.

That said, if you're doing this just for 3rd Strike, shouldn't the game's own filtering options be enough? I'm pretty sure there's a display mode that adds scanlines.
g0ldenchild562

Post by g0ldenchild562 »

Street fighter III: Online Edition does have scanline option, but it's sooooooooooooooooo ugly.

This guy posted this on youtube for Xbox360. Mines doesnt even comes close to this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rLAYE6AuKM
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Or the PS3 VGA cable does not provide the proper sync polarity. Seems more likely to me. I would recommend to return the cable and buy a HDBoxPro clone from Monoprice instead. That's a proper component to VGA converter and it works fine with the SLG3000. Pricing was around $35.
g0ldenchild562

Post by g0ldenchild562 »

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

exactly. If you feed 480p via component and set the output to 480p as well, it just acts as a trancoder. And as stated here http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... &start=330 recently (scroll down), it works lagfree in transcoding mode.
g0ldenchild562

Post by g0ldenchild562 »

One more thing,

Video in = coming from the console?

Video out = going into the TV?
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

yessss...
g0ldenchild562

Post by g0ldenchild562 »

Fudoh have you tested the SLG3000 + HDBOXPRO + PS3?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

No, but PS2 + HDBox + SLG3000. Should be the same once you set the PS3 to 480p....
g0ldenchild562

Post by g0ldenchild562 »

Cool, my hdboxpro clone should cone in today or tomorrow. Ill report in once I tested it.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Benaco74, will you be producing an all in one board that has the SLG3000 + Sync Strike + CGA2VGA Scaler on the same board???
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Benaco74, will you be producing an all in one board that has the SLG3000 + Sync Strike + CGA2VGA Scaler on the same board???
No, but currently I`m working on a new kind of project. It has this features:

- Scart in
- Scart out
- Scanline Intensity Adjust
- Scanlines on / off
- Status LED

It was tested with MegaDrive, Wii, SNES and such. Don't expect same quality of result like the DIY scaler chain with VGA and Scanlines.

But it`s easy to use and more cheaper.

Prototypes are done. My supplier is short on some ICs, so collecting all the parts together will be last at least 3-4weeks... But I`m confident that I`m able to post some result earlier. Current working name is SLG SCART. I`m open for more sophisticated ideas.

What do you guys think about this?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Whoa, isn't that an abomination of the scanline idea ?

The device has to work on a "per field" basis, so can't get more than 120/144 scanlines per NTSC/PAL field (=15khz frame), which means that you don't get a scanline per active pixel, but only a scanline on every 2nd line of source pixels, right ? I wouldn't really call this scanlines, more a bunch of black lines ;)

You will also run into very weird effects depending on the deinterlacing process taking part after the device.

Have you tested the device on a "240p on 480i carrier" signal ? You would have to alternate the darkened pixel lines on every field in order to avoid jitter caused by the field alternation.

Who had the idea ?
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

Fudoh wrote:Whoa, isn't that an abomination of the scanline idea ?
The idea was realized in german forum (circuit-boards). Motivation was to get as cheap as possible black lines somehow. As you said, this project has nothing to do with serious scanline emulation. Aim here is to have a quick and cheap solution, which ends in quality not comparable to VGA and SLG3000.
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

Is that similar to what toodles is doing or is he just trying to remake the slg 3000 (I'm not sure why people are so excited over that and not the slg if thats the case...)
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

No, toodles is just trying to copy Sync Strike and SLG. Take care, it seems that he does shortens the RGB adjustment to GND without proper protection. Do your 1000$ TV equipment a favour and wait if his stuff is working. ;)
(I'm not sure why people are so excited over that and not the slg if thats the case...)
no comment
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

I mean I know why but its dumb. I like the cthulhu and other controller boards he has been doing but when people make hype threads over shit they didn't even know they wanted because he said he was gonna make a version is dumb.

fanboys are awful people :|
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

So I gave the project SLG Scart a chance.

- Scart in
- Scart out
- PSU Jack
- Scanlines on / off switch
- Scanlines intensity adjustement via knob
- LED on / off
- 4 pcs Mounting holes M4

Pics in action

http://bencao74.blogspot.com/2011/10/sl ... -shop.html

The project is called SLG Scart. It gives just some dark lines to RGB SCART consoles without any need of additional scaler or sync stripper. It`s easy to install and to configure.

Installation:
- Step 1 : Connect it inbetween Your RGB Scart Console and your LCD with Scart input.
- Step 2 : Plug in Power Supply Unit
That's all. Turn on and off the lines, adjust the lines level, just as you want.

DO NOT EXPECT A QUALITY LIKE SLG3000. It will not sharpen your picture by reducing the interlacing effect. It´s just some dark lines effect laid over a RGB SCART picture.

The main goal is to offer a cheap and simple to install fun product.
Guiile3dfX

Post by Guiile3dfX »

great news ... But you can not make one that has component video output (RGB YPBR)? For my TV has no SCART input ... :?:
Great!!!!!! slg 3000..the very best old games in lcd!!!!!
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

No, toodles is just trying to copy Sync Strike and SLG. Take care, it seems that he does shortens the RGB adjustment to GND without proper protection. Do your 1000$ TV equipment a favour and wait if his stuff is working.

Quote:
(I'm not sure why people are so excited over that and not the slg if thats the case...)

no comment
I went to his thread.. admittedly to give my tip of the hat to your product and links to the SLG3000. I wasn't HATEFUL about it and got reprimanded. SRK is so odd.... so many shit storms or misinformation and flaming and I get a slap on the wrist for that.

Anyways thought I'd share some tabloid reading for the toilet.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

ouch, some heavy words there. Never thought that the guys are so sensible out there. It`s just a copycat. Okay, it`s perhaps it getting odd, that after ARC EYES the KInserts project follows, after TEasy Strike the project TE Kitty followed, after RGB Sparky he project FGWidget followed, after SLG3000 the project T-SLG followed and so on and on. I was tempted to post the SLG Scart in that thread. Why loosing time to do the next copycat. ;) DO not post your games there ;)
Guiile3dfX wrote:great news ... But you can not make one that has component video output (RGB YPBR)? For my TV has no SCART input ...
Öhm, you can use that cheap ebay scaler gbs8220 with SLG3000.
d3v

Post by d3v »

Strider77 wrote: I went to his thread.. admittedly to give my tip of the hat to your product and links to the SLG3000. I wasn't HATEFUL about it and got reprimanded. SRK is so odd.... so many shit storms or misinformation and flaming and I get a slap on the wrist for that.

Anyways thought I'd share some tabloid reading for the toilet.
As I stated, we run Tech Talk to a different standard than the rest of SRK. Stuff that flies in the other section doesn't in Tech Talk.

But in any case, I've updated the rules to specifically address the issue at hand.
bencao74 wrote:ouch, some heavy words there. Never thought that the guys are so sensible out there. It`s just a copycat. Okay, it`s perhaps it getting odd, that after ARC EYES the KInserts project follows, after TEasy Strike the project TE Kitty followed, after RGB Sparky he project FGWidget followed, after SLG3000 the project T-SLG followed and so on and on. I was tempted to post the SLG Scart in that thread. Why loosing time to do the next copycat. ;) DO not post your games there ;)
What we don't understand is why is it there's all this hate for having a similar competing product in the market - especially considering that we didn't have this stuff a few years ago.

I mean, back in SRK TT, you don't see MarkMan shitting on Razer for copying the TE's top panel layout (despite being from MadCatz). Heck, Mark actually buys and supports products from competing companies. You don't see VOLTECH shitting on Laugh for using the same VS-HG style design for the eTokki OMNI that VOLTECH used for his VAS-HG sticks. You don't see Arthong claiming that the TEK-case is better than Project Fatality because he had it beta tested by known stick builders and modders in the US. So forgive me and the other SRK TT regs if we find this "oh it's just a copycat" attitude abhorrent.
Zapf

Post by Zapf »

RosserRooster is literally blowing his load over this. I dont understand that, if he is so excited about scanlines, why didn't he check out the slg for the many months prior to toodles even working on it.