New Scanline generator SLG3000 - available now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bencao74

Re: New Scanline generator SLG3000 - available now!

Post by bencao74 »

glad you like it. :) thxs
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

deleted
Last edited by evil_ash_xero on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

The SLG3000 works on whatever resolution you feed it, within reason (see the posts around the time it came out to see the absurd number of different resolutions that were tested). Regardless of the input resolution, it will always blank out every other line, so if you're running the SLG3000 with a 1920x1080 source, 540 of those 1080 lines will be blanked.
matrigs

Post by matrigs »

did anyone reference the new scart slg against those extron rgb boxes ?
OmegaKoopa

Post by OmegaKoopa »

Hello,

I just bought myself a DVDO Edge and I am planning 
to use 240p content through it, the thing is I hear that 
the Edge doesn't do that great a job when it comes to handling
 240p content on it's own as it produces some ringing? I don't know
 what this looks like but I hear it doesn't make 240p content look good at all.

With that said, I plan to connect another device in conjunction with the Edge in 
order to solve this problem, I have been looking for an alternative solution from the
 xrgb-3 and came upon the SLG3000 which is a device that has a VGA input and has a
 VGA output that supposedly produces amazing "CTR like" scanlines according to Fudoh,
 so with this in mind I will need an HDMI to VGA transcoder since the Edge lacks VGA,
 and I came upon getting an HD Fury 3 which is necessary to connect both the Edge and
the SLG3000, here is what I plan to have as my setup:

PS2-> DVDO Edge-> HDMI to VGA transcoder-> SLG3000 -> VGA to Component/HDMI cable ->
 43" Samsung HDTV

but the problem is, I can't find one since they are supposedly banned from eBay and 
other sites as well? So I came upon this alternative:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260637278794?ss ... 2627wt_932

Okay, so my big question is, would this work instead of an HD Fury 3?
 Would it transcode 240p signal correctly without any problem whatsoever? 
Any other suggestions would greatly help.

Also since my Samsung 43" HDTV lacks VGA inputs and only has Component
and HDMI inputs, would it be alright if I used a VGA to Component/HDMI cable 
from the SLG3000 directly to my display? Or do I have to use a VGA to HDMI 
transcoder which I don't get why it's necessary since I could use the cable directly 
instead of a transcoder in between the SLG3000 to my HDTV?  Would this solution degrade the picture in anyway way? 

Thanks.
Last edited by OmegaKoopa on Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
bencao74

Post by bencao74 »

matrigs wrote:did anyone reference the new scart slg against those extron rgb boxes ?
I suppose not. SLG Scart does nothing with the RGB signal instead of adding a video filter effect, means to dim out every second line slightly.

@OmegaKoopa.

Your post exceeded the posting window. Are you able to fix it. Would make it much more readable.

Bye,

Jochen
matrigs

Post by matrigs »

the extron rgb way also has flaws. i was just curious about a side-by-side comparison of both.
both won't give me real scanlines but i am interested how they compare flicker-wise.

being available for me for a similar price i am kind of struggling.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Omega,
Your concern will be the sync polarity of that HDMI to VGA box. It could turn out to 80 dollars worth of junk if the polarity isn't right for the SLG.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

@OmegaKoopa: I've replied on the AVS board, but feel free to take the discussion over here. I doubt that any of the Edge users on the AVS board are actually interested in what you're planing.
RosserRooster

Post by RosserRooster »

@ OmegaKoopa

Why are you trying to get a hdmi output? Is the 43" a rear projection tv? I'm asking cause that's the only tv that that I know of that does not come with VGA at least for newer tv's. With all that video processing aren't you worried about lag? I'm guessing you play shmups and lag can be a issue

You should consider purchasing a smaller monitor for the 240 games the would look better and there would be a lot less video processing needed. The setup you talking about now is just too much
Cocka-doodle-do MoFo
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The setup you talking about now is just too much
I'm playing on a 52" LED with pretty much HDMI only and it's fine. If he wants to play on his 43", that's fine as well.

If you have a look at XRGB-3 thread the combination of the XRGB with another VP like the Edge, Optoma or Gefen is a common setup. Unfortunately VGA is disappearing from many entry-level TVs, e.g. Samsung LCDs or Panasonic Plasmas.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Fudoh wrote:Unfortunately VGA is disappearing from many entry-level TVs, e.g. Samsung LCDs or Panasonic Plasmas.
I'm not sure if I'd really call big brands like Samsung or Panasonic "entry level" - on the contrary, smaller brands more known for making PC monitors like Sceptre make decent TVs that have unrestricted VGA inputs (unlike our Panasonic that limits the VGA input to a maximum resolution of 1024x768 despite being a 1080p panel).
RosserRooster

Post by RosserRooster »

StarCreator wrote:
Fudoh wrote:Unfortunately VGA is disappearing from many entry-level TVs, e.g. Samsung LCDs or Panasonic Plasmas.
I'm not sure if I'd really call big brands like Samsung or Panasonic "entry level" - on the contrary, smaller brands more known for making PC monitors like Sceptre make decent TVs that have unrestricted VGA inputs (unlike our Panasonic that limits the VGA input to a maximum resolution of 1024x768 despite being a 1080p panel).
I believe he's talking about the model all big brands have low end models that they remove options to cut down on price so they are in turn "entry level" tv's just with popular name brand
Cocka-doodle-do MoFo
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

@Omega

I'm pretty sure the manufacturer will ship to the U.S if you order direct

http://dme.ghost2.net/hdfury/buy-hdfury-now/
OmegaKoopa

Post by OmegaKoopa »

SGGG2 wrote:@Omega

I'm pretty sure the manufacturer will ship to the U.S if you order direct

http://dme.ghost2.net/hdfury/buy-hdfury-now/
Thank You very much, now I'm able to get the HD Fury, more specifically the HD Fury Gamer Edition for my specific setup.
fagin wrote:Omega,
Your concern will be the sync polarity of that HDMI to VGA box. It could turn out to 80 dollars worth of junk if the polarity isn't right for the SLG.
Well, I'm not worried about polarity issues anymore with such a device since I'm assume the HD Fury Gamer Edition does a great job handling it?
Fudoh wrote:@OmegaKoopa: I've replied on the AVS board, but feel free to take the discussion over here. I doubt that any of the Edge users on the AVS board are actually interested in what you're planing.
Okay, I will respond to what you posted in the AVS Forum.
Fudoh wrote:the Fury 3 is a bit expensive for this kind of use. 
You'd be ok with a Fury 1 or even a gamer edition Fury 1. Just
 stay away from the Fury 2 as the SLG3000 is not compatible with 
the Fury's sync polarities.
Yeah, I'm guessing the HD Fury Gamer Edition would be a good enough
 solution. 
Fudoh wrote:does not work.

Given your existing setup (Edge + VGA-less Samsung TV) 
I would recommend you keep the Edge last in the chain. 
What kind of 240p sources do you want to use ? I would
 simply get a GBS8220 from ebay ($40) or a HDBoxPro clone
 from monoprice ($38) and use the chain like this:

Source > GBS8220 > SLG3000 > EDGE > TV

Save yourself the money for the Fury...
Well, for starters I plan to mostly play my PS1 240p
 games via my PS2 or 60GB PS3, maybe a SegaGenesis
 from time to time, I also plan to play lots of 480i and
480p content from my PS2 so I'm not exactly sure if
that chain would interfere with the picture quality? What 
I'm trying to do is basically improve the 240p picture with
the SLG3000 for that kind of gaming and combo it with the 
Edge as well.

But from looking at your chain, since the SLG3000 only has
VGA output, I'm assuming that I would I need a transcoder
(HD Fury Gamer Edition) in between the SLG3000 
and the Edge in order to complete the chain for my specific
setup? or would a VGA to HDMI cable suffice?

Also, would the PS2 picture (source) be carried to the Edge 
without degration or potential polarity issues since my source 
wouldn't be directly be connected to it?

I also happened to have read that the Edge had superior 
240p handling before a newer firmware, would that be r
recommended in case my Edge has the latest one?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

But from looking at your chain, since the SLG3000 only has VGA output, I'm assuming that I would I need a transcoder
(HD Fury Gamer Edition) in between the SLG3000 and the Edge in order to complete the chain for my specific setup? or would a VGA to HDMI cable suffice?
a VGA to HDMI cable never works, forget about that.
The Edge has a VGA input, you just need a breakout cable from a VGA DSub15 port to 5x RCA/Cinch.
fagin

Post by fagin »

If you follow Fudoh's advice (I can't see the thread but I assume he has suggested using a Sync Strike between the console and SLG and feeding the SLG to the VGA inputs on the EDGE) you won't get any polarity issues, as you're not doing any transcoding prior to the EDGE.

Picture quality will be fine and much improved over just using the EDGE on it's own.

Yes the previous FW version is alot sharper for 240p content, but it comes with it's own issues. As you're using the SLG I would stick with your current FW imo. Any benefit on sharpness is greatly reduced with the SLG in toe.

Flash with the older FW and have a play yourself.... you can always go back to the current FW version.
OmegaKoopa

Post by OmegaKoopa »

Fudoh wrote:a VGA to HDMI cable never works, forget about that.
The Edge has a VGA input, you just need a breakout cable from a VGA DSub15 port to 5x RCA/Cinch.
Okay, I just got that other cable you suggested to me, which is a VGA to RGBHV which should be fine.

On another point, since I also plan on mostly playing 240p content via a Wii and PS2 using both the 8220 and the SLG3000, does the SLG3000 feature a switch to use for only certain games? Also since I plan on using my PS2/Wii for progressive games and 480i content, wouldn't they benifit better connecting through the Edge directly instead of connecting the PS2 to the 8220 and SLG3000 without having to swap out cables everytime? I'm assuming that this is only recommended with "true" retro" consoles instead rather than solely using it for my PS2 and Wii? I'm thinking about using a Matrix box like this since it features component that could reroute directly to the edge.

http://www.avtoolbox.com/avt5842mx.shtml
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Can anyone confirm that the Fury Gamer edition works with the SLG? If's it's a Fury1 in cable form it should work, but I don't think we've tested it...
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

does the SLG3000 feature a switch to use for only certain games?
yes.
Also since I plan on using my PS2/Wii for progressive games and 480i content
for 480p games (so most if not all Wii games) you can leave the GBS in place, it should not alter the image. For 480i you're right, here a direct connection to the Edge would be superior.
I'm thinking about using a Matrix box
sure, this will work fine.

@SGGG2: I haven't tested the Fury Gamer edition myself, but to my knowledge, it's essentially a Fury 1.
OmegaKoopa

Post by OmegaKoopa »

Okay guys, I'm going to go ahead and finally get the SLG3000 in conjunction with the 8220 and HD Fury cable (for PS3 HDMI output).

I have to say, my vintage needs are quite limited to only PS1 games and PS2 titles like Disgaea and Ico that run at 240p, I plan to use the SLG3000 for both my PS3 60GB and of course my PS2 and Wii, this of course raises a question, would my PS1/PS2 240p titles look better on my 60GB PS3 with the SLG scanlines (with the edge) or would it give me the same result on my PS2 in conjuction with the Edge and slg3000?
Last edited by OmegaKoopa on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

PS2's better.

If you're limiting yourself to PS1/2/Wii get the Monoprice HDBox clone instead of the GBS8220.
OmegaKoopa

Post by OmegaKoopa »

Fudoh wrote:PS2's better.

If you're limiting yourself to PS1/2/Wii get the Monoprice HDBox clone instead of the GBS8220.
Well, I do have a white Lenkeng Box (LKV7000?) that has VGA/component to HDMI, would that work from my SLG3000 to my display for PS3 use? Also, Im thinking that the HD Box Pro(original) in conjuction with the SLG3000 and Edge might give favorable 240p results, maybe something like the xrgb3 with and Edge might do?

Also,Can the HD Fury Gamer Edition cable work both ways? Like routing from the PS3 to the SLG3000 and then of course routing it from the SLG3000 to my display? It sounds weird but I ask simply because the Edge may not be needed for processing my 240p content that's played via my PS3 as it already scales it, but I simply intend to add scanlines onto them.

Here is my possible setup:

PS2>HD Pro/8220>SLG3000 >DVDO>Samsung HDTV

and possibly

PS3>HDFury Gamer Edition cable>SLG3000>Edge>HDTV

I'm assuming the PS2 would be better for displaying 240p content with scanlines right?

Thanks.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Well, I do have a white Lenkeng Box (LKV7000?) that has VGA/component to HDMI, would that work from my SLG3000 to my display for PS3 use?
yes, 480p via YUV from the PS3 > LKV7000 (Transcoder) > SLG3000.
Also, Im thinking that the HD Box Pro(original) in conjuction with the SLG3000 and Edge might give favorable 240p results, maybe something like the xrgb3 with and Edge might do?
The original HDBoxPro is a bit better than the clones, but with scanlines applied the difference is hardly worth the extra effort.
Also,Can the HD Fury Gamer Edition cable work both ways?
no, HDMI to VGA only.
may not be needed for processing my 240p content that's played via my PS3 as it already scales it, but I simply intend to add scanlines onto them.
You already have a PS3, right ? Also the Edge ? And the LKV7000 and the SLG3000 ?

You can do PS3 (set to 480p YUV output) > LKV > SLG3000 > EDGE > TV
The same works for the Wii as long as the games support 480p output.

This way you need neither a HDBox/GBS nor a HDFury.

If you're happy with the results, use it this way. By using a real PS2 you can minimize the lag introduced by the PS3.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Could someone give me a real quick explanation of the Dip-Switches?

I was wondering if I could have any control of the thickness of the darkened lines. Is that possible?
fagin

Post by fagin »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I was wondering if I could have any control of the thickness of the darkened lines. Is that possible?
Nope... the only thing that will change the thickness is the resolution you're feeding the SLG. The higher the resolution, the thinner and the more lines you will get.

You can of course alter the brightness of each alternate line, but that's not the same as the thickness.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

Long time no post! How you guys doing?

I had something in line with that question where I was able to take off the case to my crt and manage the internal focus from the board. Bare in mind this is a massive safety risk as you're working with live hardware, but if you don't mind turning your monitor to resemble something more closely to a lower res display, this is a viable solution.

Now if crt's were able to have their sharpness levels adjusted from the front, none of this would ever be an issue.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
OmegaKoopa

Post by OmegaKoopa »

Okay, I've been wondering, as far as my PS2 setup is concerned, would this setup work?

PS2> DVDO Edge> HD Fury Gamer Edition > SLG3000> (Lenkeng LKV351?) >Samsung 450

I know Fudoh suggested I place the Edge last due to my VGA less Samsung display, but the reason why I'm deciding a direct PS2 connection is because of my constant usage with 480i content, as it really won't benefit if the PS2 isn't directly connected with the Edge for deinterlacing, not to mention constant cable swapping. I'm also wondering if 240p would still be fine this way, I'm guessing it could since the LKV351 happens to be the same as the HD Box pro regarding chipset and processing? It also has the added benefit since it outputs HDMI to my display and has VGA input for my SLG, and since I happen to own it already, might want to give it a try.

Regardless I might still pick up the HD Box Pro since I'm trying to experiment between my PS3 and PS2, of course lag isn't so much of a concern as I've testing my plasma which already has a high refresh rate and of course I haven't experience no lag whatsoever with game mode off.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

I've no experience with the Lenkeng LKV351 -- I imagine it's good for the price, but the quality's just decent. Why not pick up a Gefen VGA to DVI Scaler Plus instead? It's fantastic and you'll never again need worry about the scaler in whatever set you're using.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I know Fudoh suggested I place the Edge last due to my VGA less Samsung display, but the reason why I'm deciding a direct PS2 connection is because of my constant usage with 480i content, as it really won't benefit if the PS2 isn't directly connected with the Edge for deinterlacing, not to mention constant cable swapping.
keep the SLG3000 before the Edge and just add a little component matrix, so you don't have to swap cables.... still the WAY better solution.