Removing the mounting plate from a Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Shuurin

Removing the mounting plate from a Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT

Post by Shuurin »

Just got a new sanwa JLF-TP-8YT stick from Jammaboards and it came with the mounting plate preinstalled. Four phillips head screws so I thought it would be a cinch to remove them. All my current phillips head screw drivers seem either too large or too small for them and appear to be doing nothing but aiding in striping the damn things. I need to remove them to get the mounting plate off as its going inside a cabinet and the mounting plate doesn't line up with the holes but the actual body of the stick does. Anyone know which size phillips I need to obtain to safetly remove these suckers? Is it just me or are these torqued in to make it near impossible to remove?
Dave_K.

Re: Removing the mounting plate from a Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT

Post by Dave_K. »

I have a set of small screwdrivers I used for it, and don't remember it being a problem. I bet the plate was added to the stick afterwards by the supplier and he used an electric screwdriver or something. Sorry, I guess this doesn't help much. I think the small screwdriver pack I bought was from radio shack or something similar to this.
MKL

Post by MKL »

Shuurin wrote:Is it just me or are these torqued in to make it near impossible to remove?
They're glued.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

good luck. those screws are a total pita to remove. i have a security bit set from harbor freight that has about a dozen slightly different sized/pitched phillips bits and one of those did the trick. they are glued in, so you need to get the perfect (oddly) shaped phillips bit to allow you to get enough torque on it and not strip them.

barring that, take the gate and the microswitches off and use a heat gun to try and soften the glue. just be careful you don't melt the plastic body.
Shuurin

Post by Shuurin »

Yea, I took a peek and found the glue last night. What a pain in the arse, you'd think 4 screws would be enough to keep the plate secure with some minor maintenance down the road. This glue is a huge let down.

neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

A bit off topic but once I tried to replace the stem and to do that I had to remove that ring piece. How the hell is that supposed to be done anyway? Its tight as a ducks ass and sharp on the edges, its fiddly as hell as well. I managed to get off and on again but it were a bit beat up. I assume there is a tool for it?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Shuurin

Post by Shuurin »

Never ended up getting the thing blue goo off the thing, but I was given a smart solution I wasn't aware of that worked out well. Since the only thing really connected to the mounting plate is the plastic mounting ring I just removed all the new parts on the stick and attached them to the plastic mounting plate off an older sanwa I was given. Problem solved and its in my cabinet. The stick works like a dream, thanks everyone.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

You can drill these out: by the time you've drilled probably less than the depth of the plate the glue has come loose - maybe part due to heat, maybe part the drill direction, either ways it gets them out.

... But yeah you can't just unscrew these normally.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Thats really strange, I've bought lots of sanwa sticks (for my Windy cabs), and none of them ever came with the mounting plate glued to the stick! I like jammaboards.com, and buy stuff from them all the time, just never sticks. You should email them to let them know this is not good. Their website also allows you to rate/write a review for each of their products, so you should warn others about this.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Dave_K. wrote:Thats really strange, I've bought lots of sanwa sticks (for my Windy cabs), and none of them ever came with the mounting plate glued to the stick! I like jammaboards.com, and buy stuff from them all the time, just never sticks. You should email them to let them know this is not good. Their website also allows you to rate/write a review for each of their products, so you should warn others about this.
I don't think it's jammaboards fault, as the jlf's ive gotten from lizardlick are glued as well. probably done at the factory by sanwa.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

I believe its actually specified in the stick model name - I think ones with a plate have a T on the end (?) ... It would seem the commonly stocked ones often are these plated models.

It looks like its a kind of film put in place and then the screws are put in... maybe helps protect join/rubbing of metal on metal. Certainly nothing to complain about - maybe try specifying a non-plated stick to your supplier if you want them? - The plate does not seem to effect pricing that much, if at all...