RGB BNC port CRT monitor

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Zeron

RGB BNC port CRT monitor

Post by Zeron »

I have seen that alot CRT monitors also have BNC RGB connectors. Are these superior to the traditional VGA connector? What are these even used for?

I am really clueless when it comes to this
Fudoh

Re: RGB BNC port CRT monitor

Post by Fudoh »

Same signal, but better connectors and you can usually drive longer cables using BNC connections.

I also highly appreciate BNC connection because it kicks out the information lines, so the display and the source can't communicate. My TV for example, uses a traditional VGA input, but I use a VGA-BNC/BNC-VGA connection to connect sources.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

all the really high end gear outputs over BNC, but adapter cables of more than passable quality are cheap on ebay, and do the job quite nicely.
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

This should do the job right?
Now I can finally have my 360 and PC plugged into the same TATE monitor.

dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Zeron wrote:This should do the job right?
Now I can finally have my 360 and PC plugged into the same TATE monitor.

Yep, I picked up 3 sets just like that on ebay for a total of 20 dollars shipped. Mine are black, instead of blue.
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Are BNC connectors used by professionals over VGA?
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Zeron wrote:Are BNC connectors used by professionals over VGA?

They used to be used a lot for analogue rgb... Almost exclusively...

In the digital world they are still often found; particularly for rgbs [as opposed to rgbhv]

These days for most studio environments I've never seen it often actively chosen over a vga connector as such; but it often remains a viable choice - especially for reducing risk of signal degradation.

It always was a very practical setup for confirming signal and connection strengths. [Each one being an obviously separate line and connection]. I imagine for some broadcast needs, or similar, where frequent manual setups and manual troubleshooting goes on, it might be preferred (?)
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

gray117 wrote:
Zeron wrote:Are BNC connectors used by professionals over VGA?

They used to be used a lot for analogue rgb... Almost exclusively...

In the digital world they are still often found; particularly for rgbs [as opposed to rgbhv]

These days for most studio environments I've never seen it often actively chosen over a vga connector as such; but it often remains a viable choice - especially for reducing risk of signal degradation.

It always was a very practical setup for confirming signal and connection strengths. [Each one being an obviously separate line and connection]. I imagine for some broadcast needs, or similar, where frequent manual setups and manual troubleshooting goes on, it might be preferred (?)
That and the cables are usually made of tougher stuff, and you can get bigboy coax cables that are sheilded if you need to transmit an analog signal through what the FCC would refer to as "Electromagnetic soup", they do long distance so they're actually extremely popular with projectors even today.

Nobody uses VGA instead, if its analog its BNC, if its not, its digital. Thank you HDMI for making people give a shit about accurate video.

we use BNC connectors with sheilded coax that makes good Cable TV cables look like a joke at my job for our security systems, granted its Composite video, but it looks like RGB video thanks to the signal making it to the other end in piece.

We actually are too cheap to buy a 10 foot length of the stuff, so we use 2 VGA to BNC cables, a VGA coupler, and a BNC to RCA connector to connect the camera to my laptop for when we need to refocus them.