[TGS] Radiant Silvergun coming to XBLA

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DietSoap

Re: [TGS] Radiant Silvergun coming to XBLA

Post by DietSoap »

Maegawa can say whatever he wants, but at the end of the day he's running a business. If he truly felt confident having his game on an iphone made long term financial sense and was not too much of a hassle to the way his company currently runs, logic dictates he would have done so. I'm not sure celebrating having our options limited is ever a good idea. Understanding why they are, sure.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

I have got mixed feelings about this XBLA release. Even if it is a very good piece of news because a lot of people we'll be able to enjoy the game without getting ruined I am a bit upset since I was waiting for a true sucessor for Ikaruga, a new game but it seems that to do so They'll have to spend lots of money so they've taken the easy way and port their classic.
That being said I won't give up on my hope to see it in the near future.
Warp_Rattler

Post by Warp_Rattler »

I'd probably jump on this if I didn't already have the Saturn version--games as good as this really should be experienced in a legitimate fashion by fans of the genre. Plus, I'm always happy to see a developer get paid for something that goes for ridiculous prices on the secondhand market.

They're really of no relation, but I'm hoping this might drop the price of the STV carts just a little--would love to have me one of those.
Sasupoika

Post by Sasupoika »

After playing Touhou, all other bullet patterns seem childlike and primitive.
It begins.
ImageImage
Danza

Post by Danza »

God, even that caused me an instant pang of rage. Who are these people.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

dcharlie wrote:
afoia wrote:The iphone just isnt designed for CAVE games, the touch screen controls are to sluggish for playing bullet hell shmups, when you need to have fast reactions and accuracy with your controls
... have you actually tried any of the Cave Iphone/ipad efforts?
Based on the massive inaccuracy of his comment, I'd wager no.
bcass wrote:
harlequ1n wrote:Why discuss a probable iPhone launch when this game (and Ikaruga) are clamouring for a PSN release :(
Because nobody gives a flying fuck about the PS3, including me, who actually owns one.
Ha ha! That made me laugh. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately the laughter can only go so far, I also own one, and I also don't give a flying fuck about it. :?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

mesh control

Post by mesh control »

Topic derail:

I don't get the hate for the PS3, what other than shmups does the PS3 lack?
lol
E. Randy Dupre

Post by E. Randy Dupre »

Could we maybe, y'know, *not* screw this thread up by encouraging people to go into the same old arguments about PS3/iPhone yet a-fucking-gain?

Cheers.
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

E. Randy Dupre wrote:Could we maybe, y'know, *not* screw this thread up by encouraging people to go into the same old arguments about PS3/iPhone yet a-fucking-gain?

Cheers.
It's those discussions that make me browse this forum.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

mesh control wrote:Topic derail:

I don't know. I just got one recently, and it's a good system. The 360's got all the shmups though..but other than that, it's just a matter of which port is better(and a few exclusives per system).
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Best not to get started. As an owner of all the current gen consoles I'm objective in my opinions of it, but the 360 is simply packed with more exciting stuff on a more regular basis.

Back OT tho, anyone here going to sell their copy of RSG in favour of this XBLA ting?

brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Skykid wrote:

Best not to get started. As an owner of all the current gen consoles I'm objective in my opinions of it, but the 360 is simply packed with more exciting stuff on a more regular basis.

Back OT tho, anyone here going to sell their copy of RSG in favour of this XBLA ting?
I'll pick this up but won't part with my Saturn port. Then again i preordered it, so maybe I have $50 in it, or so.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Skykid wrote:

No way. I want to keep the physical copy. Especially of a game I like this much.
I still kept my GC Ikaruga, even after I got the HD version.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
Skykid wrote:

No way. I want to keep the physical copy. Especially of a game I like this much.
I still kept my GC Ikaruga, even after I got the HD version.
It is hard to leave such a precious game, even if it gets a new version.
I don't like digital content so me too I'll keep my Saturn and GC copies of the game. I still wondering how good is going to be port and how it will be the new "ikaruga mode", it got me intrigued.
njiska

Post by njiska »

A cheap development cycle? Seems to be why small devs don't like it.
Humility? Like it or not MS was very humble about it's place in Japan and has been actively courting people to it's platform.
Region Locking? Let's face it the Japanese seem to like it.

As for me I just don't care for it because it lacks something to set it apart. I've owned one for a while now and it's basically been used for Sam & Max, Uncharted, Heavy Rain and that is. Apart from Blu-Ray of course. That said it gets more action than my Wii ever did and it's modded for christ's sake.

Now getting back on topic, is any one else waiting for the incompetent mainstream reviewers to start comparing it to Ikaruga? I'm sure it'll breed some amusing misinformed comments. In fact I'm kind of worried that mainstream PR in the US will keep referencing it's relation to Ikaruga and then the normal gamers will be put off when it doesn't have the polarity system.
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
E. Randy Dupre

Post by E. Randy Dupre »

Yeah, stupid people, comparing a game to its direct sequel.
njiska

Post by njiska »

E. Randy Dupre wrote:Yeah, stupid people, comparing a game to its direct sequel.
Yes, I know Ikaruga was once RS2, but while the games have a lot in common there's also a lot that's different. Weapons system vs. polarity for example. Plot vs. practically no plot. Annoying chain system vs... well ok, that's the same. The point i'm getting at is that its far more a spiritual sequel than a direct one. I'm concerned that the the average Joe will have the wrong expectations and I'm not sure the media will make a note of conveying that or that Radiant came first.
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

njiska wrote:Now getting back on topic, is any one else waiting for the incompetent mainstream reviewers to start comparing it to Ikaruga? I'm sure it'll breed some amusing misinformed comments. In fact I'm kind of worried that mainstream PR in the US will keep referencing it's relation to Ikaruga and then the normal gamers will be put off when it doesn't have the polarity system.
You know, I think that is one of the reasons they're implementing "Secret Ikaruga Shooting Style" to RS - in order to add a bit more connection between the two titles. Nevertheless, comparison is going to be pretty much unavoidable and I'm pretty sure many people will be wondering why there is no polarity system in RS by default.
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

njiska wrote:
E. Randy Dupre wrote:Yeah, stupid people, comparing a game to its direct sequel.
Yes, I know Ikaruga was once RS2, but while the games have a lot in common there's also a lot that's different. Weapons system vs. polarity for example. Plot vs. practically no plot. Annoying chain system vs... well ok, that's the same. The point i'm getting at is that its far more a spiritual sequel than a direct one. I'm concerned that the the average Joe will have the wrong expectations and I'm not sure the media will make a note of conveying that or that Radiant came first.
Wether we like it or not, comparisons will be inevitable. even if they don't share the same system. However in this port a comparison between them can be made if it is only taken into account the new mode that is going to be introduced and has been announce for Treasure as an Ikaruga gameplay mode. As I have said before I am really curious to see the changes introduced in that mode to se how it will affect the gameplay in the game.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

njiska wrote:
Yes, I know Ikaruga was once RS2, but while the games have a lot in common there's also a lot that's different.
They're totally different; RSG is wonderful, Ikaruga is meh.

The only similarity is they're both by Treasure.

Observer

Post by Observer »

I can't wait for the reviews complaining the game isn't too long, you can beat it in 1 hour and you can't save in the middle. "5/10". Come on, you know you want it :P

God forbids if you have to tell them you need to chain enemies by colour, sometimes missing dozens of enemies, that chaining also levels up your weapons and if you don't reach Xiga with a certain weapon level you are absolutely $%·$%·$. Oh, and the bosses that time out fast, the fact that you need to destroy them 100% to get max bonuses, etc. But, who cares, as I said before: it's SOOOOO EPIC. (actually, I do think it's delightfully over the top in its amount of bosses and such)

Let us hit continue together!
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

hail good sir wrote:Gradius 5 I guess, but they'd be crazy to mess with the formula assuming Konami would even let them.
Not sure I understand what you're talking about, because Treasure sure messed with it a lot.

It is slower and has more environment interaction than any other Gradius game, as well as the wonderful idea of backwards scrolling in stage 6.
It has a 2x2 px player hitbox and small bullet hitboxes signature of bullet hell games.
On higher loops it has more bullets packed in denser streams than all other Gradius games combined.

In general it feels a lot more like a Treasure game than a Konami game. Hell, it feels more like R-Type than Gradius.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Skykid wrote:
njiska wrote:
Yes, I know Ikaruga was once RS2, but while the games have a lot in common there's also a lot that's different.
They're totally different; RSG is wonderful, Ikaruga is meh.

The only similarity is they're both by Treasure.

Boo! Hiss! :lol:

Anyway, do you guys think it will keep the extras in the Saturn version? I'm pretty concerned about the ship speed adjustment being removed. I have a hard time getting into it with it's original speed.
E. Randy Dupre

Post by E. Randy Dupre »

If that YouTube link is an official vid, then I guess so - the animated intro didn't appear in the arcade version, did it? And if they're needing achievements, collecting X number of dogs would be an obvious one to include.
Shuurin

Post by Shuurin »

I've tried the arcade version of this game and couldn't wrap my head around it probably due to the odd controls and leveling system. With the chance to buy this on my 360 and get some good practice on it is great news, can't wait.
lawnspic

Post by lawnspic »

X360 owners are definitely spoiled. I know there are many other great titles out there i am sure a lot of members would like to see on XBLA but this has got to be the icing on the cake. Great news
Iron Maiden: "It was dead, but alive at the same time."
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Radiant Silvergun is, in terms of level & boss design and atmosphere, the most epic shmup ever made.

This being said, I don't like it too much. I always felt the game was too demanding, too frustrating, the chaining is a chore to do (and you can't ignore it like in Ikaruga)...

...yet I do apreciate the level design, thought and care put into the game. If it was a more straightforward shmup, I would dig it a lot more.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Shatterhand wrote: ...yet I do apreciate the level design, thought and care put into the game. If it was a more straightforward shmup, I would dig it a lot more.
That's what Saturn mode is for.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
antron

Post by antron »

evil_ash_xero wrote: I still kept my GC Ikaruga, even after I got the HD version.
HD? were the graphics of the 360 version actually improved over the 480p original?
bcass

Post by bcass »

I think they are higher res, but they don't look as good as the DC graphics IMO.