Your new music thread **formerly 'Music Production Thread'

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Udderdude

Re: Music Production Thread

Post by Udderdude »

Viper Phase 1 8-bit remix? DO WANT
louisg

Post by louisg »

I finally got around to checking out Null 1024's 24 minute jam.. damn dude, that's awesome. What did you use for noise? It sounds 1-bitty (which is cool). How long did this take you?

igloo, that VP phase 1 remix.. dope.

I'm also digging frux's ambient doom track. This is all really cool stuff.
Humans, think about what you have done
null1024

Post by null1024 »

louisg wrote:I finally got around to checking out Null 1024's 24 minute jam.. damn dude, that's awesome. What did you use for noise? It sounds 1-bitty (which is cool). How long did this take you?
The song took about 4-7 days to make. I can't remember how long exactly. About 10 - 14 hours of actual tracking, probably.
The noise is in fact effectively 1 bit, I generated a normal white noise sample, amplified it until everything was completely clipped [so 10000% amplification, twice], and then dropped it down to 40% volume.

Also, listening to Das igloo's stuff that was posted, quite nice. Only issue is that snare drum -- it doesn't sound very nice.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Das igloo

Post by Das igloo »

null1024 wrote:Only issue is that snare drum -- it doesn't sound very nice.
Thanks for listening and thanks for the input. It does seem a little off but I kinda like it for some reason......
TomuS wrote:Downloaded FamiTracker recently - how come I've never tried it!? It's awesome, and not too hard to use.
Spend many hours learning it, inputting notes, playing with effects etc. This is what I've got so far: http://www.sendspace.com/file/2b3vdm :D
I know right? I remember trying Nerdtracker II a few years ago before finding Famitracker and it is really a godsend in comparison. Also that track you uploaded is great.
cools

Post by cools »

Does anyone have any recommendations for sound cards?

I'm currently using a SoundBlaster USB which works well for what I want it, but I'd really like something that completely eliminates interference from the PC. A MIDI interface would be nice too.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

cools wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for sound cards?

I'm currently using a SoundBlaster USB which works well for what I want it, but I'd really like something that completely eliminates interference from the PC. A MIDI interface would be nice too.
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_au/A ... e2496.html

Low cost, but incredible quality and low latency. It's been a couple of years though, so this might not be the bees knees today.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
cools

Post by cools »

Should've added - USB :) There's every chance I'll be changing to a laptop at some point in the near future so USB is a must (ExpressCard can sod off for now)
louisg

Post by louisg »

You might want to aim for something with balanced outputs (avoid interference) and, assuming you use MIDI, hardware MIDI and not USB MIDI (latency issue). My FireBox served me well for a few years, but it crapped out recently or I would have recommended it :/
cools

Post by cools »

I just ordered a Novation Remote SL 37 Limited Edition so I will have both USB MIDI and regular MIDI available shortly :D

Thanks for the tip - my monitors are suited for balanced audio, I just needed the terminology!
cools

Post by cools »

Placed an order for a Presonus AudioBox and all the necessary cables :D Thanks again for the tip!
cools

Post by cools »

:D

No interference! :mrgreen:
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Cool setup bro :3
louisg

Post by louisg »

Renoise \o/
louisg

Post by louisg »

Hey, I just finished this.. well, it's not quite done. Lemme know if anyone has suggestions. It's an Adlib track made with the glorious DOS program RADTracker

http://soundcloud.com/extentofthejam/we ... each-other
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Guitar at 1:00 is a bit too detuned.

Other than that, sounds good so far.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Entry/ ... stry/5725/
Did this for the this year's BotB Detroit competition. A bit iffy to me, but I'm submitting it.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
louisg

Post by louisg »

null1024 wrote:http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Entry/ ... stry/5725/
Did this for the this year's BotB Detroit competition. A bit iffy to me, but I'm submitting it.
Cool tune! Very danceable. You used the backwards saws pwm trick, eh? :) I should do that more... it's better than having the phasing speed up and down with the note for sure
null1024

Post by null1024 »

louisg wrote:
Cool tune! Very danceable. You used the backwards saws pwm trick, eh? :) I should do that more... it's better than having the phasing speed up and down with the note for sure
Thanks!
Also, on the PWM thing: Yup, although the phasing speed does change with the note with the backwards saw trick [just like a sampled PWM slide]. Only way for it not to is if you made your PWM with a pulse synth with width controlled by LFO [or if you adjust the detuning of the other saw based on the note you're playing, which is far more annoying].
I did it this way because I had to use the samples provided [and it's one of my favorite tricks anyway :D].
louisg

Post by louisg »

null1024 wrote:
louisg wrote:
Thanks!
Also, on the PWM thing: Yup, although the phasing speed does change with the note with the backwards saw trick [just like a sampled PWM slide]. Only way for it not to is if you made your PWM with a pulse synth with width controlled by LFO [or if you adjust the detuning of the other saw based on the note you're playing, which is far more annoying].
I did it this way because I had to use the samples provided [and it's one of my favorite tricks anyway :D].
Yeah, I was thinking using a note slide to detune.. I guess whether it stays the same speed then would depend on the tracker. I haven't done it a whole lot. What might be fun would be hand-drawing the ramps, because then the little wiggles would not cancel and it might sound interesting because of it.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Siren2011
Banned User

Post by Siren2011 »

"Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die. Trapped in a moe~ existence"
psy

Post by psy »

I dabble in a little bit of production, but I'm neither skilled enough to convince anyone to buy me some nice equipment or rich enough to buy anything myself.

Here's what's done of a beat I'm making at the moment, doubt it'll even get rounded off to make that snippet clean, let alone get finished as a full track:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20153482/untitled.mp3

And here's what happens when I try making something with no prior inspiration and next to no experience with making a nice synth :D
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20153482/jujujtu.mp3
louisg

Post by louisg »

TomuS

Post by TomuS »

Has anybody checked out Shiru's VGM Music Maker already? For making Mega Drive music, samples and all. Pretty much the best thing ever. :D

Here's some tracks I've made with it: http://2a03.free.fr/?p=pub&dir=Tomy

@louisg, beautiful sounds! Really digging that bassline too.
Last edited by TomuS on Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Woh woh woh, gonna break you down!!
The table will turn around, you'll see!!"
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

I really enjoyed this track. It's right up my alley!

Nice work Louis. More like that please.
cools

Post by cools »

Having non-ghosted three octaves (an actual keyboard) available is a massive improvement :D
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

hardware ftw!
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Minimal Ambient music, that is a somewhat older song of mine but finally has a proper release. Got released by a great chillout group of artists that release under the banner of Tunguska Electronic Music Society.
link:
http://soundcloud.com/lilmanjs/above-it-all
dcharlie

Post by dcharlie »

I'm sure this is old new to everyone but me, but i decided to snag the Korg M01 DS thing.

Good GOD it's a mini marvel!

I managed to throw this up in about 10 minutes on the train (hardly a master piece and no structure, but hey)
Sorry it's a vid ... with nothing happening in it, but you can get some idea for the sound :)

www.dcharlie.com/M01dcharlie.wmv
"I've asked 2 experts on taking RGB screenshots...."
louisg

Post by louisg »

dcharlie wrote:I'm sure this is old new to everyone but me, but i decided to snag the Korg M01 DS thing.

Good GOD it's a mini marvel!

I managed to throw this up in about 10 minutes on the train (hardly a master piece and no structure, but hey)
Sorry it's a vid ... with nothing happening in it, but you can get some idea for the sound :)

http://www.dcharlie.com/M01dcharlie.wmv
Oh I totally forgot about the M01! I'll have to look into that. I just got a Korg Monotron, the $60 analog synth that fits in your pocket :) It's awesome (but limited). The best thing about it could be the aux input which lets you filter any sound you want.