converting rgb to component.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
matrigs

converting rgb to component.

Post by matrigs »

hi there !

i lately bought a lg 29" flat crt (which i DON'T recommend) which i wanted to connect to my dreamcast.

now the problem is that all 3 scart inputs it has seem not to work with rgb signals.

the second and third input show the typical black screen with a light gray image which i already new before is meaning that the input doesn't take rgb signals at all.

the problem is with the first input which in fact IS showing a quiet good image but it is completely yellow for some unknown reason. i was convinced that something with the blue colour must be broken (as a yellow image should mean lack of blue afaik). so i gave it to a repari shop who told me that everything seems fine with the input and there is nothing burned inside and the yellow image doesn't exactly mean that it will work with a rgb signal. that might be the case because when i tried to cut off the signal on the scart pin which is providing the blue signal, the image disappeared completely.

does anybody know what this might mean ? maybe the tv is accepting component over scart and that is why i can see the yellow image ?

so in either case i kind of came to the conclusion that i won't be able to use the scart inputs so i came to the conclusion that i will have to convert the rgb signal to component (the tv set has 2 component inputs).

i found out that the conversion is relatively easy as it just mixes the colours and the sync signal. problem is that converters like this are relatively pricey looking at the inner parts. so i wanted to make one like this myself but i just simply cannot find a pcb schematic for something like this on the internet.

maybe someone has a link to a site which would provide such a schematic ?

another thing i wanted to try is using a hdtv dvd recorder. there are plenty of models which have scart input and component output. most of them have notes on accepting rgb signals over the scart input. problem is that absolutely nobody i know has a recorder like this and i wouldn't want to buy one only to check that it doesn't work. something that made me suspicious is the fact that i have a hdtv decoder at home which also is meant to accept rgb signals, but connecting my dc results in the usual black screen.

that's why i would want to ask - if someone has a working hdd/dvd recorder with a scart input and a dc, if he could connect both pieces together and check if it would work to connect it like this.

maybe someone has another idea for connecting my dc to my tv ?

thanks in advance
mesmer

Re: converting rgb to component.

Post by mesmer »

matrigs

Re: converting rgb to component.

Post by matrigs »

thanks !

seen the elm-chan circuit before - problem is i'm not able to make the pcb project alone and i have no one who would make it. the jrok stuff is far too expensive.