Starting an arcade with a narrow door - which cabinets & why

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BankBankNY

Starting an arcade with a narrow door - which cabinets & why

Post by BankBankNY »

Hey folks. Currently looking at a space in Manhattan that has some narrow openings. Front door is probably 32", would have to double check, and there's a fairly narrow hallway to get into the space. The front opening is like 29" but I *think* I can remove the frame.

I'm looking to order 3-5 candy cabs to begin with, preferably something inexpensive but quality like Astro City. My question is this: which is the ideal cabinet to purchase for a complete novice with a narrow doorway?

thanks for your help everyone. And I hope if this thing works out you'll come and play battle garegga or dangun feveron at my place :)
neorichieb1971

Re: Starting an arcade with a narrow door - which cabinets & why

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Atomiswave - Egret2-3

The CP comes off quite easily. Making it easier to get in.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
BankBankNY

Post by BankBankNY »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Atomiswave - Egret2-3

The CP comes off quite easily. Making it easier to get in.
Do you know, approximately, the dimensions of the machine with the CP off?

Also, I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that an Egret II or III would be one of the more expensive units out there - correct?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

There are just only four bolts/thread screws that hold up a typical control panel setup on the Taito Egret II/III candy cab setup. If the bolts haven't been removed before, it will take two pairs of socket wrenches to intially slowly undo the factory spec tightened bolts -- which is unbelievably super tight as it is. With the CP taken off, the Egret II only measures a scant 23 1/2 inches -- it'll fit through a 29" doorway with ease. For ease of rotating the CRT-based arcade monitor, it's recommended to pick up an Egret II or even an Egret 29 candy cab. Before the economy went south, a typical E2 cab was selling for $1,300-$1,350 USD but can be had for cheaper these days in the neighborhood of $900-$1,000 nowdays depending on the condition that their in, of course. It's the shipping across the country that will be a bit expensive but well worth in the end alone just to have some candy cabs in your own commercial arcade business.

Good luck with your new arcade, BankBankNY. It's always good to see another indy arcade open up in the USA. If your budget allows for one of the more modern Cave arcade PCB kits to be installed, an Cave produced Dodonpachi-Dai-Fukkatsu version 1.5 PCB kit or Akai Katana PCB kit would be right up your alley to attract the hard-core shmups fans. It's the newest and latest arcade hardware/software that attracts the arcade gamers in to patronize your business along with the tried & true classic arcade titles + pinball tables that make up for a typical arcade business. Or you could try renting from your local arcade distributor to get some of the latest games in. Just check under the Yellowbook listings under the subject heading of "Vending Machines, Amusement Vending Distributors."

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BankBankNY

Post by BankBankNY »

$1000 + $300-500 in shipping per unit is probably going to be out of my price range initially. My alternative plan is to buy American style cabs and put in sanwa/seimitsu sticks/buttons. I have a friend that owns a moving company, so I can use his truck to drive anywhere within reason and pick up machines. It's all about cost and availability.

Interesting idea about renting arcade games. I'll look into it.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

You may have to look out of state for your vendor of choice - arcade machines down the street from me seem to come from some place in Indiana (not too far away actually) but as a local Pizza Hut seems to be able to keep a couple smaller cabinets and a Cruis'n type (currently Exotica) two-seat game running all the time, the rates may be reasonable enough for you.

Some thoughts: Food might actually help the location. (Restroom would also be a good idea.) Whatever you do, some windex and paper towels will be a must, I'm thinkin'. For the CP + joysticks + buttons in addition to the screens. Get some decent lighting in there too - none of that flickery CFL crap, some white LEDs might be a good choice depending on how big the place is / isn't / how much lighting is acceptable in bringing out detail in dirty carpets.
innerpattern

Post by innerpattern »

If you are really concerned about space both for the doorway and inside the room look at the Jaleco Pony IV. Fit though my 28.5" doorway and we didn't have to take anything apart, not even the CP, relatively light and easy to lug up 2 flights of stairs. 29" rotatable monitor (no fancy mechanism like Egret2 though but it's still easy) Cheap at $400 and excellent condition. Bought from thegameroom.com, give Ken a call.
BankBankNY

Post by BankBankNY »

innerpattern wrote:If you are really concerned about space both for the doorway and inside the room look at the Jaleco Pony IV. Fit though my 28.5" doorway and we didn't have to take anything apart, not even the CP, relatively light and easy to lug up 2 flights of stairs. 29" rotatable monitor (no fancy mechanism like Egret2 though but it's still easy) Cheap at $400 and excellent condition. Bought from thegameroom.com, give Ken a call.
thanks. i think i'm gonna buy astro cities from these guys, heard good things.
kernow

Post by kernow »

BankBankNY wrote: Do you know, approximately, the dimensions of the machine with the CP off?
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/p ... taku/1.jpg

Uhm, why not just have the door widened if its going to become a major problem though.
BankBankNY

Post by BankBankNY »

kernow wrote:
BankBankNY wrote: Do you know, approximately, the dimensions of the machine with the CP off?
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/p ... taku/1.jpg

Uhm, why not just have the door widened if its going to become a major problem though.
tight hallway, impossible to widen
terrybogard

Post by terrybogard »

i baugh a jaleco pony 4 from ken for 400 and my doorway is the same as yours... it fit in no problem.... much thinner than most cabinets.... ken is great