The Shin Megami Everything Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Steven

Re: The Shin Megami Everything Thread

Post by Steven »

Ah yes, Rock/Mega Man, yet another franchise that I have never played because it wasn't on Mac or Genesis aside from being on Sega Channel, which of course nobody had even heard of at the time and probably would not have been available where I lived anyway.

Did they really shit out 6 more or less identical games in 2 years? That's got to be a record. These days it would be called asset flip shovelware and vilified like all of the junk on the Switch eshop. Did nobody in the 80s have standards for this? I wasn't there, so I don't know. At least it took a few years to release that many Metal Slug games!

Anyway I am possibly going to take the risk of trying Vengeance on either Switch and put up with terrible performance or on PC and put up with Denuvo because I really would like a handheld version. Undecided as of now, but the Switch version is cheaper and won't require me to connect to the internet to get permission to play the game.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Steven wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:16 am Did they really shit out 6 more or less identical games in 2 years?
That's only when you count the handheld ports and spin offs like the soccer game. The mainline games are at least about a year apart each.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I was being mean, but it really was relentless at the time. Another game churned out every year. Eight robot masters, some Wily stages, then you fight Wily. Every single time. This one added sliding. This one added the charge cannon. Did either of those make the games any better? Not really, imo...

I remember reading about Mega Man 5 or 6 in an issue of Nintendo Power, and wondering what the point was, exactly. The Super Nintendo had been out for years by that point. Mega Man X was out or almost out. Did people really need that much Mega Man??

There's something quaint about how simple and humble everything was back then, that games like that could get made by the top studios. It's unfathomable this day and age, with the enormous budgets games have now. Nobody wants to be the last major game that releases on a console.

As for Mega Man, I feel Mega Man 9's success kind of gave people the wrong idea. For a nostalgia based property, you can only really come back once. (I kind of feel like the later seasons of Ash vs. Evil Dead suffered from this effect.)

(Vampire Survivors is the current poster child of people making clones while missing the more subtle points of what was cool about it. Compressing long ass games into complete play cycles of 10 or 20 minutes. Arcade style gaming, with meta progression added on. The thing to do isn't to clone a game that already exists and get lost in the crowd, but apply some of its novelty to different genres.)

(As for Mega Man, I kind of feel the same that I do about Mario Kart and most other games. There's no reason to make a smol game in this day and age. There's no reason to make sequels, if they're all the same and will have the same artstyle. Just make one game, and make it the biggest, most obnoxious thing that you can. 8 robot masters? .... why the hell not eighty? One protagonist? Why not five?

If I was one of their suits, I'd be the sicko advocating for Street Fighter X Mega Man X Ghosts n' Gobbos X Breath of Fire X Darkstalkers.)

Steven wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:16 amAnyway I am possibly going to take the risk of trying Vengeance on either Switch and put up with terrible performance or on PC and put up with Denuvo because I really would like a handheld version.

There's always waiting for the Switch 2. It might be backwards compatible, or there might be a re-re-release with even morer added content.

(I don't think there will be, since every re-release necessitates adding a new waifu to the game, and I don't know if they have the time earmarked in the budget for that. Did you guys know Atlus has been running a loss for like a decade, and only have turned a profit recently?)
Steven

Post by Steven »

BryanM wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:16 pmAs for Mega Man, I kind of feel the same that I do about Mario Kart and most other games. There's no reason to make a smol game in this day and age. There's no reason to make sequels, if they're all the same and will have the same artstyle. Just make one game, and make it the biggest, most obnoxious thing that you can. 8 robot masters? .... why the hell not eighty? One protagonist? Why not five?
Maybe this is why Persona 5 is 9001 hours long! Who needs quality when you can have quantity instead?
BryanM wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:16 pm
Steven wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:16 amAnyway I am possibly going to take the risk of trying Vengeance on either Switch and put up with terrible performance or on PC and put up with Denuvo because I really would like a handheld version.

There's always waiting for the Switch 2. It might be backwards compatible, or there might be a re-re-release with even morer added content.

(I don't think there will be, since every re-release necessitates adding a new waifu to the game, and I don't know if they have the time earmarked in the budget for that. Did you guys know Atlus has been running a loss for like a decade, and only have turned a profit recently?)
This is possible. I don't really trust Nintendo to not fuck the thing up somehow, but I might think about it. The real problem is that the Switch version might not even be programmed in a manner that allows it to run better on better hardware. I am tempted to get it on PC because someone will surely mod it and possibly fix any of the broken shit.

I almost got III on PC in the Steam sale for this exact reason, as I was hoping someone would mod the uncompressed soundtrack into the game. There is an uncompressed music mod for it, but it seems there is no complete uncompressed soundtrack or something like that, so some of it had to be recreated by the mod maker, so I decided to pass for now. I am amazed that Atlus didn't bother to have the uncompressed soundtrack for the HD version, even as an optional thing. Given how little space the game takes up and the fact that it's on a fucking Blu-ray, there are no excuses, only incompetence. Same with STILL not having analog movement, which was always weird because the PS2 shipped with an analog controller.