The Shin Megami Everything Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
M.Knight

Re: The Shin Megami Everything Thread

Post by M.Knight »

soprano1 wrote:http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/20/un ... pocalypse/
:lol: :lol: :lol:
What do you think about their reason for it?
Haha, that's not even a first for Atlus. Devil Survivor had a bit of that as well.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
ryu

Post by ryu »

Anyone playing the new SMT IV game and already got the bonuses for having a SMT IV save game?

I'm 10 hours in and still didn't get any. Wondering if I missed them.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

ryu wrote:Anyone playing the new SMT IV game and already got the bonuses for having a SMT IV save game?

I'm 10 hours in and still didn't get any. Wondering if I missed them.
Did you beat the game? The bonuses are just grimoire items and accessories that boost all stats.

IV:A is great, but they made some things harder(the bosses and nerfing abilities by limiting them) and some things way easier(ultra cheap healing spots everywhere).

That Divine Powers music, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5XZzTq_gzI
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
ryu

Post by ryu »

cj iwakura wrote: Did you beat the game? The bonuses are just grimoire items and accessories that boost all stats.
Nope, been putting it off and playing other games. Currently Persona 5.

Good to hear the bonuses don't matter.
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

ryu wrote:
cj iwakura wrote: Did you beat the game? The bonuses are just grimoire items and accessories that boost all stats.

I mean IV vanilla, I don't think you get the bonuses unless it's clear data.
ryu

Post by ryu »

cj iwakura wrote:
ryu wrote:

I mean IV vanilla, I don't think you get the bonuses unless it's clear data.
It's possible that I used a NG+ save file, can't say for sure without checking.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/10/20/sm ... ecember-2/
December 2nd, let's see if they aren't postponing it to February, one year after the JP release.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

The final boss of SMTIV: A is on some DDS2 Satan ish. No buffs or debuffs? You will die, period.

Magaon(kills Smirk) is helpful, too.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Persona 5 delayed to April 4th, but they are adding dual audio to it, which Atlus usually doesn't bother with.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

I don't mind the delay since there's a bunch of stuff (tentatively) coming out early next year, but I am very happy to see them add dual audio. It's getting increasingly ridiculous for Atlus games to not have the option, especially for something as popular as Persona. I was ready to put custom firmware on my PS3 just so I could play the eventual undub.
ryu

Post by ryu »

BulletMagnet wrote:Persona 5 delayed to April 4th, but they are adding dual audio to it, which Atlus usually doesn't bother with.
Shouldn't that piss off fans even more? They could release the game right now or something and add the english voices later by patch
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

IIRC they didn't outright say that the reason for the delay was to add the voice option, so it might be for a completely different reason and the dual audio is just a "sorry about that, have a bonus" addition.
ryu

Post by ryu »

BulletMagnet wrote:IIRC they didn't outright say that the reason for the delay was to add the voice option, so it might be for a completely different reason and the dual audio is just a "sorry about that, have a bonus" addition.
From what I've seen, it seems the delay occurs because there's more lines to voice than they had anticipated...
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Awesome news, glad Atlus USA are dropping their moronic policy of dub only. Surprised it took so long but still.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I seem to recall that there were one or two recent games they've done with the Japanese voice track included, but yeah, definitely a rarity from them; weird that they've taken so long to dip a toe in here, since their fanbase is just the type to be picky (and vocal) about this sort of thing (personally I don't consider it an outright necessity, but nice as an option).
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Some are speculating it's a deliberate delay instigated by Atlus Japan. Based on some of the murmurings I've heard about their past restrictions on Atlus USA, I believe it.

I just hope that's not the case.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Really? I think all the Atlus games I own came with the Japanese voice tracks. Which don't?
Mero

Post by Mero »

Sumez wrote:Really? I think all the Atlus games I own came with the Japanese voice tracks. Which don't?
Catherine, for one.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Sumez wrote:Really? I think all the Atlus games I own came with the Japanese voice tracks. Which don't?
You might be confusing them with NIS, which does include dual audio in most of its releases (in the USA, anyways, presumably Europe too?), but Atlus's stuff (again, in the US at least) is almost always dub-only.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

BulletMagnet wrote:
You might be confusing them with NIS, which does include dual audio in most of its releases (in the USA, anyways, presumably Europe too?), but Atlus's stuff (again, in the US at least) is almost always dub-only.
In Europe, starting from Disgaea 2 on the PS2, all NIS developed games had dual audio. I know the first Disgaea, which i own, didn't have it.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Was just shocked to learn something new about Tokyo Mirage Sessions:

They had the Japanese voice cast re-do lines to match the age and story changes they did to the game.

... Was there even more than maybe ten customers who would have noticed the discrepancy?
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Nintendo put a lot of effort into censoring a game that had zero mainstream appeal. Thankfully the Wii U is easy to hack, so you just have to download a fan restoration patch to undue everything.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I don't think it did so bad for the platform it was on. The thing sold as much in North America as it did in Japan and Canada COMBINED.

Cracking 100,000 in a region is pretty incredible considering it's literally the only jRPG on the U. A 1.7% conversion rate isn't the worst. It'd be a different story if it were released on the 3DS instead - would have moved 700,000 to 1.2 million units with the bigger install base.

If they port it to the Switch, they might even make money on the thing.

It would really help their online user reviews a lot if they'd stop censoring every single fucking thing on their system, though.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

All they did with the censoring was piss off the people most likely to buy it. If you're going to localize a niche game like that, just go all in.
KAI

Post by KAI »

SMT Deep Strange Journey Announced for 3DS
A remake of the original DS game, with new contents, new illustrations (...), a whole new route, etc.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

NICE

I remembered I never finished that game after all this time. I remembered I still have a DS. I better get on it soon.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Devil Survivor, Etrian Odyssey, and now Radiant Historia and Strange Journey? Is Atlus going to remake all of their DS games on a console that can still play the original versions? :lol:

Strange Journey was a really engrossing game with its sci-fi atmosphere and tough bosses, but I am not too keen on this new unfitting character and the de-Kaneko-ified artwork. Since I only finished the Neutral path and am still in the middle of my Chaos playthrough, I'll stick to my DS copy anyway.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

The difficulty is gonna be nerfed to hell. Bar none, SJ is the hardest SMT game ever made.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Interesting. How does it compare to Etrian 1?

I'll wait and see then, If the difficulty is nerfed I'll give it a miss.
Seems like the original with its ballzhardness is something one would wanna experience first.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

@Blinge: worth giving the ost a listen as well. It's Shoji Meguro doing booming orchestral shit, and it's executed just as grandly as his pop, rock, and electronic osts. Guy has insane range.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.