SONY PVM 2950 - Issue with Composite Video

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
philexile

SONY PVM 2950 - Issue with Composite Video

Post by philexile »

Hello,
I have a SONY PVM 2950. Mostly I use video input 3 (RGBs) for RGB input via an adapted SCART signal. I also use the video input 1 (S-Video) for 3D0. While messing around with my old N64 this evening, I noticed an odd issue with the composite in on both the video 1 and 2 inputs. Either of these inputs when using composite results in a black and white only image. I scrolled through the menu settings and I was unable to find anything to turn on/off that would put color back in the image.

Now, this isn't a huge deal for me, since I hardly ever use composite and I'm about to mod my N64 for RGB output. However, I would like to isolate the problem and fix it, especially if it could lead to other things failing on the set.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
neorichieb1971

Re: SONY PVM 2950 - Issue with Composite Video

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Composite uses a PAL/NTSC encoder. Perhaps its isolated to that. RGB bypasses the encoder entirely.

If there is a setting for 50 or 60hz, select 60hz if the console is Japanese or USA, if its European or Australian choose 50hz.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
philexile

Post by philexile »

There is a PAL setting. Same results with it on or off.

Here is the unit's manual if your interested: esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=PVM2950Q

Looking really closely at the picture, I'm wondering if its just really, really desaturated. There look to be hints of color there, just very dull. Why would S-Video work fine, but not composite?

Any thoughts or fix suggestions?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

How many composite consoles/equipment do you have?

Sometimes on the playstation connector if its not sitting right/snug it gets those kind of results.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
philexile

Post by philexile »

I've tried it with a couple different system. Same results. I also used my PVM20M4U to double check and that one didn't have any issues.
viletim

Post by viletim »

The PAL and NTSC N64 use different video leads, so make sure your lead matches the console.

PAL lead with NTSC console = dark, oversaturated picture.
NTSC lead with PAL console = bright, undersaturated picture.

The technical difference is that there's a 75 ohm resistor between composite video and ground in the PAL lead, but none in the NTSC lead.

Also make sure that the monitor's termination switch (if it has one) is set to 75 ohm, not Hi-Z.
philexile

Post by philexile »

Hello,

Both the lead and the consoles match up, NTSC. They came together in a bundle back when I bought it.

I don't think this monitor has a termination switch. Could I be wrong? Maybe something in the service menu?

Thank you again for your help.
philexile

Post by philexile »

Hello,

Well, it seems like the TV is definitely reading any composite signal as PAL and displaying it black and white only. I noticed that when PAL mode is turned off in the menu, the screen flickers a bit, like its having problems syncing. When PAL is turned on, this issue is gone.

The odd thing here is that ALL the consoles I've hooked up are NTSC, so this doesn't make sense. Also, I went into the service menu and saw that 60Hz is selected, not 50Hz.

I'm completely baffled here, can anyone offer any suggestions on how to fix this? It would be much appreciated.

Also, just a side note, the guy I got this from was a Greek video editor. He was in the US on an extended assignment. Maybe he did something with the settings to have it default to PAL? I know he bought this monitor in the states.

Thanks
philexile

Post by philexile »

No suggestions? I thought for sure there would be some 2950 experts out there....

Please?

:mrgreen:
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I'm amazed at how much that bothers you ? How many composite sources do you have ? The RGB mod to the NTSC N64 is done within 5 minutes....
philexile

Post by philexile »

Ha, well, I'm waiting on a SCART cable to come to me from the UK and the RGB mod is more successful with some consoles than others. (Though I do have an early USA N64)

Also, I like things to be working well, in the event I'll need a composite input. Your right though, its not essential, I just want it fixed if I can do it! :)

Any suggestions?
philexile

Post by philexile »

The RGB mod worked great for my N64. If anyone has any thoughts on the composite issue I had, please post regardless. :)

Also, for anyone modding a N64 for RGB - If you get a Gamecube SCART cable, make sure you remove the four capacitors in the cable. Without these removed, the N64 image looks muted and lacks contrast. (Its described as 'dark' on some sites, but its not black, more lacking color highlights)