PVM2030 Alignment/Service Menu?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Deca

PVM2030 Alignment/Service Menu?

Post by Deca »

I recently came into possession of a PVM2030, which I am enjoying quite a bit as a dedicated tate display. I am however having a slight issue with it.

I initially had color issues in tate as I've seen commonly described with the PVM series, and completely inadvertently solved it by setting an unshielded speaker next to it for a moment. I am still having image alignment issues though.

The top and bottom right corners (tate) seem to warp. The top right slants downward and the bottom right slants upward. Has anyone else had this issue? I was wondering if there was a way to access a service menu on the monitor and adjust it. I heard there's a big mess of pots in the back, but I'm not sure how I feel about opening up a CRT and poking around inside of it.

I'd really appreciate any help with this issue. Games are playable on the monitor, it's just annoying having that distortion in the corners.
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki
KBZ

Re: PVM2030 Alignment/Service Menu?

Post by KBZ »

had this same problem. You HAVE to use the pots inside the chasis.

It's a chore, and will take a while since you'll want to make sure the monitor is off when you turn any dial a bit.

When you pull off the case, the orange variable resistors are on the inside of the side pcb panel. I believe you have to unscrew it, then unplug a few molex connectors so you can pull the pcb out enough to reach the dials. They are small, orange, and labelled.

The pincushion one should do the trick. I THINK its labebeld pin. c or something. Turn it a bit, put the monitor back together, check it out. You'll either have turned it a bit in the wrong or right direction so remember which way you turned it!

Then you keep going along till its perfect. Again, make sure the monitor is off. A friend from the boards was helping me with mine while it was on and he got a good shock. Not funny.... well maybe a little funny. Just make sure it's off.

Best of luck! It's a great monitor otherwise. Miss mine for sure.
=/
Deca

Post by Deca »

Thanks for the info, I'll probably just put up with it for the moment since I don't really have a great work area or tools available to me right now, but first chance I get I'll see what I can do with it.

Any idea what may have caused the image to go out of alignment to begin with?

EDIT: Seems my color fix wasn't as permanent as I had hoped it might be. Any ideas for that? I saw some involving leaving it powered up horizontally for like 30 minutes and then rotating it, and another that involved unplugging every time it was powered down. Perhaps there's a better/more permanent/less inconvenient method?

As long as I leave the speaker next to the left side of the screen it looks great, didn't stay when I took it away this time though. I'm a little hesitant to leave it there for fear of permanent damage.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

I had a little bit of discolouration in the top left corner (tate). But not much.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/k1 ... alight.jpg

so I dunno, tried leaving it on its side while off and hitting the degauss button? Just make sure you wait a few minutes in between degaussing, and only degauss while it's off.
=/
Deca

Post by Deca »

Is it a bad idea to just leave a speaker next to the screen like that? It fixes the problem completely if I put it at the proper angle, I'm just worried about messing something up.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

well, it's a general no no. But if degaussing doesn't work..... I dunno. Not familiar with the theory of how the magnet affects the monitor.
=/
Deca

Post by Deca »

I noticed in your picture your monitor is angled back a bit. Mine is sitting flat on a table, wonder if that has anything to do with it.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

oh, yes it does! try it out.

I've heard of people testing arcade monitors standing straight up and getting bad discolouration until it was angled the way it would be in a cab.
=/
Deca

Post by Deca »

Ahh, hopeffully this will solve everything! Need to figure out how to do it, I'm a bit leery of just propping up the front and putting all that weight on the back of the frame.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

well, I used a phonebook underneath it. But then it sort of rested against the wall so it wasn't exactly going anywhere soon.
=/
Deca

Post by Deca »

Well I've had it propped up with some towels for a while now, and still having discoloration issues on the middle left of the screen...It seemed to possibly get very slightly better when it was tilted up a bit, to tilt it far enough that they're completely gone puts it at a really extreme angle that isn't particularly conducive to playing anything.