Movies you've just watched

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
cools

Re: Movies you've just watched

Post by cools »

The book had sequences even I found hard going.

Just watched A Serbian Film, based on all the reviews I can find. I disagree with their "you don't want to watch this" sentiment, but it is beautiful apart from the scenes that are going to make its name.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I watched Grown-Ups. 2/5 because of that scene with "the fixing of the car". This is the comedy equivalent of The Expendables. Put lots of comedy stars in a poorly written coming-together comedy.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
cools

Post by cools »

Just finished the second of todays films: Mysterious Skin.

10/10. The most powerful piece of fiction I've ever seen. Nothing graphic, but an utterly flawless portrayal of private tragedy that slowly unfolds over the course of the movie. Not uplifting, not positive, no happy ending. Perfect drama? Yes.
junkeR

Post by junkeR »

La Femme Nikita
Born on the Fourth of July
Righteous Kill
drauch

Post by drauch »

Mrs. Doubtfire on tv...
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
drauch

Post by drauch »

Withnail and I last night. Pretty funny/sad.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Watched "Rob Zombie's The Haunted World of El Super Beasto" flick. This is just pure crazy and demented animation at it's twisted best. Something like out of a typical Twisted Spike & Mike's Festival of Animation screening except cranked up to the max. Film Roman (whom does the animation for the Simpsons TV series) did the animation for this film. Lots of cameo voiceovers from famous Hollywood celebrities and cameo appearances from horror films of yesteryear -- including a scene that parodies the chestburster scene from the 1979 Alien film. Lots of T&A gags as well. Plently of animated character extras end up dying as well.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
drauch

Post by drauch »

Showdown in little Tokyo. Dolph is the MAN.
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

Just walked out of The Last Exorcism.

Piece of shit.
lol
1up

Post by 1up »

watched Blade Runner Final Cut yesterday. 2nd viewing of that movie ever. first time I saw it was almost 20 years ago. awesome movie and spectacular in HD.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Monsters Vs. Aliens 4/5.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Shocky

Post by Shocky »

I've been busy watching movies. Here are some of the highlights of late:

Alien vs. Ninja 3,5/5 (has a scene with some ninja-zombies chanting "fuck you" in Engrish!)
Mutant Girls Squad 3,5/5 (has a scene with mutant girl raping men with her mutant SNOUT!)
Gothic & Lolita Psycho 2/5 (has a.. has a.. well.. it kind of sucked)
Spacehunter 5/5 (megathanks to all shmuppers who recommended this gem! would give a kidney to see the original 3D version)
Galaxy of Terror 6/5

Step-Up 3D 4/5 (laugh all you want.. it's still great. don't mess with "KID DARKNESS" :D)
Splice 4/5 (why didn't anyone tell me it's so good and downright scary? greetings from uncanny valley)
Monsters 3,5/5 (really good low-budget-but-high-budget-looking monster movie in the style of District 9)
L'autre monde 4/5 (interesting French thriller where a guy goes to an internet virtual world to stalk this hot chick)
Red White & Blue 5/5 (super-sick and masterfully directed drama-into-gorefest)

yeah.. Mysterious Skin IS a masterpiece. And so is Hausu
Before Pope John Paul died he decreed that Aliens were also GOD's creatures and we should treat them with respect.

drauch

Post by drauch »

I've always wanted to see Galaxy of Terror but I never had the chance. The poster was so cool.
Shocky

Post by Shocky »

drauch wrote:I've always wanted to see Galaxy of Terror but I never had the chance. The poster was so cool.
Yeah, the poster is really something! As a kid I always feared and respected the vhs cover in video rental stores, that, and the cover of Forbidden World, which is almost as good a movie (at least it was back then). Now they released blu-rays of both these masterpieces of sick and weird space horror! Galaxy of Terror's effects still look great, and you have to respect a movie that has given the name to such an ahem.. "interesting" internet site as http://www.galaxy-of-terror.com ! Haven't watched Forbidden World yet, don't own a region free blu-ray player... fuck region coding :(
Before Pope John Paul died he decreed that Aliens were also GOD's creatures and we should treat them with respect.

drauch

Post by drauch »

On BluRay? Wowsers, I never even realized it went to DVD officially. I thought boots were always just floating around. Never got to see Forbidden Planet as well... :oops:
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Maniac Cop.

I went there.

It was one of those 80's movie's I saw trailers and video cases of, but never watched. It was pretty much as expected, although the Sam Raimi cameo was pretty interesting and Bruce Campbell ftw.

Tonight: Maniac Cop 2.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

drauch

Post by drauch »

Skykid wrote:Maniac Cop.

I went there.

It was one of those 80's movie's I saw trailers and video cases of, but never watched. It was pretty much as expected, although the Sam Raimi cameo was pretty interesting and Bruce Campbell ftw.

Maniac Cop rules! Robert Z'Dar has the biggest chin EVER.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Watched the KoF movie the other night. Terrible movie, as expected, but it has it's moments. Like Terry beating up alternate-universe hobos with a trash bag.
1up

Post by 1up »

watched The Foot Fist Way yesterday after it being mentioned in the Eastbound and down thread.

It was a funny movie but not THAT funny. It felt kinda like Napoleon dynamite, but the humor didnt really get to me and the horrible acting, especially by the lead characters wife, put me off a little.

maybe its one of those movies I have to rewatch to appreciate?
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

drauch wrote:

I went there.

Maniac Cop rules! Robert Z'Dar has the biggest chin EVER.
Yeah, he does. He's in Tango & Cash too right?
drunkninja24 wrote:Watched the KoF movie the other night. Terrible movie, as expected, but it has it's moments. Like Terry beating up alternate-universe hobos with a trash bag.
Oh shit, is that out already? I have got to get some mates over to watch that, it looks like two hours of pure comedy gold.

jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

gleaming the cube

if you dont know you better ask somebody :wink:

this was one of those films i used to rent from the video store all the time as a kid.....i thought it was the coolest!

just as good now, and i hadnt seen it in probably close to 15 years....and my g/f had never seen it

i was smiling ear to ear the whole time :lol:

funny too because i recognized a bunch of peeps i wouldnt have known then, like a young tony hawk and several other pro skateboarders...and the fact that its pretty obvious in parts that it is tony hawk (dressed to look like christian slater) skating, and there is some sequences where its rodney mullen dressed as slater( the flat land tricks and stuff)

awesome flick...and i had forgotten how 'awesome' the story was

if you havent seen this, go see it now!!

and before you post, you are wrong skykid :wink: :lol:

also

I went there.

dont watch the 3rd one though....its very bad!!! and that saying something coming from me :wink:
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Wat? Trying to deny me an 80's movie with Christian Slater about skateboarding? Looks like something I have to watch, no two ways about it. :)

Check out that awesome hair too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yviIgIDxlwc

(Warning: Don't watch the trailer if you don't want to know the entire story. :roll: )

Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Okay, in my quest to see 80's movies that slipped me by:

Heathers:

What a pile of shit. It's intriguing for twenty minutes and then lapses into real garbage. Why the hell this has a fan following is beyond me, it's a right load of drivel.

Running Scared:

This is more like it! Gritty 80's cop buddy movie with Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines, and all kinds of awesome fun. This was exactly what the doctor ordered, it made me smile all the way through. Whatever happened to buddy movies (I mean proper ones, where guys drink in bars, chat up chicks, shoot the place up and then smoke cigars?)

I'm sure that Chicago state building at the end is the same one from the end of Rush Hour too?

xris

Post by xris »

Running Scared is really a top tier buddy cop film. They do such a great job at just being manly, when you really do not expect it coming from them. They run and gun, destroy their car, and bed women at night. This is such a great film to watch.
I also agree that Heathers is over rated, it's kind of an icky movie. Like it's the wrong kind of dirty and boring at the same time. They really should show it to kids in school to scare them away from those activities.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Really hated Heathers that much? Well fuck me gently with a chainsaw, then.
DEL

Post by DEL »

The Expendables. Yup the script was atrocious. 'Remember that at Christmas!' :?
Sly got his timing wrong. Statham swallowed his words as usual (I still like his stuff tho...despite what Skykid thinks). The team didn't gel.
On the plus side the violence was nice, the strafing run wasn't bad and Sly's truck's V8 sounded good.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

drauch wrote:Really hated Heathers that much? Well fuck me gently with a chainsaw, then.
"I love my dead gay son!"

I watched the lovely Up In The Air last night. 5/5 and perhaps a new favorite.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

drauch wrote:Really hated Heathers that much? Well fuck me gently with a chainsaw, then.
Hate's a strong word. I wouldn't watch it ever again though, put it that way. It's just crappy, it's a film that doesn't know what it wants to be and can't keep a grip on itself with regard to believability. I know it's darkly comic (or it's meant to be at least) but what starts out quite subtly quickly descends into silly murders without motive and no real reason for Ryder to keep taking part.
It had an idea in there, but it was poorly put together imo.

And any fool who reads into that shit as 'deep' needs a better education.

Running Scared though! It was like a buddy movie on the Bare Knuckle set. Fucking awesome. I loved that chase down the L, and Billy Crystal's character had a Battlzone cab in his apartment. Win. :)

Casey120

Post by Casey120 »

Kickass , didn't know what to expect but i turned out to be quite a comedy bloodbath , I really liked this movie . 8/10
The Expendables , no story to speak of and all action , i enjoyed it anyways :mrgreen: 7/10
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Watched Zombieland last night and really enjoyed it. Lots of fun, great lots of pop culture referencing and Bill Murray (a king among kings.)
Would definitely recommend it. It's above the usual Hollywood zombie shit in that it's actually amusing and well written, but the head popping is just as good.