Movies you've just watched

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Zen
Banned User

Re: Movies you've just watched

Post by Zen »

Skykid wrote:So who's seen Black Panther?

Because on Twitter people are absolutely creaming their fucking knickers over how it's the best film they've ever seen and how it should win oscars, how it's a "cultural milestone" and how they're going back for a fourth viewing.

But a friend back in the U.K. saw it and just sent me this message:

"On another note - black panther is fucking shite. Apparently you're racist if you criticise it. I guess that makes me racist then. It's dreadful."

Not sure what the world is coming to when anyone of any creed or colour considers anything MCU related to qualify as "art" or a "cultural milestone"; DaVinci is turning in his grave. That's not to say I won't necessarily enjoy it personally - I haven't had an opportunity to see it yet - but I do find it disturbing that you can't openly criticize a movie with an all black cast for film related faults (acting, casting, scripting, directing etc) without being snubbed as a racist.
God-tier Disney/Marvel marketing.

If they had their PR department writing the actual film scripts, they might be worth watching.
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

drauch wrote:The babest. In her defense, she basically just did softcore and sexploitation stuff outside of Sex & Fury and Thriller/They Call Her One Eye. Still active on Facebook, too! :mrgreen:

Man, wish I had more time. Haven't watched many movies this past year and the current. All this talk of Vengeance is Mine and I own two copies of the film and an Imamura box set I still haven't dove into. Ah, the hobby struggle!
Same here, have stacks of DVD's and Blurays I yet have seen. If I do watch anything it's usually on the tablet on Netflix which usually disappoint me.
Last thing I watched was The Cloverfield Paradox and oh my it was just awful.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Skykid wrote:So who's seen Black Panther?

Because on Twitter people are absolutely creaming their fucking knickers over how it's the best film they've ever seen and how it should win oscars, how it's a "cultural milestone" and how they're going back for a fourth viewing.

But a friend back in the U.K. saw it and just sent me this message:

"On another note - black panther is fucking shite. Apparently you're racist if you criticise it. I guess that makes me racist then. It's dreadful."

Not sure what the world is coming to when anyone of any creed or colour considers anything MCU related to qualify as "art" or a "cultural milestone"; DaVinci is turning in his grave. That's not to say I won't necessarily enjoy it personally - I haven't had an opportunity to see it yet - but I do find it disturbing that you can't openly criticize a movie with an all black cast for film related faults (acting, casting, scripting, directing etc) without being snubbed as a racist.
While I look forward to seeing it (you know why) I think this nails it: https://youtu.be/RSe1tbWicys
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I was annoyed that most of the user reviews (both positive and negative) of Black Panther and Rotten Tomatoes were from people who haven't seen the movie and RT doesn't even have their usual "super reviewer" reviews. From what I heard of the movie (no thanks for user reviews from RT or Metacritic), I plan to see it, but it's frustrating.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

emphatic wrote:While I look forward to seeing it (you know why) I think this nails it: https://youtu.be/RSe1tbWicys
Yeah, if I want an objective review of a film with a politically charged marketing campaign, I'm not going to go looking for it from a guy on the alt-right (excuse me, I mean a "classical liberal"), especially one who punctuates his logic by giving his opponents cartoon voices.

This guy nails it. His Suicide Squad review is pretty good too.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I liked the Black Panther character in comics, the Avengers Earth Mightiest Heroes, and in Captain America Civil War and I'm disappointed that people are making a stupid political debate out of a movie that sounds like it's true to the comic character.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Black Panther.

I thought I was watching the Lion King at some points. Some real creativity here, its like the tribes from Avatar were on Earth this whole time but with super futuristic technologies cloaked under an umbrella of poor tribal people.

It does fail to grip you throughout though. Some odd casting mixing Americans and British together. In one case an Englishman from Hampshire (Martin Freeman) plays as an ex USA jet fighter pilot. You'll recognize someone from Black Mirror, someone from Walking dead etc. Its a real mixed cast.

I believe the movie would have worked better if the end was 25 minutes before the end. People in the cinema were getting their phones out about half way through so the attention wasn't really that gripping. The movie seemed to have no show down at the end, giving the impression the budget wasn't on the same scale as the Avengers.

Overall its a nice watch, some nice ideas and creativity. But it certainly isn't going to rock your world.

6.5/10.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Mischief Maker wrote:
emphatic wrote:While I look forward to seeing it (you know why) I think this nails it: https://youtu.be/RSe1tbWicys
Yeah, if I want an objective review of a film with a politically charged marketing campaign, I'm not going to go looking for it from a guy on the alt-right (excuse me, I mean a "classical liberal"), especially one who punctuates his logic by giving his opponents cartoon voices.

This guy nails it. His Suicide Squad review is pretty good too.
They were both hilarious and incredibly spot on. Will bookmark that guy's channel.

I disagree Paul Joseph Watson is "alt-right" - if we start doing that then we go down the road of lumping anyone on the right with outspoken anti-left views as being in the same bag. I do find he occasionally talks some total shit and is often unnecessarily vitriolic, but he also makes some good points and punches a few holes in the right places from time to time. I appreciate his honesty even if I don't always agree with him.

For what it's worth his take on Black Panther being irritatingly pedestaled for no obvious reason mirrors exactly what I've seen trending on social media today. When people start saying the script should win an Oscar, well you know the world is totally fucked.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm ok with comic book movies just being comic book movies. I don't need them to be realistic or politically correct. The movie plot sounds similar to the original comic story for Black Panther. I don't remember the Black Panther arc in Earth's Mightiest Heroes getting such disgusting PR.
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Einer nach dem anderen (2014) - Hans Petter Moland

Different editing/structure/score and this could have been great.

Violent, comic, mercifully politically incorrect.
It has some inspired shots, which had me pausing the film just to admire them.

The score is all over the place. The lead villain does not have the physical instrument to carry off the part and the gimmick of death-notices/cards, felt forced.

On the plus side , its got Stellan Skarsgård and Bruno Ganz.
It also features one of the cheekiest man on woman punches on film.

Worth a watch.

3000 Miles to Graceland (2001) - Demian Lichtenstein

Shite basically but as its got Kurt Russell in full Elvis costume, I feel unable to put the boot in fully. Whaddya gonna do :wink:

blackoak

Post by blackoak »

I remember 3000 Miles to Graceland having an intriguing opening, only to rapidly descend into the reveling in violence and ugliness that Tarantino popularized. It does contain this brilliant scene tho, hahaha
Last edited by blackoak on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Skykid wrote:I disagree Paul Joseph Watson is "alt-right" - if we start doing that then we go down the road of lumping anyone on the right with outspoken anti-left views as being in the same bag. I do find he occasionally talks some total shit and is often unnecessarily vitriolic, but he also makes some good points and punches a few holes in the right places from time to time. I appreciate his honesty even if I don't always agree with him.
That's quite a sober view, and I fully agree on everything you stated. Some other people would just say that when he's wrong, he's wrong and when he's right, he's alt-right.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Skykid wrote:Black Panther being irritatingly pedestaled for no obvious reason
"No obvious reason?" Really? C'mon!

I'm gonna throw the words of the guy I just recommended back in his face. As a grown-up movie, Black Panther is more Marvel warmed-over mediocrity. But a kid's movie, yes! I will say it's an important film.

In a cinematic landscape where black characters are always criminals, victims, or token friends, can you name ANY other movie, fantasy or otherwise, that's depicted such a positive vision of a society run entirely by Africans? Even utopian Star Trek TNG failed horribly at that. 12 years a slave is indisputably a better film in every aspect, but what 6-year-old kid is going to be playing with a Solomon Northup action figure? Role models aren't just people, Richard Pryor explained the value of this way back in 1982.

Yes, Disney is a soulless corporation that's cynically using social justice as a marketing hook. As if other forms of marketing are more honorable? Is the art world going to be harmed if Black Panther makes more money than Transformers, featuring positive role model Jazz?
Spoiler
And yes, I know Paul Joseph Watson puts himself in that group of people like Sam Harris, Dave Rubin, and Jordan Peterson that imply alt-right arguments while being careful not to fully commit to them, even claiming to be somehow on the left. That's what I was referring to when calling him a "classical liberal" in sneer quotes. They're called the "alt-light" and thanks to the Kochs and the Mercers it's a profitable gig. How do you think the College Republicans are always able to pay thousands of dollars for youtubers and twitter trolls to give talks at their campuses? Bake sales?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Mischief Maker wrote:
Skykid wrote:Black Panther being irritatingly pedestaled for no obvious reason
"No obvious reason?" Really? C'mon!

I'm gonna throw the words of the guy I just recommended back in his face. As a grown-up movie, Black Panther is more Marvel warmed-over mediocrity. But a kid's movie, yes! I will say it's an important film.

In a cinematic landscape where black characters are always criminals, victims, or token friends, can you name ANY other movie, fantasy or otherwise, that's depicted such a positive vision of a society run entirely by Africans? Even utopian Star Trek TNG failed horribly at that. 12 years a slave is indisputably a better film in every aspect, but what 6-year-old kid is going to be playing with a Solomon Northup action figure? Richard Pryor explained the value of this way back in 1982.

Yes, Disney is a soulless corporation that's cynically using social justice as a marketing hook. As if other forms of marketing are more honorable? Is the art world going to be harmed if Black Panther makes more money than Transformers, featuring positive role model Jazz?
Spoiler
And yes, I know Paul Joseph Watson puts himself in that group of people like Sam Harris, Dave Rubin, and Jordan Peterson that imply alt-right arguments while being careful not to fully commit to them, even claiming to be somehow on the left. That's what I was referring to when calling him a "classical liberal" in sneer quotes. They're called the "alt-light" and thanks to the Kochs and the Mercers it's a profitable gig. How do you think the College Republicans are always able to pay thousands of dollars for youtubers and twitter trolls to give talks at their campuses? Bake sales?
I don't think you get what I've been saying here. The fact it's an all black cast in a big budget blockbuster superhero bonanza isn't lost on me; what's bothering me is people saying the quality of the movie is far beyond its actual worth based solely on identity politics, and people who criticize it as being racist - which is absurd. If it's as Neorichie and others have claimed - distinctly average MCU dross - then it has every right to be labeled as such.

Also, if you think Jordan Peterson is implying alt-right arguments either you haven't got all your dogs barking or you haven't watched enough of his lectures and interviews to know that as a a professor of psychology he approaches topics of identity politics and similar from the perspective of his trade, and he is much closer to center left politically.

I also don't think because Dave Ruben, Sam Harris or the likes of Milo the provocateur or Ben Shapiro voice opposing views to leftist ideologies automatically makes them in line with alt-right either. Views are views, politics is politics. These people are airing voices and opinion - that doesn't make them Nazis.

For example, Sam Harris is against the Muslim faith in the extreme, but does that qualify a person automatically as a white supremacist? Of course not. You can be generally liberal and still disagree wth something at the same time.

At the moment the views and methods of the extreme left are far more fascistic in nature than the arguments of media popular liberal right wingers because they won't permit the opposition to have a voice and they condemn that opposition for even attempting to speak. Black Panther is case in point: you aren't allowed to criticize it on the very basis that to do so is somehow based in racial prejudice.

Personally I believe the left have some fair arguments. I personally think some of Trump's immigration policies are appalling and I can't believe they're deporting families who have lived in the US for over 20 years. But the way the radical left is attempting to silence any opposing viewpoints is dangerous.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Mischief Maker wrote:Yes, Disney is a soulless corporation that's cynically using social justice as a marketing hook. As if other forms of marketing are more honorable?
It's not about being honorable, it's that it deftly puts the movie beyond all criticism. That includes little "c" criticism like aesthetics and acting, and big "C" criticism of the themes (colonialism, "white supremacy", etc).

I agree Disney is just chasing dollars, but if you were a marketing exec, you'd be a fool not to recognize the vast potential of the social justice movement for vibranium-strength marketing. Hence unholy but inevitable union. Clearly Disney has learned from Sony's failures with GB2016, and not discredited the venture with a movie so bad even the social justice halo couldn't save it.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
boagman

Post by boagman »

I think that the "Lion King" comparison is more than a bit fair.

Even so, I enjoyed the entertainment of the thing. I'd watch it again for free in the future, but I'm not going to see it again. I skipped "Dr. Strange" and "Thor: Ragnarok", and this one wasn't too confusing at all in the grand scheme of things.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The original Black Panther came before the Lion King, though with Disney owning Marvel, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some references.
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

blackoak wrote: It's not about being honorable, it's that it deftly puts the movie beyond all criticism. That includes little "c" criticism like aesthetics and acting, and big "C" criticism of the themes (colonialism, "white supremacy", etc).
Nice observation, but it only applies to the apparently racism-charged atmosphere of USA.
From a distance, it's fairly obvious that being black doesn't make the cast and the director particularly qualified for telling an "African" story.

For example, mixing English and American accents is a minor casting problem when Wakandan characters are as ethnically random as the unforgivable Jews and Egyptians of Exodus: Gods and Kings; since they are all sufficiently black they are evidently considered good enough for the "African-American" intended audience.

Such an audience is expected to:
  • Care about hatred and politics, not factual economic and social mechanisms; noticing the careful attention for the bad parts of Oakland but not noticing that Wakanda cannot be a rich country without trading with someone, nor a technologically advanced country without a high tech culture.
  • Ignore the reality of African people and life and assume that it's all wilderness, huts and pretty people in colorful costumes. Wars are made with spears and shields, emigrants don't exist, Islamist fanatics are not relevant because they are all evil rich Arabs.
  • Ignore diversity. Isn't everybody African? Shouldn't they rally together implicitly? How can there be historical issues and cultural rifts, if they are all brothers?
    The costumes in Black Panther, although individually good to great, are very bad, even offensive, because they are a pastiche of features and styles from all over a whole continent, applied nonsensically (e.g. mountain people living in snow are among the most scantily dressed Wakandans) to an inappropriate context (there should be a recognizable Wakandan style, and it should be subtle and modern).
There seems to be an intention to make Wakanda an "archetipal" generic African nation, but it causes an awful lot of damage.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Mischief Maker wrote:But a kid's movie, yes! I will say it's an important film.

In a cinematic landscape where black characters are always criminals, victims, or token friends, can you name ANY other movie, fantasy or otherwise, that's depicted such a positive vision of a society run entirely by Africans?
Wakanda is a made up country.

boagman wrote:I skipped "Dr. Strange" and "Thor: Ragnarok"
The two MCU movies that stick out the most from the rest. Very funny too.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Can we not bring fucking politics in the movies thread?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Xyga wrote:Can we not bring fucking politics in the movies thread?
+1
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

Unfortunately, it's politics who wants to participate. Sometimes there are genuinely political concerns behind the style, history and reception of a movie; the reasons for the blind enthusiasm about Black Panther of the African-American subculture (1) and some of its strange artistic choices are an example.

(1) I assume there are also right-wing racist hatemongers doing their worst to disparage Black Panther, but fortunately I don't need to care about them.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

The Gendarme of Saint-Tropez (1964)
Great French comedy from the 60's about a policeman and his teenage daughter moving from rural France to the very liberal seaside town of Saint-Tropez. Unfortunately, some of the humour gets lost in translation for non-French viewers, or at least someone who relies on subtitles only.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Sinful

Post by Sinful »

Mischief Maker wrote:Yes, Disney is a soulless corporation
Always has been.

Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Ixmucane2 wrote:
Unfortunately, it's politics who wants to participate. Sometimes there are genuinely political concerns behind the style, history and reception of a movie; the reasons for the blind enthusiasm about Black Panther of the African-American subculture (1) and some of its strange artistic choices are an example.

(1) I assume there are also right-wing racist hatemongers doing their worst to disparage Black Panther, but fortunately I don't need to care about them.
Fuck that you don't have to assume we know where this is going, create a new shitty inflammatory social/political thread here in the off-topic section then, this movies thread is general, good and almost unsoiled so far, it doesn't deserve that treatment.
What? xxx1993 can make one about the next M:I but stupid shit controversy over a film because muh blacks muh leftists muh Peterson can't have its own?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I wish more Black Panther reviews would compare it to the 60s and 70s comic book instead of bringing anger and politics into the mix.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Politics is a struggle over who lives and dies, and who gets how much of the money.

The culture war is not politics. It's a distraction from politics.
boagman

Post by boagman »

emphatic wrote:
boagman wrote:I skipped "Dr. Strange" and "Thor: Ragnarok"
The two MCU movies that stick out the most from the rest. Very funny too.
It's not that I don't want to see them, but I thought that I'd be able to watch them for free on the cable movie channels by now, at least in the case of Strange. STARZ usually has all of these things, I thought.
BIL

Post by BIL »

You can watch Uganda's #1 Super Action Movie Who Killed Captain Alex for free right now. :o

The movie is on!

Spoiler

Super Mafia!

Spoiler

Welcome to Dangerous Zone!

I suggest following it up with Irish kickboxing revenge spectacular Fatal Deviation, and then for a change of pace, Burgerland tinseltown horror sendup Hollywood Mortuary! BOOM! An evening of great world cinema, best enjoyed with alcohol and/or friends! And you won't pay a dime to some thieving Disney cunts who'd just wipe their asses with your money anyway (edit: after changing it for the paper equivalent!) Image
Last edited by BIL on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Black Panther is worth a watch. The draw of the movie throughout isn't the theme of a black guy kicking ass. It's about the unique scenario where Wakanda could rule the earth. Unfortunately this avenue wasn't explored in the movie. The movie has a bit of heart though and i for one like movies with heart. You can't say the same about Star Wars or many of the other Disney outings.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.