Movies you've just watched

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
emphatic

Re: Movies you've just watched

Post by emphatic »

Iron Man 2. I give this 5/5 as I consider this what an action flick should be all about. Lovely tongue in cheek stuff, perfectly acted villain by Mr. Rourke and I loved the action scenes. The total opposite of The Expendables. 8) Sure, the suitcase Iron Man suite was pretty corny, but I'm sure there's a comic book explanation for it.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Skykid wrote:
CMoon wrote:Just watched The Road.
I haven't read the book but I really liked the movie. It was handled really well I thought.
I think it goes without saying that the book is better, but I wanted to mention it here because if you like the movie you SHOULD read the book.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

CMoon wrote:
Skykid wrote:
CMoon wrote:Just watched The Road.
I haven't read the book but I really liked the movie. It was handled really well I thought.
I think it goes without saying that the book is better, but I wanted to mention it here because if you like the movie you SHOULD read the book.
It's theme (bleak sci-fi type stuff) is right up my street. I'm actually a little pissed off I didn't read the book first now. :?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Kick ASS.

Suprisingly unlike Hollywood in every respect. I enjoyed the fighting a lot. It kind of puts a lot of this summers movies to shame with their shoddy camera work. If an 11 year old girl can perform ninja defying stunts then why can't the expendables/Karate Kid show a little professionalism in the action camera work?

Overall 8/10.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

The Lovely Bones. I give this 4/5

Peter Jackson is visually very talented, the actors are very good, but it takes itself way too serious sometimes, bordering on accidental comedy. It's very close to being a 1/5 but manages barely. Just like the LOTR movies.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Mero wrote:I saw Maniac a few days ago. Not really a relentless slash-fest as such, it has a kind of 'art house' quality to it at times. It was OK.
Aye, yeah Maniac is a good flick. Too bad Spinell had to die, as the ice cream truck driver sequel would have been amazing.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
drauch

Post by drauch »

Rewatched Fargo. Grood stuff.
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Kick ASS.

Suprisingly unlike Hollywood in every respect. I enjoyed the fighting a lot. It kind of puts a lot of this summers movies to shame with their shoddy camera work. If an 11 year old girl can perform ninja defying stunts then why can't the expendables/Karate Kid show a little professionalism in the action camera work?

Overall 8/10.
I liked the beginning of this movie when they were lampooning every other Comic book movie left and right, but later on just became a turn off for me since of course it had a good ending. Would be too much to expect if he just died realistically at some point though, so the second half seemed like typical Hollywood. Fun watch nonetheless
drauch

Post by drauch »

Just watched Duel for the first time. I'm kinda drunk, but it was pretty good.
1up

Post by 1up »

watched Star Wars the Clone Wars yesterday. It was entertaining but nothing special. I did like the artstyle a lot :)
cools

Post by cools »

EPS21 wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:Kick ASS.

Overall 8/10.
I liked the beginning of this movie when they were lampooning every other Comic book movie left and right, but later on just became a turn off for me since of course it had a good ending. Would be too much to expect if he just died realistically at some point though, so the second half seemed like typical Hollywood. Fun watch nonetheless
Read the comic book. The film deviates specifically on the ending.
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

I've just watched House. No, not the TV series. No, not the 80s US horror movie series. This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0NWIxl2VJk

Like I always say, a good story is 10% concept and 90% execution, and House is a perfect example. 100 directors could make a film from Dan O'Bannon's Star Beast script, but only Ridley Scott would make Alien. Likewise, at least a hundred directors must have made a film about a group of teenage girls meeting a sticky end in a haunted house, but only Nobuhiko Obayashi could make House. So much of modern Japanese cinema is shot with all the artistic merit of the average Youtuber's vlog, but not this film. And it's weird. Very, very weird. I highly recommend it.

Criterion are releasing it shortly in the US on DVD and Blu-ray. The version I bought is the Eureka ~ Masters of Cinema UK release, which is only available on DVD, but is a quality transfer regardless.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Daigohji wrote:I've just watched House. No, not the TV series. No, not the 80s US horror movie series. This:

Like I always say, a good story is 10% concept and 90% execution, and House is a perfect example. 100 directors could make a film from Dan O'Bannon's Star Beast script, but only Ridley Scott would make Alien. Likewise, at least a hundred directors must have made a film about a group of teenage girls meeting a sticky end in a haunted house, but only Nobuhiko Obayashi could make House. So much of modern Japanese cinema is shot with all the artistic merit of the average Youtuber's vlog, but not this film. And it's weird. Very, very weird. I highly recommend it.

Criterion are releasing it shortly in the US on DVD and Blu-ray. The version I bought is the Eureka ~ Masters of Cinema UK release, which is only available on DVD, but is a quality transfer regardless.
Thanks for the heads up.. looks good. Will get on blu ray though to save double dipping (if its that good).
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Daigohji wrote:So much of modern Japanese cinema is shot with all the artistic merit of the average Youtuber's blog
Quoted for truth.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Daigohji wrote:I've just watched House. No, not the TV series. No, not the 80s US horror movie series. This:

Ah yes, this is the 1977 theatrical version of House with the trippy ending credits. It was shown in it's entirety in 16:9 aspect ratio format on the IFC channel some time back. Cool to learn that it's being properly released on DVD and Blu-Ray formats for the U.S. marketbase. I like how some of the Japanese models are portrayed with that soft glow lense effect in the very last film segment.

When is the proper U.S. release date for it?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:When is the proper U.S. release date for it?
It was originally supposed to be this month, but it's currently slated for 26th October for DVD and Blu-ray.
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:When is the proper U.S. release date for it?
It was originally supposed to be this month, but it's currently slated for 26th October for DVD and Blu-ray.
neorichieb1971 wrote:Will get on blu ray though to save double dipping (if its that good).
Bear in mind that every US Criterion Blu-ray to date has been region locked, so you'll need an all-region or dedicated region A player. Considering how many US Blu-ray discs are region-free, I find this pretty frustrating, especially since the film is unlikely to sell well enough in the UK for Eureka to invest in a Blu-ray version.
drauch

Post by drauch »

The 80's horror film House is super awesome, regardless.

Just watched rock rock rock rock Rock N' Roll Highschool.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:I like how some of the Japanese models are portrayed with that soft glow lense effect in the very last film segment.
The old vaseline-on-the-lens trick?
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

Watched Hubble in a Imax theater yesterday at Oregon Museum of Science and Industry.
:P
lol
TLB

Post by TLB »

Just re-watched American Psycho. I love that movie so much. So, so much. It's my most quotable movie. Period. Just about anything Christian Bale says in this movie is quotable.

I have to go return some videotapes.
drauch

Post by drauch »

DIE YUPPIE SCUM.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Daigohji wrote:I've just watched House.
Beaten to the punch on this. It's been on my wish list on amazon since I heard it was getting released. Glad to see it get some attention here.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
SHMUP sale page.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Dear CMoon,

Is you're signature from Twin Peaks? If so, I am at like episode 18 and it is the best.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

drauch wrote:Dear CMoon,

Is you're signature from Twin Peaks? If so, I am at like episode 18 and it is the best.
Yes, Twin Peaks. I have mixed feelings about the series as a whole, but some of my favorite moments are from it.
SHMUP sale page.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Oh god, I wrote your as "you're". I apologize.

Yeah, I kind of worship/idolize FBI Agent Dale Cooper. I wish I was him. I'll stop talking about this, though, unless you want to move over to the "drunk thread".
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

drauch wrote:Oh god, I wrote your as "you're". I apologize.

Yeah, I kind of worship/idolize FBI Agent Dale Cooper. I wish I was him. I'll stop talking about this, though, unless you want to move over to the "drunk thread".
Bring it up again when you finish the series. Then you can start the 'I hate James' thread.
SHMUP sale page.
1up

Post by 1up »

watched Iron Man 2 yesterday. Awesome action flick that I can highly recommend. Nice to see Mickey Rourke make a come back as hes kinda been out of the picture for about a decade. Hes perfect as the villain.
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

m3tall1ca wrote:Just re-watched American Psycho. I love that movie so much. So, so much. It's my most quotable movie. Period. Just about anything Christian Bale says in this movie is quotable.

I have to go return some videotapes.

The book is crazy good.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Octopod wrote:The book is crazy
^^ Much better than Glamorama. The movie pretty much summed up everything REALLY good from the book though. If the over-the-top gore of the book involving a huge TV, mustard, a rat, a nailgun + cheese was included in the movie, it should have been a Cronenberg movie instead.