LCD with scart vs LCD VGA

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
neorichieb1971

LCD with scart vs LCD VGA

Post by neorichieb1971 »

After my TFT LCD experience (a bad one) I was wondering if buying a LCD TV with a SCART connector would make things better with low res consoles?

Obviously accepting 15khz native is a plus since you don't have a bunch of conversions in the processing and plugs coming out your ears. However, I would like to know if its likely the output on the screen is going to the same or not.

The one thing I noticed on the VGA LCD is that bullets were hard on the eye. Like a continuous stuttering effect. I assume thats the 5ms lag kicking in.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Ex-Cyber

Re: LCD with scart vs LCD VGA

Post by Ex-Cyber »

neorichieb1971 wrote:The one thing I noticed on the VGA LCD is that bullets were hard on the eye. Like a continuous stuttering effect. I assume thats the 5ms lag kicking in.
That sounds more like a deinterlacing artifact to me.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

That was through the XRGB2. I noticed that full screen scrolling sometimes seems a bit flakey, like it stutters along. There is a certain smoothness you get via CRT which is lost on LCD.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

After my TFT LCD experience (a bad one) I was wondering if buying a LCD TV with a SCART connector would make things better with low res consoles?
in terms of connectivity: YES
in terms of picture quality: NO, NEVER.

Easy as that ;)
gray117

Post by gray117 »

neorichieb1971 wrote: The one thing I noticed on the VGA LCD is that bullets were hard on the eye. Like a continuous stuttering effect. I assume thats the 5ms lag kicking in.
Sounds almost like a sync issue... It will not be the 5ms lag ... Emulation may prove to give better results IF vsync is an issue; eitherway I recommend using a pc/emulation to determine where the problem lies.

If you can determine your issue only occurs under certain conditions you can then probably hunt for a screen [or device] that will cope best [maybe even near perfectly] with those conditions. But speaking about lcds - vga will be most likely the way to go for the best end result, and to determine the flexibility of any potential setup...

For image clarity alone scaling to the lcd's native res is the main issue. I presume xrgb was only linedoubling to 480p and the screen was doing the rest of the scaling?

Are still images via xrgb perfect [or as good as you want - ie. without stutter/noise]?

Does this 'stuttering' only occur on movements of certain speeds or on all moving objects?

If on all I'd be inclined to blame it on the screens management of scaling, as long as that's not its native resolution.

Perhaps test the results of emulation at (and below) native res, at (and not at) native screen refresh rate, with vsync enabled and then disabled, and observe differences if any?
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Fudoh wrote:
in terms of connectivity: YES
in terms of picture quality: NO, NEVER.

Easy as that ;)
And here I thought SCART RGB would look terrific on any television. Curse those standard display units degrading picture quality!!!!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

It's not SCART's fault, it's the LCD he's after. Different display tech than CRTs and generally that leads to some nasty tradeoffs vs. CRT quality.