Drill DREAMCAST

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
rom1frommars

Drill DREAMCAST

Post by rom1frommars »

-----------------------
UPDATE 09 Sept

New screenshots !!

----------------------

Hi Everybody !

I am a french guy who work in a french team that develops a manic shoot em up on Dreamcast.

In a few days we are going to release a video on the game. And in September the demo will be release on an iso via Internet.
You can check the french site www.shmup.com to check some more informations but in French ! :D

Excuse my bad English... :oops:
Last edited by rom1frommars on Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dewclaw

Post by Dewclaw »

Hey, that looks pretty cool. I'm lookin forward to a demo.
dczx

Post by dczx »

I'm happy to see a new DC game!
make a reaction
memorizing a pattern
must not be shot down
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

looks great, can't wait to see the demo reel.
I have no sig whatsoever.
gingerj

Post by gingerj »

yeah great stuff, I'd like to see it running though before making a proper judgement. Although one thing has to be said, that character to the left on every screen just doesn't look very good.... Just makes the title seem erm tacky...

You planning on releasing it 'properly', so we can buy copies and get it published etc....?
rom1frommars

Post by rom1frommars »

Yes, we are going te release it "properly" via online videogames sites.

For the left screen, the art is temporary, the demo in September will have many changes...

Video to see it running ! :D
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/radigo/goodies/drill-demo.avi
Capt. Takehiko

Post by Capt. Takehiko »

Awesome. Its great how there's so many home brew games being made on the DC.
The Captain.
gingerj

Post by gingerj »

I gotta say:

your player sprite doesn't look all that interesting and the movement is non-existant just looks like its just floating about stupidly.

the enemies aren't very varied

the bullet patterns definatly need work

the music is 5.5/10

There's my viewpoint of the title....
highlandcattle

Post by highlandcattle »

gingerj wrote:I gotta say:

your player sprite doesn't look all that interesting and the movement is non-existant just looks like its just floating about stupidly.

the enemies aren't very varied

the bullet patterns definatly need work

the music is 5.5/10

There's my viewpoint of the title....
moron this an wip and it already looks beter then most commercial stuff
gingerj

Post by gingerj »

maybe to your sub-par standards....
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Considering that it's a work in progress, the dev team should be happy to receive constructive criticism.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

highlandcattle wrote:moron this an wip
gingerj could have been more tactful in his personal opinion, but at least it was specific criticism that could be useful to the developer at this stage of the WIP, as they may be looking for areas to tweak. The best way to counter negative comments is with specific positive comments of your own about the WIP, without personal attacks.

Anyway nice to see another DC project, especially one so far in production already. Hopefully it will be seen through to a full release. :wink:
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
rom1frommars

Post by rom1frommars »

I m not going to make comments on gingerj reactions... :?

We work hard to complete the demo for September. The scoring system that we prepare is original and very addictive. I m not going to reveal it but it's a combination of different games and i m very proud of it :D

We work now hard on level design and boss patterns to make a game that can be compare to actual manic shooting but keep in mind that's it s an homebrew game that we develop during our free time.
TGK

Re: Drill DREAMCAST

Post by TGK »

rom1frommars wrote:Hi Everybody !

I am a french guy who work in a french team that develops a manic shoot em up on Dreamcast.
Here are some pictures :

In a few days we are going to release a video on the game. And in September the demo will be release on an iso via Internet.
You can check the french site www.shmup.com to check some more informations but in French ! :D

Excuse my bad English... :oops:
Me like! Except a few things

1) The temp art on the side, even if just temp, is awful. I would be happy to look at a generic cloud backdrop or some colour patterns instead.

2) The bullet colour is bland. It makes the whole game seem anemic. Make the bullet pink! follow tradition! (or orange red, can't go wrong with orange red)

3) The character sprite is too long and too thin, I can't guess where the hitbox is. It's supposed to be a girl, so give the poor lass some VOLUME :D

4) Your bullet colour also need to be changed

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Question for you, what tool & SDK did you use for development on DC? Did you have to get into some agreement with Sega to get an SDK & test system?

Or can you actually code on PC and it runs on a DC?

I have no knowledge about DC development, enlighten me!
This causes to me a sensation of badness. - Stormwatch
qatmix

Post by qatmix »

It will most likely be programmed in KOS
rom1frommars

Post by rom1frommars »

Question for you, what tool & SDK did you use for development on DC? Did you have to get into some agreement with Sega to get an SDK & test system?

I use the Kallisti OS for the development on DC. Kallisti Os is a free OS made by Dan Potter so i don't need the Sega agreement to make a game on Dreamcast. But if you use the official Os : Katana, you must have the sega agreement.

The game runs on Dc but i have tools on Pc for designing the bullets patterns or to make the ennemy movements, etc...

1) The temp art on the side, even if just temp, is awful. I would be happy to look at a generic cloud backdrop or some colour patterns instead.

2) The bullet colour is bland. It makes the whole game seem anemic. Make the bullet pink! follow tradition! (or orange red, can't go wrong with orange red)

3) The character sprite is too long and too thin, I can't guess where the hitbox is. It's supposed to be a girl, so give the poor lass some VOLUME

1/ The temporary art on the left side is already changed by a new one :D And it's beautiful :D
2/ 4/ All the bullets will be changed, there is so many things that we have to do, we cannot do everything at once. Once again the bullets were temps and it's going to change soon.
3/ Yes, we are working on a different size for the girl. But we are going to "show" precisely where is the hit box collision. The idea is to make different hero that have different properties : long/thin, large, etc...

Thank you for your remarks. :D
You win qatmix :D

Sorry for my bad english, maybe we are going to release another video to show a better definitive version before the demo release in September.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

could you maybe a release a wmv version too, i really want to see the game and can't get the divx codec.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

captain ahar wrote:could you maybe a release a wmv version too, i really want to see the game and can't get the divx codec.
Why don't you download Divx then?

www.divx.com
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
TGK

Post by TGK »

neorichieb1971 wrote:
captain ahar wrote:could you maybe a release a wmv version too, i really want to see the game and can't get the divx codec.
Why don't you download Divx then?

www.divx.com
Better yet, download the Klite codec pack (it's the first site that comes up when you google for "Klite Codec Pack"),

it has nearly every codec out there.
This causes to me a sensation of badness. - Stormwatch
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i can't download it because all computer time i have is on school computers and they don't have divx, nor can i put it on them.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

rom1frommars wrote:

I use the Kallisti OS for the development on DC. Kallisti Os is a free OS made by Dan Potter so i don't need the Sega agreement to make a game on Dreamcast. But if you use the official Os : Katana, you must have the sega agreement.

The game runs on Dc but i have tools on Pc for designing the bullets patterns or to make the ennemy movements, etc...

3) The character sprite is too long and too thin, I can't guess where the hitbox is. It's supposed to be a girl, so give the poor lass some VOLUME

1/ The temporary art on the left side is already changed by a new one :D And it's beautiful :D
2/ 4/ All the bullets will be changed, there is so many things that we have to do, we cannot do everything at once. Once again the bullets were temps and it's going to change soon.
3/ Yes, we are working on a different size for the girl. But we are going to "show" precisely where is the hit box collision. The idea is to make different hero that have different properties : long/thin, large, etc...

Thank you for your remarks. :D
You win qatmix :D

Sorry for my bad english, maybe we are going to release another video to show a better definitive version before the demo release in September.
Your English is great! :D I should be embarassed, I'm a typical American who only knows one language! :lol:

The game looks beautiful; thank you so much for making a shmup for the Dreamcast! :D

You said that the demo will be released in September; when do you think the final product will be released? And will it be available in NTSC format? (France, of course, uses PAL format) Once again, thank you! :D
sniperwolf

Post by sniperwolf »

Looks pretty nifty so far. Personally, I love the Dreamcast and its library of shooters [Ikaruga is a favorite], and would love to see a new one.

Heh, maybe if I get far enough I'll try porting my shooter to the DC. :D
rom1frommars

Post by rom1frommars »

Update for Drill ! :D
Look at the first post.

The release date for the demo will be on 30/09/2005.

D-28, it's the rush !! :shock:
Last edited by rom1frommars on Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
qatmix

Post by qatmix »

Great Stuff. I will definately buy a copy of the game :)

TimeHunter is also coming along nicely and we may have a one level demo ready at the end of September.. So Dc owners may have a Vert and a Hori to take a look at..

Both are manic shooters :)
rom1frommars

Post by rom1frommars »

Great Stuff. I will definately buy a copy of the game Smile
Thank you very much :D
we may have a one level demo ready at the end of September
Is it possible to have some screenshots ?
qatmix

Post by qatmix »

Yup, I will upload some very soon
Pingu

Post by Pingu »

dave4shmups wrote:You said that the demo will be released in September; when do you think the final product will be released? And will it be available in NTSC format? (France, of course, uses PAL format) Once again, thank you! :D
France, of course, uses the SECAM format.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

And does that run at 525 lines, 60 FPS? Or do we have to (gasp!) deal with the same artifacts PAL to NTSC conversions entail? (SP?)
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Pingu

Post by Pingu »

Secam, Sequential Couleur Avec Memoire or Sequential Colour with Memory on plain English.

Line/Field 625/50
Horizontal Frequency 15.625 kHz
Vertical Frequency 50 Hz

As far as I know the colour coding is different from the standard PAL one, apparently sequential colours (*G* I bet you didn't see that one comming ), same bandwidth as PAL as well. About 15-30% higher bandwidth than ntsc.

Higher resolution and better colours with PAL/SECAM but a more "fluid" one with NTSC, which one is better I don't really care about, more about preferences I guess.

edit: NEVER mix up FPS and the vertical frequency as they're not the same thing. A monitor running at 60Hz will still run at 60Hz even though it's suplied with a frame made three hours earlier. Likewise running a PC game at 200FPS on TV out will still only give you 60 different frames per second on your NTSC TV set as it only updates 60 times per second.
rom1frommars

Post by rom1frommars »

France, of course, uses the SECAM format.
Secam is "officialy" the french video format. But in fact, today everything is in PAL format (the european format).
For Drill, it's region free. It will work on european, Us and japanese dreamcast. So on an european dreamcast the video will be PAL and on Us and japenese one in NTSC.

And 60hz for every version :D (Pal 60hz for european)

Stay tuned for 09/30 !!