Katamari Damachii Freak, or Too Much Time...

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
TWITCHDOCTOR

Katamari Damachii Freak, or Too Much Time...

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Look at the pics, you be the judge!
http://shinraalaturk.net/kata/

Personally, I think my "Frothing With Ikaruga" pic was much more FAB!
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Sweet gawd, and I thought I was obsessed with that game... :shock:
now tighter than your sister
99pence

Post by 99pence »

Is that game anygood?
"When we were talking to one of the executives at the BBC. And he said, 'Now hold on, this man is so incompetent why wouldn't he be fired?' and I said 'Go and take a look around this building. Just go and knock on a few doors.'" - Ricky Gervais
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

KD isn't just good...it's perfect.

Those guys in the pics though, that's just weird.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

KD is ok, its pretty original. There are no other games like it...although I believe the movie, "The Blob" had much infuence on this project. In fact, the game could very well be a parody of the movie. (at least in concept)

My feelings and opinions are still "mixed" with this game. Its not as great as everyone makes it out to be, but yet its simply fun...in a simple way. Its got to be the goofiest game ever made, with equally goofy music. Although a few songs are really good and "serious" sounding.(acoustic guitar and flute,etc)
It does get pretty intense near the end though. (Your Katamari "cluster" is the size if a 6 sided die when you start...before finishing the game, your "cluster" can wipe out an entire island!)

Its only $20 bucks, if you can find it. It might actually become rare, so even if you don't like it, more or less you might get what you paid for it.
I took a chance and bought it without knowing much at all. I figured anything that weird and original has to be worth playing at least once.
When I first heard about it, it was here at Shmups.com. 8 1/2 was talking about it. Judging by what he was saying, I instantly got the Katamari/BLOB connection in my head.

The game is extremely lightheartedly/goofy...but you kill more people and animals than all Grand Theft Auto's put together! You can even kill Policemen and HOES!
(anyone who's played, will know what I mean)
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:before finishing the game, your "cluster" can wipe out an entire island!)
Even bigger than that, in fact.

Oh and I saw you on the GF KD board...don't bother with those wanks, you have a resident KD expert right here.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Do you have the US version, or the Japanese one?

Whats really the point of creating Stardust?

I 've actually met a few cool/intelligent people at Gamefaqs...although that is a rarity. Sometimes I go there just to laugh...most of the people/kids there, lead one to believe that there is absolutely no hope for mankind what-so-ever.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

I create stardust to make the sky more filled and purty.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I have the US version.

Stardust is like play points. There's bonus material that unlocks with time, and I can only assume some of it is based on stardust. I've made a lot of stardust, and as far as I can tell it hasn't unlocked anything new in a very long time. After a bit, stardust just means you screwed up and didn't beat your last run :wink:
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Sometimes I go there just to laugh
Me too, that's what I was doing when I saw your post on the KD board. Specifically, there was a thread where everybody was posting their largest Make the Moon katamari size, and there were some truly hilarious size claims. The level won't let you build anything bigger than a shave over 880m, yet there's people on there claiming to have broken 900/1000m. Why would somebody lie about something like that?
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

Accutron wrote:There's bonus material that unlocks with time, and I can only assume some of it is based on stardust. I've made a lot of stardust, and as far as I can tell it hasn't unlocked anything new in a very long time.
If I recall, you unlock extra levels by attaining a certain size in some of levels to unlock 'Eternal Stages', not creating stardusts because I haven't unlocked anything special except for the last stage. I've already done that, so here's what you need to do:

(Got this from GameFaqs.)
Eternal 1 - Build up the ball past 1m30cm before the time runs out in Make a Star 4.

Eternal 2 - Build up the ball past 25m before the time runs out in Make a Star 8.

Eternal 3 - Build up the ball past 800m before the time runs out in Make the Moon.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I wasn't speaking of the Eternal levels actually...

There's other bonus stuff that unlocks on your tree screen.

What it ultimately comes down to with stardust though, is that if you're properly replaying the game for score (shmup-style obsessive score-tracking type replay...I can't emphasize enough that this is the way the game was designed to be played), stardust is completely irrelevant, as are all of the minimal level completion requirements, which are laughable compared to what is possible to do in a level.

Those size requirements you listed are correct. You also have to beat Make the Moon (get to 300m) to enable the ability to unlock the Eternal levels. So if you beat 25m on Make a Star 8, but haven't beaten Make the Moon yet, you won't unlock Eternal 2.

I could go on and on about KD. When you first play it, the levels seem haphazardly designed, but the more you play the more you realize that every single object in a level was put there for a reason. Everybody talks about how great the music is, but it utterly pales in comparison to the depth of gameplay. I find it grotesque that this game goes for $20 when I'd have to shell out $50 for the newest Mario Party.
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

99pence wrote:Is that game anygood?
you wouldnt like it..its made its way into main stream
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
99pence

Post by 99pence »

PsikyoPshumpPshooterP wrote:
99pence wrote:Is that game anygood?
you wouldnt like it..its made its way into main stream

I didn't know this game had hookers!
"When we were talking to one of the executives at the BBC. And he said, 'Now hold on, this man is so incompetent why wouldn't he be fired?' and I said 'Go and take a look around this building. Just go and knock on a few doors.'" - Ricky Gervais
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

Accutron wrote:...
Ah, I gotcha. I wasn't sure if you were talking about Eternal Stages, but you're talking about the other stuff. I'll have to re-play it again to unlock some stuff, but I'm pretty much burnt out from that game. Played it a bit too much...
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

ArrogantBastard wrote:
Accutron wrote:...
Ah, I gotcha. I wasn't sure if you were talking about Eternal Stages, but you're talking about the other stuff. I'll have to re-play it again to unlock some stuff, but I'm pretty much burnt out from that game. Played it a bit too much...
Dude, burnt out doesn't begin to describe it for me. I didn't hardly touch a shmup through most of December and January because of KD, and that was with a minty sealed copy of Chaos Field patiently waiting for my attention. Just about every single gaming moment that my wife and myself had was put towards that game. I kept trying to put it down, but then I discovered an internet ranking for it and had to compete. Once I got to first place, I didn't feel like playing it ever again. My wife even eeked past me on the scoreboards, knocked me to 2nd, but I just can't bring myself to play another minute of it right now. I'm afraid if I do, I'll burn out on it forever and it's too good of a game to deserve such a fate.

For anybody thinking of purchasing KD and wondering about replay value, keep in mind that I didn't quit playing until I had put about 200 hours into it.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Accutron wrote: For anybody thinking of purchasing KD and wondering about replay value, keep in mind that I didn't quit playing until I had put about 200 hours into it.
My two cents: I played it for the 3-4 hours it takes to finish the "story mode" if one can call it that, unlocking few Eternals in the process and felt absolutely no desire to continue playing after that. I had fun playing it, yes, but to me there was no long-term appeal.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Ghegs wrote:
Accutron wrote: For anybody thinking of purchasing KD and wondering about replay value, keep in mind that I didn't quit playing until I had put about 200 hours into it.
My two cents: I played it for the 3-4 hours it takes to finish the "story mode" if one can call it that, unlocking few Eternals in the process and felt absolutely no desire to continue playing after that. I had fun playing it, yes, but to me there was no long-term appeal.
For me, the replay is all about improving scores...finding the absolute best path to accomplish a goal, deciding whether I'm going to go for a size, time or object strategy, etc. You have to play differently, depending on which stat you're trying to improve and how close you are to maxing out the level.

For most people it will just be a short, quirky, fun budget title with good music, but deep play unearths the masterpiece that KD really is.
WarpZone

Post by WarpZone »

About stardust:

Your score for each level is really saved in the form of a star. This means that if you get a WORSE score than previously on a stage, you don't want to create a star (I'm pretty sure the new star would 'overwrite' the old one). This is when you pick stardust. You may not have broken a new score, but at least you have some little proof of your time and dedication to the game.
Blue Lander

Post by Blue Lander »

I think KD is the best non-shmup I've played on a modern console. I've got about a thousand games, and KD would definitely make my top 10 games of all time list. It's got that simple addictive quality old arcade games used to have, like Pac-Man. I finished all the stages and unlocked all the eternals. I also found all those little guys and got most of the special items. That being said, I burned out bad on that game. I played it every day for weeks and weeks, but lately I've had no desire to play it at all. There's only a handful of levels and they're all essentially the same, so it's a real testament to the game that I played it for as long as I did.

I can't wait for the sequel. I hope it rekindles my interest in the game, even though it appears to just be more levels rather than anything brand new.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

I'm going to try and reply to as many as I can here, but I want to keep things simple.

Warpzone:
That makes sense, only make a star when you want to overwrite the current score, either higher or lower.

Ghegs:
I agree, I cannot see myself playing this for weeks!
Its cool, but lets not overdo it. (Accutron and Blue Lander)

PsikyoShumpShooterP:
I hope your just being sarcastic, about that "mainstream" crap again...

99pence:
No, not really "hookers". I was making a joke, but you can collect and roll into your cluster into a garden rake...a "hoe" as in back-hoe. Yea, policemen will shoot at your cluster, if your large enough...you can mow them down too. Seriously, just like in those cheezy horror movies...the cops are shooting guns at a giant rolling pile of JUNK!
Blue Lander

Post by Blue Lander »

I'm telling you, that game was like electronic crack cocaine to me. For weeks it was all I wanted to play. It's also the only game that has a consistant effect on my emotional state. All the bright colors and happy music seem to cheer me up every time.

It seems the game has a different effect on different people. Most everyone likes it to at least some degree, but some people really get obsessed with it (myself included). I have no desire to play it anymore, but I hope I haven't permanently overdosed on it. I don't know if I'll import the sequel when it comes out or if I can stand to wait for a domestic release.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:I agree, I cannot see myself playing this for weeks!
Its cool, but lets not overdo it. (Accutron and Blue Lander)
Bah! And this coming from Mr. 1CC himself :P

How much time have you put into Strikers?

You won't often see me state opinion as fact, but I'll make an exception in this case...KD is a masterpiece, period, and is more than worthy of hundreds of hours of play. I totally understand that a single game isn't going to click with everybody, but KD is an all-time classic in the making, up there with Pac Man. In fact, I would call KD a direct spiritual successor to the original Pac Man...even more so than any of the subsequent Pac games.
WarpZone

Post by WarpZone »

Accutron wrote:I could go on and on about KD. When you first play it, the levels seem haphazardly designed, but the more you play the more you realize that every single object in a level was put there for a reason.
I haven't logged even close to 100 hours (actually, less than 20), but I'm starting to see what you mean. A lot of the level design seemed nonsensical at first, but seems to have a bit more of an inner logic to it.

I haven't discovered how much yet, though. Would you say there is a single 'perfect' route planned by the designers for each stage? I'm just wondering if it gets to the point where you literally want to memorize exactly which objects to get and when.

Sometimes the 'path' seems sort of obvious, but then there are a number of times when an area basically branches out, and I'm given several choices where to roll next. It seems somewhat arbitrary (or trial-and-error based) to find out exactly which one is truly optimal. I'm not sure if there's subtle 'flags' that point me in the right direction or not...

By the way, Accutron, you've got a pretty nifty avatar. Hypnotic...
whoisKeel

Post by whoisKeel »

I think 200 hours is very out of norm for this game. I love it tho, it's beatable in 2-5 hours first run, then maybe another 5-15 hours just to play for fun (and try to fill up your collection sheets). Once you've played a stage 5 times, your just not going to keep getting higher scores anymore...they're limited. Not saying this game isn't worth 200 hours of gameplay, but just a heads up to anybody thinking about buying it, you'll probably give it 10-20.

It's really really fun tho, you will laugh out loud playing it...and you'll also want everybody you know play it...this game is like the plague.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

WarpZone wrote:
Accutron wrote:I could go on and on about KD. When you first play it, the levels seem haphazardly designed, but the more you play the more you realize that every single object in a level was put there for a reason.
I haven't logged even close to 100 hours (actually, less than 20), but I'm starting to see what you mean. A lot of the level design seemed nonsensical at first, but seems to have a bit more of an inner logic to it.

I haven't discovered how much yet, though. Would you say there is a single 'perfect' route planned by the designers for each stage? I'm just wondering if it gets to the point where you literally want to memorize exactly which objects to get and when.

Sometimes the 'path' seems sort of obvious, but then there are a number of times when an area basically branches out, and I'm given several choices where to roll next. It seems somewhat arbitrary (or trial-and-error based) to find out exactly which one is truly optimal. I'm not sure if there's subtle 'flags' that point me in the right direction or not...

By the way, Accutron, you've got a pretty nifty avatar. Hypnotic...
Thanks!

There's definitely an optimal path for each level, but with many intermediate paths, ala Ikaruga. You definitely have to memorize the location of pretty much every object in a level to get top scores. Also, the optimal path is different depending on what stat you're trying to maximize...more on that later.
whoisKeel wrote:Once you've played a stage 5 times, your just not going to keep getting higher scores anymore...they're limited.
They are limited, but maximizing your score is not going to happen after playing a stage only 5 times...more like 50 or 100 times. Because of the way KD is designed, you will progress very quickly in the first 10 hours, and very slowly after that, but progress is made nonetheless. You can play a respectable 'B' game after only a few playthroughs, but an 'A' game requires 10x the effort.

Okay, here's my KD mini strategy guide...

Normal levels have three stats...katamari size, completion time and number of objects. To maximize your number of objects, pick up the smallest objects possible, to keep your katamari growing as slowly as possible. Every time you level up, the tiniest objects in the level vanish, so the slower you grow the more crap you can pick up before it disappears. To maximize your katamari size, you want to pick up the largest objects possible, unless you're already bumping the top of the size max, in which case you have to adopt the smallest-object strategy. To minimize your completion time, you always use the largest-object strategy.

It is generally impossible to maximize all three stats on a single run if you're playing at a competitive level. Playing for number of objects makes you too slow to set a speed record, and soforth.
Neon

Post by Neon »

It's an ok-ish game. I think it's like Ikaruga...well made with good music, just doesn't 'click' with some people.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Oh I forgot to mention...KD will get you laid, if used properly. A few days ago, IC ran a little news blurb about a papercraft model of the Prince, so I spent a couple hours putting one together as a surprise for my wife while she was at school that day.

:wink:
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

I agree, it does have specific patterns you can develope/memorize to optimize your play.
Now, comparing it to Strikers? Well, as cool as Katamari is, it still cannot hold a candle to my Strikers 1945. At least in what I prefer to play. I'am playing Katamari again, a second time, however.

Its true though with any game...the more you put into it, the more you get out of if. Either in terms of score,pattern development/enjoyment, etc,etc.
I just find Strikers a more enjoyable experience, while KD is an expeience of a different kind.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Well, I beat KD again just now. Yea, its late here, buy I'm usually awake most of the nights.
The second time around I improved my game much,much more.
Creating the moon was much easier this time around, as the first few times I was struggling.

KD is quite addictive, and I can understand how some will play for long times/weeks trying to improve their game. Well, just like all other games, its good not to "overdo" it, so that way you won't suffer from burnout.
I even take long breaks from playing guitar...even shooting games!!!

Katamari Damachi is a good game...good games you can, and will, always want to come back to and enjoy.

*Spoilers*
I also noticed something the second time, that I didn't see the first time.
At the end, during the staff roll/credits, you can control the prince. He's pushing the moon. (the Katamari becomes the Moon) around the Earth.
Well, you can pick up and collect continents!!! I'm not sure how many there are, but the game was keeping track in the upper left corner of the screen. I think I had 172. Weird!!!
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Now, comparing it to Strikers?
Not knocking Strikers or putting it up against KD...I love the series. I was just tossing you a personal example of putting obscene amounts of time into a single game that may not be everybody's cup of tea. Comparing KD and S1945 would be like comparing apples and pianos, and I think it's fair to say the world would be worse off if we were without either game.
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Well, I beat KD again just now. Yea, its late here, buy I'm usually awake most of the nights.
The second time around I improved my game much,much more.
Creating the moon was much easier this time around, as the first few times I was struggling.

KD is quite addictive, and I can understand how some will play for long times/weeks trying to improve their game. Well, just like all other games, its good not to "overdo" it, so that way you won't suffer from burnout.
I even take long breaks from playing guitar...even shooting games!!!

Katamari Damachi is a good game...good games you can, and will, always want to come back to and enjoy.

*Spoilers*
I also noticed something the second time, that I didn't see the first time.
At the end, during the staff roll/credits, you can control the prince. He's pushing the moon. (the Katamari becomes the Moon) around the Earth.
Well, you can pick up and collect continents!!! I'm not sure how many there are, but the game was keeping track in the upper left corner of the screen. I think I had 172. Weird!!!
(small spoiler warning) See, told ya you'd get even bigger than island-eating size. There's 195 countries in the credits rollup. Heh I didn't notice it until the second time I played through either...the first time I beat it, I got up and walked into the kitchen for something during the credits and totally missed the rollup.

I'm usually much better about not getting addicted/burnt out on a game. KD was...different somehow. It's like it wouldn't let go of me until it had run its course, regardless of whether I actually wanted to play or not. I can't think of the last game that did that to me.