Shmupmame 4.2: Lagless Mars Matrix, Strikers 1945, Galaga 88

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
P_HAT

Re: Shmupmame 4.2: Lagless Mars Matrix, Strikers 1945, Galag

Post by P_HAT »

BPzeBanshee wrote:DDP works fine for me here, and I'm sure PROMETHEUS would've had nimitz's head on a spike along with the rest of MAMEdev if there was an emulation issue. Doing anything weird with refresh rates/monitors?
http://www.mamedev.org/tools/
Haha true about Prometheus.

Well, Ketsui and ESPGaluda runs fine. Same setup, etc.
I think i just gonna compare it with UME 1.501.

Btw, is there any way to use some kind of HQ filter with D3D?
D3D with bilinear filter looks really bad.
Nocta

Post by Nocta »

BPzeBanshee wrote:As for compiling, haven't had much experience compiling Shmupmame itself but if you can compile the same MAME Plus version it's based off, you should be able to compile Shmupmame just fine. If you can't even do that, well, there's this page: http://www.mamedev.org/tools/
Trust me I tried and never succeed, I'm probably too dumb to finally have something working that's why I asked for someone's help. :|
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

P_HAT wrote:Btw, is there any way to use some kind of HQ filter with D3D?
D3D with bilinear filter looks really bad.
There's HLSL but it's not user-friendly to setup. There's a thread in Hardware somewhere for presets. Otherwise there's the "Visual Effects" setting in the Advanced category for game's properties. There isn't any other MAME variants with HQ filters that have Shmupmame's features incorporated, and I personally think that the MAME variants that do have them are performance hogs anyway - anyone who messed with MAME Plus Extended in the past would know.
Nocta wrote:Trust me I tried and never succeed, I'm probably too dumb to finally have something working that's why I asked for someone's help. :|
I remember it wasn't easy for me at the beginning either, but with enough patience and ability to read instructions it's certainly possible to get there. Just so we're on the same page, are you able to compile normal MAME from source?
Nocta

Post by Nocta »

BPzeBanshee wrote:I remember it wasn't easy for me at the beginning either, but with enough patience and ability to read instructions it's certainly possible to get there. Just so we're on the same page, are you able to compile normal MAME from source?
No, it's my first try to compile Mame but no worries, I'll go without nonag, I don't want to spend more time on the compiling anymore, I tried during the all sunday and I probably made beginner's mistakes. Overall I don't have much need to compile except for that so I'm not sure the assle is worth it. :wink:

I prefer to play for the moment! :D

One question though, which settings should I use with Shmupmame when it comes to waitvsync, throttle and triplebuffer?
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

The benefits of cutting-edge MAME SVN builds can definitely be worth tinkering around to get something working, but you really want to be able to get baseline MAME going via compile before anything else. Your loss. :P

Leave Triple Buffering and Wait for Vertical Sync off for best results. Throttle if memory serves keeps the game running at its normal speed, switching that off is like hitting F10 ingame.
Jims

Post by Jims »

Hi!

I switched from mameplus to shmupmame and it's great so far, thanks to Nimitz. But the lack of hq filters is regrettable. Is it possible to add this option in shmupmame 4.2, since it's based on mameplus 0.148?
vitor

Post by vitor »

Quick question
Is there anything that Shmupmame can emulate that Final Burn can't? Just curious. Don't so much care about dead on accuracy so long as said game is moving at a proverbial snail's pace
Nocta

Post by Nocta »

I was wondering if anyone found a way to use the "super resolutions" with Shmupmame to get a kind of pixel perfect on PC CRTs?

It works like that for GM:
Create a 1600x480 (or 2560x480) resolution with VMMaker
Use GroovyMAME leaving -modeline on, with arcade_31 setting and enforcing the -resolution option to pick this resolution for you. That will adjust the refresh while still using a single and only resolution.
With that you get every games scaled at the right resolution without having to create thousands of modelines and changing the settings of your screen all the time. Add a scanline filter and you're good for a perfect result!
Eithrial

Post by Eithrial »

Is there way to compile Shmupmame with Sdlmame? Which files should be replaced?
zakk

Post by zakk »

Eithrial wrote:Is there way to compile Shmupmame with Sdlmame? Which files should be replaced?
sdlmame isn't a separate thing, it's integrated with mainline mame at this point. shmupmame is based on 0.148 which I believe was after all that work was done (sdlmame is basically just an osd in mame). It should just compile without much work. It's been a while since I've done it so I can't remember if there are one or two issues you might have to correct.
d3vak

Post by d3vak »

Hello!

I don't know if anyone else has got this same problem here but whenever I try to run "Aero Fighters / Sonic Wings 2" or "Aero Fighters / Sonic Wings 3" I get this message:

"The selected game is missing one or more required Rom or CHD images"

Any idea about how to solve this?
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

d3vak wrote:Hello!

I don't know if anyone else has got this same problem here but whenever I try to run "Aero Fighters / Sonic Wings 2" or "Aero Fighters / Sonic Wings 3" I get this message:

"The selected game is missing one or more required Rom or CHD images"

Any idea about how to solve this?
Your rom probably needs a parent rom. It might be a bios rom for the arcade hardware that the game is running on, or else another game (For example, mmatrixj, the japanese region mars matrix rom requires mmatrix, which is the North American region rom.)
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Run the game via the GUI or the command line launcher and it should tell you the exact files missing. You may just need to find an alternate source for the rom files.
d3vak

Post by d3vak »

Just wanted to let you guys know that I managed to play those games by replacing the roms and placing some correct parent roms...thank you so much.

As for the games...well, they were awful as shit. :lol:
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

Smupmame is still the best M.A.M.E. emulator without input lag?
DoDonPachi...
Patashu

Post by Patashu »

nesrulz wrote:Smupmame is still the best M.A.M.E. emulator without input lag?
DoDonPachi...
Yes
I'm waiting for it to include SH3 (Mushihimesama etc) support now that it's legally okay to do so. Maybe even fix it up to make savestates work so we can practice on it? Pretty please devs? :mrgreen:
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

Which HLSL settings you use (4.2 version)?

Code: Select all

#
# DIRECT3D POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
hlsl_enable 1
hlslpath hlsl
hlsl_ini_read 0
hlsl_ini_write 0
hlslini %g
hlsl_prescale_x 0
hlsl_prescale_y 0
hlsl_preset -1
hlsl_write
hlsl_snap_width 1920
hlsl_snap_height 1080
shadow_mask_alpha 0.15
shadow_mask_texture aperture.png
shadow_mask_x_count 1280
shadow_mask_y_count 720
shadow_mask_usize 0.09375
shadow_mask_vsize 0.09375
curvature 0.0
pincushion 0.06
scanline_alpha 1.00
scanline_size 1.00
scanline_height 0.7
scanline_bright_scale 1.5
scanline_bright_offset 0.60
scanline_jitter 0.05
defocus 0.8,0.8
converge_x 0.0,0.0,0.0
converge_y 0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_x 0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_y 0.0,0.0,0.0
red_ratio 1.0,0.0,0.0
grn_ratio 0.0,1.0,0.0
blu_ratio 0.0,0.0,1.0
saturation 1.3
offset 0.0,0.0,0.0
scale 1.0,1.0,1.0
power 1.0,1.0,1.0
floor 0.03,0.03,0.03
phosphor_life 0.0,0.0,0.0
yiq_enable 0
yiq_cc 3.59754545
yiq_a 0.5
yiq_b 0.5
yiq_o 0.0
yiq_p 1.0
yiq_n 1.0
yiq_y 3.0
yiq_i 1.2
yiq_q 0.6
yiq_scan_time 52.6
yiq_phase_count 2
I use this for now, but I'm not satisfied...
d3vak

Post by d3vak »

Is it possible to run "Radirgy" on this? :|
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

d3vak wrote:Is it possible to run "Radirgy" on this? :|
My understanding is that Naomi stuff is not especially good in MAME. There are a few emulators for it though. nullDC, Demul, and Makaron. I have not tried Naomi stuff on these, but on my shitty integrated graphics laptop, Dreamcast on nullDC is just barely too slow to play (for shmups, anyway), and Demul is a bit slower (Also incompatible in newer versions due to directX 10/11). Still haven't given Makaron a real try yet. If DC stuff runs fine, but Naomi doesn't, however, you could still play Radirgy, b/c it had a DC port.
1) Create Scoring System
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Patashu wrote:
nesrulz wrote:Smupmame is still the best M.A.M.E. emulator without input lag?
DoDonPachi...
Yes
I'm waiting for it to include SH3 (Mushihimesama etc) support now that it's legally okay to do so. Maybe even fix it up to make savestates work so we can practice on it? Pretty please devs? :mrgreen:
+1!!! :]
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
ReiKusanagi

Post by ReiKusanagi »

while that's good news, I think it's at a sizable cost., not much we can do about those facts.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Anywhere on the internet with good instructions for compiling shmupmame in linux? Or for compiling sdlmame, assuming I can just extract the shmupmame archive to replace the drivers?
1) Create Scoring System
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

More info:
When I try compiling, I get the following string of errors

Compiling src/osd/sdl/sdlsocket.c...
In file included from src/emu/emu.h:55:0,
                 from src/osd/sdl/sdlsocket.c:27:
src/emu/ioport.h:1204:57: error: 'global_resource_pool' was not declared in this scope
  ioport_list(resource_pool &pool = global_resource_pool())
                                                         ^
src/emu/ioport.h: In constructor 'ioport_list::ioport_list(resource_pool&)':
src/emu/ioport.h:1205:34: error: no matching function for call to 'tagged_list<ioport_port>::tagged_list(resource_pool&)'
   : tagged_list<ioport_port>(pool) { }
                                  ^
src/emu/ioport.h:1205:34: note: candidates are:
In file included from src/emu/emucore.h:40:0,
                 from src/emu/emu.h:24,
src/lib/util/tagmap.h:216:2: note: tagged_list<_ElementType>::tagged_list() [with _ElementType = ioport_port]
  tagged_list() { }
  ^
src/lib/util/tagmap.h:216:2: note:   candidate expects 0 arguments, 1 provided
src/lib/util/tagmap.h:202:2: note: tagged_list<_ElementType>::tagged_list(const tagged_list<_ElementType>&) [with _ElementType = ioport_port]
  tagged_list(const tagged_list &);
  ^
src/lib/util/tagmap.h:202:2: note:   no known conversion for argument 1 from 'resource_pool' to 'const tagged_list<ioport_port>&'
In file included from src/emu/emu.h:87:0,
src/emu/devcpu.h: In function 'device_t* legacy_device_creator_drc(const machine_config&, const char*, device_t*, UINT32)':
src/emu/devcpu.h:268:24: error: 'class emu_options' has no member named 'drc'
  if (mconfig.options().drc())
                        ^
In file included from src/emu/emu.h:108:0,
src/emu/screen.h: In member function 'attotime screen_device::time_until_update() const':
src/emu/screen.h:216:66: error: 'const class machine_config' has no member named 'm_video_attributes'
  attotime time_until_update() const { return (machine().config().m_video_attributes & VIDEO_UPDATE_AFTER_VBLANK) ? time_until_vblank_end() : time_until_vblank_start(); }
                                                                  ^
src/emu/screen.h:216:87: error: 'VIDEO_UPDATE_AFTER_VBLANK' was not declared in this scope
  attotime time_until_update() const { return (machine().config().m_video_attributes & VIDEO_UPDATE_AFTER_VBLANK) ? time_until_vblank_end() : time_until_vblank_start(); }
                                                                                       ^
makefile:909: recipe for target 'obj/sdl64/osd/sdl/sdlsocket.o' failed
make: *** [obj/sdl64/osd/sdl/sdlsocket.o] Error 1
I couldn't get sdlmame to compile on its own, yet, but I think that it would work if I followed the directions here or else used gcc 4.8 instead of 4.9. Haven't tried yet, because it takes forever to compile stuff. I have installed gcc 4.8, and will try it if I can figure out how to convince the makefile to use gcc48 instead of gcc. Also, I was getting different errors trying to compile vanilla mame.

Has anyone tried compiling under linux before, or has any ideas?
OS is Arch Linux. most recent kernel, etc (I just installed it a few days ago)
1) Create Scoring System
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

@lordHypnos: are you using archlinux built in ABS (arch build system)? or trying something like downloading source and running "make" on it.

I would advice getting the ABS script, then modifying it. or write a custom script like ones you get in AUR.
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

nasty_wolverine wrote:@lordHypnos: are you using archlinux built in ABS (arch build system)? or trying something like downloading source and running "make" on it.

I would advice getting the ABS script, then modifying it. or write a custom script like ones you get in AUR.
I was basically planning on making a PKGBUILD file ultimately, and putting it up (maybe even in AUR *gasp*, though only if I could make it follow whatever the best practices are for that), but I need to know how to get it to compile first, so I know what all I need to include in the PKGBUILD. I don't actually know anything about ABS, I could probably read up on it, but if you happen to know, I'd appreciate learning the specifics of what I need to know to install shmupmame, to save me a bit of time.
1) Create Scoring System
nasty_wolverine

LordHypnos wrote:
I was basically planning on making a PKGBUILD file ultimately, and putting it up (maybe even in AUR *gasp*, though only if I could make it follow whatever the best practices are for that), but I need to know how to get it to compile first, so I know what all I need to include in the PKGBUILD. I don't actually know anything about ABS, I could probably read up on it, but if you happen to know, I'd appreciate learning the specifics of what I need to know to install shmupmame, to save me a bit of time.
Its like kinda AUR but for repo packages. So with that you will get hold of the pkgbuild for the sdlmame thats in the repos, along with all the tools you need to package and install it. So you can just edit the pkgbuild for patching.

I am sorry i cant say more, coz i am on a winbox :cry:
I had arch installed for atleast 2 years about 3 years ago.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System link should be help
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

nasty_wolverine wrote:
LordHypnos wrote:
Its like kinda AUR but for repo packages. So with that you will get hold of the pkgbuild for the sdlmame thats in the repos, along with all the tools you need to package and install it. So you can just edit the pkgbuild for patching.

I am sorry i cant say more, coz i am on a winbox :cry:
I had arch installed for atleast 2 years about 3 years ago.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System link should be help
Thanks. That does sound better than putting together a hacky pkgbuild script. Arch is pretty awesome. I'm sorry that you no longer have it :(

Do you know, though, should it theoretically work for me to just build it by adding the source of shmupmame 4.2 to the source from the arch sdlmame package, or is there any step that I'm missing? is sdlmame 0.5.4 even the right sdlmame to be using for shmupmame 4.2?
1) Create Scoring System
nasty_wolverine

LordHypnos wrote: Do you know, though, should it theoretically work for me to just build it by adding the source of shmupmame 4.2 to the source from the arch sdlmame package, or is there any step that I'm missing?
Theoretically yes. Because sdlmame is actually part of the mame source now, since 2006. What you need to do is replace the laggy drivers in mame source with lagless drivers from shmupmame, and compile to sdlmame (think there should be a make switch in there somewhere). that means no extra fancy stuff that you have in shmupmame, it will be the old commandline mame. since you are already running linux and trying to compile stuff, i am sure you aint afraid of a bash shell :wink:
LordHypnos wrote: is sdlmame 0.5.4 even the right sdlmame to be using for shmupmame 4.2?
Now thats a different beast. You have to get the exact version of mame from which shmupmame is built. drivers are not really compatible between versions as far as i am aware.

Or, you could run diff between normal mame and shmupmame (both same versions), see what was changed to make it less laggy, apply the changes in current mame source and see if it works.

edit: https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit ... es/sdlmame current pkgbuild here
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

nasty_wolverine wrote: Theoretically yes. Because sdlmame is actually part of the mame source now, since 2006. What you need to do is replace the laggy drivers in mame source with lagless drivers from shmupmame, and compile to sdlmame (think there should be a make switch in there somewhere). that means no extra fancy stuff that you have in shmupmame, it will be the old commandline mame. since you are already running linux and trying to compile stuff, i am sure you aint afraid of a bash shell :wink:
Yeah, not afraid of commandline at all here. I pretty much never use the GUI anyway, for shmupmame, in windows.
nasty_wolverine wrote:
Now thats a different beast. You have to get the exact version of mame from which shmupmame is built. drivers are not really compatible between versions as far as i am aware.
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. I wish that info about which version of mame goes with shmupmame 4.2 was published somewhere. Well, I haven't been able to find it, in any case.
nasty_wolverine wrote: Or, you could run diff between normal mame and shmupmame (both same versions), see what was changed to make it less laggy, apply the changes in current mame source and see if it works.
...And you lost me :oops:
I've been using archlinux as primary OS for the past eight years or so, so I know a lot about how to use linux, but I know very little about programming, in actuality :oops:
nasty_wolverine wrote: edit: https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit ... es/sdlmame current pkgbuild here
I've actually already installed abs and downloaded the abs tree, and put the sdlmame files into my home folder, edited the pkgbuild a little, and am currently trying to make a package. wish me luck. I assume more makefile tweaking is to come, and I might try 053, just in case, if nothing else works.

EDIT: Oh, looks like it's supposed to be 0.148. That's probably the root of all my problems. Why didn't I think of actually reading the first post :lol:
EDIT2: Also needs to be MAME plus >_< I hope the compiling works basically the same between them.
Note: I say this because I got the following error:

src/mame/mame.lst:41 - Invalid character 'N' in driver "NCP"
makefile:844: recipe for target 'obj/sdl64/mame/mame/drivlist.c' failed
make: *** [obj/sdl64/mame/mame/drivlist.c] Error 1
and searched it to find a post earlier in this thread where this error was attributed to using mame instead of mameplus
1) Create Scoring System
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Alright. gonna double post to ask: Anyone know where I can get mame plus! source? And is mame plus! something that you still need regular mame to install?

Also, note that source seems to be nowhere on this site in spite of the fact that every site on the internet was directing me there for source. Even that site directs me to itself for source >_<
They appear to only have windows binaries available :|
1) Create Scoring System