Any RPG fans here?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
ZOM

Re: Any RPG fans here?

Post by ZOM »

@Enhasa
I'm surprised seeing someone mention Chaos Seed, let alone put it in a top25 list...good guy. :mrgreen:

EDIT:
I'll cook up a top25 list too since you enjoy looking at these, but I have to warn you there's stuff many won't consider "pure" RPGs:
-----
Brandish 3: spirit of Balcan
Brandish
Brandish 2: The Planet Buster
(It should be noted that I play those three games on PC-98 and I absolutley despise the console versions)

King's Field III
King's Field IV
Demon's Souls
Shadow Tower Abyss

Ys Book I & II
Ys Oath of Felghana
Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys
Xanadu
Xanadu Next
Sorcerian

Emerald Dragon

Brightis

Suikoden
Suikoden II
Suikoden V

Xenogears
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy IX

Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts II

Landstalker
-----

That list may seem outlandish to some, but that's how I roll :)
The order is a bit of a mess - I'm not even entirely sure if that's my preferred order...oh well.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

ZOM wrote:Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts II
No From the New World? I swear, I must be the only series fan who actually liked the third one, despite its weaknesses.
Dragoforce

Post by Dragoforce »

I spent most of my teen-years playing AD&D, Eon and Mutant Chronicles, and apart from Black Isles old games I never really liked any computer or console based RPG. Well, I liked the Mother-series and (to my surprise) FFXII a fair bit, but I tend to get bored quite fast with traditional J-RPGs. I like to create my own characters, I don't like being told where to go and I hate it when a game allows for unlimited power-leveling.

Not a top ten, just ten RPGs that I really like.

Planescape: Torment
Baldurs Gate
Baldurs Gate 2
Neverwinter Nights
Icewind Dale
Eye of the Beholder
Secret of the Silver Blades
Gateway of the Savage Frontier
Mother 2
Secret of Evermore
Enhasa wrote:Shadow over Mystara
How?
Swedish shmup community - stgfan.com
Do not be afraid...
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I recommend Suikoden III big time. Shame about the dingy visuals (although the character models are actually pretty good; they don't look too shabby even right next to the hand-drawn icons, which is more than I can say about Persona 3) and somewhat unremarkable music, but it's one of the best PS2 jRPGs if you ask me. I've not finished it due to an accident with save, but I do intend to replay it at some point. It's not Suikoden II, but it's still plenty of fun.
Also, if you're gonna play Terranigma PAL on a SNES emulator, make sure to apply the NTSC patch.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

ZOM

Post by ZOM »

BulletMagnet wrote:
ZOM wrote:Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts II
No From the New World? I swear, I must be the only series fan who actually liked the third one, despite its weaknesses.
It doesn't make my top25, a list which has to be taken with a grain of salt, but it's surely somewhere on place 27-30 I guess... It's a good game and I don't really get why many series fans call it "crap", I guess the reason why it didn't make it into that list is that it did bring along a bit of disappointment on my first playthrough.
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

professor ganson wrote:
MR_Soren wrote:I normally don't care for Final Fantasy or anything else that is heavily narrated or with a main character who talks a lot. Tactical RPGs are among my favorites because I enjoy the strategy.
Same here. I like challenging SRPGs and shmups because I can usually skip whatever story there is and just enjoy the challenge. I think I would like traditional RPGs more if I could skip the story and the combat were more engaging. Occasionally I'll actually follow a story, if it's lighthearted and silly. If I want a serious story, I'll read a novel.

I don't like WRPGs or action titles like Demon's Souls.

Perhaps I should give dungeon crawlers a chance. I've been thinking about playing Etrian Odyssey. Any other challenging RPGs (apart from SRPGs) I should be checking out?
I enjoyed the first Etrian Odyssey, but it wasn't quite as good as I was expecting. Lots of customizability, exploration, and difficult encounters, but something felt missing. I have the second, but have not played it yet.

I'd check out Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne for PS2. It has a light narration style and a very engaging combat system. Above average difficulty too. (Which translates to Hard by today's standards) Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey might also be something that would interest you if you want to get into dungeon crawlers, as it uses the Etrian Odyssey game engine, but the Shin Megami Tensei combat and fusion systems. Comes out today!

Also, have you gotten into roguelikes yet? Shiren the Wanderer, Nightmare of Druaga, etc?
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Thanks, MR Soren. Your advice is always much valued on my part. I now have a new shopping list-- these are all things I haven't tried, but was curious about. I'll definitely check them out when I get the time.

I'm a bit worried that dungeon crawling will be tough for me. Chess-like strategy is my strength; having to create a mental map of a complex area is definitely a strain for me. But maybe dungeon crawling doesn't require that, and even if it does, it would be good exercise for my mind, no doubt.

Just started FF XIII. Quite a change from my usual thing.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

In EO 1&2 and Strange Journey, you have a map, although I've heard in the final levels of the later, there is a part you can't map.

The differences between some of the styles of rpgs is pretty staggering. I'd probably be more into strategy rpgs if they had a component of exploration, but sadly, very few do. On the other hand, few dungeon crawlers have deep strategy, though the megaten games do albeit not in the same way as an SRpg. The thing is, SRpgs are everywhere right now, so if this is the sort of game you like, you ought to be having a field day right now. It's the exploration type, dungeon crawlers that have become extremely scant, which is why the DS is a bit of a haven for those of us who enjoy that type of gameplay.

I've played all of 10 minutes of Strange Journey (too busy tonight to play more), but the presentation seems quite impressive with a great soundtrack. Can't wait to dig into it!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

wow thats a cool post Enhasa. Latley ive just been making the odd comments instead of the usual wall of text posting person i usually am. Well the games up, youve got my mojo and i want it back!
MyGameCompany

Post by MyGameCompany »

I've been playing Eschalon: Book 1 by indie developer Basilisk Games. An excellent, old-school turn-based RPG. The story is well written, with lots of good plot twists. I wrote a review of the game on my site here:
http://www.mygamecompany.com/Reviews/eschalonbook1.htm

The developer will be releasing Book 2 within the next couple of months. I'm really looking forward to it!
Troy Hepfner
My Game Company
http://www.mygamecompany.com
professor ganson

CMoon wrote:In EO 1&2 and Strange Journey, you have a map, although I've heard in the final levels of the later, there is a part you can't map.

The differences between some of the styles of rpgs is pretty staggering. I'd probably be more into strategy rpgs if they had a component of exploration, but sadly, very few do. On the other hand, few dungeon crawlers have deep strategy, though the megaten games do albeit not in the same way as an SRpg. The thing is, SRpgs are everywhere right now, so if this is the sort of game you like, you ought to be having a field day right now. It's the exploration type, dungeon crawlers that have become extremely scant, which is why the DS is a bit of a haven for those of us who enjoy that type of gameplay.

I've played all of 10 minutes of Strange Journey (too busy tonight to play more), but the presentation seems quite impressive with a great soundtrack. Can't wait to dig into it!
Helpful post, C Moon. By the way, I just read your review of Nocturne at Amazon when I was ordering it and Strage Journey. Nicely done. I couldn't resist after your comparison to a college class and this other guy's comparison to Pokemon!
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Hahahaha! College class+Pokemon! Glad you liked the review. I understand why a lot of folks aren't fans of nocturne, but it is one of those essential rpg experiences, love it or hate it.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
SHMUP sale page.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Argh, those games kill me. Due to my OCD, I can't stand the thought of having an "imperfect" game.

For example, one time my Pixie chick lost her healing spell from a level up. Wasn't thrilled at reseting and losing that time.

And having to research ahead to ensure I didn't make a huge screw up... it sucks the fun out of it. Just kind of fizzled out during one of the dungeons, which is disappointing since otherwise I love the setting and atmosphere of it all.

Nocturne is maybe a bit more gentle than its predecessors in some ways, but it's still like getting slashed up by Jason Voorhees compared to the fluffy clouded carebear land of most games in this genre...

Though it is still nice to have games that aren't just filling up progress bars...
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

You sound like Digital Devil Saga would be up your alley. Noctourne without the demon collecting.
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"
No_not_like_Quake

Post by No_not_like_Quake »

ZOM wrote:Suikoden V got a bit more back to the series' roots while still changing some mechanics enough to make it a very interesting title in the genre. Personally, I rank Suikoden V right there with number II which is arguably the most popular in the series.!
I liked Suikoden V too, barring the slow start.

Has anyone tried that Heroes of Might and Magic puzzle/rpg for DS (I forget what it's called)? I'm interested as it's apparently coming to xbla and psn.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Might & Magic Clash of Heroes. It's fun but starts getting old soon. It has nothing to do with M&M (very basic RPG elements like experience, dialogue, and items in a board game setting) but it's a solid puzzler (no time limit helps). The art sort of looks like it's for kids but the console versions seem to have slightly more mature looking art and serious backgrounds.
AraraSPAMWitch

Post by AraraSPAMWitch »

ANGBAND 4 LIFE
Enhasa wrote: Vagrant Story (2000)
This man has taste.

By the way, Dragon Quest >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Final Fantasy in EVERY way
:x GET BODIED :x
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

used to love Jrpgs as a kid but nowadays i have less pacience with em. Generally i prefer them to have fast battles like the original phantasy star games or shining in the darkness. I tried to play the PS1 version of Lunar 1 not too long back, great story but the lengthy battles made me give it up.

Nowadays i very much prefer Arpgs or Srpgs liked alundra or warsong/ langrisser or western rpgs
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

AraraSPAMWitch wrote:By the way, Dragon Quest >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Final Fantasy in EVERY way
Nooooooo it doesn't have stuff like slicing the screen in half and other over the top animations and extremely large numbers.

Also it took them 12 years to make a new Final Fantasy game, Hikari no 4 Senshi.. and it's a bit annoying it's not talked about in Engrish Land much and sold less than their endless remakes.
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

I think the character design left a lot to be desired. Anyway, I find Final Fantasy far more interesting on a whole. DQ is mostly too vanilla to me.
Fuzzypants

Post by Fuzzypants »

AraraSPAMWitch wrote:By the way, Dragon Quest >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Final Fantasy in EVERY way
YES!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

No_not_like_Quake wrote:Has anyone tried that Heroes of Might and Magic puzzle/rpg for DS (I forget what it's called)? I'm interested as it's apparently coming to xbla and psn.
It's got some cool stuff happening, though I found it a bit too luck-based - if your opponent starts off with a good shuffle and you start off with a bad one, it can be a real pain to try and recover.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

I have a game sitting in the middle of my top25 that I'd like to mention again: Brightis - has anyone on these boards played this too? I'm asking because I swear I feel like I'm the only human being on this planet who played this, that's pretty surprising seeing that it's Quintet's final game... It's an action RPG that starts out a bit meager in the combat department, meaning you can only do one slow hit, but quickly after exploring the town you'll come across some "sword-masters" that will teach you a plethora of different attacks. Those are mappable via the menu to the playstation controller's buttons and later you can even string them together and also map them on directions+button(sorta like a fighter).
It's a great game IMO. but I never hear anything about it. It wasn't released outside Japan by the way.
Fuzzypants

Post by Fuzzypants »

ZOM wrote:I have a game sitting in the middle of my top25 that I'd like to mention again: Brightis - has anyone on these boards played this too? I'm asking because I swear I feel like I'm the only human being on this planet who played this, that's pretty surprising seeing that it's Quintet's final game... It's an action RPG that starts out a bit meager in the combat department, meaning you can only do one slow hit, but quickly after exploring the town you'll come across some "sword-masters" that will teach you a plethora of different attacks. Those are mappable via the menu to the playstation controller's buttons and later you can even string them together and also map them on directions+button(sorta like a fighter).
It's a great game IMO. but I never hear anything about it. It wasn't released outside Japan by the way.
sadly I've never played it..if the game isnt in english or translated to english its pretty much unplayable for me. I have enough problems with English and that is the language my great country agreed to speak
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

AraraSPAMWitch wrote:ANGBAND 4 LIFE
Game's got class.

Is there any love for the Tales of games? I've certainly got enough to spare.
professor ganson

BulletMagnet wrote:
No_not_like_Quake wrote:Has anyone tried that Heroes of Might and Magic puzzle/rpg for DS (I forget what it's called)? I'm interested as it's apparently coming to xbla and psn.
It's got some cool stuff happening, though I found it a bit too luck-based - if your opponent starts off with a good shuffle and you start off with a bad one, it can be a real pain to try and recover.
I'm not very far along, but that would seem to be a legit complaint. Overall seems pretty solid so far, though.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Fuzzypants wrote:
YES!
SHMUP sale page.
No_not_like_Quake

Post by No_not_like_Quake »

Thanks Ganelon, BM and prof. ganson for the insight. Sounds reasonably decent.
AraraSPAMWitch

Post by AraraSPAMWitch »

Ganelon wrote:I think the character design left a lot to be desired. Anyway, I find Final Fantasy far more interesting on a whole. DQ is mostly too vanilla to me.
I find the FF series too flashy, there's so much useless crap littered throughout the games, and after VI the stories just became nonsense. DQ is nice and simple: "Damsel in distress, kill the dragon and save the bitch." Games are also a lot more challenging, spells are more useful, some thinking is required, graphics are more fun, etc etc etc... but they're all JRPGs nonetheless, not quite creme de la creme of games, kinda like debating the merits of romance novels over Warhammer novels :P
Pirate1019 wrote:
AraraSPAMWitch wrote:ANGBAND 4 LIFE
Game's got class.
I like to namedrop Angband IRL when people ask me if I like RPGs. Makes me feel superior to them. Funny story, I have messed around with rougelikes for years, but never quite knew what 1d7 or 1d8 meant in those games, played D&D for the first time in my life last Friday (yeah I'm fly as shit) and now I suddenly know...
:x GET BODIED :x
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

AraraSPAMWitch wrote:Funny story, I have messed around with rougelikes for years, but never quite knew what 1d7 or 1d8 meant in those games, played D&D for the first time in my life last Friday (yeah I'm fly as shit) and now I suddenly know...
How did you determine which weapons were better? 2d5 vs. 1d7 etc.