Any RPG fans here?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
linko9

Re: Any RPG fans here?

Post by linko9 »

Yeah, you could really feel that the game was supposed to be something else... but I still ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

On a somewhat related note, I still count DQ6 as my favorite DQ game, though most other people seem to think it's the worst... I'll never understand why.
maxlords

Post by maxlords »

I like DQIX. Not sure why. The pacing isn't the greatest IMO, but the story is enjoyable. I don't like these stupid tasks that take me everywhere to get something for someone for a non-rewarding reward, but aside from that...
<@scootnet> if you were a real gamer, you could jerk it to Super Metroid box art
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls is coming to the US PSN.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/20/wi ... -to-xseed/

Looking forward to this. Never played the series before but I love dungeon crawlers.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Ahh... Ruldra just beat me with the announcement :)
Kakizaki

Post by Kakizaki »

Ruldra wrote:Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls is coming to the US PSN.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/20/wi ... -to-xseed/

Looking forward to this. Never played the series before but I love dungeon crawlers.
I'm pretty happy about this.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

I plan to get it, even though any diehard Wizardry fan would've just bought the JP version already (there's not much text at all). I'll point out though that besides the HD enemy art, Torawareshi Tamashii no Meikyuu is nowhere near as interesting, polished, and feature-rich as Busin (and IMO, is blown away by its modern competitors Elminage and Students of Round). But folks just getting into or coming back to the series should have a blast at an affordable price.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Glad after so many years we're seeing another Wizardry release. Any idea on a release date?
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

I just looooooove RPGs... looky at the video...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpOhEN_5 ... age#t=206s

ähm... You did mean Rocket Propelled Grenade-Launchers, didn't you?

:P
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Ganelon wrote:I plan to get it, even though any diehard Wizardry fan would've just bought the JP version already (there's not much text at all). I'll point out though that besides the HD enemy art, Torawareshi Tamashii no Meikyuu is nowhere near as interesting, polished, and feature-rich as Busin (and IMO, is blown away by its modern competitors Elminage and Students of Round). But folks just getting into or coming back to the series should have a blast at an affordable price.
I second Ganelon's opinion. Just as a heads-up to lower the risk of disappointments. (I still enjoyed it, though)
EinhanderZwei

Post by EinhanderZwei »

Tried Ys Chronicles on PSP today... Great game, but I know I won't complete it - I just don't have enough patience for pixel-art RPGs (my body must've been overtaken by alien invaders when I've beaten Lunar a couple of years ago)... Too bad
In an alternate universal, Soldier Blade II has already been crafted by Hudson Soft and Compile with proper tate this time around (c) PC Engine Fan X!
Sega tried and failed. Nintendo didn't even try. (c) Specineff
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

You have not even left the town yet, have you?
Ys I&II are a far cry from the likes of Lunar. They are just slashers where you level up like in, say, Diablo or Onimusha. Also, the first one is very short.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

EinhanderZwei

Post by EinhanderZwei »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Ys I&II are a far cry from the likes of Lunar. They are just slashers where you level up like in, say, Diablo or Onimusha. Also, the first one is very short.
Yeah, Diablo came to my mind too. Eh... Lunar PSP remake, Astonishia Story, Chrono Trigger... so many potentially good games in queue, but so little time :(
In an alternate universal, Soldier Blade II has already been crafted by Hudson Soft and Compile with proper tate this time around (c) PC Engine Fan X!
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Never mind the DS port of ChT. Just play the first US SNES version (NOT the PSX port with its awful loadings). That translation, albeit imperfect, is a labour of love and the game didn't need any extra content as it was. It's also very short for a jRPG. Two 16-bit jRPGs worth playing are Shining Force (MD/Genesis original rather than GBA rehash) and Chrono Trigger (plain US version). Both sweet and short without generic filler whatsoever.
If you think you're done with the genre that's understandable, but those two are must play.
Also, the music. And then some.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:GBA rehash
Argh. That. Thing.

It's exactly the same as if you had a Super Mario remake where you have to press the jump button twice to jump. Right then and there it fell on its face. Everything else questionable it did was just aftervomit from a dead horse.
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
EinhanderZwei

Post by EinhanderZwei »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:If you think you're done with the genre that's understandable, but those two are must play.
Hey, thanks for advice! Though I didn't mean that I'll never play jRPGs anymore - there's a hell load of jRPGs I wanna complete, but the problem is just my impatience :oops:

UPD: Just beaten Ys I on PSP! :D Great game, and indeed way shorter than I've expected
drauch

Post by drauch »

I finally sat down and made myself tackle the rest of Ys book 2 for the TurboCD. I cannot beat the last boss. I am beyond frustrated. It almost seems like you have to get lucky on his placement or you're just fucked. I don't think a game has made me so furious in a long time. Well, the Icon of Sin from Doom 2 made me rage quit hardcore awhile back, probably resulting in my neighbors thinking I'm insane, but I did finally beat it; Ys, on the otherhand, can probably go fuck itself. I went ahead and just watched the ending on youtube because it made me too mad. Got inspired and tried again. To hell with it; this is my goddamn day off and I'm not wasting it. alksdjf;lksjfd
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

drauch wrote:I finally sat down and made myself tackle the rest of Ys book 2 for the TurboCD. I cannot beat the last boss. I am beyond frustrated. It almost seems like you have to get lucky on his placement or you're just fucked. I don't think a game has made me so furious in a long time. Well, the Icon of Sin from Doom 2 made me rage quit hardcore awhile back, probably resulting in my neighbors thinking I'm insane, but I did finally beat it; Ys, on the otherhand, can probably go fuck itself. I went ahead and just watched the ending on youtube because it made me too mad. Got inspired and tried again. To hell with it; this is my goddamn day off and I'm not wasting it. alksdjf;lksjfd
Did you make sure you have the goddess ring and the shield magic? Those make that battle hella easy (at least on the PSP version).
gct

Post by gct »

I have been on a RPG binge lately. A few weeks ago I finished Ys Seven, and then a few days ago finished Ys I (Chronicles) on Hard mode. I'm expanding to Falcom's other stuff now, starting with Legend of Heroes: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch. I also ordered Lunar Silver Star Harmony which I will start after I am done with the LoH Gagharv series. It looks really nice, and I have never played Silver Star in any of its incarnations. I'll do Ys II Hard mode in the little breaks since it's such a quick game.

These games are so relaxing... although Ys I had some stressful moments, I can't imagine what some of the bosses will be like on Nightmare mode.
drauch

Post by drauch »

drunkninja24 wrote:
drauch wrote:I finally sat down and made myself tackle the rest of Ys book 2 for the TurboCD. I cannot beat the last boss. I am beyond frustrated. It almost seems like you have to get lucky on his placement or you're just fucked. I don't think a game has made me so furious in a long time. Well, the Icon of Sin from Doom 2 made me rage quit hardcore awhile back, probably resulting in my neighbors thinking I'm insane, but I did finally beat it; Ys, on the otherhand, can probably go fuck itself. I went ahead and just watched the ending on youtube because it made me too mad. Got inspired and tried again. To hell with it; this is my goddamn day off and I'm not wasting it. alksdjf;lksjfd
Did you make sure you have the goddess ring and the shield magic? Those make that battle hella easy (at least on the PSP version).
Yeah, sure did. I watched a video of the PSP/PC and it's wayyyy different. Dalles is still super easy, but Darm is damn near impossible.

GCT:

You should really play Lunar Silver Star on SegaCD or the PSX remake if you can. They changed a lot of stuff in Harmony, as well as added some terrible voices.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Ah, I see. Looked it up myself, yeah, it seems pretty different, but come on, you can be just like this guy when you finally beat it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nmyGGT3F3s
drauch

Post by drauch »

drunkninja24 wrote:Ah, I see. Looked it up myself, yeah, it seems pretty different, but come on, you can be just like this guy when you finally beat it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nmyGGT3F3s
That was pretty much me attempting this. Fuck it. It's already back on the shelf.
gct

Post by gct »

drauch wrote:GCT:
You should really play Lunar Silver Star on SegaCD or the PSX remake if you can. They changed a lot of stuff in Harmony, as well as added some terrible voices.
Can the voices be turned off?
drauch

Post by drauch »

^I'm not sure, actually. I've only watched it being played myself, as well as reading reviews from fans of the original game.

*Edit. Actually it seems like it was pretty well received. I'm just an elitist asshole I guess.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Ok for some reason I felt compelled to give Etrian Odyssey 3 a go, as though The Lord had told me to play it.

My emotions on it ranged from joy to feeling like it was nothing more than yet another freakin' jRpg.

At first, I thought it was neat how the Ninja was like a throw back to the old Rogue/Pickpocket classes. Who didn't cause as much damage but struck first, and were nice for finishing off guys before they could move again.

But eventually I realized the unit is all about his Shadow Clone, with which his DPS is on par with melee (his Renzokuken does about 50% damage of other renzokukens, but with a clone it's times two. With dual classing and an attack skill from a melee class, it's a bland blob of a character), and his expertise is actually being the potion bitch that can heal guys before the enemy moves.

I selected a Princess in lieu of a Monk because I am sick to death of that character. Her healing abilities? Can't be used out of combat and get screwed out of Heal Over Time ticks if you finish a battle early. So you have to either swallow the indignity of spending skill points on her heal-out-of-battle skills (a price the Monk does not have to pay), or buy a lot of potions. One at a time.

Potions are more than generous enough for instant healing - like the typical non-awful jRPG.

The game has a system where gear is unlocked in the store as you haul in rat testicles and other monster parts. This is a bit of a minigame in itself, where you go hunting for a specific monster to get the treasures he has to offer you, and can make the grind feel less grindy.

Having a 5x man team of Farmers is a good idea if you want to make money and actually buy upgrades in the shop.

The skill trees are nice in theory... but are unhealthy as designed:

* Skills are designed to choose between power vs efficiency. Most skills become much less efficient as you put points into them. (This concept is also at the root of your party selection - classes are designed to be more powerful or more efficient.) So you're punished in a way for pumping points into some skills.

* There are Renzokuken skills, which are The Best. This isn't completely terrible - every fighter class has at least one renzokuken skill. And most other attacks can cause status ailments that can make a difference, maybe, if they happen.

Just use freaking recharge timers on skills already, game designers from 1942... yeesh.

I'll give them this much: there is some incentive to spread the wealth around a bit in the early game.

Right now, sick to death of the thing, tired of random encounters. I'll probably finish it some day by grinding the last floors with a Farmer using Safe Stroll, but argh.

TLDR: Nice presentation, but they could have done better with the guts of the thing.

Oh and the thing is a little too damn long. If you're OCD enough you might get two weeks out of the thing.
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

EO3> Actually, you could have chosen some different subclassing options to eliminate a few of your problems, but it isn't like you can play the game the wrong way. What I hate most about the EO games in general is there tends to be one or maybe two builds that make your game incredibly easy, and everything else is going to be a LOT harder. That said, EO3 allows for significantly more options and is far better than the two games that preceded it.

All that said, as far as I can tell, the Ninja exists mostly to be subclassed with Zodiac for the dark ether skill. If necessary, have the ninja clone and allow the whole party to use skills for free.

Also, while the prince class is great at the beginning, by the time you get subclassing, Monk/Prince is a joke comparing them (Specifically because the monk's form qi makes protect order MUCH stronger.) With the ninja using dark ether, the monk should be laying down protect order and all those buffs/cures/prevention spells every round, making the party completely untouchable.

My biggest problem (and why I never finished the game) was that by the time I had the above system going along with free warrior's might going off every round, I was starting to get a bit bored. It's the level design that just doesn't stand out. You are navigating a maze for the sake of navigating a maze. I guess the quests helped a bit, but I'd have liked something a bit more than just another huge floor with no real layout. I'd also love to see one of these games where the levels actually look like dungeons.

Anyway, I really love this game, but still couldn't be bothered to finish it (I think I was a couple floors from the end, so maybe I should go back...)
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Argh, and the item distribution. Here have a new crossbow every few minutes. Crawl everywhere to find a knife with +7 atk.

Here is an extremely strong club right off the back. $250,000.

The game doesn't mention at all how item types have different speeds.

Argh, and permanent +stat items.
CMoon wrote:All that said, as far as I can tell, the Ninja exists mostly to be subclassed with Zodiac for the dark ether skill. If necessary, have the ninja clone and allow the whole party to use skills for free.
It exists to cram MORE melee characters, who have the highest damage multipliers, in your party.

Or to be a potion bitch. Madora's make your party invinci-mode a great stretch of the game.
Monk/Prince is a joke comparing them
I use her to to Eagle Eye and Attack Order, each of which are at least as strong as any of the renzokukens.

She'll eventually have Pincushion, which is the strongest renzokuken (saving perhaps a Warrior's Might guy combined with a Swashbuckling Shogun) at high levels.

To a good degree, she is a beast of a wall, while a Monk with weaker armor options... well, it's the only advantage the class gets..
Anyway, I really love this game, but still couldn't be bothered to finish it (I think I was a couple floors from the end, so maybe I should go back...)
Safe stroll safe stroll safe stroll safe troll.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

looking for some RPS for the SNES that are good, that maybe didn't get too much exposure. Beat Front Mission the other day, so I'm looking for more to play :)
drauch

Post by drauch »

lilmanjs wrote:looking for some RPS for the SNES that are good, that maybe didn't get too much exposure. Beat Front Mission the other day, so I'm looking for more to play :)
Well, there be lots:

Lufia 1 & 2
E.V.O. Search for Eden (super awesome and unique "evolution" rpg)
Illusion of Gaia
Secret of Evermore
Lagoon
Tecmo's Secret of the Stars
Terranigma
Live a Live
Uncharted Waters
Brain Lord
Bahamut Lagoon
Treasure of the Rudras
Tales of Phantasia
Star Ocean

Some of those are english translated games, granted, but I'd say most of those didn't get much exposure as compared to Chrono, Earthbound, Final Fantasy, Breath of FIre, Secret of Mana 1/2, etc. Plus there is also a lot of Dungeon Crawlers like Wizardy 5, Arcana, Drakkhen (kinda), and a few Ultimas. And yeah, there is more...
ryu

Post by ryu »

he said role playing strategy

i almost fell for it too, though.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Ah, shit, you're right. I apolgize.