Any RPG fans here?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
linko9

Re: Any RPG fans here?

Post by linko9 »

Heartwork wrote:I've been playing through Dragon Quest VIII for the first time, since I never played it when it came out. Really enjoying it so far. Also replaying the original two Golden Sun games on GBA for the millionth time. Those games never get old; god damn they're fantastic.

Has anyone played the new Golden Sun on DS?
Yes, I've played it, it's a pretty big letdown. I loved the first two games, but the third one isn't nearly as good. The two main problems are the complete lack of any difficulty, and the terrible story arc, which leads you to believe the game is going to be much longer than it actually is, and creates multiple points of no return. The ending guarantees a sequel (unless sales are terrible), but I'm not sure I'd pick it up unless Camelot figures out how to make games again.

Still fun while it lasts though :wink:
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

dunpeal2064 wrote:
LtC wrote:Looks like more info on Project Dark aka Dark Souls (The Demon's souls' successor) is available: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/01/dark_souls/

This is great news. Maybe it will hit around the same time as skyrim and the entire world will take a month off from work. I'm super pumped about having a single world instead of a hub world with levels. Although this will no doubt lead toward more filler areas, if it can evoke something closer to shadow of the colossus, I'm in. More exploration, more items/weapons/spells, more freedom. Definitely first day purchase for me.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

Oh, gosh. I still need to beat Demon's Souls. :oops:
lol
Heartwork

Post by Heartwork »

CMoon wrote:Although this will no doubt lead toward more filler areas, if it can evoke something closer to shadow of the colossus, I'm in.
FUUUUUUU Shadow of the Colossus is such an amazing game. That studio needs to hurry up and make another game. Supposedly they're working on one, but idk when it's coming out.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

The last guardian will be coming out end of 2011, though not an rpg. Also, HD port/remake of Ico/Shadow will be out for the ps3 next month.

Demon's Souls always reminded me of Shadow/Ico in a strange way, and creating an open world will only increase that. The idea of actually finding dungeons/castles/whatever in a fully explorable world via the demon's souls game engine sounds awesome.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
SHMUP sale page.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

I'm incredibly pleased to hear about Dark Souls being multiformat. Demon's Souls is one of the few reasons for me to really want a PS3 but I just can't justify it at the current price, especially with the piles of games that I am yet to play on the systems that I own.
Number of 1cc's : 5
Now playing: Gunbird
LtC

Post by LtC »

PainAmplifier

Post by PainAmplifier »

sjewkestheloon wrote:I'm incredibly pleased to hear about Dark Souls being multiformat. Demon's Souls is one of the few reasons for me to really want a PS3 but I just can't justify it at the current price, especially with the piles of games that I am yet to play on the systems that I own.
I personally don't want Dark Souls to be released on the 360 and I would prefer it if it stayed a PS3 exclusive. There are a lot of varied reasons for that, but trying to explain them all at once is too big of a effort to take this thread over for it. So I'll just sum everything up as, If Dark Souls gets the Multi-plat 'treatment' it's going to be a hindrance/detrimental effect/hold the game back compared to if the game was an exclusive.

I'm not against cross platform releases per se, but I am definately against *simultaneous* platform releases. Just look at all the ones released as such and it's easy to see how the game is just 'better' on one platform, or worse yet is bad on all platforms as a result.
LtC

Post by LtC »

PainAmplifier wrote:
sjewkestheloon wrote:I'm incredibly pleased to hear about Dark Souls being multiformat. Demon's Souls is one of the few reasons for me to really want a PS3 but I just can't justify it at the current price, especially with the piles of games that I am yet to play on the systems that I own.
I personally don't want Dark Souls to be released on the 360 and I would prefer it if it stayed a PS3 exclusive. There are a lot of varied reasons for that, but trying to explain them all at once is too big of a effort to take this thread over for it. So I'll just sum everything up as, If Dark Souls gets the Multi-plat 'treatment' it's going to be a hindrance/detrimental effect/hold the game back compared to if the game was an exclusive.

I'm not against cross platform releases per se, but I am definately against *simultaneous* platform releases. Just look at all the ones released as such and it's easy to see how the game is just 'better' on one platform, or worse yet is bad on all platforms as a result.
I'm not exactly sure so correct me if I'm wrong here: From software is going to make it for the PS3 and then Namco bandai will handle porting to 360 and localizing it and the PS3 version.

So it's going to be exclusive to the PS3 in Japan (?)
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

PainAmplifier wrote:I'm not against cross platform releases per se, but I am definately against *simultaneous* platform releases. Just look at all the ones released as such and it's easy to see how the game is just 'better' on one platform, or worse yet is bad on all platforms as a result.
If the party doing the job sucks, then yes, or if the game is more of an exclusive at heart and another version is a shoddy port (like Bayonetta), but it doesn't have to be like that. My favourite example is the last gen Ubisoft - their multiplatform games used to fare best on the PC (if powerful enough), but no console version was screwed up as far as I can tell (I'm talking PoP, Splinter Cell, Rayman, BG&E). It all went south when SC: Double Agent came out, but that's another story.
EA has been rather decent on the multiplatform front, too. Say what you will about Dante's Inferno, but on both consoles it performs better (60 fps all the way) than Sony's own God of War 3 on Sony's own PS3 (and if Dante's Inferno is no good, it's not likely due to it being multiplatform).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

PainAmplifier wrote:

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree with you more. Sure there is usually in inferior 'version' when a game is multiformat but if an allegedly excellent game can be enjoyed by twice the audience, the developers can sell twice the amount (vast oversimplification of stats, I know) then I applaud it becoming multiformat.

Similarly I celebrated when I found out my PS3 playing brethren were getting Mass Effect 2, even if it was missing this first game of the trilogy.
Number of 1cc's : 5
Now playing: Gunbird
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

LtC wrote: I'm not exactly sure so correct me if I'm wrong here: From software is going to make it for the PS3 and then Namco bandai will handle porting to 360 and localizing it and the PS3 version.

So it's going to be exclusive to the PS3 in Japan (?)
Correct. They will need to adapt the PhyreEngine for the X360, though, since while it is open-platform, it's still only optimized for sony's platforms.

(needless to say I will buy this game day one - it's slowly starting to look like a 3rd person King's Field)
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

I may have to break my "I will not spend $59.99 on a game" rule for Dark Souls.

Haven't spent that much on a game since Growlanser Generations' LE.

Not one that was worth it, anyway.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

I, for one, am glad it will be multiplatform, since I plan on hacking my PS3. Which would pretty much prevent me from playing it online. I just hope the ports are virtually identical, for everyone's sake. But I don't think that will be too much of an issue, seeing as both FROM and Bandai Namco have plenty of experience with multiplatform development, and from what I can remember all the ground-up multiplatform games released by both developers so far have turned out more or less identical on both the PS3 and 360.
ZOM wrote:Correct. They will need to adapt the PhyreEngine for the X360, though, since while it is open-platform, it's still only optimized for sony's platforms.
That's assuming it's actually using PhyreEngine. It could be using one of FROM's multiplatform engines, an all-new one, or a different licensed 3rd-party one. Based on the trailer, the art style, character models, and animations between both games seem nearly identical. But I don't think that's enough to base a judgment on one way or the other, since those sorts of things can be transplanted between engines. Could definitely still be using PhyreEngine though. Even if it is, it shouldn't cause much of an issue. Demon's Souls didn't exactly push the PS3 to its limits.
ZOM wrote:(needless to say I will buy this game day one - it's slowly starting to look like a 3rd person King's Field)
Open-world, no more classes, and no more world tendency.

It pretty much is King's Field now (sans first-person view, but hopefully it's optional), which is exactly what I wanted. Thanks for answering my prayers FROM.

Now I just hope offline play is actually balanced this time. But even if it's not, the revised multiplayer and lack of world tendency should make it far more tolerable at least.

Also, lots of screenshots and concept art here :

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/2389297.html
:lol:
PainAmplifier

Post by PainAmplifier »

One of the main problems with 'multiplatform' releases, is that you are always working towards the "Lowest Common Denominator".

Yes, that's right. You are always constrained by what is possible *only* on both platforms. If one or the other is better at something you will never be able to take full advantage of it, as you have to restrict yourself to what can be done on the other platform as well.

That is one of the major reasons I don't like multi-platform releases. (Across consoles at least, PC to console is another issue entirely.)

I have far fewer problems with *Ports* between systems. The Ninja Gaiden series is a fair example of this, although there are some changes made that I *Didn't* like at all. Like the lack of blood in the Sigma version. But those have less to do with the actual game engine and more to do with outside factors. (Politics, Personell and such.)

I kinda wish that Sony had delayed the release by a year, dropped all the unnecessary media ports from the PS3 and stuck in more RAM into the console instead of what they did do. In that at least there would have been more of a difference between the two consoles this generation so it wouldn't be so easy for the suits to push that so much. Although the BluRay/hard drive combo does give the PS3 *some* differentiation from the 360 at least. More than the CPU does between the two at least.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Gotta say Pier Solar is one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time. the story is great, and the graphics are good, but for me its the music that is the best
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

PainAmplifier wrote:One of the main problems with 'multiplatform' releases, is that you are always working towards the "Lowest Common Denominator".

Yes, that's right. You are always constrained by what is possible *only* on both platforms. If one or the other is better at something you will never be able to take full advantage of it, as you have to restrict yourself to what can be done on the other platform as well.
You don't need EVERY console game to make the most of hardware, do you? This is not even possible (and I doubt From Software tried to achieve that with Demon's Souls). I'm all for developers focusing on things more relevant to gameplay and aesthetics alike than squeezing the very last drop of horsepower out of the platform. When Guild Wars came out, it obviously wasn't pushing PCs to their limits, and yet it was (still is if you ask me) a looker and all around very accomplished effort. FALCOM keeps making low tech games exclusively for the PC (where technical possibilities are greater than everywhere else at this point), and I can't complain about it as long as they look good and play well. If Burnout Paradise is a multiplatform compromise, then I'd like to see more compromises along those lines etc.
I like flashy exclusives taking advantage of platform's unique qualities as much as another person, but keeping your game exclusive doesn't warrant it's gonna be that special. It takes more than that.
PainAmplifier wrote:I kinda wish that Sony had delayed the release by a year, dropped all the unnecessary media ports from the PS3 and stuck in more RAM into the console instead of what they did do. In that at least there would have been more of a difference between the two consoles this generation so it wouldn't be so easy for the suits to push that so much. Although the BluRay/hard drive combo does give the PS3 *some* differentiation from the 360 at least. More than the CPU does between the two at least.
When such a move was any good for console's welfare? How many consoles sporting this sort of expansions were something more than underdogs? Did additional RAM turn the cogwheels of fate in favour of N64 and Saturn? Last thing I want from a console game is to force me to buy some gizmo or the whole new unit when I already own one in working order. No, sir, if they screwed up hardware design first time around, getting around its shortcomings is up to developers who have chosen the platform despite those shortcomings. Worked for the PS2 (take Shinobi for example - looks plain, but has got most important areas secured: fast killing, good character animation, immaculate performance).
As for the PS3, bringing full backwards compatibility back would be most likely a smarter move (at this point not as smart as porting PS2 games to PS3 and peddling them as "HD remakes", though) than throwing in more RAM and hoping for developers to make PS3 games incompatible with older PS3s.
The way out is cut off

PainAmplifier

Post by PainAmplifier »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:You don't need EVERY console game to make the most of hardware, do you? This is not even possible (and I doubt From Software tried to achieve that with Demon's Souls). I'm all for developers focusing on things more relevant to gameplay and aesthetics alike than squeezing the very last drop of horsepower out of the platform. When Guild Wars came out, it obviously wasn't pushing PCs to their limits, and yet it was (still is if you ask me) a looker and all around very accomplished effort. FALCOM keeps making low tech games exclusively for the PC (where technical possibilities are greater than everywhere else at this point), and I can't complain about it as long as they look good and play well. If Burnout Paradise is a multiplatform compromise, then I'd like to see more compromises along those lines etc.
I like flashy exclusives taking advantage of platform's unique qualities as much as another person, but keeping your game exclusive doesn't warrant it's gonna be that special. It takes more than that.
Not *every* game, just enough that there is some differentiation between the platforms. These differences are things which can inspire or permit things that would not otherwise be done. When every game is designed for the same specs, you lose a lot of what can make games special. And it doesn't need to 'push' the console developement to the limits, it just needs to take advantage of what exists. Taking advantage of the Hard Drive on a PS3 is just one example of this. For the Wii it was the WiiMote. Although I think that was overdone to death, especially now with the Kinect/Move showing how limited 'motion' control is when you are actually making games worth playing use them. Xbox's main draw after it's bigger/faster/better was probably a combination of Live and how the controller is setup making it easier for some to play FPS with.
Obiwanshinobi wrote: When such a move was any good for console's welfare? How many consoles sporting this sort of expansions were something more than underdogs? Did additional RAM turned the cogwheels of fate in favour of N64 and Saturn? Last thing I want from a console game is to force me to buy some gizmo or the whole new unit when I already own one in working order. No, sir, if they screwed up hardware design first time around, getting around its shortcomings is up to developers who have chosen the platform despite those shortcomings. Worked for the PS2 (take Shinobi for example - looks plain, but has got most important areas secured: fast killing, good character animation, immaculate performance).
As for the PS3, bringing full backwards compatibility back would be most likely a smarter move (at this point not as smart as porting PS2 games to PS3 and peddling them as "HD remakes", though) than throwing in more RAM and hoping for developers to make PS3 games incompatible with older PS3s.
Such a move was good for the console's welfare! You don't have to go too far back to see why. Genesis = Sonic, (S)/NES has Mario, PCE/Turbo had 5 player multi and Bonk, Ys, etc. (Even if NA management of that system was complete failure.) Each system had its strengths/weaknesses, and when games were made with them in mind we got some great games as a result.

I'm going to go out on a limb however and say that sadly, the days of there being major differences between the systems is nearly over with along with the rise of 3D over 2D games. There are going to be tradeoffs in how programming is done for the graphics, but it's those details that are going to mean better games/sooner, rather than more mediocre games built slower for multiple targets. It's going to be thing more along the lines of DX versus OpenGL, and color vs draw distance, etc. Things that make a difference, but only after you stop and take a look. No the difference most people will actually see themselves right now, is the Network, the Downloadable environment, the Disk (HD and removable) and the 'little' extras like wireless/bluetooth etc.

As far as hardware goes though, *THAT* has never been a great idea. You can get away with adding a single piece, like a CD to a Cartridge system, but much more than that and you do end up killing your system with too many addons. (Or too soon) The Sega Genesis, Dreamcast, Jaguar, PCE, Saturn, etc. Pretty much all of those hastened their demise by throwing out way too many 'upgrades' and pushing 'revised/updated' consoles too fast for consumers to go for them. 'Little' extras/peripherals in moderation are tolerable, but things that segregate your games on more than your control scheme are very bad.

And you say you don't want to buy all the extra crap? Well that is what multi platform is breaking things on. PS3 has a HD, the 360 does not...not every multi platform game made HAS to compensate OR it must require a HD on a system that did and still doesn't *require* or come with one. Ditto for the extra space BluRay has over DVD media. (HD-DVD was an add-on, and it's dead now.)
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Well, if I understood correctly (could have been wrong about that), you wanted another PS3 hardware revision to have more RAM and new PS3 games to make use of this feature which would render them either incompatible with or inferior on earlier PS3 models. This didn't strike me as a terribly good idea. A game cartridge sporting an extra chip or a game bundled with a microphone accessory is one thing. Flipping off your existent userbase is another thing entirely.
The way out is cut off

PainAmplifier

Post by PainAmplifier »

A slight difference, I didn't say that I wanted another version of the PS3 with more memory, I said that I wanted the existing PS3 to have more memory. That is, the existing PS3 should have been released at the very start with more memory.

This is not an excessive wish either. Even for the time the PS3 was first released, 512MB was not a huge amount of memory. For the 360, which was released earlier it was closer but still a bit underwhelming as you compare it to what was standard in computers for that time as well. This is mostly because that memory is the total memory in the system, compared to a PC where you could find that much in the video card alone.

Granted, consoles have pretty much always been built/designed around cheaper/older hardware, that this current generation is actually pushing the envelope a bit, despite how far behind the 'bleeding edge' is on the PC. And that's another factor, with just about everyone jumping over themselves to leave the PC or make multi-platform games that target the (now very obsolete) console graphics capabilities. That focus on lower performance consoles, really does remove a lot of the drive to improve that made the PC market such a lively place for so long.

Although I do have to say that in the future, if the PC is going to become the hotbed of innovation again it's NOT going to be in the graphics department again. No, I think graphics in general have reached a plateau of acceptability. Some of that I'm going to say is limited by how time/resource consuming it is. No where the PC still has room to shine is in areas that consoles are still leagues behind. I think multi-core, multi-threading is going to be the basis of more involved game AI and larger more active worlds. And as much as I would like to say the extra memory would be used well, I have to say I'm not seeing it. Current generation MMO's use a ton of it for example, but I find that most of it is wasted on bling, while gameplay itself has been withering over the last few years. Things have never been prettier...but stupider as well. It's just that with all the focus on console/multi-platform developement, there just isn't the time or effort being made to explore and develop those areas...at least not yet.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Well I broke down and pre-ordered Dragon Quest 6 on the grounds that 5 disappeared pretty quickly and I can't imagine any DS game is getting a terribly large run with the 3DS right around the corner. Same logic applies to Radiant Historia + the atlus factor. It's a lean month for me though and I still want to finish Etrian Odyssey 3 before I move on to another rpg.
SHMUP sale page.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Yeah, I'm picking up a whole truckload of stuff, most of which I'm not going to get around to playing for some time - Radiant Historia's on my list too, as are the Ys 1 and 2 pack and Hyperdimension Neptunia, plus Ar Tonelico 3 next month (don't judge me :P), and that's before I even get into any other genres. Been successful so far in resisting Trails in the Sky, though...
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Trails in the Sky is shaping up to be the best of the bunch.

Neptunia has Idea Factory at the helm, who I loathe, and Ar Tonelico 3... ech. It just looks tacky at this point.

And I liked the first two despite their flaws. Croix was awesome in 2. 3rd's lead looks goofy.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

cj iwakura wrote:Trails in the Sky is shaping up to be the best of the bunch.
Maybe there's a feature or two that I haven't been exposed to as of yet, but the game looks very generic to me from what I've seen so far...not necessarily BAD, but when it comes to JRPGs at this point I need them to go out on a limb a little to catch my interest. Again, is there something about it I'm missing?
Neptunia has Idea Factory at the helm, who I loathe, and Ar Tonelico 3... ech. It just looks tacky at this point.
Yeah, their stuff tends to be pretty hit or miss, but like you I enjoyed the first two Ar Tonelico games, and have to see the last one through eventually...Neptune, on the other hand, is just too full of geekiness for me to pass up, and is also supposedly an unofficial "upgrade" of Trinity Universe, which I liked more than I thought I would.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

lilmanjs wrote:Gotta say Pier Solar is one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time. the story is great, and the graphics are good, but for me its the music that is the best
Damn you, I want to play this game so much.

Still playing Mana Khemia, and it hasn't become repetitive like I thought it would. Suprisingly good game that feels reminiscent of the SNES/Genny rpg days. I love the music, and the innocence of the game, gives me that good Lunar feel that I miss so much.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Anybody else pick up Radiant Historia this week? I'm enjoying it so far - a neat premise, a good battle system and characters who aren't irritatingly over-the-top for once.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

I've got Radiant Historia coming via amazon. Broke down and got it after seeing some of the reviews.

Been playing Dragon Quest 6 and really dig it. DQ9 just bored me to tears, even though I've loved the rest of the franchise. 6 has me back in my comfort zone. Wish I could say exactly what I didn't like about 9, but it's amazing how tight the DQ formula really is and why changing it is in general a bad move.
SHMUP sale page.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

CMoon wrote:Wish I could say exactly what I didn't like about 9, but it's amazing how tight the DQ formula really is and why changing it is in general a bad move.
Slow pudgy battles, having to wiggle your eyes all over the place just to enter commands, ugly claustrophobic cramped command entry screen, scrolling slowdown when you have a lot of guys onscreen at once?

It's freaking enormously critical that an action take 2.5 seconds or less to animate. Dragon Warrior 1 is superior to a LOT of jRpgs for this very simple reason and it kind of enrages me designers can't see something so damn obvious.
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

My suspicion is that DQ9 was meant to be a multi-player game, but when reduced to single player, it's just too vacous. DQ worlds in general feel alive with all kinds of dumb stuff going on. I just didn't feel it with DQ9.
SHMUP sale page.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

CMoon wrote:My suspicion is that DQ9 was meant to be a multi-player game, but when reduced to single player, it's just too vacous. DQ worlds in general feel alive with all kinds of dumb stuff going on. I just didn't feel it with DQ9.
That is exactly what it was meant to be. Four players and real-time to boot.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327