Which stools are sized best for Candy Cabinets?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TastySoil

Which stools are sized best for Candy Cabinets?

Post by TastySoil »

I'm sure it's been discussed to death, but what stools do you guys use for your candy cabs? I've seen people mention one from Ikea (can anyone post a link?) or is there a supplier in the USA for the stools they use in Japanese arcades? Thanks for the info!
dmauro

Re: Which stools are sized best for Candy Cabinets?

Post by dmauro »

I've got some nice folding chairs that are the standard height and they are perfect. I think they look nicer than stools (and store away better too) :)
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Ikea has a quite cheap chair called Jeff that folds and looks quite good in front of the cabinet. It also has back support, and that's better than the japanese ones. But if you're after a stool that looks like the TAITO ones in black leather, you're after the Julius bar stool, but you'll have to saw off the legs. I have both, and prefer Jeff for comfort, but Julius for aesthetics.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Moved to Hardware.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
cools

Post by cools »

TastySoil wrote:I'm sure it's been discussed to death, but what stools do you guys use for your candy cabs? I've seen people mention one from Ikea (can anyone post a link?) or is there a supplier in the USA for the stools they use in Japanese arcades? Thanks for the info!
Japanese ones, imported.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

emphatic wrote:Ikea has a quite cheap chair called Jeff that folds and looks quite good in front of the cabinet.
Have em, love em.
However they do get a bit creaky after some time (like 1.5 years).
But then again you can always buy new ones for 5,99€ a piece.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Ikea used to have the Forby for $4.99 but then discontinued them and renamed it Fritiof for a dollar more, and then discontinued them as well. Latest version of their cheap low stools seems to be the Marius but changed the design. At least its better than this garbage can turned upside down and marketed as a stool.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Those discountinued Ikea produced Forby stools are the perfect height and size for them candy cabs. I've got an all-black colored one myself. Tis a shame that they were discountinued though.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
TastySoil

Post by TastySoil »

looks like Ikea is the way to go. There is one out here a little drive from my house so looks like i'm going to make a trek out there sometime soon. Thanks for all the recommendations!
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

cools wrote: Japanese ones, imported.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Ikea is in the states too :roll: they get everywhere dont they
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
ploos

Post by ploos »

Hi, new here, first post. I prefer basic office-type chairs. You can adjust them for your height, whim, and circumstance (ie: if you build your own sit-down cab or something; I have an Impress, and my other two 'rigs' are sit-down). In fact, one of them is a glorified drum throne by Roc n Soc, round seat vs saddle. And, of course, having back support is half the equation for me.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I've been looking at drummer stools as well, but right now I'm pretty satisfied with my Ikea Julius bar stools that I've hacked the legs off of:

Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

emphatic wrote:It also has back support, and that's better than the japanese ones.
If you need back support on hour cab's shmup chair you're doing it wrong. :wink:
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

emphatic wrote:I've been looking at drummer stools as well, but right now I'm pretty satisfied with my Ikea Julius bar stools that I've hacked the legs off of:
Very Nice
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Another cheap alternative is to pick up an Target branded 24" "Logan bar stool" with top mounted faux leather padding and trim it down to size. And the price ain't too shabby at $19.99 USD + tax. Since this particular stool uses metal (rather than wood) for overall support, a good hacksaw will trim it down to a respectable size at 17.5"-19" in height. Sure beats sitting on a trimmed down-to-size wooden bar stool with no padding whatsoever.

It's nice to sit down on a chair stool with a firm metal arched back support brace. Makes 'em serious shmup sessions a breeze...can't say that with them Japanese arcade stools though.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

emphatic wrote:I've been looking at drummer stools as well, but right now I'm pretty satisfied with my Ikea Julius bar stools that I've hacked the legs off of:

holy shit can i move in at your place? <3
ASK

Post by ASK »

Dave_K. wrote:Ikea used to have the Forby for $4.99 but then discontinued them and renamed it Fritiof for a dollar more, and then discontinued them as well. Latest version of their cheap low stools seems to be the Marius but changed the design. At least its better than this garbage can turned upside down and marketed as a stool.
Marius + Children's stool cover =

Cheap, good height.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Unfortunately I don't have an Ikea near me, but I did pick these up from Overstock:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/18 ... oduct.html

Should be in this week, I'll let you know how they turn out.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Jockel wrote:

holy shit can i move in at your place? <3
That would be fun, but the girlfriend says "no way".
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

emphatic wrote:That would be fun, but the girlfriend says "no way".
Just because she's jealous of our relationship? :mrgreen:
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

When I play my cabs my girlfriend thinks i'm having an affair with them. Its hard to explain the draw of 2D sprites, loud arcade sounds and a few beers.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

neorichieb1971 wrote:When I play my cabs my girlfriend thinks i'm having an affair with them. Its hard to explain the draw of 2D sprites, loud arcade sounds and a few beers.
Hard to explain beer, really?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Well, you drink beer to be socialable most of the time. Not lock yourself in a room full of machines and turn the light out. :wink:
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
captpain

Post by captpain »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Well, you drink beer to be socialable most of the time. Not lock yourself in a room full of machines and turn the light out. :wink:
Not for this forum's population.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

zing!
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Just got my stools from Overstock. They work great, perfect height, padding is nice. Glad I got them. If you're somewhere without easy access to a place that sells cheap stools like this, it's worth checking out.
shaunf

Post by shaunf »

I picked up NILS stools from IKEA: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89861388

Overall, the seats are wide enough for everyone who's used them so far, with comfortable padding for long play sessions; but to nitpick, they're a little creaky and slightly taller (possibly only a cm or so.. I'm anal) than the stools I remember playing on in Tokyo.

Would someone be willing to measure the height and/or dimensions for their imported Japanese stool (e.g., http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3144/310 ... e0.jpg?v=0) and post that info? I could not find this info anywhere online.
AlvinJosh33

Post by AlvinJosh33 »

You may want to look at kitchensource.com. They have wide varieties of stools you might find interesting. You can even customize according to your need. They have great designs as well.
Last edited by AlvinJosh33 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cools

Post by cools »

Bloody spam bots.