HD Xploder shmup compatibility list

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SGGG2

HD Xploder shmup compatibility list

Post by SGGG2 »

HD Xploder is a PS2 boot disc (available in PAL and NTSC format) that forces progressive scan output over component or VGA. It supports a variety of resolutions, but in my experience, 480p/60hz and 567p/50hz via component, are the only ones worth bothering with. 720p and 1080i are horribly squashed -- unplayable if you ask me. On my 1080p display, 576p *appears* to have 1:1 pixel mapping; the games look utterly fantastic, but there are black bars on the top and bottom as well as the sides. See the link below for specifics:

http://www.xploder.net/faqs/5/Xploder-H ... or-PS2.htm

Why would I want this?
  • Double the resolution and two frames faster, i.e, games look better and feel more responsive.
Where can I get it?
  • The "Xploder HDTV Player" never really caught on and is no longer in production, you'll have to check sites like ebay and Amazon. If you have the softmod exploit FreeMcBoot running, you can find a bootable .ELF file floating about. Google is your friend.
Any alternatives? What about backups?
Confirmed working 480p
  • Gradius V^
    XII Stag (Unimpressive)
    Zone of the Enders 2
Confirmed working 576p
  • Gradius V
    Zone of the Enders 2
^Known Issues
  • Gradius V - 480p Freezes on intro. SCH-30001
Complete* list of PS2 shooters
  • Cho Aniki: Sei Naru Protein Densetsu
    Dodonpachi Dai-Oujou
    Dragon Blaze
    ESPgaluda
    Gigawing generations
    Gradius 3
    Gradius 4
    Gradius V
    Gunbird I&II
    Homura
    Hudson Selection Vol. 2: Star Soldier
    Ibara
    Mushihimesama
    Psyvarier Complete Edition
    Psyvariar II
    Rez
    R-Type Final
    Sega Ages 2500 Vol. 3: Fantasy Zone 3D-Ages
    Sega Ages Vol. 32: Fantasy Zone Complete (Native 480p)
    Shienryu Explosion
    Shikigami No Shiro (aka Mobile Light Force 2/USA)
    Shikigami No Shiro II
    Silpheed: The Lost Planet
    Simple 2000 Series Vol. 37:The shooting
    Sol divide
    Skygunner
    Space Raiders
    Strikers 1945 I&II
    SuperLite 2000 Vol. 8: Psyvarier Medium Unit
    SuperLite 2000 Vol. 10: Psyvarier Revision
    Thunder Force VI (Native 480p)
    XII Stag
    Zone of the Enders
    Zone of the Enders 2

*pm any additions
Last edited by SGGG2 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 12 times in total.
SGGG2

Re: HD Xploder shmup compatibility list

Post by SGGG2 »

Placeholder
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Placeholder
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

But using 576p50 output instead of 480p60 output on a NTSC game will cause the scrolling to studder.

XII Stag (japanese) is supported by a XPloder disc, but the results are not impressive. Probably because some lousy 2D scaling is applied on a code basis.

Sometime back someone posted that he got Mushimesama to work in 480p60. I never succeeded with this one.

From the list TF6 runs in 480p natively. Also does SA: Fantasy Zone Complete (Vol. 32).

PS: Thanks for starting the thread. I think we should add non-shmup games as well. At lease for some 2D games or beat'em ups the boot disc would come in quite handy.
antron

Post by antron »

Mushihimesama works in 480p with HDXploder on my setup. I'll post my PS2 model.

Warning, HDxploder responds differently to different the video settings, like tate. remove your memory card to be sure.

edit:
my bad, that's for the 480p patch, not xploder.
Last edited by antron on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Fudoh wrote:But using 576p50 output instead of 480p60 output on a NTSC game will cause the scrolling to studder.
Whatever the cause is, I can tell you it's not from forcing NTSC games to run @ 50hz. The only time I ever get stuttering via 576p is when the signal is routed through the HD Box Pro. My PS2 SCPH-30001, and all my original games are NTSC and work just fine on my Westinghouse LVM-37w3se.
Fudoh wrote:PS: Thanks for starting the thread. I think we should add non-shmup games as well. At lease for some 2D games or beat'em ups the boot disc would come in quite handy.
We can't have you do all the work. :wink: I'd like to keep first post focused on generalities and shooting games, but I think we should have a 2D sprite-based list as well as one for games that benefit greatly from the increased resolution.
antron wrote:Warning, HDxploder responds differently to different the video settings, like tate. remove your memory card to be sure.
What happens exactly when games are set to 240p? My shooters are backups. I'd like to add it to the first post.
antron

Post by antron »

SGGG2 wrote:
antron wrote:Warning, HDxploder responds differently to different the video settings, like tate. remove your memory card to be sure.
What happens exactly when games are set to 240p? My shooters are backups. I'd like to add it to the first post.
I tried 240p patching mushi, then running with xploder, but it made no difference. Tate and yoko both worked.

I got this mixed up with the 480p patch. That is the one that behaved differently depending on the screen rotation, sorry.

also, isn't there a bug with xploder, where you have to set the resolution each time, if you let it load its last state from the memory card it won't load with some games.

Also, I can't let G5 play the entro, or it locks up, with xploder.
Last edited by antron on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

SGGG2, did you confirm Mushihimesama on your setup ?

antron, please don't forget to check which PS2 model you've got, since I can't get Mushihimesama running in 480p. Have tried with the 480i original disc and the 240p patched disc.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

I'm going by Antron. My cave titles are all backups. If you can decipher either of these for me

http://www.psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58531
http://imgur.com/DrOMa.png

I can check. I wonder if 480p gets rid of the weird scrolling artifacts. The 480p patcher quits on launch in both boot camp and Parallells running XP on my Macbook. :|

Edit: Got Mushi running at 480p with GSMode Selector. It looks terrible.
Last edited by SGGG2 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
antron

Post by antron »

Fudoh wrote:SGGG2, did you confirm Mushihimesama on your setup ?

antron, please don't forget to check which PS2 model you've got, since I can't get Mushihimesama running in 480p. Have tried with the 480i original disc and the 240p patched disc.
30001, US, two different ones.

I forgot to mention the strange way in which I load it, as my PS2's are not modded:

HDXploder->Swap Magic->Mushi Backup

I run in VGA, It only loads about 30% of the time (backup?), so I leave it running for weeks sometimes.

I am pretty sure I have to set Xploder to 480p VGA manually (cycle through all modes), even if it comes up in this state at load. It is a bug I read about elsewhere.

The strange background effects are present in 480p. Don't know if it helps, but you can run "VGA" mode, even in component YUV, as that is really set in the PS2 menu, not Xploder.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Ahhh! I set my PS2 settings to VGA, lost all picture and had to navigate the menu blindly. I have no idea how you're getting that thing to work.
antron

Post by antron »

SGGG2 wrote:Ahhh! I set my PS2 settings to VGA, lost all picture and had to navigate the menu blindly. I have no idea how you're getting that thing to work.
if you are using component, don't set the PS2 to RGB. you CAN set xploder to "VGA" mode though. I have no idea why xploder has separate modes for VGA/Component (offsets?)
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

When I select VGA via Xploder everything is shade of violet. Games still boot, but it's far from useable.
antron

Post by antron »

SGGG2 wrote:When I select VGA via Xploder everything is shade of violet. Games still boot, but it's far from useable.
I see, I didn't think that would change the colorspace, sorry.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Don't be sorry, just trying to figure out how this thing works. What kind of monitor are you using?
antron

Post by antron »

SGGG2 wrote:Don't be sorry, just trying to figure out how this thing works. What kind of monitor are you using?
Kortek VGA arcade monitor. The PS2 is set to RGB, and when progressive scan mode is enabled the console outputs sync-on-green VGA. I strip out the sync to make standard VGA with an old extron converter.

I guess it's possible that the Swap Magic somehow makes mushi work.

One thing you should try is always setting the video mode manually, even if it's already what you want. Scroll through all the component modes and come back to 480p, then try it.
jfs

Post by jfs »

Is it possible to output 480p with the rgb scart ?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You can output 480p "using" a RGB Scart cable, but both your input and the PS2 have to be set to Component instead of RGB.
jfs

Post by jfs »

So it's really possible to have 480p without YUV or vga cables?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The cable doesn't matter. It's the signal which matters. If you connect your PS2 to a YUV progressive-enabled display you can use whatever cable you like to make the connection. As a matter of fact the PS2's RGB cables are even better for 480p than the YUV cables in terms of picture noise.
jfs

Post by jfs »

But when i try to enable prog scan with jap games (ex kof2002), it's doesn't work. My ps2 is pluged to my tv with a scart cable.
antron

Post by antron »

jfs wrote:But when i try to enable prog scan with jap games (ex kof2002), it's doesn't work. My ps2 is pluged to my tv with a scart cable.
will your TV accept a component (YUV) signal via the scart plug? if so try setting the PS2 to component in the system settings.

I somehow doubt it will take SOG VGA via SCART, because that's what a PS2 does when in RGB progressive mode.
jfs

Post by jfs »

No, no YUV signal via scart plug.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Does anyone have any experience with the VGA modes? How's the PS2 internal scaling?
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

Just a head's up; there's a seller with a bunch of cheap Xploder's (PAL) on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/PS2-Xploder-PS2-HDT ... 222wt_1139 :)
antron

Post by antron »

I have an interesting addition to the HD Xploder list: 480p Gradius IV on the US Gradius III & IV compilation (III is compressed horizontally, at least in 480p)

But Gradius IV looks great! I'm curious to compare what I'm seeing to medium resolution PCB screenshots. But at least the jaggies on lines are gone.
shinjig

Post by shinjig »

SGGG2 wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the VGA modes? How's the PS2 internal scaling?
Its about the same as the HD scaling. It also runs it through an array of vert hz's settings. Enabling you to speed up the game. I've tried a 480i fighter at 640x480 at 72hz, which was a noticable gain in speed with no stutter or hichups in action. But those faster hz settings are monitor dependant.
matrigs

Post by matrigs »

mushihimesama works perfectly with GSMode Selector. used it for ages.

with GSMode i was able to run almost every game in hi-res. the only problem i encountered is in Persona 3 and 4 where the game runs double-speed for some reason.

the problem i have with GSMode is that every game is shifted and squeezed on the screen differently and i have very limited geometry controls on my tv. there are some options for shifting and changing the picture size but they are highly confusing and i never figured them out. is this the same with HD Xploder ? or does it center the game by itself ?
shinjig

Post by shinjig »

The HD TV player (which should be the same software as HD Exploder), allows you to center the resolution prior to starting the game.
antron

Post by antron »

Is it possible to launch GSMode from a harddrive using HDLoader? I haven't been keeping up with PS2 exploits lately, is there an easy way to launch this with a console that is not modded?