HD Xploder shmup compatibility list

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: HD Xploder shmup compatibility list

Post by Fudoh »

GSM is made for that. To create a current GSM boot disc you have to compile the ISO yourself.
antron

Post by antron »

Thanks Fudoh,

So you would first launch normal HDLoader, then choose GSMode, then from there you could launch back into HDLoader in HD, and choose a game to play in HD? (or go to the normal system menu and play from disc?)

It also appears that I could use HDloader to install FMCB to a memory card (with uLaunchELF) and then always launch GSMode from there.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

no ieaa. I *HAD* to create an iso by myself...
antron

Post by antron »

I think we are talking about different things, so I'll go back:

What's a "GSM boot disc"? Do you mean GSMode in ISO form that you put on the hard drive (with winhiip)?

If that's correct, I was asking how to use it from there.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

we're on the same track ;)

You asked wether you could boot GSM from the HDD. And I replied that you can, because it's supplied in .elf format anyway and that's the way it's supposed to be used.

I know this, because I wanted a GSM 0.36 ISO to use as a boot disc (because I don't have a HDD) and I had to compile the ISO myself from the supplied .elf file.

GSM is available here http://psx-scene.com/forums/f19/gs-mode ... ack-61808/
Download links at the bottom of the initial posting.
antron

Post by antron »

actually I asked if it can be launched from the harddrive using HDLoader. As far as I know only ISO rips can be launched that way, not elfs.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

got it. You can convert the elf file to an iso using CDGENPS2. I don't see why it shouldn't work.

On the GSM website it says to launch GSM first (e.g. from a boot CD) and start HDloader after that. One way or the other it should work.
antron

Post by antron »

It seems someone should have tried GSMode(ISO) from HDLoader by now. I would try, but being that I have no way to test if I made the GSMode ISO correctly it wouldn't be a good test (if it failed)

I seems I can at least do it this way:
HDLoader->uLaunchELF->GSMode->GameDisc

or use HDLoader to put FMCBoot on a memory card using uLaunchELF(ISO) just once, and then:
FMCBoot->GSMode->GameDisc

Or just stick with Xploder since it runs all I want for now (Gradius IV and V). But, the other ways do not require disc swapping... hummmm...
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Have you tryed Open Ps2 Loader v.08 instead of HDLoader? Because HD loader is a bit outdated, and open PS2 loader have a version compiled with the last GSM. I allways use OpenPs2 loader nowadays, but i still have the HDloader elf in a memory card for a few games that don't boot in Open PS2 Loader
antron

Post by antron »

Cool, didn't know about that, thanks.

But I guess I would still have to do the FMCB thing to run it (I'm not modded)
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Yes, you need to FMCB your memory card and then put the elfs on it in order to boot. You can put default launch for for Open ps2 loader, and in alternatively put hdloader in boot 2, etc
antron

Post by antron »

So I got GSMode Selector to run Gradius V in 480p.

But Gradius III/V locked up at the first menu in 480p with GSMode.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Overkill wrote:Have you tryed Open Ps2 Loader v.08 instead of HDLoader? Because HD loader is a bit outdated, and open PS2 loader have a version compiled with the last GSM. I allways use OpenPs2 loader nowadays, but i still have the HDloader elf in a memory card for a few games that don't boot in Open PS2 Loader
Where do you find Open PS2 Loader builds with GSM? I found one outdated one, once.

Not that I need it right now, my PS2 is currently used for playing Persona 4 in glitchy 480p widescreen thanks to codebreaker and ps2force480p.

BTW, definitely install free mcboot, with HDLoader it should be really easy to install and you won't ever have to deal with discs again.
antron

Post by antron »

I remembered that I have a swap magic disc, so running the FMCBoot install elf was not problem, but it doesn't work. I tried the current noobie, regular and multi, formated the official sony card too. It just doesn't do anything when I start the PS2 up.

So I am just launching the GSMode elf with swap magic until I find out what the problem is.

Edit: Apparently the bios on my slim ps2 is too new and it will never work.
Last edited by antron on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Where do you find Open PS2 Loader builds with GSM? I found one outdated one, once.
I think nowadays you won't find it on the net. You have to compile it by yourself. There are some tutorials on youtube and ps2 forums
antron

Post by antron »

here is a compile:
http://theisozone.com/downloads/playsta ... 9gsm-r640/
but it doesn't run Gradius V in 480p :( all I get is zoomed 480i
EDIT: I'm an idiot, see next post

and here are instructions on how to compile:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f19/gs-mode ... post969806
antron

Post by antron »

The elf linked above works great, I just forgot to go to the settings menu and change the display settings.

I can finally play Gradius V in HD without swapping anything. OPL rocks. With GSM it's like a dream come true. Now for G IV...

Added:
Just like with Xploder and GV, don't let the attract video play or it will lock up. Push buttons at the end of the opening Konami logo.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Great you got it working.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

A somehow related question: so far I've been using a GSM boot CD, but my PS2 should be able to load the GSM elf from a memory card upon boot just as well. Question though: how do I get the elf file onto my memory card ? Is there some kind of file browser which I can boot from CD which allows to copy files from a CD or USB drive to the memory card ?
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Sure, you need uLaunchELF, 4.42 is the last version. If you have a ps2 memory card its better you format it with freeMcboot. You can put the files in a regular fat32 usb pen drive, or in a cd if your ps2 boot cdr's. With that you can format your ps2 memory card, freeMcboot will do it all for you and the memory card will be ready to launch everything directly or from a browser. You can tell it to send GSM right away when boot the ps2, or launch it manualy from a browser. That way you save time and yours ps2 lens. If you are lucky to have a IDE hdd on your fat ps2 you can launch Open PS2 loader compiled with GSM, and then boot games from hdd with the progressive scans modes, or others like ntsc non interlaced etc
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Thanks, I'll look into it. I'm currenty using a modded PS2 slim, so no HDD right now....
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

You can tell it to send GSM right away when boot the ps2
That doesn't work, it will just give you a black screen.

If you really want to automatically launch GSM you have to tell Free McBoot to automatically launch uLaunchELF and then tell uLaunchELF to automatically start GSM.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

I think if you rename it as BOOT.ELF it will lauch automately. I have OPL8 as that and it will launch when i boot ps2. Don't know that GSM problem.

PS: My english is horrible, i was saying that i thinkED that it would work as "boot.elf" like i have for OPL8, or like in the past for other aplications: HDloader, xploder hdtv, etc. But never tryed in GSM because i only use OPL compiled with GSM.
antron

Post by antron »

Overkill wrote:If you are lucky to have a IDE hdd on your fat ps2 you can launch Open PS2 loader compiled with GSM, and then boot games from hdd with the progressive scans modes, or others like ntsc non interlaced etc
Fudoh wrote:Thanks, I'll look into it. I'm currenty using a modded PS2 slim, so no HDD right now....
neither a Fat PS2 or IDE drive are required. I am using the OPL+GSM with a Slim PS2 and a thumb drive. It's so awesome that OPL supports the FAT32 filesystem. This lets me launch the ELF and load the ISO from the same thumb drive. Just be sure to use the ISO2USB app to install the image:
http://opl.sksapps.com/index.php?opl=usb_install.html
finally a Linux app (no more winhiip!)

and if you don't plan on installing any large games, skip the special FAT32 format step. I just did a regular format for GV (cd games)
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

neither a Fat PS2 or IDE drive are required. I am using the OPL+GSM with a Slim PS2 and a thumb drive
That's new to me, because in the past the games larger than 4gb won't fit on a fat32 partition. But worst was the limitation of the USB 1 of the ps2. The great advantage of the fat ps2 with the ide drive (sata works too, but with a adapter) was the speed of the loadings, the usb 1 will be a pain. Or they solved that problem too?
antron

Post by antron »

I think it may still be slow. But there seems to be a fix for the size limitation.
matrigs

Post by matrigs »

so i put some stuff together and will do some extensive testing of this stuff in the next few days.

i basically have a modbo chipped ps2 (which allows to force output modes), freemcboot + gsm 0.36 launched from usb and a hdxploder bootdisc.

i will only check 480p modes.

so far tested :

mushihimesama ntsc-j (tate) 480i :
hdxploder - crash
gsm (y axis offset -20) - works but looks like poo. has a 1" black border on the longer side. definitely playable.

r-type final ntsc-u (yoko) 480i :
hdxploder - works sometimes. 1/3 tries.
gsm - crash

dodonpachi doj ntsc-j (tate) 240p :
hdxploder - this is a funny one. have to set my tv to 16:9 (is set to 4:3 for every other game) but still is a little squeezed along the longer side. playable when geometry corrected.
gsm (y axis offset -20) - basically the same.

persona 3 fes ntsc-u (yoko) 480i :
hdxploder - works and looks perfectly. playable as hell.
gsm - plays double speed. unplayable.

odin sphere ntsc-u (yoko) 480i :
hdxploder - works but is very squashed on the longer side. even setting 16:9 on my tv it's horizontally smaller than vertically. unplayable.
gsm - basically the same.

zone of the enders 2 ntsc-u (yoko) 480i :
hdxploder - works but is very squashed on the longer side. even setting 16:9 on my tv it's horizontally smaller than vertically. unplayable.

thunder force 6 ntsc-j (yoko) 480i :
hdxploder - works and looks very nice. and is perfectly centered. when using the internal 480p mode the picture is shifted on my tv screen.

chaos field ntsc-j (yoko) 480i :
hdxploder - 2d sprites have heavy flickering (fake 480p ?). unplayable.

raiden 3 ntsc-u (tate) 480i :
hdxploder - heavy flickering (fake 480p). unplayable.

gradius 5 ntsc-u (yoko) 480i :
hdxploder - works. very nice looking.

gigawing generations ntsc-j (yoko) 480i :
hdxploder - hangs right before the game is supposed to start.

more to come

SGGG2 - did you test zone of the enders 2 yourself ? didn't you have any problems with it ?
Last edited by matrigs on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Reference chart with many tested titles:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=30389
r-type final ntsc-u (yoko) 480i :
hdxploder - crash
gsm - crash
can't confirm this. My NTSC-J copy crashes with both, but the US version I have boots with the XPloder in 480p just lke the reference chart stated. What I didn't succeed in running was Sylpheed though. Oh, and Hokuto no Ken with GSM in 480p is a blast!
matrigs

Post by matrigs »

Fudoh wrote:Reference chart with many tested titles:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=30389
nice - haven't seen this topic before.

well i have to recheck r-type today. with gsm i had a bsod. it launched with hdxploder but crashed on the intro. maybe skipping it like silpheed might work.

[edit] - indeed it launched a few times. once i didn't even have to skip the intro. about 1/3 times though it crashes.

his list also states doj working without any problems so that's again different from my result.

i'm mostly curious about those vertically squashed games. it doesn't really seem to make a lot of sense.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Overkill wrote:I think if you rename it as BOOT.ELF it will lauch automately. I have OPL8 as that and it will launch when i boot ps2. Don't know that GSM problem.

PS: My english is horrible, i was saying that i thinkED that it would work as "boot.elf" like i have for OPL8, or like in the past for other aplications: HDloader, xploder hdtv, etc. But never tryed in GSM because i only use OPL compiled with GSM.
Won't work for GSM.
persona 3 fes ntsc-u (yoko) 480i :
hdxploder - works and looks perfectly. playable as hell.
gsm - plays double speed. unplayable.
Have you played through a lot of the game? I found Persona 4 pretty playable in 480p too, until some pretty severe framerate drops occurred here and there. Which was weird because there really shouldn't be a performance drop just by enabling 480p.
odin sphere ntsc-u (yoko) 480i :
Huh? I played Odin Sphere in 480p via GSM a bit, and while aspect ratio might have been a bit incorrect, horizontally smaller than vertically? Don't think that happened here. I'll test later.
raiden 3 ntsc-u (tate) 480i :
hdxploder - heavy flickering (fake 480p). unplayable.
Same result in GSM. Well not the flickering, but the fake 480p part. Half resolution.